DAFC.net
Home 08 March 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Worst ever refereeing display..
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 18:33

What’s the worst refereeing display you can remember? I’m not talking one off poor decisions - they can happen - I’m talking consistently and systemically bad.

Here’s my starter for 10 - I know it’s a selective edit, but Riley’s officiating here is comically awful. The Ferdinand ‘red’, Gary Neville’s hacks, Rooneys dive - van Nistelrooys stud rake.

Off the top of my head I can’t recall much worse than that...can you https://youtu.be/mM747L9Wf8M

Post Edited (Mon 05 Oct 18:34)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Worst ever refereeing display..
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 18:43

Two words, Louis Thow

Close thread

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars11  
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 19:01

Crawford Allan swear words were invented for him.

Bluebell Polka
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 19:07

Louis thow,nae contest.Was at that game,and have never seen a crowd so angry,pars director,had to come down and try to calm us down! Somebody took a kick at him at the end,not saying that's right,but the anger was incredible.There were only two polis on duty, and they were freaking out.They totally underestimated the size of the pars, support that day,they had to send for reinforcements!😃

Post Edited (Mon 05 Oct 20:28)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 19:15

3rd for Louis Thow

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: evo!  
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 19:26

Bloke who didnt see Hippo.s dive!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 19:28

Quote:

twin par, Mon 5 Oct 19:07

Louis thow,nae contest.Was at that game,and have never seen a crowd so angry,pars director,had to come down and try to calm us down! Somebody took a kick at him at the end,not saying that's right,but the anger was incredible.

I still laugh at the old man with a walking stick who was next to me trying to hit him with it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 19:40

Louise Thow without any question.
It was an appalling display that night.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 19:47

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Mon 5 Oct 19:40

Louise Thow without any question.
It was an appalling display that night.

I've heard it said that a certain Europe based poster on here, ran on to the park and lamped him
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 19:48

I’m going to need some education on Louis Thow..

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par4life  
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 19:48

Brian Winter for a midweek game against Inverness around 2006

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 20:38

worst one i remember louis thow at stenhousemuir when he gave pars throw in to stenny then they scored nearly a riot at game guy was a idiot lost 0-1

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 20:40

Another vote for Louis Thow. I confess I was on the pitch that night amongst hundreds of Pars fans and I thought the guy was going to get lynched.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 21:30

Stephen

Finnie

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ben,D.A  
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 21:42

Tiny Warton in a blazer and shorts....

only 11 make the team,the rest can just but dream.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ballingrypar  
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 22:06

Defo thow never seen anything like that night
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 22:55

It was actually a Saturday afternoon game,don't mean to be picky!😃
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 22:56

Tiny Wharton was a fine referee.

Funny how things stick in your mind - Louis Thow was from Ayr and his cousin was a top referee - but his name escapes me at the moment !!! Possibly Willie Young ?

Louis was the main man in the controversial incident at Pittodrie, Aberdeen v Rangers when Neil Simpson blootered Ian Durrant but stayed on the park.

He also engineered an entry in the record books for Billy Abercromby of St.Mirren - 3 red cards shown.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 23:22

For us young people, can you auld bar stewards elaborate on what happened with this Thow character?

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 23:33

My former team mate and close friend George Clyde, who was a Rangers supporter infamously chalked off a Pierre van Hoijdonk goal at Motherwell and thereby handed the league title to Rangers. He was also in trouble for ruling the icy pitch at Stirling Albion playable and it was abandoned after a few minutes when a player broke his leg. If anybody else knows him don.t let on that I wrote this.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ben,D.A  
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 23:37

eeeh, I was more on Wartons appearance than his abilities,
He towered above every player on the park and carried more weight than the dugout added together, he looked like a overgrown public school boy.

Post Edited (Mon 05 Oct 23:40)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: oakley_pars  
Date:   Tue 6 Oct 00:03

Apparently I was on my dads shoulders and on the pitch at Stenhousmuir that day. I’m led to believe he ‘jokingly’ told me to hit that man, which I duly obliged to do.

I have no recollection of this. Honest!

it only takes one tree to make a thousand matches, it only takes one match to burn a thousand trees
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allanwilson10  
Date:   Tue 6 Oct 06:20

I can remember a ref from the late 80s - Bob Valentine or something like that. Every time the Pars him my dad used to go mad!

In recent times - Stephen Finnie gets my vote too.

Allan Wilson
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Tue 6 Oct 09:22

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Oct 09:23

Post Edited (Tue 06 Oct 09:24)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Tue 6 Oct 15:47

Louis B Thow. I remember the Stenny game so well, he should never have been given another game. However for those amongst us who were at the Threave rovers game where he also refereed. I just remember getting down there and looking at the pitch and thinking this is off. However after hearing a rendition of the song "your going to get your f*n*** head kicked in" Mr Thow then let the game go on. Luckily nobody got hurt and we won 5-0.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Tue 6 Oct 16:00

Quote:

eastendalloapar, Tue 6 Oct 15:47

Louis B Thow. I remember the Stenny game so well, he should never have been given another game. However for those amongst us who were at the Threave rovers game where he also refereed. I just remember getting down there and looking at the pitch and thinking this is off. However after hearing a rendition of the song "your going to get your f*n*** head kicked in" Mr Thow then let the game go on. Luckily nobody got hurt and we won 5-0.

Thecpitch was like concrete but was a great day there ,My bus tgatcI was running with Kirky was told to leave early by police so we had to run to the ground and got on the players bus back to the toon great days
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Oct 16:21

Threave Rovers in the cup was when one of the Pars defenders missed the team coach and had to get a taxi down to the game.

Can.t mind who it was - but the fare was a hefty sum (£70 ?) and I heard stories saying the club were reluctant to pick up the tab.

No idea how that was resolved.

Anybody remember how it turned out ?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alan  
Date:   Tue 6 Oct 16:42

That was Bobby Forrest who had to get the taxi, but don.t know if the club ended up picking up the tab.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Oct 18:11

Thow ,gave every decision against us.Big jim got a dressing down off him for protesting.That was it,a bloomin riot nearly kicked off.It was unbelievable ,guy next to me , in his 70s,nearly had a fit,he was so angry!😅
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Tue 6 Oct 20:11

Has to be David Syme. Skol cup semi versus Airdrie.

Gave a penalty from 80 yards away when the incident was clearly outside the box, not even sure it was a foul.

We benefited but it was the worst decision I have ever witnessed.

🔩 ya 🚀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Tue 6 Oct 20:33

Willie Young was my favourite referee but he still gave 2 of the worst decisions I’ve seen against us - Celtic penalty for Paul Lambert’s dive outside the box and Stevie Crawford getting a red at Dens Park when Julian Speroni feigned being punched in the face by him.

Andy J
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Tue 6 Oct 20:33

Angus, Thats cos it was 'handball' 😉

Post Edited (Tue 06 Oct 20:33)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Tue 6 Oct 20:40

If I remember the Stenny game I think the linesman jumped over the wall and off to his car at full time instead of chancing going through the Pars fans who had invaded the pitch to get at Louis to congratulate him on his performance

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Oct 20:54

The Davie Syme decision was correct - Sandison handled and he was standing on the penalty area line.

As for 80 yards away - Rhodes was taking a free kick from his half, so Syme was positioned well up with play.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Oct 21:10

Quote:

veteraneastender, Tue 6 Oct 20:54

The Davie Syme decision was correct - Sandison handled and he was standing on the penalty area line.

As for 80 yards away - Rhodes was taking a free kick from his half, so Syme was positioned well up with play.

I hope your tongue is firmly in your cheek VEE, either that or your eyesight was very black and white tinted 😄

Definitely outside the box and it was chested down, people who weren't at the game comment on the huge question mark that rose from Tynecastle Stadium as the Pars fans shouted......

'Penalty?'
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Tue 6 Oct 21:28

I remember the Louis Thow incident. there was 1 PC Murdoch type polisman, who grabbed the smallest unsuspecting Pars fan and marched him off, I don.t thing the young lad did anything while others were landing blows.

The backup arrived just as the Pars buses were leaving the car park.

If that happened today we would be banned out the league

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parplod  
Date:   Tue 6 Oct 21:46

Louis Thow at Stenhousemuir. Many years later I was Match Commander at a game that he was refereeing. After the pre-match briefing he asked if I didn’t have anything better to do than spend 90 minutes at a football match and I told him I’d rather be watching my own team. He asked who I supported and when I replied Dunfermline he smiled, Dunfermline! I remember a game at Stenhousemuir years ago..... I stopped him and simply said Mr Thow I was there that day and you deserved everything you got.
He was a super guy and we had a good laugh. My deputy had told him that she should have been at a wedding and was heading to the reception after the game. At the final whistle he chased the players into the dressing rooms shouting that the polis had a wedding to go to.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Tue 6 Oct 22:12

funniest one ever les mottram partick v dundee utd paddy connolly rocket into top corner hits back of net then back out wee les never seen it played on but incredibly partick defender picked ball up in penalty area handed it to goalie must be penalty nope les played on wee jim mcclean want to stick flag up his backside just as well later on utd won 4-1 lol

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Oct 22:40

"I hope your tongue is firmly in your cheek VEE, either that or your eyesight was very black and white tinted 😄"

Only one flaw in that mindset - I had a perfect close position with line of sight along the 18 yard line.

Absolutely no doubt that David Syme called it correctly.

If you watch the footage, Scott Leitch.s immediate reaction was a penalty claim.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Oct 09:16

Quote:

Par, Tue 06 Oct 21:28

I remember the Louis Thow incident. there was 1 PC Murdoch type polisman, who grabbed the smallest unsuspecting Pars fan and marched him off, I don.t thing the young lad did anything while others were landing blows.

22 September 1984

The untold story...

Much has been speculated, and bits of the story have been spoken, parts have been embellished, but never until now has the full story been documented:

Twas the day after my brother’s 13th birthday, and I was taking him to Stenny for the match as his birthday ‘treat’...
X26 bus to Glasgow from Kirkcaldy via Dunfermline went right past Ochilview.
Got to the ground at about 1.30 - spoke with a few players who had just arrived, Trevor Smith, Stevie Morrison and Ziggy Bowie’s autographs were obtained on the programme...
Sun was shining, pie was hot, tea was better than lukewarm.

Pars had started the season with 6 straight wins, scoring 16 goals
What a great day it promised to be...

Cue the match.

Horrendous refereeing performance, many many incorrect decisions, disallowing of a John Watson goal, sending off Lieshman for protesting, and awarding and extremely dubious Sandy McNaughton goal...

‘Furious’ doesn’t even come close to describing the emotions of the Pars fans that day - the performance of the referee was outrageous!
At full time, the place erupted, hundreds of Pars fans were on the pitch, all making a beeline for the ref.

There were at least two policemen that day, but I seem to recall three.

Two of them did indeed grab and drag off one skinny 15 year old Pars fan, but he wasn’t really “unsuspecting” - he might allegedly have landed a boot and a right hook on the illustrious man in black - before being the excuse the two polis needed to immediately vacate the area, leaving the single remaining plod and referee isolated...

Trevor Smith and Jim Bowie recognises the boy, and attempted to rescue the young Par from the clutches of the police, who had escaped the melee with their single arrest - but was not to be.

In the incident room, the larger policeman called the young Par a ****ing little coward, and demanded to know if the miscreant would be willing to face the referee one-on-one match-up?
One can only guess that they were not expecting a big smile and an answer of “absolutely! yes please!”

Unfortunately such a ‘meeting’ never transpired, or the story might have had a more satisfactory ending.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 7 Oct 09:25

Quote:

Luxembourg Par, Wed 7 Oct 09:16

Quote:

Par, Tue 06 Oct 21:28

22 September 1984

The untold story...

Much has been speculated, and bits of the story have been spoken, parts have been embellished, but never until now has the full story been documented:

Twas the day after my brother’s 13th birthday, and I was taking him to Stenny for the match as his birthday ‘treat’...
X26 bus to Glasgow from Kirkcaldy via Dunfermline went right past Ochilview.
Got to the ground at about 1.30 - spoke with a few players who had just arrived, Trevor Smith, Stevie Morrison and Ziggy Bowie’s autographs were obtained on the programme...
Sun was shining, pie was hot, tea was better than lukewarm.

Pars had started the season with 6 straight wins, scoring 16 goals
What a great day it promised to be...

Cue the match.

Horrendous refereeing performance, many many incorrect decisions, disallowing of a John Watson goal, sending off Lieshman for protesting, and awarding and extremely dubious Sandy McNaughton goal...

‘Furious’ doesn’t even come close to describing the emotions of the Pars fans that day - the performance of the referee was outrageous!
At full time, the place erupted, hundreds of Pars fans were on the pitch, all making a beeline for the ref.

There were at least two policemen that day, but I seem to recall three.

Two of them did indeed grab and drag off one skinny 15 year old Pars fan, but he wasn’t really “unsuspecting” - he might allegedly have landed a boot and a right hook on the illustrious man in black - before being the excuse the two polis needed to immediately vacate the area, leaving the single remaining plod and referee isolated...

Trevor Smith and Jim Bowie recognises the boy, and attempted to rescue the young Par from the clutches of the police, who had escaped the melee with their single arrest - but was not to be.

In the incident room, the larger policeman called the young Par a ****ing little coward, and demanded to know if the miscreant would be willing to face the referee one-on-one match-up?
One can only guess that they were not expecting a big smile and an answer of “absolutely! yes please!”

Unfortunately such a ‘meeting’ never transpired, or the story might have had a more satisfactory ending.

That's why you used to have a row all to yersel on the supporters bus ya big radge 😁😁🙈🙈😁😁

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Oct 11:49

I think you.ll find that it was my brothers flatulence that attained the free seats :D

Yes, he of "Thirsty Kirsty.s" infamy...

Post Edited (Wed 07 Oct 11:51)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Wed 7 Oct 12:03

"Definitely outside the box and it was chested down, people who weren.t at the game comment on the huge question mark that rose from Tynecastle Stadium as the Pars fans shouted......

.Penalty?."

AlwaysaPar - The TV cameras might have made it look like that, but I was just behind the goal and I clearly recall Sandison blocking the ball with his left hand, flipping it to his right one and spinning it on his index finger like one of the Harlem Globetrotters, then slamming it into the ground and screaming "Touchdown!". It was about 2 yards to the right of the penalty spot if my memory serves me correctly, so definitely in the box.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 7 Oct 12:09

Quote:

Luxembourg Par, Wed 7 Oct 11:49

I think you.ll find that it was my brothers flatulence that attained the free seats :D

Yes, he of "Thirsty Kirsty.s" infamy...

The forerunner for social distancing. Doubtful that 2m was enough......

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ronaldo  
Date:   Wed 7 Oct 12:39

"Definitely outside the box and it was chested down ... the huge question mark that rose from Tynecastle as the Pars fans shouted."

I always feel we got our comeuppance on that one - the final was diabolical.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Wed 7 Oct 12:56

Admittedly I wasn't at the game, but the still from the video looked like a penalty, and it was absolutely, 100% in the box.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Oct 20:28

Quote:

aaaaaaaaaargh, Wed 7 Oct 12:03

"Definitely outside the box and it was chested down, people who weren.t at the game comment on the huge question mark that rose from Tynecastle Stadium as the Pars fans shouted......

.Penalty?."

AlwaysaPar - The TV cameras might have made it look like that, but I was just behind the goal and I clearly recall Sandison blocking the ball with his left hand, flipping it to his right one and spinning it on his index finger like one of the Harlem Globetrotters, then slamming it into the ground and screaming "Touchdown!". It was about 2 yards to the right of the penalty spot if my memory serves me correctly, so definitely in the box.

🤣🤣🤣
Maybe its my memory thats a bit hazy......
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Oct 20:34

People will be telling me next that Winker NEVER told Andy Rhodes what side he was putting his penalty.............😉
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Oct 21:12

Its was norrie who told him,which way he would take it.He said to Rhodes, he will hit it straight down the middle. The rest is history.

Post Edited (Wed 07 Oct 21:17)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Wed 7 Oct 21:13

Quote:

twin par, Wed 7 Oct 21:12

Its was norrie who told him,which way he would take it.

And who told Norrie 🤔😉

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Oct 21:18

Obviously, he had seen him in training.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net