DAFC.net
Home 03 March 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Tavernier
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Sun 4 Oct 17:51

Pile on him for top scorer this season - the number of pens for Sevco this season will do it alone.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Tavernier
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 4 Oct 17:56

I’ve never known a team that gets as many penalties

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Sun 04 Oct 17:56)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Sun 4 Oct 18:12

As a very paranoid witty Celtic friend of mines said when he heard a while ago that Rangers had drawn 0-0 ... “who missed the penalty?”

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sun 4 Oct 18:19

For those of you that are younger, the original Rangers also got late penalties.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 4 Oct 19:09

Not to be a pedant, but I think Aberdeen have had the most penalties so far this season. Last season it was Hamilton who got the most.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 4 Oct 19:32

I suppose they don't need to be awarded one if they're already winning...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 4 Oct 19:51

Quote:

rossmcno1, Sun 4 Oct 18:12

As a very paranoid witty Celtic friend of mines said when he heard a while ago that Rangers had drawn 0-0 ... “who missed the penalty?”

According to the BBC - I know, I know - the penalty was awarded when Morelos was "hauled down." I look forward to seeing it. The two pens they were awarded v Motherwell last week were absolutely laughable. Meanwhile, Motherwell had a great shout for one waved away....

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 13:47

Tends to be teams who attack get more penalties as a rule.
Real Madrid got most in Spain, Bayern in Germany, Man Utd got 14 last season followed by city. Lazio, and Juventus in Italy.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 14:10

Quote:

dafc, Mon 5 Oct 13:47

Tends to be teams who attack get more penalties as a rule.
Real Madrid got most in Spain, Bayern in Germany, Man Utd got 14 last season followed by city. Lazio, and Juventus in Italy.

Yes, that's most probably true, dafc, but it can't be the main factor. Surely it must be down to the number of times attacking players are fouled in the box, handball by defenders, etc. Of course, teams who get into their opponents box will have more opportunities to fall over the odd long blade of grass and con the ref into awarding a penalty. Another important factor (although obviously not this season) is the influence exerted by the crowd. 50,000 fans screaming for a penalty, may convince a ref that it really is a penalty, even if he's not 100% certain.

Events like last week's Motherwell v Rangers match leave me and plenty of other fans, totally perplexed. The 2 pens Rangers got were just nonsensical - you can't just blame the daft handball rule - while denying Motherwell a stonewaller, leaves a bad taste in the mouth and imo, casts doubt on the integrity of the match officials. Going by your logic, Celtic should get approx the same no. of pens as Rangers, come the end of the season, since they attack just as much as their rivals.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 15:07

Rangers , Celtic and Aberdeen are always going to get most Penalties as they spend more time I the opposition box, the way hibs have started they will get a few too

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 15:21

All down to the technical content of the dive.

Harry Kane and Jamie Vardy have that down to a T

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 18:06

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Mon 5 Oct 15:07

Rangers , Celtic and Aberdeen are always going to get most Penalties as they spend more time I the opposition box, the way hibs have started they will get a few too

Why should the amount of time spent in the opposition's box be a direct correlation to the number of penalties awarded to the attacking team? I agree there's a certain logic to it, but the only stat that should matter is the number of fouls committed in the area by the defending side.

It's not fantasy to say that a team could be awarded two pens in a game from two incursions into their opponent's box, just like it sometimes happens that a team scores two goals from their only shots on target in the 90 mins.

Eta. I'm convinced that the two Glasgow clubs get a number of soft or even phantom pens throughout the season, which would not be awarded to any other Scottish club.

Post Edited (Mon 05 Oct 18:09)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 19:13

Like the one we got at Tynecastle against Airdrie in 91 GG. 🙂

What I Meant was if you are in the opposition box 40 times in a match , you are more likely to get more Penalties than if you are only in their box 5 times

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 19:26

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Mon 5 Oct 19:13

Like the one we got at Tynecastle against Airdrie in 91 GG. 🙂

Yeah, that was a shocker, the ref was so far away he could/should never have given it, unless his linesman was convinced it was handball and in the box.

What I Meant was if you are in the opposition box 40 times in a match , you are more likely to get more Penalties than if you are only in their box 5 times

I know what you meant - it's called probability, but pens can't be awarded on probability. It's quite possible for a team to attack a lot and not win a spot kick. The trouble is that, as Raymie says above, there are some expert simulators around. Therangers don't even need one. All the need is Bobby Madden every week. 😉

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Oct 10:23

👍👍👍

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net