DAFC.net
Home 30 November 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Messi.s mentor
Topic Originator: Gadgie59  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 18:03

Is there a moral in the story of Ronaldinho?

From: a declaration of "would play for free" - for Gremio, the club that he adored as a child, and which provided the path out of poverty for his family.

To: tragedy. fueled by the wealth that led to excess, to perhaps greed, to extravagent life-style and perhaps to crime and corruption?

For those in poverty or .close to., isn.t it strange how football can become a source of comfort and escape. to such an extent that it becomes more than .just a game.. Fidelity and betrayal, in football, take on an importance that can surpass those of familiy, life and work.

I read Bobby Robson.s biography, and how after the 1961 9-3 England-Scotland game (in which he scored), he was on the same train from Wembly as fans from the match. Cannot imagine modern day .professionals. in that sort of scenario.

And here we are today. where in the Scottish league, as in many others, we have players on a merry-go-round of clubs - pretty much driven by .the money.. Have we lost, to quote Ronaldinho.s own words ... "what matters is the love of the shirt"?

I guess that once these changes began, and which Bobby Robson was a significant influence in btw, there was probably not much anyone could do to .undo. it? ...... ah well, I just wish I could afford Sky Sports or something :.)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53677655?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

“Football is a beautiful game,
It should be played beautifully.”
Brian Clough.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Messi.s mentor
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 18:18

I think there is some sense in what you say, but can we demand or expect that players play for club loyalty above all?
It took a long time for players to be properly remunerated for their work - I read a really good book by Gary Imlach all about his dad, Stuart Imlach who turned out for Nottingham Forest and Scotland in the late 50s. His dad had to work as a joiner in the close season because players weren’t paid when ‘not working’. Hard to believe these days!
It’s tough to establish personal links with big name players these days, hard for youngsters to have even autograph access to their heroes, and that is a pity. I watched the All Blacks play Australia last weekend, and after the game all the players, the cream of world rugby, seemed to be available at pitch side for selfies, autographs and the like. Don’t know how doable this would be in elite level football, but it was great to see.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 18:51

Billy Bremner was on the train next to us after Wembley 73, football special leaving at midnight for Scotland.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Oct 14:12

parfection - just to offer a response to your question:

“... can we demand or expect that players play for club loyalty above all?”

No, we can’t ... it would be fanciful, if not deluded, to think so.

Perhaps there is an opportunity for reflection though? When Bobby Robson, and even Ronaldinho himself (and/or his brother Assis) sought to negotiate better remuneration, I am fairly certain that this began, and was intended, to ‘get a fair deal’. Somewhere along the line though, things change and the money gets in the way.

The essence of football lies in skill, talent, teamwork...passion, ecstasy and despair. None of these are truly inspired by money.

When Alex Ferguson led Aberdeen to victory over Real Madrid in 1983. Di Stéfano was gracious in defeat and is quoted as saying:

“Aberdeen have what money can.t buy. a soul, a team spirit built in a family tradition."

I’ve long admired Ronaldinho, I think perhaps his talent is something of a force of nature. But, I guess the money did become something of a salvation for him. according to the BBC article, he spent much of his prison time locked up in a 5-star hotel. :)

Brian Clough.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mainstand83  
Date:   Thu 22 Oct 16:22

Interesting read although not sure what any of it has to do with Messi as he’s not mentioned in the article at all

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 22 Oct 18:19

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53677655?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Oct 20:35

Hi Mainstand83 ..... this is the paragraph that inspired me to use the reference to Messi in the title :}

——
The man known as O Bruxo (The Wizard) began to bewitch spectators across the globe. In 2002 he helped Brazil win the World Cup. A year later he swapped Paris for Barcelona, from where he would illuminate the European game. He won the Champions League and two league titles during five years with the Spanish club, while acting as mentor to Lionel Messi.
——

Brian Clough.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net