DAFC.net
Home 26 February 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Eye-watering transfer prices
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 22:48

Did you know that Falkirk once held the British transfer record for a player? Yes, it.s true. Back in 1922, they paid West Ham £5,000 for wonderfully named Syd Puddlefoot. In today.s terms, that.s about £286,000.

Forty years later, Denis Law was sold to Torino for a record £100,000, which today would convert to about £1.8 million. In 1977, Kevin Keegan broke the record with his £500,000 move to Hamburg. In today.s terms, that.s £2.8 million.

While we look at the eye-watering prices for players today, it.s hard to not ask the question, "Is he really worth that?"

I have the feeling that one day, perhaps not too far off, this whole Jenga construction is going to collapse. TV money has completely transformed the game, but the signs are all over the place that the TV sports model is no longer the money pit that it was.

The day is coming when the TV companies are going to say to the big football clubs, "Guys, sorry but the party.s over."

Something has got to give, sooner or later...

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Eye-watering transfer prices
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Mon 5 Oct 23:08

Quote:

OzPar, Mon 5 Oct 22:48

Did you know that Falkirk once held the British transfer record for a player? Yes, it.s true. Back in 1922, they paid West Ham £5,000 for wonderfully named Syd Puddlefoot. In today.s terms, that.s about £286,000.

Forty years later, Denis Law was sold to Torino for a record £100,000, which today would convert to about £1.8 million. In 1977, Kevin Keegan broke the record with his £500,000 move to Hamburg. In today.s terms, that.s £2.8 million.

While we look at the eye-watering prices for players today, it.s hard to not ask the question, "Is he really worth that?"

I have the feeling that one day, perhaps not too far off, this whole Jenga construction is going to collapse. TV money has completely transformed the game, but the signs are all over the place that the TV sports model is no longer the money pit that it was.

The day is coming when the TV companies are going to say to the big football clubs, "Guys, sorry but the party.s over."

Something has got to give, sooner or later...

Sooner hopefully
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Tue 6 Oct 10:20

I was watching SSN last night and Harry and Jamie Redknapp were in the studio. It was mentioned that Ruben Loftus-Cheek.s proposed loan move from Chelsea to Fulham was in doubt as there was an issue with wages. It surfaced that he was on approx. £150K a week. Harry couldn.t believe anyone could be on that sort of money, especially someone who.s only played a handful of times for Chelsea. Just shows how much it.s changed even in the short space of time that he.s not been managing. I.m not saying people didn.t earn that sort of money 10 years ago, but it would have been the better, more experienced players.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Tue 6 Oct 11:50

Quote from Gary Lineker twitter
I know one deal was largely scuppered by the £30m demands from an agent for himself. This needs addressing: no agent should be able to act/ receive money from any party other than his player. It’s so open to corruption as it is.
Seem it's not just players with nose in the trough .

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Tue 6 Oct 15:05

Wonder if that deal is the Sancho one, Dortmund > Man Utd. £30M agent fee is ridiculous.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 6 Oct 16:18

Considering the poor quality of some of the goals conceded in the English Premiership the transfer prices are laughable but if the seller knows the buyers have money to burn the price goes up.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net