DAFC.net
Home 25 January 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Cavani banned
Topic Originator: NikNakPar  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 15:58

Edison Cavani has been banned for 3 games and handed a £100k fine. This relates to his Instagram post.

If he has used that word which means friend in his own language then I think this is outrageous.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Cavani banned
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 16:26

Why did he accept the charge and not contest it ?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 18:15

The Man Utd statement explains the reasons. Looks like a standard ban. But does seem excessive given the actual circumstances

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 18:23

Hard hitting and in depth analysis from the beeb.

"Simon Stone, BBC football reporter

This is a pretty big lesson - not just for Cavani and United but the whole of English football.

There is sympathy for the Uruguayan in what was an innocent personal post. However, there is simply no excuse for not being aware of the wider aspect of the society he is living in - and either he should have been aware, or the club should have made him aware of the offence it could cause."

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 19:08

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Thu 31 Dec 18:23

Hard hitting and in depth analysis from the beeb.

"Simon Stone, BBC football reporter

This is a pretty big lesson - not just for Cavani and United but the whole of English football.

There is sympathy for the Uruguayan in what was an innocent personal post. However, there is simply no excuse for not being aware of the wider aspect of the society he is living in - and either he should have been aware, or the club should have made him aware of the offence it could cause."

" innocent personal post" should be the key sentence here.
Intent is everything.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 19:19

I don't really get this. Effectively he said "thanks black" in Spanish. The Spanish word for black may be similar to the "N word" but it's not the same.

That said, it seems a weird turn of phrase. Do people in Uraguay say "Gracias Blanco"?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 19:30

It seems that a message can be deemed to cause offence even if the person it was directed at didn`t take offence. This is the risk involved in making your private life public. Why not just text each other?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 19:41

We're taught in the office to watch for this sort of thing as it could be someone not in the conversation who takes offence. I know I've had to speak to people in my team due to their language as it could upset others even though it's not directed at them.

This is the curse of social media. I hope it'll be largely dead by the time my kids are old enough to use it. Can you imagine getting a bit of fame in your 20s and someone finds an old post on social media from when you were an idiot teenager saying something mildly offensive to a pal?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 19:52

It happens all the time in politics! Of course, they`ve always matured in the interim and dissociate themselves from their youthful rashness.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 20:33

Quote:

jake89, Thu 31 Dec 19:19

I don't really get this. Effectively he said "thanks black" in Spanish. The Spanish word for black may be similar to the "N word" but it's not the same.

That said, it seems a weird turn of phrase. Do people in Uraguay say "Gracias Blanco"?

Did he intend to offend is the key thing here?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cougared  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 20:58

From what I`ve read, I think it`s ridiculous. One wonders if BBC Radio Scotland are telling their Sportsound commentators and summarisers to refrain from calling Pat Bonner by his usual nickname lest offence be taken by Asian listeners.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: usurpar  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 21:06

This `woke` stuff has gone way too far. Taking offence by proxy is a slippery slope to total censorship, which in turn might well lead to a horrible backlash from the very people it`s meant to deter. I would never knowingly offend anyone and would apologise unreservedly if I inadvertently did, but I would hope that would be the end of it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 21:14

That’s a really good point about pats nickname...

I cringe every time I hear them use it and even if it is his nickname of choice I know I would not be calling him that, especially not on the radio.

You would think someone from the bbc would remind them that word has quite a different meaning and probably memories for a percentage of our population.

On the taking a knee debate, I recalled an incident on the north bridge when I was about 12, and that was the word they used to my pal ( which is probably why it’s so uncomfortable for me to hear it)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 22:32

Twitter will end the world. Get it in the sea

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 22:38

So Cavani, meaning no insult, is being punished whilst Boris Johnson who made comments about Muslim women that were highly offensive continues to run the country.

What happened to the concept of trade union solidarity? The EPL millionaires should be on strike over this persecution. A strike should be called, if Gary Neville has the guts to call for one. But I think he`s waiting for his knighthood.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Jan 02:29

Quote:

sammer, Thu 31 Dec 22:38

So Cavani, meaning no insult, is being punished whilst Boris Johnson who made comments about Muslim women that were highly offensive continues to run the country.

What happened to the concept of trade union solidarity? The EPL millionaires should be on strike over this persecution. A strike should be called, if Gary Neville has the guts to call for one. But I think he`s waiting for his knighthood.

Labour are the red tories is your answer mate.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Fri 1 Jan 05:05

Quote:

DBP, Thu 31 Dec 21:14

That’s a really good point about pats nickname...

I cringe every time I hear them use it and even if it is his nickname of choice I know I would not be calling him that, especially not on the radio.

You would think someone from the bbc would remind them that word has quite a different meaning and probably memories for a percentage of our population.

On the taking a knee debate, I recalled an incident on the north bridge when I was about 12, and that was the word they used to my pal ( which is probably why it’s so uncomfortable for me to hear it)

But his nickname is Packy. . .not meant, spelt or whatever it is you seem to be afraid of.

It's what you and people like you are doing thats wrong imo. Stop looking for offence that just isn't there.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Fri 1 Jan 09:11

Virtue signalling pi5h.

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Fri 1 Jan 10:05

I’m not looking for offence, I’m hearing a word on the radio that takes me back to an incident in my childhood.

For me it just goes to show that words are powerful things (especially as that was my only experience of it, and it wasn’t even thrown directly at me)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Jan 11:20

It's a fine line between banter and offensive.

The way I look at this is that he's used a Spanish term for black. You can't change the Spanish language.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 1 Jan 11:36

I think it`s a bit more nuanced than simply using the Spanish word for black. If an native English speaking white player thanked black person by saying, "thanks Black" how would we feel a out that? Like I said I think there is something else lost in the translation from Spanish to English.

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Jan 12:26

Definitely. In Australia there is a particular commonly used term that those who watched Love Thy Neighbour may remember. Relates to marmalade. Over here that term would raise eyebrows but there is means something different. So someone could use that term meaning no offense but a person in Europe would probably lose their sh*t.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DavieG  
Date:   Fri 1 Jan 12:55

Casilla for Leeds got a much much bigger ban for much the same thing ... no big outrage on here then ... btw i agreed with his ban because as a professional player he should know better ... same for Cavanni

Post Edited (Fri 01 Jan 12:56)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net