DAFC.net
Home 22 September 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Sportscene.
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 12:54

The build up to the long awaited return of BBC Scotland Saturday Evening "Sportscene" ,after a long absence of 18 years, was deserved.

We expected fireworks.What we got was a damp squib.

The success of this programme,with just about the channel's biggest audience, is the marriage made in heaven of Jonathan Sutherland,Steven Thomson and Michael Stewart.The whole is more than the sum of the parts.

They are intelligent,experienced,articulate,funny with spontaneity.

Where is Michael this weekend, other than analysing the Hibs game on "Sportsound"?

Drafted in were Shelley Kerr and Leanne Crichton.

Intelligent,articulate,enthusiastic and knowledgeable,yes, about Ladies' football.Both have appeared on "Championship Sportscene" and "Saturday Sportscene Results" and have had to be rescued repeatedly by David Currie or Steven Thomson, because they lack that spontaneity which a comprehensive knowledge of the Men's game brings.I wonder where the pressure came from to omit Michael?.One can only speculate.

Post Edited (Sun 02 Aug 12:55)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Sportscene.
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 12:57

At least you haven't let it get to you

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 13:05

To be honest, the only reason the women are on the programme is because it's a tick box exercise. I'm shocked that the BBC haven't brought in a BAME pundit to tick another
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jojo  
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 13:09

I am sure they have ticked that box with Marvin Bartley on tonight’s edition although in fairness I really like Marvin as he is articulate , knowledgeable and doesn’t have the ex old firm agenda
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par_33  
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 13:25

Leanne Crichton is alright, but my god, Shelley Kerr was a broken down record, so drone n mind numbingly boring.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 13:33

Leanne Crighton is absolutely fine, I don't know where you get the "match made in heaven" with regards to the trio you said, Sportscene hasn't been renowned for the banter from its hosts. It pales very, very badly when compared to the bt coverage for example.

Shelley Kerr is awful.

My preference would be to get the guys who do "A view from the terrace" to do it, they're probably busy actually going to the games though.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 13:35

God, View from the Terrace is the best Scottish football show I can think of. Very well put together
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 13:53

So I haven't watched it yet but am I right in thinking that there were 2 female pundits with 1 male host on a mens football highlights show?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 13:56

Quote:

da_no_1, Sun 2 Aug 13:53

So I haven't watched it yet but am I right in thinking that there were 2 female pundits with 1 male host on a mens football highlights show?

I can see why you'd think that, but no.

Was Shelley Kerr and Craig Gordon, with Sutherland hosting.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 14:03

Quote:

Grant, Sun 2 Aug 13:56

Quote:

da_no_1, Sun 2 Aug 13:53

I can see why you'd think that, but no.

Was Shelley Kerr and Craig Gordon, with Sutherland hosting.

Thanks for clarifying Grant

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gareth Keenan Investigates  
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 14:30

Shelley Kerr has all the charisma of a plain ham, ready salted crisps and Diet Coke meal deal. Up there with Micah Richards in channel changing abilities.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 14:30

Was Shelley Kerr the Scotland boss at the last World Cup, if she was, I believe in the final game she showed a total lack of football knowledge.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 14:34

She also got pis*ed up after that game and put all the blame for the loss on the players and reduced some of them to tears. Glad she's making a wage out of my telly license.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 14:53

That wee rat they have presenting isn't much better. He's the worst presenter/reporter I've ever seen

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 15:08

So not so good then?

Personally I prefer just the highlights, if it's MOTD I fast forward the pundits.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossDAFC  
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 15:18

Was nothing particularly new but the abuse is strange. It’s some brief analysis on the highlights, what do people expect?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 15:31

I'll bite - I expect charismatic, knowledgeable pundits talking about the games on show, not women, who are simply there to tick boxes.

That goes for Sky & MOTD too.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 15:49

That reads as if you don't think women are capable of being charismatic and knowledgeable. I can think of plenty male pundits who don't tick these particular boxes.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 15:55

Exactly Wee Eck and yet those male pundits continue to get jobs. I can think of a couple of the female ex players on sky sports who are able to deliver analysis on a game of football just as well as the men.
Was anyone complaining when Dion Dublin was part of the analysis team for the women's World Cup? I mean he's only got experience of men's football so how can he tell us about what going on when a woman hits a shot into the top corner?

There's battle lines being drawn Nobody's right if everybody is wrong.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 16:22

The scouse woman on sky with the flock of seagulls hair - her voice is so annoying. So is Jamie Carraghers right enough.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 16:25

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 2 Aug 15:49

That reads as if you don't think women are capable of being charismatic and knowledgeable. I can think of plenty male pundits who don't tick these particular boxes.

Those 2 on Sportscene are terrible to watch. If you enjoy watching them Eck then that's up to you. Michael Stewart and Steven Thomson were really good to watch last season. Their analysis was excellent and the banter really entertaining. Why change it? If you think it's for anything other than box-ticking you're deluded

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 16:48

I rarely watch Sportscene as it happens and I didn't watch it last night but I don't like sweeping statements which suggest women are incapable of commenting on football matches. If you want to promote such neanderthal notions fair enough.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 17:00

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 2 Aug 16:48

I rarely watch Sportscene as it happens and I didn't watch it last night but I don't like sweeping statements which suggest women are incapable of commenting on football matches. If you want to promote such neanderthal notions fair enough.

Says he doesn't like making sweeping statements yet makes one about me. Excellent.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 17:13

I'm only repeating what you said about women commentating on football. Are you disowning it?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 17:36

Where exactly did he say woman are incapable of commentating on football. Tell us exactly please.

It's fairly obvious he said he would prefer charismatic entertaining presenters not just woman put in to tick boxes, he makes no comment to suggest woman can't be that. He implied the woman they have chucked on are garbage which if you actually watched them you would understand why he said that. Classic wee eck making up nonsense so he can come in and save the day as the white knight of .net when there is no issue in the first place.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 18:12

sorry are all these plaudits for steven thomson and michael stewart for real???

steven thomson has zero charisma or likeability and i think i'd rather watch paint dry... whereas michael stewart just tries to be controversial, but comes across like a spoilt brat!

not watched the new presenters but doubt they could be any worse than that pair!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 18:51

This ^^^^^ Stewarts head is so far up his own backside he cannot accept a different opinion/analysis from his ..... A big Bairn
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 18:59

Really hope this is a wind up, Thompson, Currie and Sutherland are unbelievably dull, don't mind Stewart but as another points out he likes to be controversial, might be less so now given hearts are in the championship 😂 The OP suggests there is something that women can't spot in the men's game? Like what? Alex Scott for instance has been a breath of fresh air in the English game compared to groaners like Shearer, Lawrenson etc. Totally agree the lineup last night of Shelley Kerr and Craig Gordon were extremely poor, but Thompson nor Currie are any better than Crichton either. They're all just a bit 'meh'
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 19:26

Michael Stewart knows his football. That’ll do me

I don’t mind Thompson either and agree that these two and Sutherland combined well.

David Currie tries to be funny, but he just isn’t.

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Sun 02 Aug 19:27)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 19:58

Yes, Alex Scott is excellent, whereas Alan Shearer and Danny Murphy have zero charisma, talk mince sometimes too.

Keep it brief I prefer, when the football league show was on Ch5, I like ked that, just a few comments then onto the action.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 20:23

Danny Murphy is knowledgable about his football

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 20:28

I'm not on the wind up.

I liked last seasons Sportscene team. I watched the whole show every Sunday night.

I can't stand any of the female presenters on any football show, especially the aforementioned Scouser who's everywhere on Sky just now.

To be brutally honest I'm not arsed with women's football either.

There you go.

Post Edited (Sun 02 Aug 20:28)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 20:50

It must be conceded,in fairness, that the Sunday version of "Sportscene" was far superior to what was served up last night.

As others have pointed out,Marvin Bartley is highly experienced,articulate and intelligent.James McFadden has played at the highest level and explains tactics and formations.

I can only assume that those newspapers, who suggested Leanne Crichton was to cohost with Steven Thomson, were referring to the Friday "Championship Sportscene" programmes.

All of which does not answer my salient point.Where is Michael Stewart and,when BBC Scotland has an acknowledged ratings winner,why have they changed it?

Were they leaned on?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars no1  
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 21:36

Have always said it. Johnathon Sutherland Is a poor presenter. He’s dull no personality and has poor banter.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 01:22

Don't find James McFadden that great at all tbh, nor Thompson.

Bartley is good.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JimMcDAFC  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 09:45

Regardless of the personel presenting the prog. I don't think we even got the team lineups at the start of each game, did we? as i was only half watching half reading paoer.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 10:30

Watched the Saturday night show. Was disappointed that Thompson and Stewart weren't the pundits as the Sunday night show was working pretty well IMO.

I thought Craig Gordon was okay, but Shelley Kerr was dull as dishwater.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jock-par  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 10:46

I liked watching Thompson and Stewart. I have no problems with women being on the show if they are up to the job. Some of the comments Kerr made on Saturday were sadly just laughable

We are Dunfermline, we're on our way back!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 12:35

Sorry, not a fan of female pundits on sportscene. Suppose that makes me sexist. I enjoyed the women's world cup last year and felt that women pundits, talking about women's football, was a good fit. They had experience of the women's game, gave good insight, no problem.

However find myself cringing and willing Shelley in particular to say something that isn't just a garbled rehash of the other pundits words or stating the bleedin obvious. It's nothing more than yet another concession to political correctness. Pundits should be picked on merit, not just to get a women on the show for the sake of it.

Notable examples being Kelly Cates ( Dalgleish) and Gabby Logan who are excellent at what they do, albeit on English football.

I also remember years ago when Sportscene turned Derek Johnstone from a lively, insightful pundit into a the host whose attempts to read from an auto-cue resembled a primary 1 reading lesson. Hope Steven Thomson isn't going to go the same way.

And what was the pop-up interviews during the highlights all about?

If it ain't bust, don't fix it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossDAFC  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 12:50

People do realise Stewart was sacked by the BBC?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 13:07

Doesn't Michael Stewart work for Celtic TV now?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars no1  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 13:18

Topic Originator: RossDAFC like | nolike
Date: Mon 3 Aug 12:50

This was sorted out before lockdown and he was reinstated. He has been doing sportsound.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 14:27

Quote:

pars no1, Mon 3 Aug 13:18

Topic Originator: RossDAFC like | nolike
Date: Mon 3 Aug 12:50

This was sorted out before lockdown and he was reinstated. He has been doing sportsound.

He was commentating on the Hibs/Killie game on the Radio on Saturday.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 15:18

He could be contracted to do radio work for the BBC but not TV. It was widely reported that he, Sutton and Hartson had joined the Celtic TV team to enhance their coverage.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 16:53

Jackie Mcnamara was on Celtic tv at the weekend.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 19:17

Was Sutton not at Wembley with BBC on Saturday?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 20:39

On the telly it was Danny Murphy co-commentating and Shearer, Wright and Ashley Cole in the studio I think.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 23:11

I've just watched Sportscene from the weekend. I don't think Shelley Kerr was that bad to be honest, she wouldn't be my first choice as a pundit but not as bad as some are making out. Jonathan Sutherland is a good presenter as well in my opinion.
Stewart can be good on occasions but equally can be an opinionated gobshite on others.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Wed 12 Aug 18:13

FBLH - would have to agree, watched sportscene (had recorded the episodes) and i genuinely don't get what all the fuss is about.

she may have been no better ...but she was certainly no worse than the usual mob - and to be honest, it was a nice relief from that wanna-be shock-jock (read erse) Stewart who seems to think he's the big i am!

and newsflash - all pundits use stock phrases - maybe it's just the old paradigm goggles coming into play, i.e. certain people think female pundits are bad and therefore find reasons to 'prove their point' and don't realise that the blokes they think are so much better, are basically just the same
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 12 Aug 18:53

Football punditry is money for old rope - regardless of gender. Most folk on here would make a decent go of it but they don't have a recognisable 'name' to grab attention.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jock-par  
Date:   Wed 12 Aug 19:36

Thought Leanne was pretty good on last night’s show. You can tell she has watched a lot of Scottish football. Which can’t be said for the Scottish women’s coach

We are Dunfermline, we're on our way back!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Wed 12 Aug 20:04

I dont see any problem ,but if I was asked my opinion ,I would say male presenters who have played at a reasonable level are better as they understand the male view ,similar to ladies football I prefer to listen to experienced ladies commenting on the ladies football as i think they have more understanding than the men related to womans football .this is just my individual preference 😄😄😄
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Wed 12 Aug 21:41

Michael Stewart is terrible.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 13 Aug 00:29

I think Eilidh Barbour is a good presenter. Normally a good host.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Thu 13 Aug 11:51

Quote:

londonparsfan, Thu 13 Aug 00:29

Yes, she is very good. Probably the best host on Scottish football at the moment.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Fri 14 Aug 07:32

Topic Originator: londonparsfan like | nolike
Date: Thu 13 Aug 00:29

Have to agree-I was thinking of suggesting the same.Also enjoy her golf coverage.She came into my head the other day when I thought that the snooker coverage was missing Hazel Irvine who I think is excellent in that role.

Alex Scott has grown on me on the English football and is pretty insightful.She certainly beats some of the others.Danny Mills and Garth Crooks in particular come out with some rubbish imo.

I've got no time for Michael Stewart's constant greetin'-if he was chocolate he would eat himself.He was clearly only brought in to make controversial statements to try and boost ratings.I notice he hasn't got a slot this weekend either.99% of his repertoire was having a dig at Hearts so maybe that's why he's being left out?

He caused controversy wherever he went as a player too.Refused to go to Antwerp on loan when at Man Utd, needless to say Fergie never offered him another contract.Went to Nottingham Forest and lasted a few months before his loan was terminated for fighting on the training ground and 'for having a high opinion of himself',released after 7 starts in 2 years in his first spell at Hearts, went to Hibs and allegedly was part of a player revolt to remove John Collins as he didn't like training methods.He returned to Hearts and was sent off 5 times inside 2 years in 80 games not to mention 20 bookings on top of that.He was sent off for fighting team-mates and confronting his own fans amongst other things.A total headline junkie.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net