DAFC.net
Home 22 September 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 OFW signs 2yr player/coach role
Topic Originator: DRreturns  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 16:18

As above!

We’ll be playing at the top end of the season with the squad we have at the moment!

I’m here to take over!!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: OFW signs 2yr player/coach role
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 17:06

Splendid! Two years as well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 13en  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 17:08

Did we pay a fee for him
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 17:37

i might be happier at the coaching role than the actual signing itself, nothing against Westwood or his ability as a coach but that part just makes a lot of sense imo.

on the park hopefully OFW has a good season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 18:33

Happy enough with that signing, we know what we're getting and he's keen to be here.
Coaching role makes sense.

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 18:39

Spoke with Owain and his good lady recently for about an hour, an absolutely lovely guy who spoke very highly of the club and it’s fans

I for one am very happy to have him on board
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 19:20

It was evident that he had a fondness for the club in the short time he was here. Added to that the painting he did to put much needed funds back into the club was something he didn't have to do but he clearly wants to be here and that can only be a good thing.
I have seen loan players who give off a 'can't wait to be back at my parent club' vibe but the likes of OFW and Dom Thomas were far from that.
Here's to the next 2 years and hopefully a promotion for the club in there too.

http://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 19:37

Glad he's signed. Seems a sensible deal all round. It can't be easy to be far from home in these strange times but equally jobs are difficult to come by so a 2 year deal gives him some stability.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 19:42

He will bring alot to the club. You have to offer 2 year deals to the right people as that shows trust and loyalty both ways. Push for promotion this year and a year in the premiership next.

Post Edited (Mon 03 Aug 19:42)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 20:37

He has played over 450 games, mainly in English Leagues 1 and 2 as well as our Premiership. He also spent some time in the States and has been capped for Wales. That's a good pedigree for a keeper in the Scottish Championship I'd say.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 21:59

Is Davie Westwood away now then.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 22:15

Good experienced keeper. Squad only a couple short now from one that should seriously challenge for the title. Let’s hope we get fans in this season to pay for it .........
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 22:17

Topic Originator: 1970par like | nolike
Date: Mon 3 Aug 18:39

Spoke with Owain and his good lady recently for about an hour, an absolutely lovely guy who spoke very highly of the club and it’s fans

I for one am very happy to have him on board

I can hear the fund-raising part of your brain ticking ...

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters' Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 22:55

Quote:

Par, Mon 03 Aug 21:59

Is Davie Westwood away now then.

Yes

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Mon 3 Aug 23:13

It was part of the team that desperately needed strengthening and he is a solid keeper so it made sense. He comes across as a top lad too who is delighted to be here judging by the social media interview. Good signing.

Awight Pat!

Post Edited (Tue 04 Aug 00:44)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par_33  
Date:   Tue 4 Aug 00:43

I'm much for having players that actually want to be here and play for the club. Not just because the wages are right. Glad to have him back aboard, along with Declan and Dom.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Tue 4 Aug 04:05

Glad about the signing, and I also like the idea of a player/coach role -- very sensible and good for our up and coming GKs.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 4 Aug 12:01

''Glad about the signing, and I also like the idea of a player/coach role -- very sensible and good for our up and coming GKs.''

Agree he can help to improve Gill and Swinton, by passing on his experience and I think he's a good signing for the Pars, but who will coach him? It's quite unusual to have a goalkeeper coach who's still playing, isn't it?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsdaft  
Date:   Tue 4 Aug 16:36

I also fail to see how you can coach yourself. Have sympathy for previous coach who has nurtured Cammy Gill over the last few years. Football can be brutal sometimes of which this close season has been a great example to players at EEP
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 4 Aug 17:38

I wouldn't have thought a 33-year-old goalie would need much coaching, if any, just some physical training which would incorporate special exercises for goalkeepers. Don't goalies train in a group separate from the rest of the squad? OFW would just take charge of the group and pass on tips re positioning, communication, etc. A youngster or maybe an outfield player recovering from injury could provide crosses, shooting etc.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Tue 4 Aug 18:21

Quote:

wee eck, Tue 4 Aug 17:38

I wouldn't have thought a 33-year-old goalie would need much coaching, if any, just some physical training which would incorporate special exercises for goalkeepers. Don't goalies train in a group separate from the rest of the squad? OFW would just take charge of the group and pass on tips re positioning, communication, etc. A youngster or maybe an outfield player recovering from injury could provide crosses, shooting etc.

Agree Eck
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 4 Aug 20:14

Quote:

wee eck, Tue 4 Aug 17:38

I hear what you're saying, eck, but sometimes it helps to have someone else looking at your game. You might be making mistakes you're not aware of. Look at some of the top golfers down the years. Quite often when their game suffered, their caddies would be able to offer helpful advice. There's no reason the same principle couldn't apply to a goalkeeper and his coach.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Tue 4 Aug 23:26

GG, what about player/managers? A player/manager puts himself into a game, but has no one to coach him.

When you get to a certain level of experience, you have to figure that you are unlikely to improve technically, and psychologically, you've probably been through most everything. OFW is working on his coaching licenses, which will focus on tactics at the higher levels. The manager will also coach him on tactics.

So OFW has the technical and psychological experience, and he has help with tactics.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Wed 5 Aug 07:44

"GG, what about player/managers? A player/manager puts himself into a game, but has no one to coach him."

Player/Managers will have assistants and coaches. Normally the assistant manager would be in charge while the manager is on the field.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 5 Aug 08:15

Player managers are a thing of the past-very rare at top level these days.Vincent Kompany gave it a go at Anderlecht and only lasted a few months before he had to relinquish management duties on a match day after he endured a disastrous start.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net