DAFC.net
Home 20 September 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Gillete Soccer Saturday
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Wed 26 Aug 16:55

The familiar lineup won't be the same next season as Matt Le Tiss, Charlie Nicholas and Phil Thomson all given the boot apparently.

Hopefully Andy Walker is next.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Gillete Soccer Saturday
Topic Originator: nazpar  
Date:   Wed 26 Aug 17:28

Yep it look like all three have been sacked .so we are left with Paul Merson

nazpar
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 26 Aug 17:50

3 female replacements nae doot. Ticking boxes left right & centre

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Wed 26 Aug 18:00

<3 female replacements nae doot. Ticking boxes left right & centre>

3 BAME female lesbian replacements maybe...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Wed 26 Aug 18:10

Long overdue I think personally but I would have punted Merson too. He's difficult to understand.

Probably a few who are waiting in the wings to take their places.

http://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 26 Aug 18:49

Hope it’s not Clinton Morrison !

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 26 Aug 18:54

They will definitely be going down the route of one female lesbian ex woman's footballer, one black ex footballer and anyone else. Tick some boxes. In fairness, it was a bit of all male, laddish programme before (which I quite enjoyed)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Wed 26 Aug 19:41

I won't miss Phil!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Wed 26 Aug 19:53

I don't know who their replacements were in the summer but they were dreadful.

It is not often Jeff Stelling's mask slips but he did not look a happy man.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Wed 26 Aug 20:51

To be honest, nobody can be any worse than those 3 waffling dullards.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 Aug 20:51

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Wed 26 Aug 18:49

He's thick as a whale omelette

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Wed 26 Aug 21:56

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Wed 26 Aug 18:49

Agreed Raymie. . .he speaks like he's "from da ghetto innit". Does ma nut in.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Wed 26 Aug 21:57

I think you have to strike a balance between representation and tokenism.

The childish comments about BAME this and lesbian that are crass.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 Aug 22:07

Quote:

General Zod, Wed 26 Aug 20:51

To be honest, nobody can be any worse than those 3 waffling dullards.

Some, like me, enjoy the banter between that group. Trust me, Sky will unearth 3 box-ticking nobodies who've achieved nothing in football and pass them off as entertainment.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Wed 26 Aug 23:01

Le Tiss was pretty good, the other two were slavering tubes imo. I'm surprised Merson has been kept too - could barely string a sentence together- like a cockney Yogi Hughes.
There are other pundits on Sky that aren't Clinton Morrison that could be moved over from match punditry onto Soccer Saturday that would do a far better job than Nicholas and Thompson.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Wed 26 Aug 23:15

FWIW I think Alex Scott is an excellent pundit. She's achieved a hell of a lot in the game as well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Wed 26 Aug 23:15

I hope to goodness Matt Murray, the ex Wolves keeper, is not one of their projected targets. He must rank among the poorest TV pundits out there. I’m baffled that Sky have seen fit to offer this guy a gig on a regular basis.

I do agree that the ones leaving Sky’s employ will be no loss, but the scary thing is there is still worse out there.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 Aug 23:31

Quote:

Bandy, Wed 26 Aug 23:15

FWIW I think Alex Scott is an excellent pundit. She's achieved a hell of a lot in the game as well.

I'm not really interested in women's football. Nor am I interested in what female pundits have to say about mens football. Sorry if that offends.

Post Edited (Wed 26 Aug 23:49)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 00:09

Quote:

da_no_1, Wed 26 Aug 23:31

Quote:

I'm not really interested in women's football. Nor am I interested in what female pundits have to say about mens football. Sorry if that offends.

All about opinions I suppose, I'm not interested in women's football either but I'm interested in pundits with something insightful to say and Alex Scott is far more interesting than the likes of Merson who can barely pronounce players names, Thompson who is a Liverpool page boy and Nicholas who is a waffling cliche driving tube.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 00:13

Emma Hayes along with quite a few ladies can talk with far more insight about football than any of those leaving Soccer Saturday can.

They might have been working together long enough that there's a clear rapport there that let's a bit of banter flow that can be entertaining but I can't say I've ever tuned into any football show desperately hoping to hear any of Le Tissier, Nicholas or Thompson's views on anything. When you look at them individually none of them are particularly good pundits in their own right.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 00:20

Quote:

Frank Butchers LoveHandles, Thu 27 Aug 00:09

Quote:

da_no_1, Wed 26 Aug 23:31

Quote:

All about opinions I suppose, I'm not interested in women's football either but I'm interested in pundits with something insightful to say and Alex Scott is far more interesting than the likes of Merson who can barely pronounce players names, Thompson who is a Liverpool page boy and Nicholas who is a waffling cliche driving tube.

So you tune into Soccer Saturday looking for insightful, thought provoking opinions? You've got the wrong programme. Soccer Saturday is the TV equivalent of talking about football with your pals in the pub. Do their opinions matter? No. Do they make sense? Not very often. It's just another bit of fun getting sooked out our lives all in the name of political correctness.

Enjoy.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 00:23

Is it political correctness or are there just far more viewers that could be attracted through different presenters?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 00:39

Quote:

londonparsfan, Thu 27 Aug 00:23

Is it political correctness or are there just far more viewers that could be attracted through different presenters?

Suppose we'll just have to wait and see

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 00:54

Changing as many people in one go is a bit of a risk as even if Sky get it right overall it could take a while for the new presenters to gel. If you don't evolve though you lose viewers.

Soccer AM had a spell of a few years when it was funny (the definition of "funny" is relative and in respect of me is heavily influenced by my age and sense of humour at the time) and had a steady decline for donkeys. The folk that run Soccer Saturday have to make sure their program doesn't die a death too.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Brucey Bonus  
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 07:43

Some of you lot must have terrible mates if Phil Thompson and Matt LeTissier on Sky is like being down the pub.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 08:06

Quote:

Brucey Bonus, Thu 27 Aug 07:43

Some of you lot must have terrible mates if Phil Thompson and Matt LeTissier on Sky is like being down the pub.

FFS read it in context

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 09:33

Remember the last 'changing of the guard' when the likes of Allan Mullery, George Best, Rodney Marsh and Frank McLintock all moved on for one reason or another.....aside from Le Tissier the other two aren't really relevant to anyone below their mid-late 20's.

SKY can be quite ruthless when it comes to freshening things up, sure the long standing cricket and SSN guy got dumped a few years ago in pretty poor circumstances given length of time they had been there.

As for the other pundits, Morrison is the first one i thought of cringing when i read this. Sounds like a cross between Arsenal Fan TV and listening to the old Tim Westwood show on Radio1.

Alex Scott i would have no problem listening to; she defo knows her stuff and is pretty spot on with most of her analysis. Out of the current old schoolers i always thought Tony Gale was excellent for similar reasons as above but he seems to mainly do featured commentary on the West Ham games these days.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 10:15

Get Michelle Owen on the panel.

http://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 11:02

Dean Windass would be a hoot

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 11:29

I hope they still have big characters that can have a laugh, some of the people they have on are dull as dishwater.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: evo!  
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 12:10

As individuals they are not the greatest pundits, but they make a good gang and shame they are broken up.

Kammy to be put in studio now maybe.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 12:59

That would seem an obvious shout - he's good fun and seems pretty popular.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 13:11

Not sorry for being sexist. Just sorry that your sexism offends people. Straight out of the BoJo textbook - nice one!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 13:21

The notion that gender affects the validity of someone's opinion on a subject is a strange one. Imagine if it were applied to medicine, science, literature, music etc. The world would be a much poorer place in lots of ways.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 13:29

I like the ladies!

(Start again:) As pundits, I like the ladies. Alex Scott and Karen Carney are a couple o' stand-outs I can think of offhand, but they're all good. I'm not keen on celebs but Dion Dublin always gi'es me a laugh. Apart from him, I'd like to see some non-celebs as pundits, the same auld mugs get really tiresome.

And I like the refreshing comments by Rusty and Bandy on this thread. Not afraid of being unpopular. Good.

(BTW Bandy, could you make it clear you're quoting from Da No 1 in the first part of your post at 13:11 above, otherwise it can look as if his words are yours and confusing.)

Post Edited (Thu 27 Aug 14:11)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 13:38

I think the issue with female pundits is they can't talk from the position of experience. None of them have played at that level or in front of those size of crowds on a regular basis, and pundits should be people who have "been there, done that" so they can enhance the viewers watching experience with added insights. Anyone can talk about tactics and line ups, but there is a lack of credibility that derives from a lack of experience.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 13:42

Yeh but experience doesn't always = entertainment. Sometimes it = boring. I like a bit of sparkle and life and honest enthusiasm rather than know-it-all attitudes. I also like folk to have their own view on ref decisions etc, especially if it coincides with mine!

Post Edited (Thu 27 Aug 13:45)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 13:55

I only want to read posts on this forum from people who have played second tier Scottish football.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 14:06

Quote:

Rusty Shackleford, Thu 27 Aug 13:55

I only want to read posts on this forum from people who have played second tier Scottish football.

Nice one 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 14:07

It should be people who are both knowledgeable about the game and also engaging in their delivery. Some of the ex-pros you see on TV are absolutely "woeful" as Hansen would say. People seem to assume a professional footballer can be a TV presenter. Would we expect a TV presenter to pull their boots on and play in a game?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 14:10

Quote:

jake89, Thu 27 Aug 14:07

It should be people who are both knowledgeable about the game and also engaging in their delivery. Some of the ex-pros you see on TV are absolutely "woeful" as Hansen would say. People seem to assume a professional footballer can be a TV presenter. Would we expect a TV presenter to pull their boots on and play in a game?

Btw, I've heard from someone within the club that Buffy is ready to sign a contract and will be presenting Gillette Soccer Saturday from next month. The club has agreed a sell on clause should Buffy move on to work at another media outlet.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 14:30

I don't like racism, ageism or sexism. Which is why i'm angered by the likelihood that these presenters are being replaced cos they are white, getting on a bit and male.

They made for good entertainment on a saturday afternoon.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 14:34

Whether its right or wrong everything is now driven by P.C.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 14:37

I actually quite like the BBC's female pundits, like Alex Scott. The Sky Sports ones are brutal.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 14:43

Saying that I don't like watching womens' football is not a sexist comment Bandy. I'm really not fussed about watching anything other than top flight football and obviously anything that involves DAFC.

I would expect men who have played mens Champions League football to give the best analysis of a Champions League football involving men and that is my preference.

I don't like the scouse accent so I don't like the female scouse pundit with the short blonde hair. I also don't like Jamie Carragher (but he gobs at people too) to be fair I'm not really keen on Phil Thompson either but don't find him anywhere near as annoying as those two.

I'm not sexist Bandy so please take your comment back.

Post Edited (Thu 27 Aug 14:44)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 14:51

''...................... Nor am I interested in what female pundits have to say about mens football........''

It's difficult to interpret that as anything other than sexist.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 15:14

Needs a refresh, Charlie. Nicholas can barely speak English, and spouts garbage for example.

For me, doesn't have to be ex players, or at the highest level-Michael Stewart I like, and he played, what, 100 games in his entire career, none at anything like the highest.

It's Sky's prerogative to give a good shake of the blanket.

As long as noone touches Off The Ball, you can change the formats any time for me.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 15:22

I do like the programme and maybe the long in the tooth brotherhood could be freshened up a bit. Charlie, I think has had a good innings, certainly for one who often or usually fails to string a formation of coherent words in a sentence. But like football teams change which doesn't produce positive effect can have a negative outcome. The lads camaraderie was a main ingredient in the enjoyment, I thought and there is a place for that just as there is a place for ladettes to have their little tete a tetes. As for ethnic minorities there are many ex footballers including Ian Wright who provide reasonable entertainment value in another programme.

I will await with bated breath and things to determine if all of this change produces the desired effect or if I may be disappointed to the extent that I resolve to follow the Pars home and away this coming season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 16:06

"I would expect men who have played mens Champions League football to give the best analysis of a Champions League football involving men and that is my preference."

Steve McManaman won it twice and I'd rather listen to just about any female commentator than him.

Commentators can provide incite and commentary without having played the game to a high level.

Some top top managers never played the game at a high level and if they can articulate tactics to players then I'm sure other people that haven't played the game at a high level are perfectly capable of providing insight to your average football fan.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 16:15

Eck have a day off.

Why can't I just be allowed a preference? Why does my preference for one of anything over another have to be construed as sexism.

You really are tiresome.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 16:17

Ty agent Jake89 😂

It’s not a programme I’ve ever watched but I’ll send the CV in. They might need cakes, if nothing else.

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 16:38

Just finished watching Reservoir Dogs. My wife offered her opinion afterwards but I had to quickly close my ears due to her inherent ability to gestate.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 17:09

I'm happy to be called tiresome for calling out sexist comments, da no 1. Maybe you should choose your words a little more carefully in future.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 17:24

Again, permanently offended.

Would you rather I lied and said that I love womens' football? That I regularly attend games? Are you gripped by it? Have you got The Womens' Football Show on series link?

All I've said is I don't like watching it & I don't like the women who analyse games on MOTD.

You really are a sad little troll.

Post Edited (Thu 27 Aug 17:26)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 17:53

You said ''...................... Nor am I interested in what female pundits have to say about mens football........''

You seem to have changed your tune now confining it to 'women who analyse games on MOTD'. None of that stuff about following women's football is relevant to your initial comment.

If I'm a troll why are you so upset? I'm not the only one on here who considers it sexist.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 19:03

Anyone who will cover the Scottish football scene better than the token pundits put up ,will be better.
Need a new editor who knows the difference between the Scottish sides ,constant mistakes using the wrong badge ,or even name are forever happening.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 20:00

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 27 Aug 17:53

You said ''...................... Nor am I interested in what female pundits have to say about mens football........''

You seem to have changed your tune now confining it to 'women who analyse games on MOTD'. None of that stuff about following women's football is relevant to your initial comment.

If I'm a troll why are you so upset? I'm not the only one on here who considers it sexist.

Eck FFS I was using MOTD as an example of where women analyse mens football. I apologise if I didn't quote my own post verbatim for your benefit.

What's it like to like everyone and everything?

Oh and stop gathering a baying mob. It's most unbecoming

Anyway, I've said enough so won't be replying to any more comments directed at me on this thread

Post Edited (Thu 27 Aug 20:50)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 20:49

''What's it like to like everyone and everything?''

I've no idea.

''Oh and stop gathering a baying mob. It's most unbecoming''

I can't help it if some people agree with me. Who's baying?

Having re-read your posts I see you aren't just biased against female pundits; you also don't like ones with Scouse accents! It makes me wonder if you actually listen to what they actually say.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 21:17

I don't mind lady commentators on men's football but why does a woman footballer and commentator take the name of a former Rangers right winger?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 21:21

I would’ve kept Matt le Tissier, Thompson and Nicholas always got on my wick, wouldn’t have been bothered if Merson left either.

What makes Soccer Saturday is the banter, it is like a group of lads watching football at times in a bar which many of us can relate to.

Given the pandemic I’d hope they consider some of those that are usually at the games doing punditry for the show.

If they go with introducing a female on the panel I wouldn’t mind Alex Scott, think she would fit in well. Bianca Westwood would be my preference but can’t see that happening, she’s the best in my opinion and is better than whom she would be replacing.

Really not a fan of Sue Smith, so hoping it’s not her!

I don’t think disliking female commentary as alluded to on this thread should be classed as sexist, I wouldn’t make it a sweeping statement for all but I certainly don’t enjoy the majority of female punditry either, i also really struggle to find female comedians funny for example, it’s just a fact I don’t find them funny, why should that make one sexist.

da no1 wasn’t being sexist, just happens to be part of society now where everything said is getting ripped apart and used against you and you have to all the time choose your words carefully rather than applying some common sense.

I’m all for diversity and inclusion.

Micah Richards would be a great shout, enjoy him when he’s on same panel with Roy Keane.

Post Edited (Thu 27 Aug 21:23)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 21:28

Berry - totally agree about Micah Richards

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Aug 21:37

Quote:

Johan_Cruyff, Thu 27 Aug 21:28

Berry - totally agree about Micah Richards

It's a yes from me too

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Fri 28 Aug 07:22

I’m not too keen on female commentators and I don’t find female comedians funny - but I’m all for diversity and inclusion!!!

No wonder my daughter gets so frustrated with the older generation (anyone over the age of about 25 😂)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Fri 28 Aug 08:27

Quote:

Rusty Shackleford, Wed 26 Aug 21:57

I think you have to strike a balance between representation and tokenism.

The childish comments about BAME this and lesbian that are crass.

Aye but you know that's what will happen though, tick box and move on these days.

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 28 Aug 08:34

"I don’t think disliking female commentary as alluded to on this thread should be classed as sexist, I wouldn’t make it a sweeping statement for all but I certainly don’t enjoy the majority of female punditry either, i also really struggle to find female comedians funny for example, it’s just a fact I don’t find them funny, why should that make one sexist."

Couple of points.

1. da_no_1's comments dismissed the views of 51% of the population on football as uninteresting because they originate from females. Nothing to do with 'female' commentary. Intentional, or not, that's a sexist statement.

2. Your comment about female comedians is sexist - it doesn't necessarily make you a sexist, but to judge the capability of someone based on their gender is, by the very definition of the word, sexist.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 28 Aug 09:00

I don’t judge comedians by gender, I have the same criteria when watching a male or female comedian.

I have just never found a female comedian funny that I have seen, it’s not sexist, it’s just a fact.

There’s nothing to say I watch one tomorrow on the telly and thoroughly enjoy it. I can’t remember her name but she’s from Newcastle, she’d be the one I’d lean closest to as it stands.

I’m all for diversity and inclusion but agree with Rusty about the balance and Rasta about it shouldn’t just be a tick box exercise which sometimes it feels like.

Like I say back on point Alex Scott and Micah Richards would be my shouts as replacements.

Post Edited (Fri 28 Aug 09:11)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Fri 28 Aug 09:35

Totally agree with the Micah Richards shout. He's been good everyone I've seen him.

I don't mind the gender or colour of the pundit/analyst, as long as they're telling me something I don't know or explaining how/why certain passages of play have or haven't worked, instead of the usual, 'runs the channels well' or 'gets between the lines' crap that most of them come out with...

Also want them to have a bit of life about them, Michael Owen, Paul Ince and Paul Scholes put you to sleep......
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 28 Aug 11:44

Nice wee feature on Rose Reilly last night on the One Show!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 28 Aug 11:48

Not that he'd be the right fit for Soccer Saturday but by far the best analysis I have seen/heard in recent times is by Efan Ekoku. Usually covers some of the continental games shown by BT Sport.

There's battle lines being drawn Nobody's right if everybody is wrong.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Saltire  
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 17:53

meanwhile loose women continues to get daily airtime...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 18:37

Quote:

Saltire, Sun 30 Aug 17:53

meanwhile loose women continues to get daily airtime...

😁😁😁

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bigbeefcake  
Date:   Tue 1 Sep 09:55

I'm perplexed at how Berry not finding female comedians funny is being deemed as sexist on here.

This forum never ceases to amaze when it comes to being offended! Do people sit reading this website, scanning every comment to see what they can pick out and twist to suit a negative narrative?

It's another big beefy bonanza at the beefcake boulevard!!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Sep 10:49

Quote:

Bigbeefcake, Tue 1 Sep 09:55

I'm perplexed at how Berry not finding female comedians funny is being deemed as sexist on here.

This forum never ceases to amaze when it comes to being offended! Do people sit reading this website, scanning every comment to see what they can pick out and twist to suit a negative narrative?

Not everyone does, just the usuals.

Jane Lewis was excellent on Sportsound at the weekend. I'm big enough to admit I was wrong.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 12 Sep 12:57

Sherwood, Morrison and Pulis taking up the reigns today. If that's the state of things to come I'll swerve.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 12 Sep 14:40

It's interesting to read Jeff Stelling's views on female pundits in today's Guardian:-

''Stelling stresses how much football is opening up to women and changing for the better. Women are emerging as adept pundits and Sue Smith has appeared occasionally in the Soccer Saturday studio. But Stelling admits it is hard for any woman to appear on his panel. “Oh God, yes. The response on social media is horrendous. Whether it be Sue Smith or Alex Scott the criticism is horrendous and totally unjustified. When we had Soccer Specials, some of the women who’d come in had been very reluctant. They knew what the response would be, regardless of how good they were. There’s this blinkered idea – ‘It’s a woman, what can she know about football?’

“Twenty years ago I was also sceptical. But my view has changed and obviously we’ve had very good reporters like Michelle Owen, Bianca Westwood and Jacqui Oatley. They’re really experienced. When Sue came in it took her a while to grow in confidence. But she’s terrific value now and done brilliantly. There’s no reason why women shouldn’t feature more.”''
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 12 Sep 14:51

Clinton Morrison ladies and gentlemen.......

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 12 Sep 16:01

Clinton Morrison, Tim Sherwood, Paul Merson, Glen Johnson and Tony Pullis.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 12 Sep 17:11

Surely none of them can get the gig?

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 12 Sep 17:19

Why not? In reality the old gang hardly provided in depth analysis.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 00:42

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sat 12 Sep 17:19

I thought they did pretty well in delivering what they needed to. . . .and with a bit of humour.

If it's 'in depth analysis' you're looking for then there's plenty other shows that cover that on Sky. Probably to death. . .
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 01:54

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sat 12 Sep 17:19

Got a problem with them being old? Tut tut

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 08:34

Looks like sky have stopped showing Goals on Sunday and changed it with a general round up on SSN with the same name
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 09:42

I see the BBC are axing the triumvirate of Sue Barker, Matt Dawson and Phil Tufnell from 'A Question of Sport'. Nothing lasts forever.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 10:42

I didn't use the term 'old gang' in reference to their age but to the fact that they are former gang of pundits.
My point about the in depth analysis is that if the old gang of pundits were only on it because of the chemistry they had it's too soon to judge the new pundits on that criteria as it will take time to develop. I personally find it a rather uninspiring line up but it's too soon to judge it after only one show.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 11:01

Also noticed today that Sky have cancelled their Sunday morning football discussion show Sunday Supplement.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 11:19

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sun 13 Sep 11:01

Also noticed today that Sky have cancelled their Sunday morning football discussion show Sunday Supplement.

Ratings must have been low for them to be cancelled. By the time Goals on Sunday had came on, Match of the Day had been on twice. There obviously isn’t enough room for 2 highlights packages especially when one is on terrestrial tv and miles better than Sky’s equivalent.

The Sunday Supplement was a bunch of journos arguing for an hour. A few of them thought they had a valued opinion because they worked for a newspaper. Utter drivel at times and I’m not surprised it’s been binned.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 11:35

I quite enjoyed it. Like you say there is enough highlight shows on and that what has essentially replaced it, a sky sports news feed. Not sure what the rating were like for it. I think all sky sports shows have low ratings, quite possibly a cost cutting measure though.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 12:06

I haven't watched Question Of Sport for years. Can't stand Matt Dawson & "Tuffers" is about as funny as a kick in the balls.

Sue Barker was good with McCoist & John Parrott though, she's an excellent presenter.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 12:59

QOS has been going for 50 years. In that time it has had only 3 presenters and 14 team captains. How many can you name?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 13:24

Ally McCoist
John Parrott
Ian Botham
Bill Beaumont
Frankie Dettori

Few to start off with.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 13:36

Emlyn Hughes

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jojo  
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 13:56

Willie Carson , Gareth Edwards , Brendan Foster
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 14:21

If you include Dawson and Tufnell that's 11 captains you've got. That leaves 3 which include the original captains and another one who had a brief spell in the 70s. What about the other two presenters?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Thaipar  
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 14:28

David Coleman am sure was 1

Please don't book me Admin, it will ruin my life.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 14:37

David Coleman is correct but he wasn't the first presenter.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 14:41

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 13 Sep 14:37

David Coleman is correct but he wasn't the first presenter.

Also a David?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 14:44

Can possibly link him to the crucible if I am correct in my memory

Edited for the spelling polis VEE 😂

Post Edited (Sun 13 Sep 14:47)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 14:55

David Vine?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 14:57

Right on both counts, Thaipar. I think he may have also appeared at the Glen Pavilion.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 16:06

David Vine (of Quizball fame) was indeed the first presenter of QOS.

What about the 3 missing captains - a boxer, a rugby player and a cricketer?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 16:28

Cliff Morgan
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: thenatural  
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 16:58

Henry Cooper?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 17:48

2 out of 3! One to go. I must admit I don't remember this last one being a team captain but I didn't watch it much in the 70s.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: thenatural  
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 17:51

If it’s a cricketer, I’d guess Fred Trueman.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 17:58

Fred Trueman is correct. Well done.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net