DAFC.net
Home 25 January 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Ibrox Disaster
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sat 2 Jan 09:11

50 years ago today 66 people went to a football match and never came home, including 5 young boys from Markinch. You can only imagine what their families and the village went through, a tragic read.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/B0cJMZS3B1/Fiveboys

Post Edited (Sat 02 Jan 09:12)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Ibrox Disaster
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 2 Jan 10:02

Quote:

Par, Sat 2 Jan 09:11

50 years ago today 66 people went to a football match and never came home, including 5 young boys from Markinch. You can only imagine what their families and the village went through, a tragic read.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/B0cJMZS3B1/Fiveboys

I saw the BBC documentary last week. It's appalling that the club took no responsibility for the tragedy, even though there had been several incidents on Stairway 13 in previous years, including two fatalities in 1961. Even worse, one of the directors blamed the fans themselves for their rowdy and boisterous behaviour when it was clearly not the case. Incredibly, several survivors are also of the opinion that the club was not to blame and it was " just one of those things." The BBC journalist opined that, had such a tragedy happened more recently, the Ibrox club would have been bankrupted by compensation payments to the victims families.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Sat 2 Jan 10:15

remember it well i was 13 then was very icy foggy 5boys from markinch died and 2 from kirkie jimmy johnstone scored in 88mins then colin stein equalised in last seconds dont know if fans coming back up caused the crushing my dad was first aid man/bath attendant at cardowan colliery he told me son will be at least 60 dead there were 66 dead pars would have been playing raith that day cant remember our score so sad stairway 13 was nightmare i saw it before it was torn down went with my pals at whisky factory when gers played friendlies v english teams new stadium based on borrusia dortmunds stadium thanks to willie waddell they said wont happen again but it did hillsboro and heysel so they still didnt leatn r.i.p 66 fans

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 2 Jan 10:28

It was an STV documentary (I think) that amongst the chaos mentioned Big Jock being collared by a journalist and asked for his reaction to the result.

Astonishing.

I have absolutely no recollection of who we played that day.

Incidentally, and it’s of no significance considering the tragic events at Ibrox, the Pars escaped relegation that season on goal difference - 6 goals better than St.Mirren.

Post Edited (Sat 02 Jan 10:38)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parahandy  
Date:   Sat 2 Jan 10:47

Raith weren’t in the top flight then. Dunfermline’s game was off that day - I think it was v Hearts at East End. We had lost 2-1 to Cowdenbeath on New Years Day. Cowden drew 2-2 at Easter Road on the day of the disaster which led to their home game v Rangers the next Saturday being postponed

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sat 2 Jan 12:04

Just seen sky sports piece about that day 50 years ago, really respectful and emotional.

RIP 66

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sat 2 Jan 13:34

Parahandy is correct according to Parsdatabase and Londonhearts website. Fixtures were arranged for Friday 1st January and Saturday 2nd January, 1971.
In the case of the Pars this was an away game which we lost 2-1 at Cowdenbeath and a home game v Hearts which was postponed on the day of the disaster.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 10:17

Quote:

sammer, Sat 2 Jan 13:34

Parahandy is correct according to Parsdatabase and Londonhearts website. Fixtures were arranged for Friday 1st January and Saturday 2nd January, 1971.
In the case of the Pars this was an away game which we lost 2-1 at Cowdenbeath and a home game v Hearts which was postponed on the day of the disaster.

Games were regularly played on Jan 1 and 2 in the 60s, except when New Year's day was on a Sunday. It's incredible that players of that era were asked to play twice in 24 hours. Nowadays, managers of elite clubs with big squads complain about having to play twice a week.

I even remember the Pars recording their first ever win at Ibrox on Christmas day, just because it fell on a Saturday. I think there was quite a big crowd, too. That wouldn't happen now.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 10:34

`I even remember the Pars recording their first ever win at Ibrox on Christmas day, just because it fell on a Saturday. I think there was quite a big crowd, too. That wouldn`t happen now.`

25/12/65 - I was there! I think Rangers scored in the first minute but we won
3-2. There was no segregation of fans either so you had to keep your feelings in check.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 10:48

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 3 Jan 10:34

`I even remember the Pars recording their first ever win at Ibrox on Christmas day, just because it fell on a Saturday. I think there was quite a big crowd, too. That wouldn`t happen now.`

25/12/65 - I was there! I think Rangers scored in the first minute but we won
3-2. There was no segregation of fans either so you had to keep your feelings in check.

A family friend went. He wanted to take me but my parents wouldn't let me go. I take it you came back to some cold turkey, after your football induced high at Ibrox? 🙂

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 13:53

I remember my mum not being too pleased when I announced I was going to Ibrox to see the Pars rather than have Christmas dinner with the family but she wasn`t surprised. I went on a supporters` bus with a school pal. Great days!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 14:09

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 3 Jan 13:53

I remember my mum not being too pleased when I announced I was going to Ibrox to see the Pars rather than have Christmas dinner with the family but she wasn`t surprised. I went on a supporters` bus with a school pal. Great days!

Your mum must have been a bit of a soft touch, eck. My mum would have rattled my 12 year old chops with some gusto and if I was still adamant, my dad.... well, let's not go there..... ☹

Tbh, it never crossed my mind to insist on going. Christmas day was one of the few days my parents were off, other than holidays. They worked on a farm and their employer reached an agreement with them to work 7 days a week for a slightly higher wage as he had no one to replace them on their days off. Swanning off to Ibrox on Christmas day would have been regarded as very disrespectful.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 14:47

I was 16 and beginning to have a mind of my own but no disrespect was intended or taken. It was an adventure and all part of growing up.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 15:30

I was just a boy when it happened so never really appreciated the full enormity. Disasters seemed to happen fairly regularly so I guess it was in the same category as Aberfan, or Longhope. Lots of grainy black and white pictures on the Television News and masses of coverage in the newspapers.

At the time, the story was that when Celtic scored people started to leave en masse, only to try to return when Colin Stein equalised and someone stumbled. In those days Sportsreel (as I think it was called) had highlights of one game, and of course it was to have been that game, but obviously they couldn’t broadcast it. I don’t think they even showed the goals for many years.

Looking back now it seems crazy that clubs could get away with what were basically accidents waiting to happen (and, to be honest, that fans seemed comfortable with running such risks). For some reason (I guess it’s a function of age) Bradford, Heysel and Hillsborough seemed much closer.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net