DAFC.net
Home 20 September 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Ross McArthur speaks about yesterday’s news
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Wed 2 Sep 19:19

A Happy Man

buffysbuns.wordpress.com

Post Edited (Wed 02 Sep 19:27)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Hear from our Chairman
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Wed 2 Sep 19:26

Been ongoing since last November, nobody meet the Germans in 7 Kings?🤔🤣🤣🤣
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Wed 2 Sep 19:52

Good presentation ,Sounds very promising
[IP address logged]
 Re: Ross McArthur speaks about yesterday’s news
Topic Originator: cfad  
Date:   Wed 2 Sep 20:14

Spoke very well, and came across as genuinely excited about the opportunity as both Chairman and a fan. Honest and open, good interview, and it has put my mind at rest a little more after watching.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Wed 2 Sep 20:20

That makes me feel comfortable if I'm honest.
I think as fans we should look a St Pauli....really go for it, get every inclusion flag flying and mean it, make EEP so welcoming fans from out with the town want to go or be part of it...

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Wed 2 Sep 20:22

I’m excited
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 2 Sep 20:25

I had my tesco order delivered just as I started to listen so a guid pal has just pointed out to me that the Board offered EEP to the consortium to buy but they weren’t overly fussed about it (I think that was covered in the Q&A) and there’s no guarantee that the stadium would be bought by them at all.

I personally think there needs to be a huge amount of money spent on the stadium to bring it up to date and hopefully this will happen now.

**big screen telly in the kiosk near the Cowden end o the main stand pretty please, as well as frankfurters and mustard 👅**

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Wed 2 Sep 20:40

Sounds very exciting. Germany are one of the most organised countries in the world in sporting and business terms and it seems like they were by far the best group to pick from. I feel very optimistic about this and fingers crossed it turns out to be the correct move. At least it seems like there are fail safes in place if this goes wrong.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 2 Sep 20:53

I'm surprised the interviewer didn't ask Ross about the investors' objectives and roughly how much the investment is.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gareth Keenan Investigates  
Date:   Wed 2 Sep 20:55

Was good to see the chairman so enthusiastic about this and with a smile on his face. I haven't agreed with some of his previous decisions but he is a fantastic chairman and representative for our club.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Wed 2 Sep 21:22

I think the investment is as much a vote of confidence in the BoD as anything else. Over the years I have worked with big companies but I found its more about the individual than big company reputations.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Wed 2 Sep 21:29

Wee Eck the interviewer is Steven Mill from ForthOne big Pars fan.

Have to say watching that has changed my mind, was very sceptical but now felling optimistic, can’t wait to get back into my seat now 😉
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Wed 2 Sep 21:43

Well, what an excellent, informative and inspiring interview! I still can’t get my head around why this group wants to invest in DAFC but it certainly sounds like a win-win situation. Of one thing there’s absolutely no doubt, the next few years are going to be very interesting. Congratulations to our Chairman and his fellow Board members.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Townsvillepar  
Date:   Wed 2 Sep 21:43

Many thanks for posting the link Buffy.
Very good interview and what an exciting future for the Pars. Ross McArthur is one of us, and as a Pars supporter he wants the best for the club. He is a great leader and a very decent man.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Wed 2 Sep 22:02

Quote:

wee eck, Wed 2 Sep 20:53

I'm surprised the interviewer didn't ask Ross about the investors' objectives and roughly how much the investment is.

Maybe there was a Jim Maclean...dinnae offer me that...before the interview?!?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 2 Sep 22:04

I will echo what Townsville Par has said. Wonderful news and a huge thumbs up to Ross and the board for seeing this through. It is clear that they are rightfully delighted with this outcome. As we should be.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Wed 2 Sep 22:49

Quote:

Rastapari, Wed 2 Sep 20:20

That makes me feel comfortable if I'm honest.
I think as fans we should look a St Pauli....really go for it, get every inclusion flag flying and mean it, make EEP so welcoming fans from out with the town want to go or be part of it...

Correct. This will require a fundamental mindset shift for many people and will need help along the way. Well up for it though.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 00:06

Sweetie wifie. It’s a term of abuse for someone who butters you up and tells you what you want to hear so I will use it for the Ross McArthur interview. McArthur is a sweetie wifie.

McArthur is trying to square a circle. A fan owned club is, on the quiet, bought by a Hamburg consortium with potential 75% holding. That is some difference and McArthur, who is presumably a man at his wits end and suffering from fatigue, has sold out DAFC to a consortium of whom we know next to nothing. The problem is I am not sure he knows much more about them either. In the interview he speaks like a schoolboy opening his first bank account. I could put it cruder.

‘Due diligence’ is business speak for taking the fastest dollar around and we should surely ask why around 9 clubs were approached by this consortium and knocked them back, before us. What were the reasons for that? Why did we, distinct from many others it seems, sign up with the Hamburg consortium? Airport links and a growing fan base have been mooted and these are interesting but not compelling arguments. Kilmarnock or Dundee Utd might claim the same. Or we will have free access to African talent in German football that we can sell on for profit in order to do what??????

No one is clear about the next stage. Are we are a perennial nursery club or a team who sells a star player every year in order to compete at top level as we did in my boyhood? Nothing is clear about this. Nurturing young talent is an imperfect science in any case. Who would have thought that Davie Robertson would have become a top world class player before his more talented feed at Tannadice in midfield, Ryan Gould? Has Murray Park produced a conveyor belt of Scottish football talent? You can speculate big time and accumulate little.

I will return to Ross McArthur. I don’t doubt he has done more for the Pas than any of us on the site but he has cut and run. His interview was a succession of platitudes and wishful thinking. He has washed his hands of the Pars.

I will take my cue from Socks who wrote so well yesterday and adopt a position of cautious optimism, with my fingers crossed. But I’m not really the religious sort.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 00:34

What a drivelling mess.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 03:11

Sammer. I can hardly begin to express how annoying and frustrating it is to read your latest diatribe.

I wonder if it is not you who is the sweetie wife here?

You butter us up with your tales of Roy Barry, John Lunn, et al, from way back in the sixties, peppered with extraordinary recall of fine detail.

Then you fire off this bilgewater filled with more poison than the Novichok your hero in the Kremlin likes to dispense to his enemies.

I don't understand your motovation.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 04:44

Quote:

sammer, Thu 03 Sep 00:06

Sweetie wifie. It’s a term of abuse for someone who butters you up and tells you what you want to hear so I will use it for the Ross McArthur interview. McArthur is a sweetie wifie.

McArthur is trying to square a circle. A fan owned club is, on the quiet, bought by a Hamburg consortium with potential 75% holding. That is some difference and McArthur, who is presumably a man at his wits end and suffering from fatigue, has sold out DAFC to a consortium of whom we know next to nothing. The problem is I am not sure he knows much more about them either. In the interview he speaks like a schoolboy opening his first bank account. I could put it cruder.

‘Due diligence’ is business speak for taking the fastest dollar around and we should surely ask why around 9 clubs were approached by this consortium and knocked them back, before us. What were the reasons for that? Why did we, distinct from many others it seems, sign up with the Hamburg consortium? Airport links and a growing fan base have been mooted and these are interesting but not compelling arguments. Kilmarnock or Dundee Utd might claim the same. Or we will have free access to African talent in German football that we can sell on for profit in order to do what??????

No one is clear about the next stage. Are we are a perennial nursery club or a team who sells a star player every year in order to compete at top level as we did in my boyhood? Nothing is clear about this. Nurturing young talent is an imperfect science in any case. Who would have thought that Davie Robertson would have become a top world class player before his more talented feed at Tannadice in midfield, Ryan Gould? Has Murray Park produced a conveyor belt of Scottish football talent? You can speculate big time and accumulate little.

I will return to Ross McArthur. I don’t doubt he has done more for the Pas than any of us on the site but he has cut and run. His interview was a succession of platitudes and wishful thinking. He has washed his hands of the Pars.

I will take my cue from Socks who wrote so well yesterday and adopt a position of cautious optimism, with my fingers crossed. But I’m not really the religious sort.

WOW!!!!! you really are a prize 🔔🔚

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 05:02

Quote:

OzPar, Thu 3 Sep 03:11

Sammer. I can hardly begin to express how annoying and frustrating it is to read your latest diatribe.

I wonder if it is not you who is the sweetie wife here?

You butter us up with your tales of Roy Barry, John Lunn, et al, from way back in the sixties, peppered with extraordinary recall of fine detail.

Then you fire off this bilgewater filled with more poison than the Novichok your hero in the Kremlin likes to dispense to his enemies.

I don't understand your motovation.

Well said
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 05:21

Just to be clear that that is NOT what a sweetie wifie is! 😂

A sweetie wifie is a wee gossip!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 07:01

Quote:

sammer, Thu 3 Sep 00:06

Kind of wild speculation there sammer.
DAFC were approached several times by consortiums and denied.
Clearly these guys fit the bill and came up with some investment already.
To the layman, yes it may seem like the club has become privatised again which it isn't yet but while it probably will be, it must be remembered that the fan owned club was, in effect owned by a relatively small group who held the majority of the shares and they would hold most of the aces.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte

Post Edited (Thu 03 Sep 07:10)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 07:22

The main thing i took from that post is Sammer didn't know what a sweetie wife is.

There are also several other glaring inaccuracies such as making stuff up about 9 other clubs knocking them back.

A classic case of I will write a very long post to try and look clever when in fact it's just slavering pihs.

Post Edited (Thu 03 Sep 07:27)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 07:30

Quote:

The amount of investment is confidential, why would he ask that?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Townsvillepar  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 07:53

I have always respected the many interesting posts that Sammer has put up over the years and the competitions and quizzes. Sammer seems to have the best memory for many things about the Pars in the past, which I can relate to. I am surprised at his recent post. There is every reason for being cautious, but it sounded like we could not trust Ross McArthur. In my opinion nothing could be further from the truth. I am confident that the involvement and investment from the German consortium can only lead to a positive future for the Pars. Happy Days ahead
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 08:07

There is an interesting article on St Pauli here.

<https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/sep/06/st-pauli-club-that-stands-for-all-the-right-things-except-winning

Contribution from Thomas Meggle.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 08:32

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/sep/06/st-pauli-club-that-stands-for-all-the-right-things-except-winning

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 08:49

Here is another article in a German newspaper;

Thomas Meggle is back on the football stage, albeit in a previously unseen form: the former player, trainer and head of sport at FC St. Pauli is rising together with former tennis professional Damir Keretic, German-British financial expert Nicholas Teller and honorary consul Great Britain's Albrecht Gundermann joins the Scottish second division FC Dunfermline. The quartet's shares are 30 percent, originally it should be 75.1 - but then Corona came. Keretic, Teller and, above all, Meggle in a sporting advisory role want to be regularly on site and push forward planning in the existing structures. Meggle and Co. want to build something with sustainability Meggle explains in “Kicker”: “The level is comparable between the 3rd division and the regional division in Germany. There is no head of sport, the first goalkeeper is also the goalkeeping coach - that's the current situation. We want to build something with sustainability. ”The group wants to stand out from the behavior of other donors:“ We will not act like many other investors in Germany. In any case, I don't know of any investor team that is set up like us. "

The key point is sustainability.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 08:52

Reading the various press releases and statements, it seems they will have a more hands on approach. The difference I think will be time and expertise invested in the club rather than purely financial.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 09:21

“Sweetie wifie. It’s a term of abuse for someone who butters you up and tells you what you want to hear” - no it’s not. I really should have stopped reading after this.

“‘Due diligence’ is business speak for taking the fastest dollar around” - no it’s not. It means the total opposite. Having been involved in investment decisions at my work, I can assure you that due diligence is the total opposite of that.

“we should surely ask why around 9 clubs were approached by this consortium and knocked them back, before us.“ - who said that? McArthur said that WE had turned down other bidders. It was mentioned that they had discussions with other clubs, but decided not to invest. But nobody said 9 clubs turned them down. You’re making things up, to try and justify your negativity. Pathetic.

I’ll not quote your next paragraph. But it doesn’t link together. You say we need more clarity on if we’ll sell best players every year etc, then go on to explain why we can’t be clear about things like that, since you have no idea how players will progress until they do.

“He has washed his hands of the Pars.” - he’s staying on as chairman. So, again, you have made something up, to suit your bizarre argument.

“I will take my cue from Socks who wrote so well yesterday and adopt a position of cautious optimism” - you’ve not done this at all, instead you’ve made up a load of rubbish to try and convince everyone else that this is going to be a disaster. Your post didn’t include any optimism and you tried to turn everything into a negative.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 10:51

Sammer getting his @rse handed to him on a plate.

I can understand some concerns that others have detailed eloquently but that was just an absolute mess of a post. Full of inaccuracies. No foundation. In short, not worth including in the debate.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 11:04

''Topic Originator: BigJPar like | nolike
Date: Thu 3 Sep 07:30

Quote:

The amount of investment is confidential, why would he ask that?''

Fair enough, BJP, but if you don't ask you don't get. The amount should be clear when the current year's accounts are published so it won't be a secret for ever.

One another thing isn't clear to me. Do these guys have interests in other football clubs (eg St Pauli)? I presume they set up DAFC Fussball GmbH as a vehicle for this investment but do they have any previous experience of doing this sort of thing by which we could assess their performance?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bigbuster  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 11:17

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 3 Sep 11:04

''Topic Originator: BigJPar like | nolike
Date: Thu 3 Sep 07:30

Quote:

The amount of investment is confidential, why would he ask that?''

Fair enough, BJP, but if you don't ask you don't get. The amount should be clear when the current year's accounts are published so it won't be a secret for ever.

One another thing isn't clear to me. Do these guys have interests in other football clubs (eg St Pauli)? I presume they set up DAFC Fussball GmbH as a vehicle for this investment but do they have any previous experience of doing this sort of thing by which we could assess their performance?

The amount of investment will be kept confidential so the price of potential signing targets doesnt go up ( I.E if a club is willing to let a player go for nothing they see us intrested and ask for money.)

D.brown
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 11:25

I thought the cash was to be used to establish training facilities and a youth academy. I thought they specifically ruled out 'splashing the cash' on players?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 11:33

Quote:

Townsvillepar, Thu 3 Sep 07:53

I have always respected the many interesting posts that Sammer has put up over the years and the competitions and quizzes. Sammer seems to have the best memory for many things about the Pars in the past, which I can relate to. I am surprised at his recent post.

I don't know why, he's always posted nonsense AFAIK.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jock-par  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 11:56

Ross alluded that the cash has already been used to bring in players ahead of our competitors

We are Dunfermline, we're on our way back!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bigbuster  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 12:02

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 3 Sep 11:25

I thought the cash was to be used to establish training facilities and a youth academy. I thought they specifically ruled out 'splashing the cash' on players?

Even if he said it was would other clubs not chance it and then we risk losing player the manager has in his plans

D.brown
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 12:20

''Ross alluded that the cash has already been used to bring in players ahead of our competitors''

I thought he was saying that the additional financial security the investment gave us enabled the club to offer two- and three-year contracts where we might previously have offered only a one-year contract.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 12:33

good interview adding a little bit more background to the Q and A, obviously there are still plenty of questions to be answered but that will happen sooner rather than later hopefully.

couple of extra points picked up in the papers, the Courier saying its a "significant six figure sum" and im not sure it was in the video but in the Press, McArthur mentions there are other people in the group as well so its not just the 4 of them.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: KnebworthPar  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 12:38

We have been very lucky to have Ross McArthur and our board in charge for the last 7 years. They've done a great job in the face of huge challenges, I'm sure many of which we'll never know or realise.

For me, I have loved the idea of the club being fan owned and am hugely disappointed that, for now, this is no longer our path. It seems a great shame that the enthusiasm and work everybody has done to date clearly hasn't been enough.

However, I do trust Ross McArthur. His interview, as with everything I have read or seen of him, is honest, clear and with The Pars at his heart.

If Ross McArthur, the board, PST and PUCIC feel this takeover is in the long term best interest of the club then I accept that and indeed will embrace it, they all certainly seem massively positive, so crikey why not, maybe this will be the start of something wonderful.

If it isn't a success then I feel its been done with the best interests of the club at heart and if it doesn't work, what will we have lost? Certainly not the club, whatever happens we know DAFC will survive, the last few years have taught us that if nothing else.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 12:42

Both the three page analysis in "The Dunfermline Press" and the articulate interview with Ross are extremely reassuring.

The one concern many had, ie the thought of the Stadium being sold, has been put to rest.

It is a long time since I have genuinely felt we could be heading back to the Premiership but I do now.

These are exciting optimistic times.

Ross has worked his socks off.

Post Edited (Thu 03 Sep 12:43)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 13:01

If I am honest, I was taken aback when reading about this yesterday, I,like many had reservations about the deal. After watching Ross's Interview I am feeling a lot better over the future of our great club

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 13:05

The language from the investors is that they are different to other investors in clubs. Its not just a cash boost. Its seems to be about bringing in expertise, connections, support and long term direction. A sustainable football club can't rely on benefactors and it needs to be able to generate income from within. What that model is, I am sure will be flushed out in the coming months. This is another step in the journey, and a good one as far as I can see. Thomas Meggle spoke about transparency, authenticity, ethics and culture. These are fundamental for any partnership. They clearly see not only the potential but the sound management that has underpinned the club for the past 7 years. I see this as a very positive step and I am sure it will be a learning experience for everyone involved.

Post Edited (Thu 03 Sep 13:07)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 13:11

"Thomas Meggle spoke about transparency, authenticity, ethics and culture. These are fundamental for any partnership."

And as either ex St Pauli employees or current fans also have a track record in practising what they're preaching.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 13:18

In reading through many of the posts here, I feel disappointed that many seem willing to accept this without any real thought or scrutiny. Given how recently our existence was in doubt, I'd really have hoped we'd all be looking at something as major as this sceptically but it seems that the prospect of some outside money, on a basis that is as yet unknown, is enough for some to just accept it.

I'm still uncomfortable with it and until such time that full detail emerges as to the motivation of this group, I'll remain that way. At the moment, it still makes no sense to me.

I mentioned before about the Anelka thing at the Rovers. I was having a look back at that today and there's a very interesting interview with Turnbull Hutton about it:

http://www.scotzine.com/2013/06/turnbull-hutton-claude-anelka-era-set-raith-back-five-to-six-years/

Before anyone has a go at me and makes out that I'm saying our situation is going to go exactly like this, I'm not. But if you read the whole article, there are a few interesting bits that might have relevance here also. This one in particular:

“But the new investors, when it actually came to delivering the money that had been promised, it didn’t happen. So the thing was under-funded from the start, and as a consequence, we struggled for five or six years trying to get over that under-funding.”

I genuinely hope it works out well for us as we all do, but until some detailed info comes from their side of this, it's going to worry me. It perplexes me that many don't seem concerned in the slightest.

I'm not saying the following is the case, but take it as a hypothesis: say these folk are a bunch of shysters whose motivation is not in the best interests of DAFC and whose plan relies on fans' acceptance to let them get in. In that case, I'd say they'd be delighted with the response they've had to it so far.

Let's stay awake here and scrutinise the details. In the period of stupid spending and then the lead-up to 2012/13, collectively we just did not look at things critically enough. In 2003 the spending was OK because Masterton had a good relationship with the bank and sustained success would increase crowds. The Stadia group wasn't in trouble. I attended a fans forum at Cafe Royal in Edinburgh that season at which John Yorkston said he didn't share the view that Stadio group were in trouble. Next morning I heard on radio that they'd gone into interim liquidation. In 2012 when it was all going mental, some folk were saying they would refuse to believe there was any issue unless there was a statement on the offical website to confirm it!

Because we're fans and we want the best for the club, there can be a tendency to feel we have to go with what we're being told because those telling us know better. Well, bollocks to that, I say. It's up to all of us to think critically and not accept every scrap we're thrown.

Again, I'm not saying 'this is a disaster', I'm saying 'this might be OK, but there's a chance it could be a disaster, and we as fans have to be careful and watch what is happening."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 13:36

Absolutely nothing wrong with critical thinking especially when its well thought out and rational.

I think even those expressing optimism at the deal share some of your concerns but possibly just haven't posted them. Once bitten twice shy and all that.

From my reading of the Q & A, is the funding not tied to the equity so if they don't pony up the cash then they can't take control of the club or have I got that wrong? If I'm right, the initial amounts negotiated will have been received and from that point onwards they'll be running the club and would need to invest or grow the club in a similar way that any board would.

The change in management is obviously a risk as we feel like we've got a safe pair of hands and structure in place now but the board appear to genuinely believe that the best way forward is through the external investment promised by DAFC Fußball GMBH.

There has been a drop off in attendance due to our lack of progress in challenging for a title which will ultimately reduce budgets which in turn has a knock on effect in trying to mount a future challenge or getting entertaining players on the park so the board possibly viewed it as a risk to stand still as well incase a decline began to set in.

There will be a lot to keep an eye on going forward for sure and I don't disagree with a lot of the points you're making but I'm cautiously optimistic that the negatives won't come to fruition and the club can move forward.

If we hear: Sir haben das Glück, jobs zu haben - then we got it wrong 😀
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 13:59

I think some of us are scrutinising more than you realise, Socks and not just accepting the oooo cash let’s have it scenario - but we don’t need to scream about it on here. (Not saying you are)

I can’t imagine any pars fan having anything else (club wise) on their mind right now.

Everyone will have their skepticism in one shape or another along with positivity, negativity and sky high emotions in between.

I think (personally) the proof will be in the pudding.

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 14:06

I think there are many of us whom are optimistic, but cautious also.

The two things that give me some comfort are that:

- I think Ross and the board are pretty shrewd operators and big fans. I don't think they'd risk selling the club to anyone they weren't absolutely sure wanted in on it for the right reasons.

- It's a German consortium with links to St. Pauli. Their background doesn't suggest that they're asset strippers or fantasists in disguise.

The caveat is that con men tend not to be that transparent. They're unlikely to unveil any sort of dastardly plan up front.

As fans, we'll have to wait and see. We should be cautious, we should have a plan if it turns to sh1t, but we can still be welcoming and optimistic.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 14:09

Quote:

Socks, Thu 3 Sep 13:18
I genuinely hope it works out well for us as we all do, but until some detailed info comes from their side of this, it's going to worry me.

That's it in a nutshell. The Germans have given some high-level information about what they can offer the club. There has been no information about what they are going to take, or when.

The eventual loss of majority fan ownership in 2022 is really quite upsetting. I realise I'll be in a minority here, but I'd be happier scrapping for survival under fan control, in the 2nd tier, than being a low-end top division team under control from foreign investors.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 14:23

Why? There are obviously justifiable concerns about anyone taking control of the club but assuming the investors are on the up and up there's a very real chance that they would do a better job of running the club than a local fans group.

German football is well known for its focus on fans especially the likes of St Pauli. It would obviously be wrong to say by default they are German ergo they will be good for us but, if they do bring all the good things that the Germans do around football including how their clubs operate in the community, it could be a great thing for us.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Thaipar  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 14:27

Unless I picked the interview up wrong Ross said that if at any time the investors want to sell the ground it has to be offered back to the current investors.
I really can't see any angle that's not been covered.

Please don't book me Admin, it will ruin my life.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 14:40

Quote:

londonparsfan, Thu 3 Sep 14:23

Why? There are obviously justifiable concerns about anyone taking control of the club but assuming the investors are on the up and up there's a very real chance that they would do a better job of running the club than a local fans group.

German football is well known for its focus on fans especially the likes of St Pauli. It would obviously be wrong to say by default they are German ergo they will be good for us but, if they do bring all the good things that the Germans do around football including how their clubs operate in the community, it could be a great thing for us.

I'd rather we were locally run, because I don't think the football person in the 4 man investor group has the CV to make me think he's going to make a difference.

Why are people talking about St Pauli like they have been marvellously run by Meggle and he has answers to whatever problems we have?

Meggle managed them for 13 games in 14/15 and was sacked when they were 18th. He was then was a director for 2 years. Does that mean he's better qualified than anyone on our board to be the football man in a group of 4 running DAFC?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 14:52

We're talking about the 4 men being St Pauli fans, with the ethos of that club being a reason for encouragement re their motives.

No-one is getting specifically excited about Meggle coaching the team. As it was, St Pauli fans seem to reckon he did a good job in his two years or so in more of a sporting director role - albeit, it didn't end on a high note.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 14:55

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Thu 3 Sep 14:52

We're talking about the 4 men being St Pauli fans, with the ethos of that club being a reason for encouragement re their motives.

No-one is getting specifically excited about Meggle coaching the team. As it was, St Pauli fans seem to reckon he did a good job in his two years or so in more of a sporting director role - albeit, it didn't end on a high note.

It is more than a 4 man investor grouup.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 15:11

To be honest - yes I think it does make him more qualified. The board have always said they don't have a football background which is why they were looking to guys like Jackie Mac for input. These guys are putting their money where their mouth is that they can add value.

The other guys have a background in finance and marketing and one specifically with direct experience in sports marketing.

St Pauli are a small club but they have also been considered to reflect their fans:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53078948

A lot of that I like the sound of and as a Sporting Director Meggle was working under that ethos. Now he might have just done the job and not really believed in any of it but it would be a surprise to spend that much time associated with a club and not buy into those values especially as a local lad.

He was also credited with an improvement on the park as part of his dismissal which sounds like he did something right:

https://www.fcstpauli.com/en/news/published/meggle-dismissal/

I can't think of many local people that have the level of football experience, financial backing and desire to invest that these guys do.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 15:15

Seems pretty weird no-one. Listened to the interview with Ross. Club still in hands of current chairman and investors can only buy.the stadium, not to mention iif they ever decided to. Sell it has, to be offered. Back to current investors. Now not for a moment do I think that the sell clause will have a price fixed into it. Also.

Our current board aren't savvy enough to have thought. This through.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DRreturns  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 15:28

Some posters on here are, in nice words, complete bampots! You’d think RM has bitten these investors hands off at first offer when clearly he states that’s this has been ongoing for near to 18 months. If you actually listened to the interview I think you’ll find that the investors looked at multiple clubs to invest in but did not find a club worthy of their investment. This isn’t aimed at anyone in particular......but Sammer you might want to think before you type absolute drivel and nonsense!

I’m here to take over!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RMGpar  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 15:39

RM is a clever Business Man in his own right, he did have an accountancy firm did he not?

i have every faith that the best interests of the club were put first
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Neebur  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 15:48

Of course McArthur comes across well and excited in his interview but he,s hardly going to say we,ve sold our soul to some dodgy german consortium

It seems because we cant get to where we want to be quick enough lets invite in unknowns with no connection to the club or the community

With socks on this
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 16:00

Where would we as fans like the club to be?

Personally I would prefer us to not only get back into the Premier League but also establish ourselves there rather than yo-yo'ing (while doing this on a sustainable basis). Do we not also want to have proper training facilities and hopefully set up a successful youth development programme? Do we not also want to be in the financial position to offer longer term contracts to get more season to season squad continuity and increase the our chances of selling on the next Kevin Nisbet to generate much needed working capital rather than with one year contracts risk seeing them leave as free agents?

As Ross has explained in yesterday's video, the new funding has already allowed longer contracts to be issued.

Some have expressed a desire to eventually have some safe standing areas created at EEP. Who knows - once priorities like a training facility and development programme are up and running perhaps this could be on the cards some day?

Achieving all I have listed seems to require a greater level of funding than we currently can afford under our previous community only model.

For a number of years we were able to generate a small profit but this and our reserve capital was largely wiped out by one Annus horibilis. We have then had to endure Covid. Having directors provide £300,000 of interest free loans is not a sustainable model going forward.

Our board is made up of die-hard fans like us who have worked so hard on our behalf. I am happy to trust them to do what is best for our club. If we are going down the route of going back to a majority private ownership, it appears from comments that the new German investors are very much the type of investors we would want to see getting involved.

With the German investor's links to St Pauli - they could bring some very positive new initiatives further increasing links between the club and the community. Who knows - maybe the Pars could become a cult club with fans all over the place?

Apart from being reassured by the comments of all those who have met and interacted with the new investors, a key takehome from Ross's video interview yesterday for me was that for this new investment to work, it has to be in addition to (and not a replacement for) what we are already doing. In otherwords the new capital together with existing initiatives like the Centenary Club Lifeline will together allow us to do and achieve more. Our role as supportive fans will therefore continue to be critical for success. Thus to a certain degree it looks as if the Pars will have to remain very much a community orientated club.

I was pleased to see clarification in the video that PUCIC also has first chance to buy back the stadium as well as the club should the new investors (if they buy EEP and that is not a given) want to sell.

Exciting and interesting times to be a Pars fan.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 16:50

Thanks to Rhinopars for an excellent post and saving me some time typing. Pretty much my thoughts exactly

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 16:55

Good Post RhinoPars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 17:11

Pretty much nailed it, the community owned model has worked/works brilliantly for saving the club, but to get out of the money pit that is second tier Scotland is painful, so hats off to the BOD for finding a way forward, I am sure it's cost them plenty and not just financially, and that can't continue- this sounds excellent.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 17:36

I’ve heard a few people comparing this to Claude Anelka at Raith. The biggest difference is this group aren’t coming in with ridiculous and unrealistic statements like Anelka - “We’ll make Raith the third force in scottish football”. McArthur has also stated that the group will not be injecting heaps of cash into the club and that they still need the fans help to push on. This looks like a long term investment and one that I personally feel excited about. Hopefully it turns out to be successful and we can push on and finally become a club that is stable in the SPL. I do however realised that this will take time!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Roy Barry Fan Club  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 17:39

RhinoPars covers all the major points. It is a well thought out piece which is a country mile from blind acceptance.

I understand Sock's caution and scepticism. Just to address some of Sock's concerns directly:

1. Socks fairly notes that the proof of the pudding is in the eating. He is not wrong. Socks quotes from the Rover's experience with Anelka, and the never arriving funds. We could all add to that the positions at other football clubs where the cash did not materialise. However the cash has already arrived at Dunfermline. The Germans have taken a 30 per cent stake and no-one has sold their shares. This means that new shares have been issued. Now shares are not going to be issued without the proceeds having arrived in advance. We can all be certain that a sizeable sum of money arrived in the DAFC bank account on Tuesday morning which allowed those shares to be issued. If they exercise the option and take another 45% then we'll again see the colour of their money before we issue the shares.

The unusual feature of this investment is that it is equity and not the more usual debt, or otherwise the new money going to a previous owner with no benefit for the club.

2. Ross and indeed Rhino have noted the fragility of the business model for clubs in the Championship. Four years of cash accumulation can be wiped out very easily by one bad year even in a well run club like Dunfermline. Then what? DAFC came through 2018/19 because it had the financial support of major shareholders but that can not be relied upon in the future. What then if existing shareholders cannot or will not support the Club? It does not bear thinking about. Frankly, a deeper capital base is needed than the existing structure can produce. I liked our existing model but we have to think with our heads and not our hearts in this matter.

Imagine the position if no crowds at all are allowed back into football grounds in season 2020/21? What clubs will best survive this? Answer: those with cash in the bank. Nor is it desirable or credible to plan for just survival in the Championship with a ten team league and the leaching away of enthusiasm. The better answer is to increase the pool of funds, the pool of ideas and aim to take the club forwards.

3. Some people have expressed scepticism about the German investors. Then do your own diligence! It is actually very easy on the internet. I've gone further and used my own contacts in two global accounting firms in Hamburg. I can say that they have a very good reputation in Germany, and I'm happy with the feedback that I got. Frankly they are blue chip. However more than that, I am told by my German friends that they are absolutely in sync with the culture of St Pauli, which may not suit everyone but certainly plays to my sympathies and which I think will sit well with our own culture. I also think it is good that we are dealing with a group of people rather than with one person's ego, desires, financial reach and indeed mortality.

Anyway I would urge people to stay on watch, stay questioning, but from what I have observed I think that Ross has pulled off a very considerable coup. No doubt we will hear the German perspective on what they hope to achieve very shortly.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 17:50

Thanks for that TRBFC.
The recurring theme of the more sceptical posts is one that I would echo.
How do these investors expect their cash injection to make a profit for them when everyone else that invests in this level of football doesn't generally even see their original funds back?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 17:52

Very helpful insight. Thanks, Donald

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 17:58

Another cracking post from TRBFC
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 18:02

Thanks Donald (and Rhino)

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 18:10

Quote:

RhinoPars, Thu 3 Sep 16:00

Where would we as fans like the club to be?

Personally I would prefer us to not only get back into the Premier League but also establish ourselves there rather than yo-yo'ing (while doing this on a sustainable basis). Do we not also want to have proper training facilities and hopefully set up a successful youth development programme? Do we not also want to be in the financial position to offer longer term contracts to get more season to season squad continuity and increase the our chances of selling on the next Kevin Nisbet to generate much needed working capital rather than with one year contracts risk seeing them leave as free agents?

As Ross has explained in yesterday's video, the new funding has already allowed longer contracts to be issued.

Some have expressed a desire to eventually have some safe standing areas created at EEP. Who knows - once priorities like a training facility and development programme are up and running perhaps this could be on the cards some day?

Achieving all I have listed seems to require a greater level of funding than we currently can afford under our previous community only model.

For a number of years we were able to generate a small profit but this and our reserve capital was largely wiped out by one Annus horibilis. We have then had to endure Covid. Having directors provide £300,000 of interest free loans is not a sustainable model going forward.

Our board is made up of die-hard fans like us who have worked so hard on our behalf. I am happy to trust them to do what is best for our club. If we are going down the route of going back to a majority private ownership, it appears from comments that the new German investors are very much the type of investors we would want to see getting involved.

With the German investor's links to St Pauli - they could bring some very positive new initiatives further increasing links between the club and the community. Who knows - maybe the Pars could become a cult club with fans all over the place?

Apart from being reassured by the comments of all those who have met and interacted with the new investors, a key takehome from Ross's video interview yesterday for me was that for this new investment to work, it has to be in addition to (and not a replacement for) what we are already doing. In otherwords the new capital together with existing initiatives like the Centenary Club Lifeline will together allow us to do and achieve more. Our role as supportive fans will therefore continue to be critical for success. Thus to a certain degree it looks as if the Pars will have to remain very much a community orientated club.

I was pleased to see clarification in the video that PUCIC also has first chance to buy back the stadium as well as the club should the new investors (if they buy EEP and that is not a given) want to sell.

Exciting and interesting times to be a Pars fan.

Great post
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 18:18

I was a bit worried about all this at first, it was all a bit out of the blue. Having spent a bit time researching the people involved, I don't think we have much to worry about--they seem like we'll respected, reputable people. The video with Ross is also worth a look. From what I have seen of him he does seem to be a person of integrity, so I doubt he would have given the club over to anyone who might endanger where he has brought the club to.
St Pauli are an interesting club, for a second tier side, they have massive crowd and the marketing of the club has given them a worldwide fan base and brings in more money in merchandise sales than all but 4 other team in Germanys top tier.
I wonder if we could see The Pars marketed in a similar way. It would be good to see us positioned as the antithesis of the bigotry and hatred of the old firm
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 18:22

I haven't had the chance to sit down and really think about this, let alone post but can I just say what a great quality of debate it is. Some excellent posts.

Cautious optimism for me is the overriding feeling.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 19:12

Quote:

Thaipar, Thu 3 Sep 14:27

Unless I picked the interview up wrong Ross said that if at any time the investors want to sell the ground it has to be offered back to the current investors.
I really can't see any angle that's not been covered.

I didn't watch the whole video but I thought it was a case we already offered the stadium and they weren't particularly keen. It's now just an option for the future.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 19:20

Very well thought out and presented post RBFC - Thank you for sharing your interpretation of the current events.

RhinoPars - Ook Baie dankie vir waat jy het gese en ek hoop alles gaan goed daar in SA

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 19:55

RBFC....really appreciate that post.
My overriding feeling from the start was optimism with a hint if WTF?
However when I was a younger skateboard enthusiast a trendy top to have was a St Pauli hoody, hard to get in those days...
Anyhoo, had a gander at the club, fans etc and thought aye, I can get with that, they've been...or at least acted inclusive on a few topics before they were trendy.
So when the news broke I was quite calm, albeit admittedly rose tinted glasses calm, but relatively calm.
We may argue amongst ourselves on here but listen, when the chips were down but for a tiny few we were brothers and sisters, one cause.
Let's do our bit and meet the new guys straight up, let's show all of Scottish football we ARE a footballing community that can save a football club and we welcome everyone from the whole community, maybe we can get the gates up, let's make folks want our merchandise and bridies...

It's either that or the spray paints come out...dear god no😂

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 20:52

Good Rasta
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 21:11

I think we need to update our Pars playlist. Top tune but a bit of mixed trip through German history.

https://youtu.be/NeQM1c-XCDc

If that's too much maybe something by the Hof or Wind or Change?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Number Eleven  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 21:45

Having watched the interview I'm sure that the chairman believes this is the best way forward for the club. Personally I'd prefer to keep the fan ownership model even if it means the road back to the top is more difficult.

DA are the number one
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 21:58

Alles van die beste vir jou ook Dave.

As TRBFC says Socks is right to have concerns. I think we all do. The proof will ultimately be in the pudding and I think Rusty nicely summarises the general feeling as cautious optimism.

We all liked the community ownership model, but the reality is that that more of the same probably isn't going to cut it if we want to progress and get to the Premier League and become established there (on a sustainable basis). This is likely to require a bigger capital base than we currently have access to. As TRBFC notes and we have seen the community ownership financial model is fragile. Further big losses could potentially put the club at risk in the future. With more capital we will be better placed than many other clubs to weather these difficult times.

As TRBFC notes, the good thing is that the German investors are putting in new additional capital rather than buying out existing shareholders (which wouldn't benefit the club). I was also encouraged to read what TRBFC's Hamburg contacts thought about the new investors. We are clearly not dealing with Romanov or Anelka type characters.

Hopefully things do work out. I look forward to hearing from the new German investors in due course.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Sep 22:07

Ross also stated there was no new funding coming forward
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net