DAFC.net
Home 20 September 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Harry Maguire...
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 25 Aug 18:05

...found guilty as charged. That puts Gareth Southgate in a bit of a spot.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Harry Maguire...
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 25 Aug 18:06

Man Utd have confirmed he is appealing.

I'm not saying he's innocent or guilty but the bits of the story in the public domain are all a bit bizarre.

Post Edited (Tue 25 Aug 18:13)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Aug 18:30

It seemed a bit odd that he wasn't required to appear in court given the charges but presumably that's how the Greek legal system works. You would have thought he should have been given the chance to plead his case rather than have someone plead it for him.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Aug 18:34

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53903703
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Tue 25 Aug 18:42

Quote:

londonparsfan, Tue 25 Aug 18:06

I'm not saying he's innocent or guilty but the bits of the story in the public domain are all a bit bizarre.

LPF, I've watched Man u a few times since footy started back, are you sure that shouldn't read " he is appalling "

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 25 Aug 19:56

From Aunty

Manchester United captain Harry Maguire has been given a suspended sentence of 21 months and 10 days in prison after his trial on the Greek island of Syros.

The England defender, 27, was found guilty of repeated bodily harm, attempted bribery, violence against public employees and insult after arrest on Mykonos.

I liked this bit if true :-

It was alleged that once Maguire arrived at a police station, he said: "Do you know who I am? I am the captain of Manchester United, I am very rich, I can give you money, I can pay you, please let us go."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Aug 20:02

Quote :-
Topic Originator: wee eck like | nolike
Date: Tue 25 Aug 18:05

...found guilty as charged. That puts Gareth Southgate in a bit of a spot.

Lets hope its not the penalty spot wee eck :)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 25 Aug 20:11

What about his sister being stabbed? Doesn't excuse his actions but was his fighting related to protecting her? Can't really excuse attempting to bribe a police officer. That's just daft laddie stuff.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Aug 20:21

Jake89

The wee bit I read was his Sister was injected with a date rape drug
Me and You would go in with fists flying if that is true
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Aug 20:38

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Tue 25 Aug 18:42

Quote:

londonparsfan, Tue 25 Aug 18:06

LPF, I've watched Man u a few times since footy started back, are you sure that shouldn't read " he is appalling "

I really don't rate him either but in fairness United's results have improved with him at the back. Probably not all on him (I'm sure Fernandes has helped) but he's possibly better than what was there before.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Aug 20:42

He must be good, he's on £190k a week!

Southgate has now withdrawn him from the England squad.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jjonjord  
Date:   Tue 25 Aug 21:25

Quote:

jake89, Tue 25 Aug 20:11

What about his sister being stabbed? Doesn't excuse his actions but was his fighting related to protecting her? Can't really excuse attempting to bribe a police officer. That's just daft laddie stuff.

Think his defence in that regard was that it was lost in translation, and he was actually saying they would pay a fine....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 25 Aug 22:13

It’s never easy to establish what happened in the lead up to a drunken brawl. I can easily believe that McGuire was taunted before fists started flying but the claim regarding his sister being injected with a ‘rape drug’ seems bizarre. It would surely be easier to drop a substance into her drink. I assume the defence offered no medical corroboration at the hearing.

Maybe the ‘bribe’ allegation was a verbal misunderstanding but it’s a strange thing to offer to pay a fine to the police who are arresting you, in any country.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parallel Lines  
Date:   Tue 25 Aug 22:35

In Greece you can pay your way out of jail. To avoid overcrowding.
€100 per day maximum. He can just pay that out of his coin jar.

I looked for my pet in all the books on animals and birds and then I found it in the Book of Revelations.Marty Feldman
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Aug 22:46

Why offer to pay if you don't think you've done anything wrong?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 25 Aug 23:05

Quote:

wee eck, Tue 25 Aug 22:46

Why offer to pay if you don't think you've done anything wrong?

Fear? Desperation to avoid prison? Not everyone is cool, calm and collected like you, Eck

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Aug 23:08

I wouldn't have got into trouble, da no 1!😊😊😊
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 26 Aug 09:46

As Sammer points out, it's difficult to apportion absolute blame in drunken fracas like this.

Eventually we'll get the real story, hopefully.

If he tried to play the "do you know who I am ?" card then he really was a silly boy, big style.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 29 Aug 20:03

How are folk seeing this now? Were you convinced by Maguire's BBC interview? I was a wee bit surprised he seemed to have no regrets over the incident. I would have thought he was mature enough to realise it would have been best for a well-known footballer to keep a low profile while on holiday. It seems like it's his word against the policemen's.

One of the prosecution lawyers, who has lectured on law at an English university, has said he has received e-mails from MU fans not only threatening him but also the Greek economy! He dismissed claims from Maguire's defence team that they didn't have enough time to prepare his case. Apparently its normal for cases like this to be dealt with very quickly in Greece and his lawyers would have known that. It could be a year before his appeal is heard. It's effectively a retrial but the conviction stands until the appeal is dealt with.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Sat 29 Aug 22:47

I listened to the interview. He hopes there's CCTV footage of the incident, so do I.

I think the bigger issue here, aside from any slight aggro is - if we go by Maguire's statement - were they trying to kidnap his sister? Is the rest of it to detract/ cover up that? Whatever the reason, if somebody did something that had her in and out of consciousness,( he said she had a needle mark on her arm?) that's a huge issue.

It would help if his sister would make a strong statement about that, both for his defence and in order to get it investigated.

Big shot English footballer comes to town, word is gonna get around quick. Some maybe had it in for him.

Post Edited (Sat 29 Aug 22:52)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sat 29 Aug 23:23

Who would want to kidnap McGuire's sister?
Would not the guide dog start barking?
Who would want to kidnap McGuire?
West Bromwich on a good day?
It's a tall tale.

McGuire was drunk. He was taunted. He lashed out. That is no great crime in my eyes. The Greek police have been decent enough to see it much in that light. But no, McGuire thinks he has a case against Albanians who do not seem to exist. He is claiming rape drug nonsense without a hint of medical evidence.McGuire is dopey. But he is dopey in the Trump version of events: hope your version of events gains traction enough to stick before the truth emerges.

And that is why McGuire is a good centre half but not a great one. He is strong, positive and wins his duels. But like Ian Ure, he is a bit dopey. He can win his challenges but cannot command his defence. Roy Barry was better at £40,000 than McGuire was at around£80 million. And Roy would never have lost a scrap with the Greek police.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 01:10

Entertaining Sammer but I'm just going on my impressions of Maguire's TV interview. I donno where some o' the ither ideas come fae on this thread.

Who would want to kidnap his sister? Come on - a lot o' folk. Not necessarily for ransome either.

Nevertheless when he said he went across the road with his brother? and they spoke to a couple of guys who seemed to have done something to his sister, it seems odd that somebody wasn't filming it on their phones and that Maguire or somebody didn't call the police themselves.

If the Greek police thought Maguire's behaviour was no great crime, how come it went to court with charges such as repeated bodily harm? If Parallel Lines is right, (Tue 22:35 above) why didn't they just fine him on the spot after arresting him?

Where does the guide dog come intae it?

Post Edited (Sun 30 Aug 01:33)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 01:22

Mind, I think he's got somethin' tae learn if he thinks the captain o' Man U can go wherever he likes and have a night oot as if he's ordinary Joe Bloggs. He's not an ordinary guy, he's a major celeb, so I think he should have a couple o' 'security' guys wi' um when he goes oot. No use him sayin' I don't wanna live like that, it goes wi' the job.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 01:29

Ref Sammer

<<< Roy [Barry] would never have lost a scrap with the Greek police. >>>

He did have a scrap wi' some Greeks, 3-0 down at half time at Olympiakos and you're right - he came out on top o' that, just!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 08:53

Whilst police don’t always have the best rep for telling the full truth, they have a hell of a lot better record than bampot footballers.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 09:52

If his sister had been subjected to an injection as claimed - would reaction not be to have a blood test carried out to confirm this ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 11:15

I think Maguire is panicking here.Something doesn't sit right,in what he said with me.

Post Edited (Sun 30 Aug 12:22)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 11:20

pars4life1
Sun 30 Aug 08:53

<<< Whilst police don’t always have the best rep for telling the full truth, they have a hell of a lot better record than bampot footballers. >>>

Footballerism !
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 11:24

Maguire will be desperate to get out of this because, and I might be wrong with this assumption, will having this sort of record not make it very difficult for him to enter the United States which I imagine could be problematic for pre season tours and perhaps even the 2026 world cup.

There's battle lines being drawn Nobody's right if everybody is wrong.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 11:28

Aye VEE and Twinpar, it's all as clear as EEP in a monsoon blackoot.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 20:50

Oh Jings :-

Manchester United skipper Harry Maguire's legal troubles following his arrest on the Greek island of Mykonos look set to continue after a police officer involved in detaining him claims to have suffered a "permanent" back injury.

Ioannis Paradissis, a lawyer representing one of the officers involved in Maguire's arrest, claims that his client injured his lower back when he was allegedly thrown to the ground by the England international in a confrontation outside of a bar.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 21:01

https://www.thenationalherald.com/archive_general_news_greece/arthro/annual_report_shows_greek_cops_still_corrupt_ridden-50622/
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 21:04

My thoughts as well LPF
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars11  
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 21:24

Permanent back injury cannot be determined in this short timescale, that claim would be thrown out of court.

Bluebell Polka
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 22:32

Could have been worse - if they'd gone to Zante............................

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53966897
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 31 Aug 09:15

We will all be back in lockdown soon vee because of these covidiots :(
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net