DAFC.net
Home 30 November 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Pars Opponents All Time XI
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 08:09

We've had many threads inviting us to select a best ever Pars XI from the players we've seen gracing the black and white top, but I don't think we've ever done the same using opposing players.

The rules are simple. Think about all the great players who have played for the opposition AT EEP and put together your all time XI in any formation you want and if you're struggling as to who to leave out, you can have a long subs bench, too. 🙂

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Pars Opponents All Time XI
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 11:12

Limiting to players I.ve seen play...excluding friendlies (i.e competitive matches only). Traditional 442, given that was the formation most often played when I went to matches. Sadly it.s OF dominated

GK. Theo Snelders.
RB. David Robertson
CB. David Weir
CB. Richard Gough
LB. Gio van Bronckhorst
RM. Lubo Moravcik
CM. Eoin Jess
CM. Paul Lambert
LM. Brian Laudrup
CF. Henrik Larsson
CF. Hans Gilhaus

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 11:16

Here.s my attempt-no doubt more will come to me. It.s pretty clear I.m not as old as some contributors too :)

Goram
McNamara
Pique
Gough
Albertz
Laudrup
Gascoigne
Scholes
Giggs
Larsson
Rooney

Subs-some for solely their performances at EEP

Snelders
Di Canio
Le Tissier
Jess
Gilhaus
Eagles
Cooper
McCleish

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 11:56

Opponents in competitive games ?

Apart from regular domestic opponents - old timer farts like me can nominate some of the big names that played at EEP in European games.

Jose Iribar, Atletico Bilbao, legendary Spanish keeper - UEFA Nations Cup winner 1964

Paul Van Himst, Anderlecht and Belgium.

Ferenc Bene, Ujpest Dosza and Hungary - Olympic Gold medallist 1964

Canario (Darcy Silveira dos Santos), Real Zaragoza and Brazil - European Cup winner with Real Madrid at Hampden 1960.

I.m sure Sammer can nominate others.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 12:04

Quote:

veteraneastender, Wed 21 Oct 11:56

Opponents in competitive games ?

Apart from regular domestic opponents - old timer farts like me can nominate some of the big names that played at EEP in European games.

Jose Iribar, Atletico Bilbao, legendary Spanish keeper - UEFA Nations Cup winner 1964

Paul Van Himst, Anderlecht and Belgium.

Ferenc Bene, Ujpest Dosza and Hungary - Olympic Gold medallist 1964

Canario (Darcy Silveira dos Santos), Real Zaragoza and Brazil - European Cup winner with Real Madrid at Hampden 1960.

I.m sure Sammer can nominate others.

I think we can accommodate those who have played against the Pars in friendlies, too, VEE. I'm waiting on Sammer to select his team before I make a move. ☺

Post Edited (Wed 21 Oct 12:05)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 12:11

No Emil Hallfredsson? He ripped us to shreds in our tie vs Hafnarfjordur.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 12:36

Hallfredsson - wasn.t at that game, but I don.t think he gets in over Laudrup in my team anyway.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 12:42

You can pick a few from the Arsenal game - Henry and Vieira.
Vieira, in particular, was class

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sonofpetrie  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 12:50

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Wed 21 Oct 12:42

You can pick a few from the Arsenal game - Henry and Vieira.
Vieira, in particular, was class

I will never forget that game. The thing that sticks with me more than anything was the condition of the players. (An ageing) Tony Adams looked like he was chiseled from Granite by comparison to our boys. And every single one of them had about 4 more gears they never even needed to use in the speed department.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 13:03

I’m supposed to be writing birthday greetings to a granddaughter who’s 23 today but have been waylaid by GG Riva’s challenge.

I think in terms of quality Iribar, Bene and Van Himst would have to be in the team. They were all recognised in their time as outstanding players not just in their own countries but across Europe. We’ve also had at least three players at EEP who scored in a World Cup Final: Simonsson of Orgryte (1958). Josef Masopust of Dukla Prague (1962) and Geoff Hurst of West Ham 1966) although only Simonsson played here in a competitive match -in 1964 and I think scored.

I’ll have to break off to write my card but rather than select the best players, I will think about the best performances I have seen from opposition players at EEP.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 13:09

No doubt Henry and Vieira would have made it in to mine. Unfortunately wasn.t at that game and I.d completely forgotten that we had played them tbh.

I did see Jean Pierre Papin and Karl Heinze Reidle at EEP but presumably they don.t count :)

Best individual performance for me would be Eoin Jess when he scored 4-he had just turned 21 but didn.t really have the career I expected after that. I also remember Davie Cooper in his latter years for Clydebank-even at a fair age he was impressive compared to everybody else.

Post Edited (Wed 21 Oct 13:18)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 13:28

Quote:

parathletic, Wed 21 Oct 13:09

No doubt Henry and Vieira would have made it in to mine. Unfortunately wasn.t at that game and I.d completely forgotten that we had played them tbh.

I did see Jean Pierre Papin and Karl Heinze Reidle at EEP but presumably they don.t count :)

Best individual performance for me would be Eoin Jess when he scored 4-he had just turned 21 but didn.t really have the career I expected after that. I also remember Davie Cooper in his latter years for Clydebank-even at a fair age he was impressive compared to everybody else.

Glad you mention Jess.
He single handedly destroyed us that day and even got applause from some Pars fans by the end.
Best I've seen at East End.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 14:13

Here’s my X1. Some are based on one outstanding performance at EEP, others ones I admired over a number of years.

1. Allan Ball
The QOTS keeper defied us time and again in one of my first matches around 1963 in a 0-0 draw. Any time I saw him he always seemed the real deal.

2. Andy Rolland
Strong, consistent player who belted home two powerful drives to win a match for Dundee Utd in 1969.

3. ?

4. Pat Stanton
Always easy on the eye he scored a stylish brace for Hibs against us in the mid 1970s.

5. Shaun Dennis
A powerful defender who commanded the penalty box and held out for 10 man Raith at EEP in a 1-0 win.

6. Frank Sauzee
Oozing class and a great distributor, Sauzee lost two teeth at EEP when clearing with a diving header inside the 6 yard box.

7. ‘Stan’ Libuda of Borrusia Dortmund was a fine dribbler and turned John Lunn inside and out in a 1967 friendly.

8. Jimmy Smith
The Aberdeen man used to move with the ball cupped in his instep and he destroyed us in a 2-0 win in 1969.

9. Eoin Jess
A talented player with a lovely touch, he scored all four goals for Aberdeen against us when teamed with Gilhaus.

10. Paul van Himst
A top European player who made and scored goals throughout his long career, his performance at EEP in 1969 is still remembered by many who saw it. Maybe one of the greatest mudbath players ever- he could carry the ball and pass accurately in a ploughed field!

11. Siggi Held
Borussia’s attacker could go through the centre or give full backs a torrid time when he ran wide left, using power and pace to punch holes in a defence.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 14:26

Klos

Dixon
Pique
Van Dijk
Cole

Viera
Giggs
Scholes

Henry
Rooney
Larrson

Would be lucky to touch the ball.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 14:36

Not a bad team at all, Grant

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 14:40

Did Van Dijk play at East End? I thought of him but couldn.t remember him playing there.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 14:54

Surely have to include Jimmy Johnstone...?

Also, the left-winger Capkovic of Slovan Bratislava.

That Spurs team we played in the Texaco Cup had a few big stars in it too, including Martin Peters and Pat Jennings.

Edit: to add the Russian winger Kanchelskis who scored a screamer against us with the old Rangers.

Post Edited (Wed 21 Oct 15:08)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 14:54

Glad to see Bene and Van Himst mentioned, first 2 players that came to mind.

Also Asa Hartford as a 16 year old with WBA.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jojo  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 15:54

What about George Best in ‘79 . Admittedly past his peak and did nothing on the day but still a thrill to see him at EEP
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 15:57

Surprised not to see George Best being quoted - he was well past his prime when he appeared for Hibs at EEP, but he was a stand out passing the ball around, long and short almost effortlessly.

Also George Connelly - another class.

Post Edited (Wed 21 Oct 15:59)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 16:45

Surprised no one has said Cannigia, I.m sure he scored against us every time.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 17:40

I always thought Beto Carranza was the standout of a the Dundee imports but was injured far too often.

On the Dundee theme, Kjell Olofsson was always very impressive against us and likewise Erik Pedersen.....one of a very select few who could handle Laudrup effectively.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 17:44

Surely Jimmy Johnstone gets a mention for his tussles with John Lunn?

Also King Kenny!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 17:56

Never thought I’d see Shaun Dennis mentioned in such esteemed company 😂.

How about a shout out for Kalou of Feyenoord? - it was only a friendly but he tore us apart.

Andy J
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 18:05

This will make me sound like a closet Rangers fan - God forbid - but I think Davie Cooper, Brian Laudrup and Graeme Souness would be in my team right away.
Willie Miller and Alex McLeish came as a pair and as a pair I’d have them in my team. Henrik Larsson is another I’d find it hard to leave out. Danny McGrain must have played at East End Park, likewise Sandy Jardine. I know that’s not a complete team, but any side with all or most of these would be a very, very good team indeed.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Roy Barry Fan Club  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 18:38

Pat Bonnar

Tommy Gemmell
Billy McNeil
John Greig
Davie Hay

George Best
Brian Laudrup
Charlie Cooke
Jimmy Johnstone

Jeff Astle
Henrik Larsen

Competitive games at EEP (I have a distinct memory of Charlie Cooke being just magical at East End playing for Dundee before he went to Chelsea)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gadgie59  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 18:43

Okay most of these guys didn.t quite reach the stellar hights of the game. but they all hold a certain degree of affection for me.

Alan Rough
Sandy Jardine
Danny McGrain
Willie Miller
Billy McNeil
Pat Stanton
Davie Cooper
Kenny Dalglish
Donald Ford
Willie Pettigrew
Arthur Duncan

Andy Goram
John Brownlee
Alex McLeish
George Connelly
Gordon Strachan
Joe Harper

“Football is a beautiful game,
It should be played beautifully.”
Brian Clough.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ronaldo  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 19:39

Alan Ball of QOS, Sammer .... I can still see him now, sprawled flat out, face down in the mud, in utter despair (having performed heroics for 80-odd minutes) after we snatched a late winner against Queens in a Scottish Cup tie in 1974.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 19:52

Happy Birthday Sammers Granddaughter

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 20:16

I thought Jim Leighton was exceptional, especially in the 0-0 draw in the cup.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 20:35

I have a recollection Alan Ball holds the QotS appearance record - something in the 700 + plus range.

George Farm signed him for the club.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 20:36

Some interesting choices - funnily enough the name of Donald Ford crossed my mind too. He was a prolific striker in his day - big lugs like the Scottish cup, the trophy that eluded him in ‘68 I’m delighted to say. I know cos I was there !!

Another name cropping up is Willie Pettigrew - another man who was a decent striker, at least at domestic level.

Also, ask any older Spurs fan Just how good Alan Gilzean was. I can’t say for certain that he played at EEP in his Dundee days but he was a very good player.

I note the absence thus far of the more ‘mercurial‘ Scottish players :!Andy Ritchie and Chic Charnley to name a couple. These guys certainly added to the gaiety of the beautiful game.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StuPar82  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 21:32

Gazza must surely be in with a shout.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 22:07

Matt Le Tissier would be in there too, but so many to choose from

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 22:34

A really enjoyable blog for me. Alan Gilzean was top quality and scored a hat trick at EEP in a League Cup section game in his prime. He was scoring around 80. before he moved to Spurs.

Of the names mentioned, I think Laudrup. Larsson, Sauzee and Gascoigne were all players who performed at the highest level. Their equivalents in my formative years were Baxter and Dalglish, before we had foreign players. Cooke, Johnstone and Cooper were outstanding too, but more individual talents.

Pat Stanton, George Connelly, Alex Edwards were not far behind.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 22:57

Some great names mentioned here, can't really compete with some of the names like Viera and Henry. I've gone for a line up based on their performances in games against us and how much I wanted them to sign for us at the time. Obviously a lot of them are far from the quality of some players mentioned previously, this is probably more of a cult XI
1. Goram
2. McNamara
3. Robertson
4. Sandison
5. Hughes
6. Jess
7. Kasule
8. Charnley
9. Eadie
10. Gillhaus
11. Cooper
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 23:07

"He was scoring around 80. before he moved to Spurs."

Gillie.s record at Dundee was 52 goals season 1963/64.

80 would be approaching half the total number he scored in his Dens Park career 1957/64 - 169 in 190 competitive matches, both are club records.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Thu 22 Oct 00:09

Quote:

TAFKA_Super_Petrie, Wed 21 Oct 17:40

I always thought Beto Carranza was the standout of a the Dundee imports but was injured far too often.

On the Dundee theme, Kjell Olofsson was always very impressive against us and likewise Erik Pedersen.....one of a very select few who could handle Laudrup effectively.

Good shout on Olofsson, that first season us and United got back to the Premier League he was different class. I recall a game at East End maybe 96 or 97 that we lost against United and he was superb and scored a couple and we lost 3-1. We seemed to have alot of chances but he was head and shoulders above anything on the park.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Oct 00:13

VEE,

I meant 80 per cent in terms of goals per game. The new format is not helpful in this regard.

Only Pele I think ever managed 80 goals in a season and that was when he was a just out of his teens.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Oct 12:03

Good shout on Oloffsson. As I recall Sieb Dykstra played an absolute blinder for Utd in goal that day too. I left the ground thinking that Dundee Utd could win the league with that team.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Thu 22 Oct 12:30

In that case I’d go for Junior Mendes who ripped us apart on more than one occasion.

What a flop he turned out to be!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Thu 22 Oct 13:02

Theo Snelders
Jackie McNamara
Paul Richie
Alan McLaren
David Robertson

Davie Cooper
Neil McCann
Marko Rajamaki
Paul Gascoigne

Henrik Larsson
Eion Jess

Subs
Gillhaus
Robbie Keane
Laudrup
Goram
Oloffson
Albertz
Le Tissier

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Oct 13:33

"I meant 80 per cent in terms of goals per game. The new format is not helpful in this regard."

Thanks for clarification Sammer - that makes sense now !!!

I reading an interesting article about Alan Gilzean a couple or so years ago - he said that he wasn.t really that keen on playing football, it was just that he had a natural flair for scoring.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/alan-gilzean-obituary-5mr9tct6z

Post Edited (Thu 22 Oct 13:39)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Oct 15:46

Quote:

veteraneastender, Wed 21 Oct 15:57

Surprised not to see George Best being quoted - he was well past his prime when he appeared for Hibs at EEP, but he was a stand out passing the ball around, long and short almost effortlessly.

Also George Connelly - another class.

Out of condition and well past his his prime but, here's a wee clip to refresh your memories:-

https://youtu.be/bV3p4UIot4w

Eta. Widdy, I've just posted my first live link, since Brian set up the new server, thanks to your idiot-proof guide. ☺ When do I get my gold star?

Post Edited (Thu 22 Oct 15:52)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Thu 22 Oct 17:26

I’d have Ricardo Fuller (hearts) and Georgie Nemsadze (Dundee) in there too.
Oh and Fabian Caballero (Dundee) too. He was a great player.

Post Edited (Thu 22 Oct 17:28)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Oct 18:14

Any ideas who has scored the most goals ever against us?

Just noticed McCoist got 22 goals in 17 starts-not sure how many were at EEP. Would take some beating but maybe some of the historians know others with better records?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Thu 22 Oct 18:21

Paulo di Canio and Paul McStay weren’t bad.

And I know he never reached the heights but watching Mickey Weir in our first game in the Premier League showed me straight away that we were in for a tough season.

Andy J
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Thu 22 Oct 19:25

1 Snjelders
2 McNamara
3 Numan
4 Ferdinand
5 Greig
6 Van Bronkhorst
7 Giggs
8 Moravcik
9 Hateley
10 Larsson
11 Laudrup

Subs
Goram
McCall
Souness
Lampard
Dalglish
Le Tissier
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Thu 22 Oct 21:45

John Robertson, of hearts, was deadly in the box.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Oct 23:37

I made a mental note of Robertson earlier then forgot him when I was doing my list.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Fri 23 Oct 00:35

Robertson is another I forgot about, seem to remember him scoring a few against us in a downpour at East End Park. Good thread this, some people picking some fine teams, in particular Grant and the Roy Barry Fan Club. It would have been a good game if those two sides went up against each other in their prime, although I reckon RBFCs side would just about shade it
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Oct 01:02

Still not convinced Van Dijk ever played at East End, we were in League One at the time he was in Scotland. I stand to be corrected though.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Oct 10:50

..Still not convinced Van Dijk ever played at East End, we were in League One at the time he was in Scotland. I stand to be corrected though...

No, don.t think he did. I never saw him play there, so I.ve left him out. I.ve taken a long time to make my selection, not so much about who to put in, but who to leave out. I.ve based my choice on these players at their peak, rather than on how they performed against the Pars.

1. Pat Jennings
2. Danny McGrain
3. Andy Robertson
4. Patrick Viera
5. Billy McNeill
6. Bobby Moore
7. Jimmy Johnstone
8. Kenny Dalglish
9. Thierry Henry
10. Denis Law
11. George Best

Subs Bench!

1. Jim Leighton
2. Sandy Jardine
3. Ashley Cole
4. Bobby Murdoch
5. Alex McLeish
6. Willie Miller
7. Brian Laudrup
8. Graeme Souness
9. Alan Gilzean
10. Paul Gascoigne
11. Henrik Larsson

No place for Andy Goram, Paul van Himst, Andy Gray, Davie Cooper.... etc. etc.

Shocking!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Fri 23 Oct 10:56

Maybe not the greatest player , but one of the best performances at East End , Ivan Sproule destroyed us think it may have been a cup game ?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jdafc  
Date:   Sat 24 Oct 11:11

I have been keeping an eye on this thread, as it has reminded me of so many
really good players we have seen in the past.
I am a little surprised that nobody has mentioned Ray Wilkins. He absolutely strolled the games I saw him play at EEP for the old Rangers. Definitely a classy player.

Always a Par

JD

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sat 24 Oct 11:18

Simpson
Craig
Gemmel
Murdoch
McNeil
Clark
Johnstone
Wallace
Chalmers
Auld
Lennox

Reserves

Ritchie
Shearer
Caldow
Greig
McKinnon
Baxter
Henderson
McMillan
Millar
Brand
Wilson

Post Edited (Sat 24 Oct 11:23)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sat 24 Oct 11:34

It.s not always possible to choose 11 arbitrary players and assume that they would make the best team. There are I suppose many factors that combine to produce the well oiled machine of a successful football team. But a team containing the greatest players who ever played at East End park must include in my humble opinion, Kenny Dalglish, Jim Baxter, Dennis Law (if he played at EEP) Paul Gascoigne, Brian Laudrop, Henrick Laarson, Jimmy Johnstone, George Best, a few defenders and a goalkeeper. Of course, how you fit these world class players into a successful team is another question.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 24 Oct 12:10

Quote:

jdafc, Sat 24 Oct 11:11

I am a little surprised that nobody has mentioned Ray Wilkins. He absolutely strolled the games I saw him play at EEP for the old Rangers. Definitely a classy player.

Always a Par

JD

I considered Wilkins and Brooking. Both class acts.
Saw Wilkins play for QPR at Anfield at the end of his career and he ran the show by rarely moving out of a circle about 30 yds wide. Got a standing ovation from the Kop when he went off.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 68guns  
Date:   Sat 24 Oct 13:16

based on one off league games where I felt these players caught my eye against us:-

Snelders

Tom Boyd
Richard Gough
Graeme Souness
Davie Robertson

Gary Teale
Eoin Jess
Paul Gascoigne
Davie Cooper

Ian Wallace
Derek Parlane

Subs

John Robertson
Henrik Larsson
Ally McCoist
Brian Laudrup
Mickey Weir
Paul Elliott

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 24 Oct 13:21

Quote:

Always a Par

JD

Aye, Butch could play a bit. Not everyone appreciated his "keep it simple" style. A former manager of his called him Old Square Balls. Not the most flattering of nicknames.

You've also reminded me that Britain's first £1 million player was a team mate of Wilkins in that same team, assembled by Souness, with money from the bank which they would never repay.....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sat 24 Oct 14:06

Quote:

Always a Par

JD

Including the game we beat them 2-0 in the scottish cup

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Sat 24 Oct 15:06

Quote:

68guns, Sat 24 Oct 13:16

based on one off league games where I felt these players caught my eye against us:-

Snelders

Tom Boyd
Richard Gough
Graeme Souness
Davie Robertson

Gary Teale
Eoin Jess
Paul Gascoigne
Davie Cooper

Ian Wallace
Derek Parlane

Subs

John Robertson
Henrik Larsson
Ally McCoist
Brian Laudrup
Mickey Weir
Paul Elliott

Nae Kenny McDowall in there 68guns ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 68guns  
Date:   Sun 25 Oct 18:07

Still hide my face in shame very time I hear that name MikeyLeonard

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Sun 25 Oct 18:34

Quote:

68guns, Sun 25 Oct 18:07

Still hide my face in shame very time I hear that name MikeyLeonard

I'll never forget that incident. . .I still tell folk about it today 😂
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 25 Oct 19:54

Paralex - the Law Man played for the opposition XI in John Lunn.s testimonial at EEP, 1973, or thereabouts.

Cue GG to say "oh no he didn.t" !!!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 25 Oct 19:58

You are right Vee he will because it was 1974 :)

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 26 Oct 04:59

..Paralex - the Law Man played for the opposition XI in John Lunn.s testimonial at EEP, 1973, or thereabouts...

Actually, I think he played 45 mins for each side, (although I could be havering) scored a penalty for the opposition which was loudly cheered by every fan, in an entertaining 3-3 draw.

..Aye, Butch could play a bit. Not everyone appreciated his "keep it simple" style. A former manager of his called him Old Square Balls. Not the most flattering of nicknames.

You.ve also reminded me that Britain.s first £1 million player was a team mate of Wilkins in that same team, assembled by Souness, with money from the bank which they would never repay.......

There was an implied challenge to name the manager and player alluded to in my earlier post. Surprised no one stepped up to the plate... :-)

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 26 Oct 08:28

Trevor Francis ?
Fergie ?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 26 Oct 10:56

Quote:

Buspasspar, Mon 26 Oct 08:28

Trevor Francis ?
Fergie ?

Trevor Francis is correct, Sir Fergie isn't.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Mon 26 Oct 12:49

Memory isn't great it seemed, I was positive that I remembered Van Dijk scoring a free kick against us, turns out it was Charlie Mulgrrw!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 26 Oct 13:46

They are like two peas, right enough :-)

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gthyde  
Date:   Mon 26 Oct 14:26

Quote:

GG Riva, Mon 26 Oct 10:56

Quote:

Trevor Francis ?
Fergie ?

Clough
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 26 Oct 15:26

Quote:

gthyde, Mon 26 Oct 14:26

Quote:

GG Riva, Mon 26 Oct 10:56

Quote:

Trevor Francis ?
Fergie ?

Clough

Definitely not Clough. I don't think Wilkins ever played for him, gt.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Mon 26 Oct 15:39

What was the question GG? The way you worded it i was thinking Trevor Francis never played for Rangers then realised you meant Sanpdoria !

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 26 Oct 15:58

I remember Trevor Francis playing for Rangers for a season.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Mon 26 Oct 16:42

Quote:

parathletic, Mon 26 Oct 15:58

I remember Trevor Francis playing for Rangers for a season.

Yep. Pretty sure 87-88 season. Think he won a cup as well.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 26 Oct 16:54

Was it Ron Atkinson that called Wilkins square balls?

Found a Tommy Docherty quote as well which was pretty derogatory

.He can.t run, he can.t tackle and he can.t head the ball. The only time he goes forward is for the toss..

He was a bit before my time but came across as a likeable guy.Enjoyed him on Football Italia with Peter Brackley. I remember him most for a peach of a volley against Celtic and of course being in the Tango adverts :)

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 26 Oct 18:01

..What was the question GG? The way you worded it i was thinking Trevor Francis never played for Rangers then realised you meant Sanpdoria !..

Just for you, TAFKA.....

.. Butch could play a bit. Not everyone appreciated his "keep it simple" style. A former manager of his called him Old Square Balls. Not the most flattering of nicknames.

You.ve also reminded me that Britain.s first £1 million player was a team mate of Wilkins in that same team, assembled by Souness, with money from the bank which they would never repay.......

I was looking for two answers, of course. Too late now. He.s a knowledgeable guy, yon parathletic.

Britain.s first £1 million player was Trevor Francis (Birmingham to Notts Forest.) He was a team mate of Wilkins at Ibrox. Souness didn.t assemble an expensive squad with a Scottish bank.s money in Genoa. :-)

The former manager who referred to Wilkins as ..Old Square Balls.. was Tommy Docherty, not Ron Atkinson, I think, but I.m not 100. (I read the Doc.s autobiography but he may have stolen Atkinson.s line.)

..He can.t run, he can.t tackle and he can.t head the ball. The only time he goes forward is for the toss....

That is classic Tommy Doc. So funny but so cruel.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 26 Oct 19:34

It must have been Tommy Docherty if you read it in his autobiography. The only reason I guessed Atkinson was I wasn.t sure whether Docherty had ever been his manager?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 26 Oct 19:45

"You are right Vee he will because it was 1974 :)"

I put it to you that "thereabouts" is more than adequate !!!

I was at that game - thought it was .73,.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 26 Oct 20:42

Quote:

parathletic, Mon 26 Oct 19:34

It must have been Tommy Docherty if you read it in his autobiography. The only reason I guessed Atkinson was I wasn.t sure whether Docherty had ever been his manager?

I've checked and you're right, Docherty never managed Wilkins, he managed both Chelsea and Man U long before Wilkins played for them, but I'm fairly certain he passes that bleak assessment of him in his book. I passed it on to a pal some years ago, so I've no way of checking.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net