DAFC.net
Home 12 August 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Skipper
Topic Originator: Gareth Keenan Investigates  
Date:   Wed 29 Jul 10:33

With Paton and Ashcroft away it leaves the armband up for grabs this season. Who do we feel are the likely candidates for this position?

From the players we have seen previously Murray seems to have the qualities one might look for. Very vocal and a big presence on the park.
Lewis Martin has been here for a long time and for the last couple of seasons has really kicked on and become quite the driving force for us from left back. He's also always encouraging the players around him so could be another candidate.
Ryan Dow is one of our most experienced players in the squad with a lot of years in the top flight. A bundle of energy always driving us up the park and I'm sure Crawford mentioned last season he's a player a lot of the younger boys look up to in training so could he fit the role?

Of course it could go to one of the new signings. Whittaker is not only one of the most experienced players in our division but possibly even Scottish football as a whole so he would be one of the obvious standouts but he may not be getting playing time every week.

Who would everyone want to see lead us out and join the list of previous legends to have captained our famous club for the coming season?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Skipper
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Wed 29 Jul 10:40

I think he'll give it to Whittaker, he's got bags of experience. I'd have Lewis Martin as his back up, but could be anyone of a few for that role.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: livipar2  
Date:   Wed 29 Jul 10:41

Euan Murray. I’d also try and extend his contract.

Mon the Pars!!!!!!!!!!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Craigston_Par  
Date:   Wed 29 Jul 10:48

I think it’ll be Watson
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Darrenwntr1984  
Date:   Wed 29 Jul 10:52

100% between Murray , Watson or whitts but I'd give it to the Scotland Internationalist personally

Darren winter
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 29 Jul 11:24

I'm sure Murray or Whittaker could do the job but not so sure about Lewis Martin. I think, like Ashcroft, his own game might suffer if he were given the added responsibility of captaincy.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Wed 29 Jul 11:34

Depending on how often we plan on playing sw. If not going to be a regular it will most likely be a 2 horse race between Murray or Watson.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParfectXI  
Date:   Wed 29 Jul 11:36

Since he’s also a coach - It would have to be Whittaker
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 13en  
Date:   Wed 29 Jul 11:39

I don’t think Whitt’s will have the armband if he’s on the coaching staff, surely you have a separate captain from coaches?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: KilsythPar  
Date:   Wed 29 Jul 11:47

Pretty sure Martin has captained the team in the past and he did it well and actually enhanced his own performance.
Personally I'd give it to Murray though.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Wed 29 Jul 11:53

Whittaker with Watson as the vice.

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Athletico  
Date:   Wed 29 Jul 15:51

I would like Martin, just as he has been such a presence for us for so long, however I think Whittaker is the standout candidate.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigDaddyM  
Date:   Wed 29 Jul 16:26

If we're playing Whittaker in a defensive/central mid position I'd say he'll be our best bet. Hopefully his coaching role along with his experience at higher levels will rub off on the younger players. But honestly the team is looking pretty peachy the now and there are definitely other candidates that could have something to prove.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DAFC_Mike  
Date:   Wed 29 Jul 16:35

Personal preference would be:

1) Murray
2) Watson
3) Martin
4) Whittaker
5) Dow
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ben,D.A  
Date:   Wed 29 Jul 16:40

Let's not forget that as we have a good looking squad, with possibly a few loan deals, most other teams in our league have plenty time to start building a set up against what they already know we have.
A leader on the pitch, like Whittaker, may not be the individual to be club Captain due to conflict as a coach.

only 11 make the team,the rest can just but dream.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Wed 29 Jul 19:43

The fact we have a genuine 4-5 options as captain speaks for itself and how well the manager has done getting such players in.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jock-par  
Date:   Wed 29 Jul 21:17

Lewis Martin for me. Has been through it all at Dunfermline and is a good talker on the pitch, reads the game well and I hope he can stay with the club for his testimonial. Not had somebody stay at the club for a long time since Nipper

We are Dunfermline, we're on our way back!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gareth Keenan Investigates  
Date:   Wed 29 Jul 22:40

Btw I will acknowledge that AJ made a great choice in keeping Martin when he reasonably could have released him. Fair play for that and we have really benefited from that decision.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Thu 30 Jul 11:10

Lewis would be my choice but Whittaker would probably make a better one because of his experience.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 30 Jul 13:09

Lewis Martin has blossomed into an important player for us and he's still quite young. I'm surprised to read he shouts a lot on the park, because off it he's quite a shy, quiet lad. Doesn't mean he wouldn't make a good skipper. He might not want the extra responsibilty though. It's more likely the manager will give the armband to an older, more experienced player. Everybody in the squad expect that and be fine with it.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc111  
Date:   Thu 30 Jul 13:18

Has to be Whittaker or Murray for me.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Thu 30 Jul 13:22

Whittaker is a stick on

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 30 Jul 20:04

If the bookies were taking bets, Whittaker and Murray would be first and second favourites.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Fri 31 Jul 09:27

Don’t think it should be Whittaker given his coaching capacity at the club.

One of his jobs will be getting the team to take more accountability for their performances and have a team of leaders so him taking up the captaincy role is probably counter productive.

You don’t need an arm band to be a leader, Whitts will know that, give it to someone else who it will mean much more too and bring out more qualities in.

Lewis Martin I hadn’t considered but mulling it over some more think that might not be a shabby idea!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Fri 31 Jul 10:02

Good point berry

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par_33  
Date:   Fri 31 Jul 11:51

On first thought, Whittaker, yes. But, he's going to be a coach too and I'd be very surprised if he features in every game, due to his age etc etc.

Murray or Martin for me.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net