DAFC.net
Home 22 January 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 CL Tonight
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 07:13

It's all a bit surreal, but the 2019/20 CL restarts tonight, after a gap of 5 months and behind closed doors, of course.

Two unfinished last 16 ties tonight at 8 pm, City v Real and Juve v Lyon. I can't understand why UEFA haven't taken the opportunity to stagger the kick off times, so that folk who were minded to could watch both games live, especially under the current circumstances.

Both ties are far from over. City have a cushion but will not want to concede the first goal, as that will throw the tie wide open. It'll be interesting to see how they approach the game tactically. Real have no choice but to attack - they need to score at least twice to go through. The Juve-Lyon game may turn out to be a patient, cagey affair, so I'm plumping for the Etihad tonight - virtually speaking. πŸ™‚

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: CL Tonight
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 08:34

I read somewhere yesterday that Scotland will have 2 champions league places for 21/22 season ?
But I can't find it again
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 08:45

You are right:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53688401
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 09:06

So Man City in quarantine after the Spanish trip?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 09:11

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Fri 7 Aug 09:06

Has the Etihad been moved, LA? πŸ˜ƒ

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 10:00

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 7 Aug 07:13

It's all a bit surreal, but the 2019/20 CL restarts tonight, after a gap of 5 months and behind closed doors, of course.

Two unfinished last 16 ties tonight at 8 pm, City v Real and Juve v Lyon. I can't understand why UEFA haven't taken the opportunity to stagger the kick off times, so that folk who were minded to could watch both games live, especially under the current circumstances.

Both ties are far from over. City have a cushion but will not want to concede the first goal, as that will throw the tie wide open. It'll be interesting to see how they approach the game tactically. Real have no choice but to attack - they need to score at least twice to go through. The Juve-Lyon game may turn out to be a patient, cagey affair, so I'm plumping for the Etihad tonight - virtually speaking. πŸ™‚

Cheers GG, I was gonna watch that one but you've now put the kiss of death on it πŸ˜‚
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 10:37

Indeed GG, can't understand why they haven't staggered the kick off times. You'd have thought the tv companies would have insisted on it.
Can't see Juventus failing against Lyon. They have the better players and have been playing competitive fixtures so should have the fitness edge as well.
City definetly have the advantage over Real both with the scoreline and on the pitch. That said Real still have enough quality to win and in Zidane they have one of the most underrated managers in the game. He's won the champions league three times but doesn't seem to get the praise he deserves for it.

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 14:19

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 7 Aug 10:37

Indeed GG, can't understand why they haven't staggered the kick off times. You'd have thought the tv companies would have insisted on it.
Can't see Juventus failing against Lyon. They have the better players and have been playing competitive fixtures so should have the fitness edge as well.
City definetly have the advantage over Real both with the scoreline and on the pitch. That said Real still have enough quality to win and in Zidane they have one of the most underrated managers in the game. He's won the champions league three times but doesn't seem to get the praise he deserves for it.

Trouble is, Real fans (including the President) expect their team to win both la Liga and the CL every season. If either or, is won by Barca, it really sticks in their craw.....

Lambo, you've been on Dotnet long enough to know that my predictions are guff, so watch the game of your choice - I've virtually guaranteed it will be a classic. ☺

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 14:27

I share the disappointment of others that we are forced to choose between these games. It should not be beyond the wit of man to arrange two games at different times. I’d have happily watched both ties and it’s clear that I’m not alone in thinking like this.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 14:49

Real Madrid 9/2 on Ladbrokes to qualify is very tempting...

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 15:49

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 7 Aug 09:11

Quote:

Oops!!

So Real Madrid have been here for 2 weeks already?πŸ€”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 15:54

''Real Madrid 9/2 on Ladbrokes to qualify is very tempting...''

I'm sure no Spanish bookies would give you those odds, but it's a big ask for Real to score 2 goals without reply. I think Real have a good record for comebacks when the return leg has been at the Bernabeu but not after losing the 1st leg at home.

One game that sticks in my mind was the return between Inter and Bayern in the 1988/89 UEFA Cup. Inter had won 2-0 in Munich. Their German left back, Brehme, was asked if Bayern had any chance of overturning his team's lead. ''Well put it this way, they'd have to score at least 3 goals to beat us and we've only conceded 5 all season. (It was just before Christmas and Inter were strolling their way to the Scudetto.)

Bayern won 3-1 and went through on away goals.....

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 16:46

There's been money coming for City all day and it looks like there is one bet of over Β£40k on them. I think people have been latching on to Real's terrible record in Europe without Ramos.

The away odds are up to 5.8 which is almost 5/1 on away win on the exchange.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 18:07

40K is not a huge single bet in a televised CH league game, you can get 52k on pin and 70K on ISN per order easily, not to mention others.

Looks like it's gone -0.75 1.90 to 1.70 so a fair move, be interesting to see what happens!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 18:56

Quote:

londonparsfan, Fri 7 Aug 16:46

There's been money coming for City all day and it looks like there is one bet of over Β£40k on them. I think people have been latching on to Real's terrible record in Europe without Ramos.

The away odds are up to 5.8 which is almost 5/1 on away win on the exchange.

Yea, I meant to add that the absence of Ramos is likely to be crucial at both ends of the pitch. Whatever you may think of him, he's one of the world's best defenders and he often chips in with the important goals.

We'll find out soon enough.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 19:02

Can't stand the guy but he's one of the best center halfs in history.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 19:14

Quote:

londonparsfan, Fri 7 Aug 19:02

If you were allowed to ban one Real player, it would probably be him. πŸ™‚

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 19:53

Quote:

neils, Fri 7 Aug 18:07

40K is not a huge single bet in a televised CH league game, you can get 52k on pin and 70K on ISN per order easily, not to mention others.

Looks like it's gone -0.75 1.90 to 1.70 so a fair move, be interesting to see what happens!

40k might not be a lot in general terms but it feels like a huge amount on City to beat Real in a CL game!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 19:54

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 7 Aug 19:14

Quote:

londonparsfan, Fri 7 Aug 19:02

If you were allowed to ban one Real player, it would probably be him. πŸ™‚

Absolutely! Didnt realise Hazard was back though so hoping he has a quiet game as he's caused problems in the past for City.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 20:04

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Fri 7 Aug 15:49

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 7 Aug 09:11

Quote:

Oops!!

So Real Madrid have been here for 2 weeks already?πŸ€”

Flew in last night?
Really?πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 20:27

Juventus off to a bad start. Will now need to score at least three or they are out.

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 21:24

London, it isnt at all, it's a huge amount (I assume) for us, but typically in a decent Premiership game for example, for a high stakes bookmaker, or preferably Asian there are many single bets exceeding this amount.

A bit unusual maybe in a CH League game, as betting on these games typically is for the fun betters, not serious or professional gamblers (due to no form etc.) But the volume still will be huge.

There will be (especially at 0.75 handicap) plenty buying pre game to lay off live.(at HT it is heading to 0.25 HC) so -1/2 ball banked already.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 22:07

GG certainly called it right about Real Madrid missing Ramos. Varane's second error was probably worse then his first since he had already misjudged the flight of the ball but still decided to play a tight pass back off a bouncing ball.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 22:12

Quote:

neils, Fri 7 Aug 21:24

London, it isnt at all, it's a huge amount (I assume) for us, but typically in a decent Premiership game for example, for a high stakes bookmaker, or preferably Asian there are many single bets exceeding this amount.

A bit unusual maybe in a CH League game, as betting on these games typically is for the fun betters, not serious or professional gamblers (due to no form etc.) But the volume still will be huge.

There will be (especially at 0.75 handicap) plenty buying pre game to lay off live.(at HT it is heading to 0.25 HC) so -1/2 ball banked already.

I was meaning it's more changed days that anyone would feel confident enough to fire over 40k on City to beat Madrid in a CL game. (I'm assuming) You normally stick that kind of money on someone you're sure is going to win and in the past that wouldnt have been City to beat Madrid.

Appreciate there are loads of big bets go on football and horse racing.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 22:54

Yes, wasn't that long ago Man C were in the third division!

Unthinkable that Real (is it 13 times winners?) Would routinely lose and be bet against like this.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 8 Aug 00:26

A few relieved punters tonight as there were a few 20k + bets on the Exchange too.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 8 Aug 06:12

I switched over to watch Juve - Lyon after City went 2-1 up on the night and 4-2 on agg. as I reasonably assumed the tie was finished. I needn't have bothered.

The game was tense, Juve's attacks were tinged with desperation, Lyon defended resolutely and Ronaldo was the only player who looked capable of scoring. Not a patch on the City game in terms of quality. Sarri will be sacked very soon, in spite of winning the Scudetto.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sat 8 Aug 13:35

Conte could be leaving Inter too. Think he would go back to Juve?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 8 Aug 14:11

Sarri sacked.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 8 Aug 14:20

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 8 Aug 14:11

Sarri sacked.

I hope you heeded the tip further up and bet your house on it, eck? πŸ˜‰

Raymie, can't see Conti going back as he's been making quite a few "controversial " statements of late, which could be interpreted as anti-Juve, so he may have burned his boats there.

Stranger things have happened though. My money's on Pochettino.

Post Edited (Sat 08 Aug 14:21)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 8 Aug 18:17

Two less appealing ties tonight, again both kicking off simultaneously, at 8 pm. You'd have to be a superoptimistic Chelsea fan ( or maybe a sadistic Spurs fan) to choose to watch the 2nd leg of their mismatch with Bayern.

Barca v Napoli would normally be a banker home win, but the Catalans are going through a traumatic time. Still, I expect them to see off Napoli without too much trouble. The Italian side have a poor European record away from the San Paolo.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 8 Aug 19:20

Andrea Pirlo has been appointed to replace Sarri.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 8 Aug 19:55

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 8 Aug 19:20

Andrea Pirlo has been appointed to replace Sarri.

Just saw that, eck. It's a massive gamble, going for an inexperienced, former playing legend. The last time Juve went down that route, saw the appointment of Ciro Ferrara.

He sank without trace.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parahandy  
Date:   Sat 8 Aug 20:38

Another VAR embarrassment
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sat 8 Aug 20:42

Good to see wee Gattuso but he's looking a bit worried in the coaching area. Put on a few pounds since his heyday but haven't we all.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sat 8 Aug 20:46

If that's not a penalty nothing is.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
Β© 2020 -- DAFC.net