DAFC.net
Home 20 September 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 1968 - Down Memory Lane
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 29 Aug 14:06

https://www.dunfermlinepress.com/news/18632810.pictures-memories-dunfermline-athletic-won-scottish-cup/

Ref. the two players in dark suits - one is John McGarty I reckon, struggling a bit with the other face.

I have a name in my head, but don't want to lead the witnesses !!!

Cue fellow auld farts for response.

Post Edited (Sun 30 Aug 09:36)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 1968 - Down Memory Lane
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sat 29 Aug 19:38

I might have thought Barrie Mitchel but I think he's middle of the back row.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ballingrypar  
Date:   Sat 29 Aug 21:18

mabey Ian lister
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FRED1981  
Date:   Sat 29 Aug 22:20

Ian Lister bottom left next to Tid Callaghan
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: davie moyes the first  
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 09:16

Eddie Ferguson ??
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Fethiyespar  
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 13:46

Willie Renton I think.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 14:07

There's a picture of the team from that era with a guy who i don't remember ever seeing play for the Pars. He is captioned as "J McLuskey" and is standing top right (see link below). He resembles the guy in the Dunfermline Press photograph.

https://www.dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=1968:_Celtic_0_Dunfermline_2&ID=11845

Anybody remember him or know anything about him? There is nothing about him on the Pars Database.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 14:16

I'm stuck on a few names:

(1) who's behind Edwards?

(2) Totten? is on Fraser's right. who's on his left? (i.e. to the right of JF as we're looking at it.)

(3) standing dark suit could be McGarty

(4) Who's the aulder guy to PG's left?

(5) Dark suit front could be Renton, he should be in the picture you'd think.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 14:21

Just looked at your link Oz. So that's Ferguson dark suit standing. Well done davie moyes

McGarty dark suit crouching. Well done VEE

Renton's not there? No RB either.

Post Edited (Sun 30 Aug 14:28)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 14:43

John Mcluskey was a Rosyth lad, worked on nuclear subs, was signed with Hawick Royal Albert (I think)

He used to train with us at Civil Service instead of driving away down to Hawick, Jimmy Seath and Frank Cassells were also with Hawick, and trained at Rosyth.

John had a brand new Cortina 1600e which everybody loved, last I heard he had moved to Bath, his brother was a goalkeeper and lived out in Lochgelly.

Don't think John was anywhere near cup final squad.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 15:27

Thanks for filling in the gaps there, LochgellyAlbert. Good info.

:)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 18:18

Nice one Oz.

The club photo in the link you posted 67/68 - no Roy Barry - strange omission.

TBH - not sure if it is McGarty standing or kneeling !!!

The name John McLuskey came from nowhere - no recollection of him at all.

LA - top performance with that info.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 18:57

If you look at VEE's link, (picture 2,) on the open top bus, that guy looking into Alex Edward's lug is the same as the one standing in the dark suit. Same guy is next to Gardner in the OZ-linked team photo and named 'E. Ferguson.'

I'm 99.9% sure McGarty is crouching in dark suit. Compare with the McGarty picture in the Oz team photo.

Post Edited (Sun 30 Aug 19:28)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 19:15

Definitely Mcgarty kneeling.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 19:15

Always saddens me that I wasn’t old enough to see the Pars in the 60s.
Those days will never come back

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 19:17

Was lucky enough to watch the great sixties teams.They were awesome, never got the recognition they deserved, in the Glasgow press.The west Brom win was a fantastic feat,and never got the publicity it deserved.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 19:35

I still like to remind folk that in 1968 the Pars played the English champions, Man City, four times on tour in America and drew all four matches. We even beat the OF a few times in the sixties. Nearly did the double etc, etc. Boy was it a great time to be a Pars fan - and Scotland fan for that matter. It took me decades to get used to the idea that they were exceptional times for Pars and Scotland and to lower my expectations. When I was a kid I thought it was normal that the Pars and Scotland were both great teams.

Post Edited (Sun 30 Aug 21:30)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 20:06

Superior observation skills from my peers = McGarty kneeling.

He won a Scottish Cup medal without ever having played for the Pars in a competitive match at EEP.

He was injured in a car accident that September and I think that effectively ended his career - maybe somebody has more ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 20:42

I read somewhere that the Cup Final was McGarty's third game for the Pars but maybe he hadn't played at EEP. I also learned that he was at Burnley as a young boy before he joined us. I don't know what happened to him when he left but his son, Mark, played for us too.

I'm not sure about the references to Willie Renton. Didn't he join us the following season when Tom Callaghan went to Celtic?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 21:29

I had a feeling we got Willie Renton from St Johnstone. I've just looked on Pars website and that's right. It says 'supposedly as a replacement for Celtic-bound Tommy Callaghan' in 1968. Well done Eck.

As far as I recall, John McGarty broke his leg in a car crash? and his career petered out. I liked him a lot, thought he had real class and composure on the ball. I seem to remember he wore his shorts on his hips? Made them seem a bit longer than others'. (Hipsters were fashionable about then. Remember them?)

Post Edited (Sun 30 Aug 21:40)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Aug 22:11

I just had a kinda flashback image o' Willie Renton wi' his sleeves rolled up tae the elbows. I seem tae think that was a trait o' his.

Shugs Robertson used tae be spittin' a lot?

Anybody remember any other wee habits o' oor players?

I remember Paddy G used tae get ca'd 'pigeon-chest', because he stuck his chest oot.

The magic feelin' when a used tae see oor team comin' oot in oor magnificent glowing strips fae the middle o' the stand. Other teams strips just looked mediocre, though I thought Aberdeen and Hibs looked quite good.

Post Edited (Sun 30 Aug 22:14)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 31 Aug 13:36

Remember cup final like it was yesterday. Didn't manage to be there,so had to endure the torture of listening on the old tranny.Never forget the scenes on the high street, absolutely magical.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 31 Aug 14:15

<<Anybody remember any other wee habits o' oor players?>>

I have mentioned on here before that Alex Edwards had a habit where he would poke his tongue into his cheek always in the direction that he intended to run. I don't think too many opposition fullbacks noticed that.

As for others in that era, my observations are more in relation to appearance. Jim Fraser always seemed to play with a smile on his face, Hugh Robertson had the hairiest legs and a permanent suntan and Barrie Mitchell had terrible varicose veins for such a young man. Willie Callaghan and John Lunn both smoked, Wilie Duff wore a cloth cap when he left the stadium after a match and George Farm had a fair old temper but was often kind to young fans.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 31 Aug 14:42

Ref Twin Par:

It was a wonderland. The whole toon wis a wonderland in they days. Parks, Galas, Pipers in the Glen, fields, farms, burns, woods. I've just looked up the Pitcorthie stone. First time I've seen it since I last saw it in a cornfield aboot 55 years ago. Goin' tae the fitba', used tae walk doon by Woodmill school; there was a buildin' at the bottom - was it a farm or maybe a wood mill? Crossed a burn and walked up through the woods at Garvock. Was a big hoose in there somewhere (Transy House?)wi' big grounds and a paddock for ponies, and ye come oot through the big fancy iron gates ontae Halbeath road.

It's funny, I know it's just imagination but I can sense the chill in the air and the upbeat mood, as I'm walkin' wi ma black and white scarf roon' ma neck and seein' ither folk in twos and threes headin' towards EEP. Got tae get ma programme!

Post Edited (Mon 31 Aug 15:19)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 31 Aug 15:42

You got right up close and personal there Oz. Shugs' hairy legs rings a bell.

I dunno if I should say any more, it might burst a bubble if the younger fans think we were in awe of the great Pars. We were to a degree but how can I put it? I seem tae remember Shugs got ca'd 'shovel feet' a few times because he had a habit o' blooterin' the ba' ower the bar. T.C. - well I was amazed when he got called up tae the Scotland squad and then Celtic bought him. Mind he could be brilliant or ... AWOL. Bert Paton got a reputation for trippin' over the white lines. I was at White Hart Lane when we played in the Texaco cup. The place was quiet until I heard this gruff voice bellowin' out loud and clear: 'Git aff the park Bert Paton!' (Mind the Pars were well past their best by then, late 1970) I hope others can see the funny side. We loved them, they were like family and we treated them as such. They were human. Heroic many a time. They had us on cloud nine a lot but sometimes left us down in the dumps.
If anyone thinks I'm being irreverant I won't be upset if this post is removed. Mind you, it'd be interestin' tae know if that boy wi' the loud voice at White Hart Lane is among us.

Post Edited (Mon 31 Aug 16:18)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: smitchel  
Date:   Mon 31 Aug 16:29

There was a pig farm at the bottom if I remember correctly onandupthepars.

mitchpar
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 31 Aug 17:24

John Lunn used to run clutching the jersey sleeve cuffs tightly - Fergie had that habit as well - maybe helped him get his elbows up and positioned for mixing it with opponents !!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Mon 31 Aug 17:31

The farm at Woodmill was owned by a bloke called Johnny Ford. He kept pigs and had tried to farm mink at one time as well. The road from Linburn to Woodmill passed between his house and the barn; it was very narrow, only allowing one car at a time to pass. It was quite a steep road and referred to locally as ‘the dip.’
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 31 Aug 20:28

Went over that burn and up the hill many times whilst doing cross country at Woodmill, was the big house at Garvock Hill not Jock Steins?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 31 Aug 21:03

Getting off the bus at the auld station smelling the atmosphere of a Fairs City Cup Wednesday night
Running down Piggie's Lane the floodlights in full luminous glory
Tasting the Buzz of excitement
Seeing the faces of expectation
Hearing the banter in the turnstile queue
Buying your programme from the first seller in case they ran oot
Warm yer hands on the Bovril cup an cheer till ye were hoarse
Spill out onto Halbeath Road making slow progress back for the bus
Then run till ye were red in the face no to miss the last wan
Back hame safe sound secure and happy COYP
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 31 Aug 21:55

I think Piggies’ Lane has a special place in the hearts of many Pars fans. After heavy rain you could smell creosote oozing out of the railway sleepers which border the lane and see the EEP floodlights up ahead.

Regarding Pars players’ idiosyncrasies. When competing for a high ball played down the middle, Roy Barry used to place his left arm across the chest of the centre forward as they were both jumping. This allowed Roy to get absolutely tight on his man and his timing was so good that invariably the ball came bulleting off his forehead back from where it had come.

Jim Herriott employed a risky tactic to avoid being shoulder charged after collecting a cross. He would smuggle the ball behind his back to wrong foot the forward rushing in. Some fans had palpitations as a result but he seemed to know what he was doing.

George McLean was known as ‘Dandy’ and when he came out for the second half he always had his hair neatly watered and combed into place. Dandy wasn’t known for his work rate and sometimes it seemed he hadn’t a hair out of place after 90 minutes.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 31 Aug 22:41

You guys have got to spot on.Its great to be an old pars fan.Any you guys at pitcorthie about 63 ?Billy barras,Billy Forbes,james Simpson, roy mellis trevor tabb,raymond Thomas,Davy McGregor derick brand. Still see some of these guys.

Post Edited (Mon 31 Aug 22:55)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 2 Sep 01:28

Twin par,

I was at Pitcorthie in '63, but I was only seven, I think they guys would be aulder? I was there when we won the St Maggies Cup v Inzievar? ('65?) and Willie Cunningham presented the cup after the final at Pitreavie. I remember we played Toryburn in the semi and drew 1-1. They were tough and good, we couldn't beat them until extra time was decided on who conceded the next corner.
So in they days, not only the Pars and Scotland were great teams, even the school had a VG team. I thought that was how life was and that it'd continue indefinitely like that. I didn't know things would change.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 2 Sep 02:16

I saw the '65 St. Margaret's final which Pitcorthie won 4-1. Harry McKinlay grabbed a couple of goals, one a diving header which was a rarity at primary level.

The following year, just before the 1966 WC, Blacklaw beat Pitcorthie 2-0 in the final. That was like an Old Firm derby in our boyish imagination and there was a fair crowd at Pitreavie on a Friday evening. Harry had moved on to secondary school by then so it made things a bit easier for us.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 2 Sep 02:27

I remember Harry McKinlay had right curly hair, good player; Billy Lind and Gogsy Ritchie come tae mind as well in the '65 final. That was a very good team and for the final they wore thick black and white stripes, like the 1961 Pars. Pitcorthie normally wore yellow and brown shirts but I think they must've got a loan of special kit for the final.

Aye Blacklaw, there was quite a bit o' rivalry wi' them.

Post Edited (Wed 02 Sep 02:31)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net