DAFC.net
Home 20 September 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Who said it?
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 9 Sep 19:04

"At my best, I was better than Neymar. Messi and Neymar need to win a World Cup to be better than me. As for Cristiano Ronaldo, he's just strength; he strikes the ball well, but I was more skillful."

Who is this somewhat deluded and immodest, former international?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Who said it?
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Wed 9 Sep 19:08

The big Danish guy? Forget his name.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Wed 9 Sep 19:15

Zlatan?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 9 Sep 19:28

Edilson and he put the cable through the hole first :)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 9 Sep 19:32

Probably that Tw*t Eto

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MESSIAH  
Date:   Wed 9 Sep 19:45

Freddy Adu
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 9 Sep 19:54

BPP already gave the answer :)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 9 Sep 21:28

Quote:

Buspasspar, Wed 9 Sep 19:28

Edilson and he put the cable through the hole first :)

BPP wins a coconut. ☺

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 9 Sep 21:54

My attempt to keep G.G.'s post going

"I never comment on referees and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 10 Sep 07:14

Guid wan, BPP. I'm fairly certain that was jewellery loving, Big Ron Atkinson.

Assuming I'm correct, here's another one from south of the border:-

''So let me explain our tactic: we are doing one injection of Covid-19, once a week. We draw the player/member of staff who gets it and like this week, we're sure we'll never play again and so avoid relegation.''

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 10 Sep 17:38

Cigar for G.G.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 12 Sep 06:25

Quote:

GG Riva, Thu 10 Sep 07:14

''So let me explain our tactic: we are doing one injection of Covid-19, once a week. We draw the player/member of staff who gets it and like this week, we're sure we'll never play again and so avoid relegation.''

Apologies if this one was too obscure for even the most knowledgeable dotnetters. It was Watford's Christian Kabasele sarcastically giving vent to his exasperation at the rumours flying around.

I'll try one more. Which national coach recently commented, "Playing without fans, is sadder than dancing with your sister."?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars_1986  
Date:   Sat 12 Sep 06:33

Quote:

GG Riva, Sat 12 Sep 06:25

Quote:

GG Riva, Thu 10 Sep 07:14

Apologies if this one was too obscure for even the most knowledgeable dotnetters. It was Watford's Christian Kabasele sarcastically giving vent to his exasperation at the rumours flying around.

I'll try one more. Which national coach recently commented, "Playing without fans, is sadder than dancing with your sister."?

I think your original one was Christian kabasele

Luis Enrique

Post Edited (Sat 12 Sep 06:36)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 12 Sep 07:36

Luis Enrique is correct, 1986. Well done.

Can't give you any credit for Kabasele, since I'd already given the answer above. ☺

Do you want to post another teaser?

Post Edited (Sat 12 Sep 07:44)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Thaipar  
Date:   Sat 12 Sep 12:23

Love these quotes.

Reporter: Welcome to Southampton Football Club. Do you think you are the right man to turn things around?
Strachan: No. I was asked if I thought I was the right man for the job and I said, "No, I think they should have got George Graham because I'm useless."

Reporter: Is that your best start to a season?
Strachan: Well I've still got a job so it's far better than the Coventry one, that's for sure.

Reporter: Are you getting where you want to be with this team?
Strachan: We're not doing bad. What do you expect us to be like? We were eighth in the league last year, in the cup final and we got into Europe. I don't know where you expect me to get to. Do you expect us to win the Champions League?

Reporter: Gordon, you must be delighted with that result?
Strachan: You're spot on! You can read me like a book.

Strachan: I've got more important things to think about. I've got a yogurt to finish by today, the expiry date is today. That can be my priority rather than Agustin Delgado.

Reporter: This might sound like a daft question, but you'll be happy to get your first win under your belt, won't you?
Strachan: You're right. It is a daft question. I'm not even going to bother answering that one. It is a daft question, you're spot on there.

Reporter: Bang, there goes your unbeaten run. Can you take it?
Strachan: No, I'm just going to crumble like a wreck. I'll go home, become an alcoholic and maybe jump off a bridge. Umm, I think I can take it, yeah.

Reporter: There's no negative vibes or negative feelings here?
Strachan: Apart from yourself, we're all quite positive round here. I'm going to whack you over the head with a big stick, down negative man, down.

Reporter: Where will Marion Pahars fit into the team line-up?
Strachan: Not telling you! It's a secret.

Reporter: You don't take losing lightly, do you Gordon?
Strachan: I don't take stupid comments lightly either.

Reporter: So, Gordon, in what areas do you think Middlesbrough were better than you today?
Strachan: What areas? Mainly that big green one out there...

Reporter: Gordon, Do you think James Beattie deserves to be in the England squad?
Strachan: I don't care, I'm Scottish.

Reporter: "Gordon, can we have a quick word please?"
Strachan: "Velocity" [walks off]

Reporter: Gordon, if you were English, what formation would you play?
Strachan: If I was English I'd kill myself! ...

On Chatshow with impressionist Alistair McGowan
Strachan: "If you can do Thierry Henry, I'll give you a game on Saturday."

"If a Frenchman goes on about seagulls, trawlers and sardines, he’s called a philosopher. I’d just be called a short Scottish bum talking crap."
Gordon Strachan in response to Cantona's famous "seagulls" quote following the 1995 Crystal Palace-Simmons incident.

"Its an incredible rise to stardom, at 17 you're more likely to get a call from Michael Jackson than Sven Goran Eriksson"
WGS on Wayne Rooney

"My bum has been through every temperature known to man."
Gordon Strachan (On heat treatment and ice-packs, 1993

Please don't book me Admin, it will ruin my life.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Sat 12 Sep 12:41

Who said:
"You can only kick with one foot at a time, otherwise you fall on your bottom "

(NB The website's swear-checker amended the final word ....)

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters' Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc

Post Edited (Sat 12 Sep 12:43)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars_1986  
Date:   Sat 12 Sep 13:22

Quote:

GG Riva, Sat 12 Sep 07:36

Luis Enrique is correct, 1986. Well done.

Can't give you any credit for Kabasele, since I'd already given the answer above. ☺

Do you want to post another teaser?

Ah never noticed lol. I will let you keep them coming I'm no good with that stuff just the answers. I will let you keep your spot as quiz master
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 12 Sep 15:23

Quote:

Stanza, Sat 12 Sep 12:41

Who said:
"You can only kick with one foot at a time, otherwise you fall on your bottom "

(NB The website's swear-checker amended the final word ....)

Taking an educated guess here, Stanza. John Lambie?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 12 Sep 17:47

flummoxed with that one Stanza Brian Clough ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 12 Sep 18:13

A clue might be that the quote is translated from a Central European language - made by one of the most famous players ever.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters' Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 12 Sep 20:30

Quote:

Stanza, Sat 12 Sep 18:13

A clue might be that the quote is translated from a Central European language - made by one of the most famous players ever.

That's a big clue. I'll go with the Galloping Major, Ferenc Puskas, who was all left foot.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 15:50

Johan Cruyff ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 13 Sep 18:21

Quote:

Buspasspar, Sun 13 Sep 15:50

Johan Cruyff ?

Oh Bus pass. The clue was CENTRAL European. I take it Geography wasn't your best subject at school? 😉

Eta. Where's Stanza when you need him?

Post Edited (Sun 13 Sep 18:22)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 14 Sep 01:14

Quote:

GG Riva, Sat 12 Sep 20:30

That's a big clue. I'll go with the Galloping Major, Ferenc Puskas, who was all left foot.

Indeed it was the Galloping Major. Not speaking fluent Hungarian I have no idea if it's an accurate translation, but it sounds plausible - Puskas was notoriously one-footed.

Post Edited (Mon 14 Sep 01:14)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 14 Sep 01:27

George Best told this story about Puskas - I'm struggling to believe it's 100% accurate, but having seen Puskas play (at Hampden in 1960) I really want to believe it:

“I was with (Bobby) Charlton, (Denis) Law and Puskas, we were coaching in a football academy in Australia. The youngsters we were coaching did not respect him, including making fun of his weight and age.
"We decided to let the guys challenge a coach to hit the crossbar 10 times in a row, obviously they picked the old fat one.
"Law asked the kids how many they thought the old fat coach would get out of 10. Most said less than five. I said 10.
"The old fat coach stepped up and hit nine in a row. For the tenth shot he scooped the ball in the air, bounced it off both shoulders and his head, then flicked it over with his heel and cannoned the ball off the crossbar on the volley.
"They all stood in silence then one kid asked who he was, I replied, 'To you, his name is Mr. Puskas.'”
GEORGE BEST

Post Edited (Mon 14 Sep 01:28)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 14 Sep 09:34

Quote:

Stanza, Mon 14 Sep 01:14

Quote:

GG Riva, Sat 12 Sep 20:30

Indeed it was the Galloping Major. Not speaking fluent Hungarian I have no idea if it's an accurate translation, but it sounds plausible - Puskas was notoriously one-footed.

☺ Happy with that. And I loved the George Best story. My favourite Puskas story concerns the epic England - Hungary international at Wembley, in 1953, when the visitors slapped the hosts 6-3 and it could have been even more. A Puskas goal, involved him dragging the ball back with his studs, as England captain, Billy Wright, rushed across to clean him out and he calmly rifled the ball into the roof of the net. The "Times" reported that the hapless Wright kept hurtling on "like a fire engine rushing to the wrong fire." Priceless. 😃

It must be my turn again. After grinding out a 1-0 win in a relegation battle, a top flight manager was quizzed about the lack of entertainment for the fans.

"If the fans want entertainment, they can go to the bleeding London Palladium" was the caustic reply. Who was the manager of this club, currently in the Premiership?

Post Edited (Mon 14 Sep 09:36)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 14 Sep 16:32

Hahaha yer right G.G. I was off the day we got Geography :)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 15 Sep 10:58

Too hard?

I'll take a leaf out of Stanza's book and provide a very good clue. The manager in question played for and managed one of the newly promoted Premiership clubs.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 15 Sep 11:58

I don't know who said that but wasn't a similar quote attributed to Bobby Williamson when he was manager of Hibs? I think he suggested fans should go to the cinema if they were looking for entertainment.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 15 Sep 14:10

Chris Wilder ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 15 Sep 15:08

Quote:

Buspasspar, Tue 15 Sep 14:10

Chris Wilder ?

Ahem! Sheffield United were promoted the season before last, my dear BPP, hence they're not "newly promoted." I'll supply another clue later if no one gets it soon.

Wee eck, you can't be talking about the same Bobby Williamson whose teams played up and at 'em, cavalier football?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 15 Sep 15:29

This article from the BBC Sport website after he left Hibs would suggest otherwise, GGR.

Few Hibees will mourn Williamson
By Colin Moffat

Williamson takes Argyle job
There won't be many tears shed in the Easter Road area following the departure of Bobby Williamson.

The 42-year-old Glaswegian has accepted the manager's post at Plymouth Argyle after 25 months at the Hibernian helm.

Although Williamson was successful at Kilmarnock, where he won the Scottish Cup in his first season and took a provincial side into the Uefa Cup on three occasions, his time at Hibs has been undistinguished.

In his two full seasons, Hibs failed to make the top six in one of the weakest leagues in Europe.

And his cantankerous style not only made life hell for post-match interviewers - it did little to endear him to supporters.

Hibs fans are perhaps worse than most when it comes to getting on the backs of their team.

A glittering hall of fame and a tradition of free-flowing attacking football has made their followers quick to criticise when things are not going well.

Williamson did not respond well to the barracking of the crowd and at times let his temper get the better of him in public - getting caught up in heated exchanges with spectators.

He will argue that he shared the fans' frustration and it was his passion to succeed that saw him lose his temper.

Much has been made of Williamson's Rangers background as a player and his decision to remain housed on the west coast.

But Alex Miller had a far longer conection with the Ibrox club and was manager at Easter Road for more than 10 years.

Miller was also a dour character but he put out teams that won more games than they lost.

Put simply, Hibs fans never warmed to Williamson and his prickly nature made sure there was never a thaw in relations.

Good results would have done the job. They never materialised.

With Hibs struggling financially, Williamson was immediately forced to drastically prune his playing squad.

Hibs lost out in the CIS Insurance Cup final
Big-earners like David Zitelli, Francisco Luna and John O'Neil were off-loaded, while Nick Colgan and Paul Fenwick were frozen out in a failed bid to move them on.

Approximately £3m was raised from the sales of Ulrik Laursen and Ulises de la Cruz but Williamson saw little of it.

But the few signings he did make last summer failed to make much impact.

Colin Murdock and Roland Edge have been shaky in defence, Stephen Glass' injury woes continue to dog him, while Stephen Dobbie and Morten Hyldegard spent long spells on the bench, before the Danish keeper eventually moved to Luton.

Hibs' small squad was stretched to its limits by long-term injuries to Ian Murray, Grant Brebner, Glass and Yannick Zambernardi.

And Williamson's relationship with the Easter Road directors was put to the test when he was forced to renegotiate the lucrative five-year deal he signed in favour of a reduced salary and a one-year rolling contract.

Times are hard but it was a public loss of face for the manager.

The same board appeared only too willing to allow Williamson to hold talks with Plymouth.

A youthful Hibs team upset the odds by dumping both Celtic and Rangers out the of the CIS Insurance Cup but 37,000 fans were left disappointed at Hampden when Livingston lifted the trophy.

The huge number of supporters that made the journey to Glasgow suggests that Hibs still have the pulling power to be a big player in Scottish football.

But the truth is Hibs have not been challenging regularly for silverware since the early to mid 1970s when Eddie Turnbull's wonderful team locked horns with Jock Stein's Celtic, albeit finishing second more often than not.

Hibs supporters have every right to demand better than what they've seen in recent times and they would gladly see a monster (or even an ex-Jambo?) in charge if things are going well on the pitch.

But the next Hibs boss may need a thick skin to contend with a support perhaps guilty of unrealistic expectations.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 15 Sep 17:02

I was taking the proverbial pith, eck. Williamson would have made Private Frazer, of Dad's Army fame, pass for a happy clapper. (Oops, my auto correct wanted to use Cockney Rhyming Slang for clapper there and I was quite tempted to leave it up, but I'd have had Dave and Tiddlywink rushing to give me a straight yellow.) 😃

Nobody looking to guess the English manager then? A full England international, he narrowly missed out on the treble of European Cup, First Division and FA Cup as a player, with the same team he managed. Surely somebody's going to guess him now?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 16 Sep 14:21

This has to be the biggest disappointment of my Dotnet career.... ☹

I asked you to name a former player and manager of a club, newly promoted to the EPL at the end of the season, which narrows it down to 3 clubs.

I also told you that, as a player, he narrowly missed out on the treble of European Cup, League Championship and FA Cup.

I'll add one more clue. He was one of FIVE brothers who all played professional football.

Surely to God.......

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 16 Sep 16:47

Could be doing with a couple more clue's G.G. Is it Scott Parker ?

Post Edited (Wed 16 Sep 17:09)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 16 Sep 17:09

Quote:

Buspasspar, Wed 16 Sep 16:47

Scott Parker

Aw fur fex ake, BPP! 😦 Go back and read all the clues again.

Does Scott Parker have 4 brothers who have all played pro football?
Did he narrowly miss winning the English First Division, FA Cup and European Champions Cup in the same season?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 16 Sep 17:12

Tears rolling down ma cheeks here G.G.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 16 Sep 17:15

I think Slaven Bilic is about the only wan left
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 16 Sep 17:18

Allan Clarke?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 16 Sep 18:29

A second vote for Allan Clarke.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 16 Sep 19:08

Quote:

parathletic, Wed 16 Sep 17:18

Allan Clarke?

Allan "Sniffer" Clarke it was, parathletic.

Maybe I should have been a dentist? That was definitely harder than drawing teeth. ☺ D'you fancy setting a question now?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Wed 16 Sep 20:19

Oi! Stop picking on ma pal BPP, GG - he's probably greeting intae his pipe and slippers.

Wee Eck, stop googling the answers!

Apologies for banjo-ing yer thread but could the above named posters please drop me an email on buffy2daisyj@gmail.com pretty please.

Carry on with the quiz Sir.

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 17 Sep 08:18

Quote:

buffy, Wed 16 Sep 20:19

Oi! Stop picking on ma pal BPP, GG - he's probably greeting intae his pipe and slippers.

Wee Eck, stop googling the answers!

Apologies for banjo-ing yer thread but could the above named posters please drop me an email on buffy2daisyj@gmail.com pretty please.

Carry on with the quiz Sir.

BPP, deserves every pelter he got, Buffy. Did you read some of his random guesses?

Johan Cruyff, Slaven Bilic, Chris Wilder, Scott Parker and his 4 brothers?

Jings, crivvens and help ma boab !!!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 17 Sep 08:26

Who's turn is it ? ......I'm just getting the hang of this game :)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Thu 17 Sep 20:10

😂
I’ve no heard of any o them ....

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net