DAFC.net
Home 30 November 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 FIFA Euro League
Topic Originator: Superpars68  
Date:   Tue 20 Oct 17:09

The Liverpool/Man U .offer. to EFL is a lot clearer now with this afternoon.s news of a Euro League.

Charlatans

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: FIFA Euro League
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 20 Oct 17:23

Its no surprise. GG and I were discussing how we thought this would happen on the the EPL proposal thread. The only thing I hadn't realised was how close they were to releasing details to the public.

Folk moaning about oil money and its the Americans ruining the game.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 20 Oct 17:24

Quote G.G. :-

In 2013, I predicted we.d have a European Super League, with 20 or so big, rich clubs, within 10 years. There was a lot of scepticism on here. My prediction was based on the fact that these same clubs had banded together to form a European Club Association. Admission was by invitation only and their raison d.etre was to put pressure on UEFA to further their own ends. UEFA managed to head off the European Super League by introducing more games in the CL and seeding designed to favour the big Western European clubs. Recently, UEFA have ceded even more ground, by giving special status to past winners, like the two Milanese clubs, who struggle to qualify these days.

Talks have taken place over the creation of a new £4.6bn European Premier League, involving the top sides from across the continent.

Sources told the BBC that discussions are still at an early stage but the plan would involve replacing the Champions League with a new format.

Industry insiders confirmed talks involved Wall Street bank JP Morgan.

But the project is said to still have a "long way to go" and the deal "may not happen".

Reports suggest five Premier League clubs, including champions Liverpool and Manchester United, have been approached by those behind the plan with more than a dozen teams from England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain in negotiations about becoming founder members of the competition.

It has also been reported that the European Premier League would see 18 sides compete in a single league with the top sides taking part in a play-off to determine an overall winner and that world governing body Fifa is involved.

Cap well and truly doffed G.G.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Tue 20 Oct 18:14

The greed at the top levels of the game is disgusting.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 20 Oct 18:55

Quote:

JTH123, Tue 20 Oct 18:14

The greed at the top levels of the game is disgusting.

I couldn't agree more, JTH.

No caps needing doffed, Bus pass. I've been following football from around the globe since the mid 60s and even then, there was talk of a European Super League. In 1987, Maradona's Napoli were drawn against Real Madrid in the first round of the Champions Cup. Real went through 0-1, 2-0. There was a lot of anger and frustration that such a good team went out in the first round while comparative minnows went through. The following season seeding was introduced to ensure no teams from major countries could meet in the early rounds.

Still that wasn't enough for the major clubs who wanted more games. They formed the European Club Association and started to draw up plans for a breakaway Super League. UEFA headed them off with the CL replacing the Champions Cup. This expanded competition sounded the death knell for Europe's 2nd club tournament, the ECWC. We even had a spell when the CL had two group stages - a far cry from the exciting, all in, straight knockout Champions Cup it replaced. Even worse, the secondary UEFA Cup was devalued even further when teams finishing 3rd in the 4 team CL groups were admitted in the knockout stages.

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, we get this proposal. A closed shop, with no promotion or relegation is what these clubs are after, so they can make loadsa money to pay evermore obscene sums of money to elite players and their agents.

The report suggests 5 EPL clubs have been invited. I wonder which of the so-called Big Six has been given the bum's rush? 🙂

I'm thinking the thread title doesn't make sense as an official European League would come under the auspices of UEFA. FIFA is responsible for the world game and runs international competitions like the World Cup.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Superpars68  
Date:   Tue 20 Oct 19:01

The FIFA comes from the Breaking News feed on Sky Sports News this afternoon GG. Checking media headlines there all calling it the Fifa League

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 20 Oct 19:09

I think if it comes together and works the next step would be a world tournament that expands on the world club championships to cover the globe and tap into even more TV revenue.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 20 Oct 19:10

"The report suggests 5 EPL clubs have been invited. I wonder which of the so-called Big Six has been given the bum's rush? "

Hopefully its City. They don't want us and I dont want them. Wouldn't be going anywhere near this.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 20 Oct 19:34

Are there any billionaires in Scotland who could bribe FIFA to take the Old Firm too?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jock-par  
Date:   Tue 20 Oct 19:52

Couldn’t care less tbh. Not going to change anything for Dunfermline or Scottish football.

We are Dunfermline, we're on our way back!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 20 Oct 21:04

Quote:

jock-par, Tue 20 Oct 19:52

Couldn’t care less tbh. Not going to change anything for Dunfermline or Scottish football.

It may benefit Scottish football if the "big" teams in England disappear to a Euro league. Presumably the TV money will reduce for the EPL and there'll be potential for more interest and investment in Scottish football.

I'll be honest, I'd have no interest in the Pars playing Real Madrid or whoever. Fine as part of a cup but it's bad enough having the occasional trip to Dingwall! Imagine a jaunt to Europe every other week.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Tue 20 Oct 21:15

Another Step towards the American franchising model. I wonder if the teams left behind in National Leagues could become equivalents of the US College system, with players for low wages (amateurs even!) looking to get drafted into the big time.

That might not actually be so bad. College Football is brilliant, and in my opinion a better watch than the NFL.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 20 Oct 21:15

Quote:

Superpars68, Tue 20 Oct 19:01

The FIFA comes from the Breaking News feed on Sky Sports News this afternoon GG. Checking media headlines there all calling it the Fifa League

Oh, I hadn't realised that. If FIFA do back this proposal and UEFA oppose it, it may delay it's starting date, as there will be numerous legal challenges, but money will talk in the end and £4.6 billion is a helluva lot of money to be kicking off this wee project.

I noticed that there may be 11 "founder clubs" and the rest will be "guest clubs." The founder clubs cannot be relegated for 20 years. Wow!

Let me try and guess who these founder clubs might be:-

Real, Barca, Bayern, PSG, Juve, Milan, Inter, Liverpool, Man U and any 2 from Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs, although there is an outside chance of a more equitable distribution so BVB and Atletico could be invited ahead of two English clubs.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Tue 20 Oct 21:57

This is just heading the way of Formula One - pure and simple greed overriding any other consideration. It’s disgusting ..... and not what the “beautiful game” is about in any shape or form. Totally agree with you, GG, that this has been coming for an awfully long time. And it’s all very well saying that it doesn’t affect us. but really it does absolutely. The big money will follow the product and we’ll be left picking up the scraps. And what is most concerning IMHO is what this is going to do to do football at grassroots level and to the basic structure of the game. As to “who” will be invited to be part of this circus, I think you’re better off looking at the owners than the history - so, cue the oligarchs, sheiks, avaricious Americans, etc.
What else can you say or do? Enjoy it while you can .......... The game as we currently know it may not last much longer.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 00:16

Basically, football is being configured by the money men to appeal to those who don.t actually attend matches - either because it.s impractical (eg they live in Japan etc) or because they.re happier to watch a match on TV than to attend a football stadium in the next street.

In purely marketing terms that makes sense - there are many more non-attendees than there are attendees, so that.s the big market. And as long as there.s enough demand to fill the big clubs. grounds and provide an atmosphere, the TV companies will pay for the rights, and sell the worldwide audience to the advertisers.

All of us who want to attend live football matches, and who believe in the value of local football clubs to the community, will (I think) abhor this - but we are a minority - and dying out (look at the proportion of season ticket holders who get concessionary rates.)

Anyway, it.s human nature to be seduced by the conceit of being followers of a big successful team, or at least to be very interested in their fortunes. How many of us who support Dunfermline Athletic pay much attention to the fortunes of our local junior or amateur team? When I was a kid the Junior Cup Final regularly drew crowds of 50,000 or more, nowadays it.s a tenth of that.

So, obviously I hope this latest move by the big clubs fails, but if it does then inevitably it will come back again in some shape or form. As GG Riva rightly says, breakaway proposals go back a long way, and the football authorities have repeatedly made concessions to keep the big clubs nominally in the fold.

I think the future will consist of the big clubs continuing to have a presence in their local leagues, but regularly fielding their second string players, much as the English clubs do now for the League Cup, and sometimes even for the FA Cup. The big money and the top players will be in the "European" league, which will either be a closed shop or extremely difficult to break into.

Eventually even that bubble will burst, but by then not many will care.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters' Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 00:36

Depressingly excellent post there.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 00:46

I thought the Champions League was a complete carve up but this would take it to new levels. The greed and manipulation at the top of football is stinking and this closed shop of so called elite teams is sadly inevitable but also absolutely disgusting.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 03:55

We have seen all this before with cricket. It got over commercialized and a good sport got utterly ruined. Crowds disappeared from the main game and several hybrids were created for TV.
Somewhere down the track you will start to hear things like, ”45 minutes doesn.t fit our timeslots. Let.s break them into three 15 minute slots...” etc.
And before you know it, the game as we know it dies.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 08:00

An excellent and insightful post from Stanza, further up.

Brian Glanville, the English football journalist, renamed the EPL as the "Greed is Good League." I wonder what he'll make of this monster, if/when it gets off the ground.

Of course, the reason most of us are against this proposal is because we are fans of a relatively small club. As schoolboys in the 60s, my friends and I used to be hot for the idea of a British League, because we were convinced that the high flying Pars team of that era would have been invited to join it. And why not, we thought? The Pars had seen off quite a few English teams at EEP. In our mind's eye we could visualise a fixture list with games like Celtic v Liverpool, Arsenal v Rangers and Dunfermline v Man U. Imagine George Best, Denis Law and Bobby Charlton at East End Park.

Oh well, 2 out of 3 isn't bad. I could add a few others to that list, too. 🙂

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 08:13

What is the model based upon. Has the Champions League now stagnated and revenues started to stall? Is this the reason? Growth of revenue and stuff football??
Personally I don’t care much for the Champions League anymore. When it started I used to watch out for Scottish and English teams, but now I am not even interested in the games, even the final. Am I alone in this?
The main reason for this was my disenfranchisement with the fairness of the tournament. The short term financial gains are obvious but is there any thought for the long term I.e. with those proposals, is there a long term plan for a sustained model?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 10:51

Excellent point Oz - cricket has been totally ruined.

We.re in a ridiculous position where top players don.t play test matches because they.d rather play one day/20:20 stuff for franchises. Personally I find 20:20 really dull - I don.t care who wins because it.s so random.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 12:24

Have to say on the cricket front I like the Twenty20 and enjoy watching the Big Bash every year.It has undoubtedly brought a new audience to cricket.You can get the occasional random result but if you look at the rankings the best teams still rise to the top. It has a time and a place.I.m also a fan of the Test match but not everybody is.Test match cricket was on the decline, with the possible exception of the Ashes, long before T20 came about.I also hope it never replaces Test cricket and it is in danger of over saturation I agree. I used to enjoy the Tennents Sixes on the football front but it was never going to replace 11 a side.

I should also say that I.m completely against this Euro League-in fact I haven.t seen a single fan that is for it! What a nonsense. I notice someone said they could only get relegated after 20 years-where would they be relegated to? Would they expect to be welcomed back to their domestic league with open arms? I hope they would get relegated to the bottom of the pyramid. Would they expect an extra team to be relegated to accommodate them?

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net