DAFC.net
Home 25 January 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Commentator thread
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 20:39

I really try and hold my tongue but when I read our fans having a go at PPV commentators, it really p*sses me off.
Do you think for the money you spend, you're getting Sky Sports standards?
These people are volunteers and trying their best and not forgetting, in normal circumstances only for a handful of ex pats.
Please give them a break.
It does us all a disservice.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Commentator thread
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 20:43

If you`re not happy with the commentary you can switch it off.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FA1968  
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 20:44

Thought the laddy was decent, an ICT fan of course but decent and not overly biased. Fair play to him for his probably unpaid evenings work.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kessel  
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 20:45

Remember and take your medication before you post next time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsloyal98  
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 20:46

Not expecting Sky Sports level commentary but he called Fon Williams “Von Williams” all night and misnamed a player almost every time. For me getting names right is the absolute bare minimum

We love Dunfermline We do!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 20:47

If you are going to broadcast/present, you have to be prepared for criticism. If it is constructive, it`s helpful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Polt  
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 20:50

I turned off volume, aye guid he does it in his own time but he was doing my head in. I tend to say it how I see it. With Pars Tv it is better in my opinion as you have 2 and bounce questions and tactical info about game. Again .... my opinion

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 20:54

This is a copy of what I posted at HT on a similar thread elsewhere on social media.

"He is a bit annoying, but he`s trying to be fair and seems to have difficulty identifying the ICT players as well - possibly not even in the stadium?

If anyone thinks it`s easy to commentate live, give it a try!

IMO the biggest mistake the amateur commentators make is feeling pressured into filling every minute with unnecessary words - often not much more is needed than the player`s name - the rest we can see for ourselves."

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 20:54

Jordan, who does our commentary, has a fantastic amount of knowledge of lower league Scottish football and is an excellent commentator.

It`s a chatty style when he has his co-commentator with him (I think it is Lewis), but he was exceptional in the games where he had to fly solo earlier in the season.

Re the ICT guy, he did make reference to the fact that he was only seeing what we were seeing - so he clearly wasn`t in the stadium.

Post Edited (Tue 29 Dec 20:55)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 20:57

``...IMO the biggest mistake the amateur commentators make is feeling pressured into filling every minute with unnecessary words - often not much more is needed than the player`s name - the rest we can see for ourselves."

I agree with that, Stanza. A good commentator knows when to shut up but I suspect it takes years of practice.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pacifist  
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 20:58

We know all that about volunteers, and they are respected, but when anyone puts their head above the parapet expect it to be knocked now and again - we all make mistakes in every part of our lives and suffer for it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 21:02

I thought he was OK to be honest - certainly better than I expected after hearing what some Rovers fans thought when they were at Inverness a few weeks ago. Remember that he was commentating by watching the stream, not from inside the ground - given that, it doesn`t seem that big a deal to misidentify players sometimes.

Where I think many of the commentators fall down a bit is that they have a tendancy to witter on a bit and go out of their way to show that they`re knowledgeable about the opposition. Wee asides are OK now and again, but I sometimes find it irritating when a long period of time is spent talking about something other than what is happening here and now.

Raith Rovers and Ayr were both good, the others including ours (I didn`t see the Alloa or Dumbarton games) all slightly below that and about the same. All quite acceptable given that it`s being done by amateurs.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 21:09

That does make a difference not being in stadium fair comments there as it is definitely harder to keep the consistency throughout the game. I for one couldn’t do it, I don’t for one minute think it should be sky sports quality. The other thing is the voice haha some you can take to and some are just annoying.

That’s a good point made about trying to hard to fill in the gaps, trying to show knowledge of opponents to fill in gaps.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 21:11

Quote:

Socks, Tue 29 Dec 21:02

I thought he was OK to be honest - certainly better than I expected after hearing what some Rovers fans thought when they were at Inverness a few weeks ago. Remember that he was commentating by watching the stream, not from inside the ground - given that, it doesn`t seem that big a deal to misidentify players sometimes.

Where I think many of the commentators fall down a bit is that they have a tendancy to witter on a bit and go out of their way to show that they`re knowledgeable about the opposition. Wee asides are OK now and again, but I sometimes find it irritating when a long period of time is spent talking about something other than what is happening here and now.

Raith Rovers and Ayr were both good, the others including ours (I didn`t see the Alloa or Dumbarton games) all slightly below that and about the same. All quite acceptable given that it`s being done by amateurs.

He gave a lot of info out, about his opposition
That might seem like reading Google off the cuff but he still did it despite being not paid.
Respect to Burty and all unpaid commentators out there.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParfectXI  
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 21:14

I thought he was ok. Of course it’s his own team he’s interested in so bound to be a wee bit biased, but still spoke about us a fair bit and tried to even it up. If you think he was bad try tuning into Rangers TV you’ll want to throw your baffies through the screen.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 21:56

Strange concept which wouldn’t be except anyplace else.
You pay for a service but the service provider choice to not employ anyone to do it but let a volunteer do it. You are then not allowed to complain because the guy is a volunteer!
Imagine that anyplace else? Went out for dinner yesterday, food was disappointing, turns out a local guy who had never cooked turned up so they let him do it. But hey ho, he wasn’t payed so I can’t complain.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 21:58

How much would it cost to employ a professional commentator do you think? You could hardly expect him to work for nothing.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FA1968  
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 21:58

If you have a few K to get an Arthur Montford/Archie McPherson type in to commentate on matches be sure to let the clubs know Duloch. Not sure many of the clubs currently have that luxury.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 22:19

Honestly clubs did have the ability to budget for there cameras and other services. We all knew that the season wouldn’t have attendance in ground and the online model would be there income stream.
ICT seem to have missed the boat, there website is incredibly difficult to use and the game coverage is poor.
Luckily we already had a good setup in ParsTv, which now with 2 commentary team is excellent.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 22:30

Everyone uses volunteers for the commentary though. It just so happens some of them aren`t to everyone`s taste.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 22:45

Agreed wee eck. Everyone has Thier own style. Just the style today didn`t work for me. Also folk don`t know i am deaf so i struggle as it is...I am a bit more judgemental because of that I suppose. That`s why i like pars TV commentary clear and rarely fluctuations in volume

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 00:15

“ Not expecting Sky Sports level commentary but he called Fon Williams “Von Williams” all night and misnamed a player almost every time. For me getting names right is the absolute bare minimum”

Oh, the irony. The correct pronunciation of the ‘Fôn’ in ‘Fôn Williams’ is actually a lot more like ‘Von’ than ‘Fon’. So you’re actually criticising someone for taking time to pronounce his name right, simply because you can’t be bothered pronouncing it correctly.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 00:51

A lot of drama over the level of commentators and expectations .
I would not expect any different as to what we are receiving .
I think its interesting to hear other teams delivery ,May not like them all ,but so far I enjoy .If I didnt I would simply turn off the volume 😂😂😂happy new your to all related to our great club .
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 01:04

Jesus. Talk about missing the point.
You're paying to watch the match during a lockdown.
These commentators were there before lockdown and will be there after lockdown because it is what they love to do.
I accept whatever I'm given, no matter how good or bad, no matter how biased to their own team.
It's fine to share opinions on how good or bad they are but I get really annoyed at fans thinking it should be part of the package when you pay for a game.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 01:26

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Wed 30 Dec 01:04

Jesus. Talk about missing the point.
You're paying to watch the match during a lockdown.
These commentators were there before lockdown and will be there after lockdown because it is what they love to do.
I accept whatever I'm given, no matter how good or bad, no matter how biased to their own team.
It's fine to share opinions on how good or bad they are but I get really annoyed at fans thinking it should be part of the package when you pay for a game.

I agree
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: plainview  
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 02:03

What an absolute nonsense. No one is expecting "sky sports standards", just a decent unbiased and accurate as possible commentary. Many have voiced their praise for commentary just as they have their criticisms. I know personally I will not be bothering with certain away streams again due to stream quality/commentary and will definitely be purchasing again from other clubs due to the positive experience I had using their streams. Without criticism how do these clubs adapt their approach to ensure as many people buy their stream as possible?
There`s nothing wrong with criticising the ICT commentator tonight because honestly he was below par. He sounded like Alexa listing off google facts about the Pars while getting loads of stuff wrong (e.g. Jim McIntyre manager before Craw) and was blinkered in his bias implying OFW was the reason we were 1-0 up at HT and not due to the fact we were just the better team. So many of the other teams have provided great streams/commentary, even the wee team provided much more insightful and unbiased commentary than dundee and ICT and they`re our rivals.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 02:31

Quote:

plainview, Wed 30 Dec 02:03

What an absolute nonsense. No one is expecting "sky sports standards", just a decent unbiased and accurate as possible commentary. Many have voiced their praise for commentary just as they have their criticisms. I know personally I will not be bothering with certain away streams again due to stream quality/commentary and will definitely be purchasing again from other clubs due to the positive experience I had using their streams. Without criticism how do these clubs adapt their approach to ensure as many people buy their stream as possible?
There`s nothing wrong with criticising the ICT commentator tonight because honestly he was below par. He sounded like Alexa listing off google facts about the Pars while getting loads of stuff wrong (e.g. Jim McIntyre manager before Craw) and was blinkered in his bias implying OFW was the reason we were 1-0 up at HT and not due to the fact we were just the better team. So many of the other teams have provided great streams/commentary, even the wee team provided much more insightful and unbiased commentary than dundee and ICT and they`re our rivals.

Absolute nonsense.
Why do you think they should be unbiased?
Why should they, as unpaid volunteers be lip service to away fans online?
They aren't hired hands from the SPFL, they are simply fans of their clubs.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 04:52

I’ve re-examined the comments folks made following the Dumbarton game back in October. Seems the quality of the streaming service wasn’t at all good for many on here. I was one of the lucky ones who had no glitches whatever. I looked again at my own post match remarks, and I described the two lads on commentary duty that night as “fair, balanced and knowledgeable”. In my view they are among the best I’ve heard, although the farmer from Arbroath was the best from a comic point of view.
I’m fairly happy overall, and am always mindful that these guys are not professionals. Some of the transgressions against the English language do make me wince on occasion, but great numbers on TV are also prone to some real howlers. “He’s came here and played good” , “We seen that a fair bit in the first half” etc, etc. Linguistic inexactitude aside though, most commentators have obviously spent some time in preparation, albeit some on here had a pop at last night’s commentator for an over reliance on facts lifted straight from Wikipedia with little regard for factual accuracy.
As others on here have said, try to remember that these guys work for the love of the game, and provide their services with genuine enthusiasm and, most tellingly, no financial remuneration. They serve their clubs well and deserve recognition and gratitude - thanks guys!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 06:25

Don`t envy the commentator last night, apparently not at the game and only commentating on what he could see on the feed. Can then excuse the odd miss identification of players.

I appreciate all the volunteers who give their time to bring us commentary and comments (including last nights commentator). He at least had tried to find out some info about the Pars even if the odd bit of info was incorrect.

He didn`t make any tactical comments about the game and stuck very much to telling us who had the ball (as best as he could pick out on the feed), so he would not be a candidate for commentator of the season. Still thanks to him for his efforts. I at least learned how to pronounce Fon Williams.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PAR57  
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 08:53

Talking about commentators....whatever happened to the Radio West
Fife commentators ????.These guys were good !!!
They only seemed to ever do audio......If I was working I listened to them
A good few people abroad listened too....apparently...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 11:35

Quote:

parsloyal98, Tue 29 Dec 20:46

Not expecting Sky Sports level commentary but he called Fon Williams “Von Williams” all night and misnamed a player almost every time. For me getting names right is the absolute bare minimum

Von Williams may be what ICT fans called him( like we had Nipper Thompson) I'm sure he was up there for a few seasons

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kyle DAFC  
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 11:58

Don’t understand the argument that because the commentators are volunteers they can’t be subject to criticism. It is a paid service and anytime you pay for a service that are certain standards you should expect. Overall thought the commentator last night was poor, quite a few wrong facts and didn’t seem to have a great knowledge of the game. Agree that it’s better having a co commentator to discuss things through with. Best commentary so far has to be the Arbroath game - that was entertainment.

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 12:43

Fon Williams is (as others have pointed out) pronounced “Von Williams” as in Welsh the F is pronounced as a V. As in the town Caernarfon is pronounced Caernarvon. But probably because it’s such a common mistake and Owain has never corrected anyone then it’s been allowed to carry on. Either way, thon Fon/Von Williams played well last night. 😉

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 13:13

Fergie was always called Alec up here until he moved south and the `x` was sounded literally. It`s hardly a big deal.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 20:55

The guy annoyed me to begin with, for some reason I can’t put my finger on – possibly just shallow prejudice. The refereeing asides offered an interesting perspective, but he needs to be careful about overdoing it.

Whilst I accept these people are volunteers and amateurs, if we are paying for it we I think we are entitled to a basic level of service (and to be fair, I think every game I have seen so far has provided that).

Of course, the main thing is the video-stream – I can always mute the commentary if I don’t like it. However, I would expect as a minimum from the principal commentator:

• A decent knowledge of football
• A good knowledge of the home team
• Above average communication skills
• A basic knowledge of the visitors (although sometimes this lack can be quite refreshing, as you get an unbiased view – “I like the look of the number 8, whoever he is”)

Andy Bannerman appeared to have done his research (although he seemed to have airbrushed the Jefferies, Potter and AJ eras from history) but he did seem to try to shoehorn this knowledge in sometimes. (Mind you, I never particularly liked Motson when he did similar).

As has been said, the idea should be to enhance the pictures, not to replicate what I can see already. Clearly he was handicapped by not actually being at the game – it’s a cliché, but you need to see the whole pitch sometimes to see what’s going on – how they are lining up, who is being left up at corners, who is warming up behind the goal and so on. He may have been the first (other than Jordan, perhaps) to have had no co-commentator. On balance, I think I prefer the two-handed approach.

I imagine a lot of these guys have been flung into the deep end a little and are on a steep learning curve, having to make their mistakes in public, so we should cut them some slack.

I was going to refrain from commenting on grammar, but since Parfection has commented already, I share his bemusement at the mangling of the past and perfect tenses. Ex-footballers appear to be particularly prone to this for some reason. One might have thought that were you to be a professional communicator, language would be one of the skills to be mastered. But then Mottie always had difficult with some names – one reason I preferred Barry Davies.

I dug a little deeper into the pronunciation aspect. I think the circumflex appears to be important, as it lengthens the vowel. So Fôn is more like Vaughan as in Ralph Vaughan Williams. (As it says in Wikipedia!)

How does he pronounce Owain? Is it O-wayne? Or Owen? Or something in-between?

(I`ve also been bemused by the Alec/Alex change. Is it a Scottish/English thing?)

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 21:00

Quote:

McCaig`s Tower, Wed 30 Dec 20:55

The guy annoyed me to begin with, for some reason I can’t put my finger on – possibly just shallow prejudice. The refereeing asides offered an interesting perspective, but he needs to be careful about overdoing it.

Whilst I accept these people are volunteers and amateurs, if we are paying for it we I think we are entitled to a basic level of service (and to be fair, I think every game I have seen so far has provided that).

Of course, the main thing is the video-stream – I can always mute the commentary if I don’t like it. However, I would expect as a minimum from the principal commentator:

• A decent knowledge of football
• A good knowledge of the home team
• Above average communication skills
• A basic knowledge of the visitors (although sometimes this lack can be quite refreshing, as you get an unbiased view – “I like the look of the number 8, whoever he is”)

Andy Bannerman appeared to have done his research (although he seemed to have airbrushed the Jefferies, Potter and AJ eras from history) but he did seem to try to shoehorn this knowledge in sometimes. (Mind you, I never particularly liked Motson when he did similar).

As has been said, the idea should be to enhance the pictures, not to replicate what I can see already. Clearly he was handicapped by not actually being at the game – it’s a cliché, but you need to see the whole pitch sometimes to see what’s going on – how they are lining up, who is being left up at corners, who is warming up behind the goal and so on. He may have been the first (other than Jordan, perhaps) to have had no co-commentator. On balance, I think I prefer the two-handed approach.

I imagine a lot of these guys have been flung into the deep end a little and are on a steep learning curve, having to make their mistakes in public, so we should cut them some slack.

I was going to refrain from commenting on grammar, but since Parfection has commented already, I share his bemusement at the mangling of the past and perfect tenses. Ex-footballers appear to be particularly prone to this for some reason. One might have thought that were you to be a professional communicator, language would be one of the skills to be mastered. But then Mottie always had difficult with some names – one reason I preferred Barry Davies.

I dug a little deeper into the pronunciation aspect. I think the circumflex appears to be important, as it lengthens the vowel. So Fôn is more like Vaughan as in Ralph Vaughan Williams. (As it says in Wikipedia!)

How does he pronounce Owain? Is it O-wayne? Or Owen? Or something in-between?

(I`ve also been bemused by the Alec/Alex change. Is it a Scottish/English thing?)

You're paying to watch the game and as you point out, you're not paying for the commentator who doesn't get paid at all.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 22:13

The commentary on most feeds has been decent enough but one thing I would say is that sometimes less is more. I know, having done it myself that the tendency is to always want to say something, but often it sounds better to just let something develop and add a few bits and pieces along the way. After all, the viewer can see what`s going on, you don`t need to say something like "Comrie, looks up... plays it down the line for Thomas but the defender clears it for a throw" when the person can see it happening. Radio commentary of course is different and if the audio from the video footage is also being streamed as audio then that`s fair enough (although I don`t think this is happening this season?). I prefer it when they don`t say too much but do give an insight into things the viewer can`t see - how a side is lined up tactically, if wingers have changed sides, if a player looks like he`s taken a knock or if it looks like there is a substitution about to happen. Again, if the commentary team is watching this on a feed (the same one the paying customer is seeing) then that isn`t going to happen.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: East End Boys Are InTown  
Date:   Mon 11 Jan 21:22

End of the day, it`s not professionals doing it, you`re getting to see the match and if you don`t like the commentary you can have the volume down and zoom with your mates that are also watching it to make it feel more like you`re there

I bet you a dollar
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net