DAFC.net
Home 26 January 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Hearts are not certs for the title.
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 2 Jan 21:18

Well beaten by us and Dundee, and also lost to Alloa. Teams need to stand up to them and they will drop plenty points.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Hearts are not certs for the title.
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Sat 2 Jan 21:20

Bbc trying to pretend they knew it was going to be hard was a good moment tonight. They practically had them on the open top bus with the invincible season.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Sat 2 Jan 22:26

They are such a dislikeable club. Shower of self entitled cretins. As much as I hope the wheels come off for them, I think they can afford the odd defeat like tonight and against us as none of the rest of us are nowhere near consistent enough to mount a challenge.
Having said that let's get absolutely in about them at Tynecastle next time round.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cfad  
Date:   Sat 2 Jan 23:50

1/10 Hearts current odds, thereafter Dundee at 10/1, then us 16/1. Never seen a poor bookie...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 00:25

Some on here were giving them the title at half time of their first game of the season . A day before the rest of the league even kicked off . Experts . Lol !
Not saying they won't win it , but at least let's make them earn it .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlfonzoBonzo  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 00:53

They are dead certs

Show us yer....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 00:56

Quote:

AlfonzoBonzo, Sun 3 Jan 00:53

They are dead certs

Agreed. Everyone else fighting for second.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 01:39

They are absolute dead certs, nailed on to win the league.

In addition, I cannot believe for one second that they won’t strengthen in this window. Where Hearts have struggled is in controlling games against energetic and fluid midfields. Ours, Dundee and Alloas are good examples. People saying Halliday was a good signing for them, I’ve yet to be convinced.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 04:11

We`ve played the same number of games as Hearts yet have lost fewer matches. If we could turn draws into wins, which I think we can, then we will be there at the end.

The next game between us will likely determine whether we spend the rest of the season chasing the title or just a playoff spot. A Pars win and there are just two points between us, a loss and there are eight.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 06:58

There are very few certainties in life, but I`d be very surprised if Hearts aren`t at the top of the pile at the end of the season. Sure they`ll drop more points along the way, but the clubs below them will drop at least as many among themselves and probably more.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 08:52

Hearts beat Alloa 3-0 in the league.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 09:18

Jambos demanding the club weakens the other teams in this "diddy league" by buying up their best players. Genuinely are the east coast version of the OF with that attitude.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc-chris1  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 09:40

Hearts are still odds on to win this league and will probably win it comfortably
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: InschPar  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 10:08

They lost at Alloa in the League Cup.
They have only played 4 league games away from home, 2 wins and 2 defeats.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 10:22

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sun 3 Jan 08:52

Hearts beat Alloa 3-0 in the league.

Yes but they were beaten by them in the cup. Just pointing out that teams at this level, even at the bottom end of this level are capable of beating them.

Post Edited (Sun 03 Jan 10:22)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 10:30

Quote:

AlfonzoBonzo, Sun 3 Jan 00:53

They are dead certs

Thats what they said about Rangers the year Hearts won the championship

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FRED1981  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 11:06

Scruff Nielsen giving the ref stick again cannot take a beating or admit his team was sh@te.

F muller
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 11:22

Dundee started the game last night exactly the same way we did against Hearts, they were right in their faces from the word go and gave no quarter or any semblance of accepting being the underdog

Our game against Hearts at Tynecastle will be our biggest test of the season so far and one in which we should employ exactly the same tactics

Dundee are starting to mount a challenge and can only benefit from us playing Hearts in the next fixture

We need to believe we are capable of fending off the challenge and are worthy contenders, after all we have taken four points from a possible six from Hearts and Dundee to date

I think we will also strengthen in the transfer window and that will give us a lift and help the confidence a bit which I think has dropped a little since the start of the campaign

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 11:27

standard deflection tactic and not the first time hes done it, a few years ago claiming they train with 10 men ahead of any game with Collum in charge because he will always send a Hearts player off...... Collum doing our game with them on the 12th by the way.

they are still certs for the title whether they spend a load of cash this month or not, i think they will though and probably win the league by 10 points or more.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 11:49

Well as much as I think they have to be considered favourites for the title... There's no such thing as a dead certainty. (unless the question is "will a team from Glasgow win the Premiership this season.... Or any other season?")
Just look at Dundee United and how long it took them to get back in the top flight... Folk deemed them a certainty to go back up straight away...that didn't work out too well for them.
Ye just never know eh.
As a very famous prime minister once said...

🤣

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 12:08

Quote:

1970par, Sun 3 Jan 11:22

Dundee started the game last night exactly the same way we did against Hearts, they were right in their faces from the word go and gave no quarter or any semblance of accepting being the underdog

That wasn't how we started the game against Hearts at all though.

Hearts are going to win the league, comfortably. With that in mind last night's results was very bad for us, if we want to get promoted we need to finish second, Dundee are our biggest challengers in that regard.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 12:48

If anyone truly believes Hearts are a certainty, take a secured loan and stick 50k on them. Guaranteed 5k to look forward to.
Any takers?

Post Edited (Sun 03 Jan 12:48)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 13:13

If Charlie Adam was a Dunfermline fan I`d be very optimistic about our chances to win the league. Without him Dundee are a poor team, he is easily the best player in the championship (arguably the best player in Scotland outside the old firm). Look at what happened when he was subbed off against us. We have a decent squad and a player of his quality would make a massive difference to us in being considered as title contenders.

I don`t think we have a chance of winning the league. It would be a miracle if we did. We should be aiming for second/third place. To win the title we would need to start turning draws into wins and that is something we have always struggled to do. That is not being negative, more realistic. We have had a decent season, especially the start and I would be delighted to see us finishing second place.

Post Edited (Sun 03 Jan 13:16)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 13:28

As 1970par says, Dundee employed exactly the right tactics last night; closing Hearts down at every opportunity, particularly in the first half. And frankly, it made Hearts look very ordinary. I expected Wighton to do things for them this season and, well, he was quite hopeless yesterday.
Neilson looked really rattled at the end and he strikes me as the sort of manager who will take it out on the players, which will not be brilliant for their morale. We’ve just got to believe and get stuck in at Tynecastle.
Personally I think Dundee may drop quite a few points between now and the end of the season. Adam is their playmaker and his stamina typically begins to run out early in the second half: usually he is then substituted and with him goes much of the momentum. If he gets injured, which I suspect he’ll be susceptible to, that would be pretty catastrophic for them.
I’m optimistic going into the second third of the season. The team is really starting to gel and SC and the management look to have a good handle on selections, formations and substitutions. Think positive. I believe we could even win this league. But no, Parrot, I’m not putting any money on any predictions!!

Post Edited (Sun 03 Jan 13:38)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 14:00

I think Hearts will win the title but its how you win it that is important. The lessons are in adversity, responding to loses and being gracious in defeat. Supporting and being in a winning team is easy.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 14:20

Would be amazed if Hearts don't win it by a 10-15 point margin.

Utd were a decent team in a poor league last season and cruised it. Hearts look a lot stronger IMO.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 14:24

I also think that Hearts will win the league. Then Dundee will be second and we will be third. If teams want to beat either of them they have to adopt Sean Byrne's tactic, take the best player of the other team out of the game. You would hear that last night the Dundee sponsors man of the match was Sean. That's probably because of his first tackle on Naismith.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 14:39

Quote:

PARrot, Sun 03 Jan 12:48

If anyone truly believes Hearts are a certainty, take a secured loan and stick 50k on them. Guaranteed 5k to look forward to.
Any takers?

The opposite is also true. Away and put £50k on Hearts not to win the league. Easy £5k

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: average white par  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 15:14

India Par, I must say that I find your posts highly enjoyable due to their unwitting diplomacy and well informed tranquility.
However, your post on this thread made me feel like David Carradine in "Kung Fu", and was a bit special...
One of those little cameos that lighten the darkness... Thanks

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 15:22

Quote:

TAFKA_Super_Petrie, Sun 3 Jan 14:20

Would be amazed if Hearts don't win it by a 10-15 point margin.

Utd were a decent team in a poor league last season and cruised it. Hearts look a lot stronger IMO.

Funnily enough I was about to have a look and see if there was a handicap market for the Championship with Hearts -10.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 15:33

Congratulations Hearts ! Pars supporters have awarded you the league .
Maybe we should just not bother going to play them on the 12th . Forfeit the 3 points which they would have undoubtedly have won anyway .
Glad our team have shown a bit more belief in themselves , than some of you wallopers have in them .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 15:57

You're an absolute rocket.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 17:20

Thanks average white par! I think like grasshopper every day is a school day and the pars strike me as a team who are prepared to learn. We may not be as good as Hearts at this stage but we are learning all the time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cfad  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 19:06

Quote:

Parsweep, Sun 03 Jan 15:33

Congratulations Hearts ! Pars supporters have awarded you the league .
Maybe we should just not bother going to play them on the 12th . Forfeit the 3 points which they would have undoubtedly have won anyway .
Glad our team have shown a bit more belief in themselves , than some of you wallopers have in them .

This topic is clearly about who people think will win the league, not who people hope will win the league. The odds don't lie, and if you want a wee lesson, bet with your head, not with your heart. Second place would be a fantastic season for us, first place, very unlikely but a dream still. Walloper.....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 19:14

Well said, cfad

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 19:20

As i said earlier, something like half a dozen full internationals in their team.

Probably like-for-like options when injuries & suspensions kick in whilst everyone else will be fielding kids outside their first 14 or so 'senior' players and more likely than not going to make additions in transfer window.

Added to that a massive sense of injustice and chip on their shoulder over last season to spur them on.

It's not a Hearts love in by any means just trying to be objective and realistic.

If they were still in SPL with Neilson as manager with that squad i don't think for a second they would be down scrapping away with the likes of Hamilton and St Mirren like last year.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."

Post Edited (Sun 03 Jan 19:22)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 19:33

We`ll find out soon enough on 12th Jan. how our respective league positions are likely to pan out.

Post Edited (Sun 03 Jan 19:34)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 19:38

Good post cfad

I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others of whom I made the most careful and particular enquiry.
Thucydides.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 21:03

Quote:

TAFKA_Super_Petrie, Sun 3 Jan 19:20

As i said earlier, something like half a dozen full internationals in their team.

Probably like-for-like options when injuries & suspensions kick in whilst everyone else will be fielding kids outside their first 14 or so 'senior' players and more likely than not going to make additions in transfer window.

Added to that a massive sense of injustice and chip on their shoulder over last season to spur them on.

It's not a Hearts love in by any means just trying to be objective and realistic.

If they were still in SPL with Neilson as manager with that squad i don't think for a second they would be down scrapping away with the likes of Hamilton and St Mirren like last year.

Seriously at your last point?
They look very ordinary to me when faced with an opposition that shows no respect.
Craig Gordon is clearly still class but Naismith is passed it for the top league.

They would struggle big time with that same squad in the Premier.

Maybe that's why they went down....

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 21:17

Well said cfad

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 00:01

They're no that gid.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 00:06

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Sun 3 Jan 14:39

Quote:

Any takers?

The opposite is also true. Away and put £50k on Hearts not to win the league. Easy £5k

No it isnae. They are hot favourites so few would bet against them, but how many would confirm they are dead certs by putting all they have on it?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 00:13

Right so most of us think we are going to be in the top 4. Possibly 2nd if Adam gets injured.

So do we gamble by spending a bit in January to bring in someone who can make a difference if we reach the playoff final (is this the only opportunity to do that) or can we get loans nearer the end of season?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 01:32

Quote:

PARrot, Mon 4 Jan 00:06

Quote:

Quote:

Any takers?

No it isnae. They are hot favourites so few would bet against them, but how many would confirm they are dead certs by putting all they have on it?

Considering the first rule of gambling is don't bet what you can't afford to lose then I think its unlikely anyone on here has a spare £50k to prove a point.

The reverse is true though. If folk are so sure that Hearts won't win the league then you can act as the bookie and give the same odds to make the bet in reverse at the same risk vs reward level.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 04:29

Quote:

londonparsfan, Mon 4 Jan 01:32

Quote:

PARrot, Mon 4 Jan 00:06

Quote:

Quote:

Any takers?

Considering the first rule of gambling is don't bet what you can't afford to lose then I think its unlikely anyone on here has a spare £50k to prove a point.

The reverse is true though. If folk are so sure that Hearts won't win the league then you can act as the bookie and give the same odds to make the bet in reverse at the same risk vs reward level.

Nobody has at any point inferred that Hearts are a cert to not win the league.
The only thing that has been said to be a cert is that they will win the league.

A cert is a cert so either it is no risk to bet 50k on it or it is not a cert....as the title claims.

The amount being wagered is irrelevant.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 10:06

The important thing for the Pars in my view is to get into the playoffs as a minimum. Hearts clearly have more resources at this stage than we do. Financially they need to get back to the premiership in one s3ason. Realistically 2nd or 3rd is our target with finishing top a bonus. The most important thing from my perspective is that if we go up, we have a setup that can keep us up.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 12:04

What are folk seeing it them? Well beaten by Dundee and Scored late on to get a result against arbroath. With the team they have and the wage bill the should be coasting it but that's definitely not the case. If we beat them in the capital puts massive pressure on them.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 12:22

They are 5 points clear after 10 games. They`re on course to win the title by double figures.

What is true is that they are very consistent at home and less consistent away from Tynecastle. However, the home form will be more than enough for them to coast it.

It`s pointless picking out the games where they`ve underperformed. You could easily say that they beat Hibs in the cup, were the equal of Celtic over 120 minutes, put 6 past Dundee, 5 past Ayr, won easily at Cappielow etc, etc.

Point is, it`s over the course of the 27 league games, and they`ll have enough. They were never going to go unbeaten as some pundits seemed to think.

I`d be delighted to be proven wrong and for the Pars to do it edge them out, however.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 12:27

Cammy, for me I see them having a really strong spine in their team and lots of resources for the transfer window.

Spine of Gordon in goals, Berra and Halkett in defence, I really like Kingsley too. Midfield ive already said I think needs work, but with Oli Lee in there he has potential to be a stand out if they can find the right pairing for him (in my mind that’s NOT Halliday). Up front I think you’d be hard pressed to find better strikers than Boyce and Naismith, even given Naismith advancing years. The two games they’ve lost, they’ve lost in midfield. I think they will address that in this window.

They also have a large squad and a big youth compliment on top which will help with numbers as covid takes more impact along with injuries and suspensions. On top of all this, I despise the guy, but in Neilson they have someone who’s won this league twice now. Both occasions by a long stretch.

On the other hand though, this is a shorter season which will favour the underdog. Quality tells over time but while there are just a few points different at the top, then it’s maybe not over and done. For us though, I think Crawford has been taking or playing for draws where he has seen tough away games rather than take the risk and get defeated. There is a science to this approach, not only do you gain a point, but you also stop the opposition getting three. So when against top half teams, you’re pretty much stopping them progress. Ultimately though this means when you have a strong opponent who is winning the majority o their games, you can only come second.

Second suits me fine, it shows great progress in the toughest of seasons. I would fancy us in the playoffs against any of the bottom end premier teams in those one off games. I would fear though that promotion to premier league would be a massive stretch and we would need a huge uplift in investment in playing staff.

Back to Hearts for a second, I’m no a gambling man (honest) but I do think they are as close to a sure thing as you can find these days in sport.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 12:40

The way I Look at it is , in a league you are meant to skoosh, they have already lost twice in 10 games.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 12:51

5 points behind with 17 games left (still to play Hearts) a total of 51 points available I can't believe folk can think its a certainty that hearts will win the league by a canter.

c'mon the pars

Post Edited (Mon 04 Jan 12:52)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 12:56

It`s the number of games they lose over all 27 matches that matter, not the first 10.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 13:24

"The way I Look at it is , in a league you are meant to skoosh, they have already lost twice in 10 games."

They`ve won 80% of their games. No-one else has won over 50% of them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 13:32

There`s no such thing as a certainty in sport. Favourites usually win but not always. That`s how bookies make money.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 13:32

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Mon 4 Jan 13:24

"The way I Look at it is , in a league you are meant to skoosh, they have already lost twice in 10 games."

They`ve won 80% of their games. No-one else has won over 50% of them.

Thats what I was getting at. Hearts can afford the odd iffy result as everyone else is slitting each others throats in the process.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 13:35

Frank, DA-Go, exactly that.

In a sample of three fixtures-

Hearts win 2, lose 1 = 6 points
Dunfermline win 1, draw 2 = 5 points.

We’re still doing really well and we should celebrate that, but in my opinion, should be aiming to consolidate 2nd

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 15:02

Unfortunately Ross, it`s closer to

In a sample of five fixtures-

Hearts win 4, lose 1 = 12 points
Dunfermline win 2, draw 2 lose 1 = 8 points
(last 5 were actually DLDWD - 6 points)

- yes, draws are killing us - but even then, late late goals were responsible for a win and draw there... without those Dundee & Arbroath late goals, it would have been DLLDD, definitely not title winning form...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 15:07

Goals count whenever they are scored in the playing time of 90 minutes. That must be one of the most negative posts ever on this forum - and that`s saying something!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 15:15

Let’s resurrect this thread at the end of the season

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 16:43

Negative post?

Nope - Realistic.

We are scoring (very welcome!!) last minute goals to rescue points against teams below us, including bottom team Arbroath.

We`ve drawn with teams currently placed 3,4,6 & 7 and lost to 5th
Or put it another way, only won ONCE against a team in the top 7 positions...

Yes, Hearts have lost away to 2nd & 3rd, but are slapping all the lower positioned teams. (+10 goal difference on us)

Even if they lost ALL games against both us and Dundee, but won all the rest, they will still romp the league by 15 points.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 16:46

We`ve actually won twice against teams in the top 7...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 17:43

Quote:

Luxembourg Par, Mon 4 Jan 16:43

Negative post?

Nope - Realistic.

We are scoring (very welcome!!) last minute goals to rescue points against teams below us, including bottom team Arbroath.

Yes, Hearts have lost away to 2nd & 3rd, but are slapping all the lower positioned teams. (+10 goal difference on us)

Even if they lost ALL games against both us and Dundee, but won all the rest, they will still romp the league by 15 points.

Not if Dunfermline and Dundee won all their games

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 00:34

HAHAHAAH - the whole point is that we are NOT...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 01:11

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Mon 4 Jan 17:43

Quote:

Luxembourg Par, Mon 4 Jan 16:43

Negative post?

Nope - Realistic.

Not if Dunfermline and Dundee won all their games

Which won't happen. I'm all up for a bit of optimism but to go from a 7th and 6th placed finishes in the Championship in the last 2 seasons and at times worrying whether we were going to be dragged into a Relegation battle to swatting aside Hearts for the League. I can't see it, I would love to see it but as others have said Hearts will strengthen in January and their squad is already significantly better than anyone else. I would take top 4 this season considering where we have been since the mess Johnston left. We are still a work in progress and a couple of injuries and we are struggling imo although I would like to hope we could get a couple of bodies in January.

Awight Pat!

Post Edited (Tue 05 Jan 01:14)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 09:01

Your right it won't happen, but neither will Hearts going rest of season only dropping points to teams starting with a D

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 09:27

Quote:

cammypar 1995, Mon 04 Jan 12:04

What are folk seeing it them? Well beaten by Dundee and Scored late on to get a result against arbroath. With the team they have and the wage bill the should be coasting it but that's definitely not the case. If we beat them in the capital puts massive pressure on them.

On the topic of scoring late goals to beat Arbroath..............
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 09:49

You`re the one that always used to tell us the table didn`t lie, vee. Have you changed your tune? Are you saying the timing of goals has to be taken into consideration? I`m confused.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 10:12

It`s me that`s confused.

A poster referred to Hearts only beating Arbroath by a late goal as an example of their preceived inconsistency.

Did the Pars not win 1-0 against them with O`Hara scoring very late on ?

Whereas Hearts beat Arbroath a few days later 3-1.

Of course league tables don`t lie - that`s why they are five points clear with a significantly better goals for/goal difference column.

We should be focusing on our own performances, not what the Jam Tarts might/might not achieve.

The result on 12th Jan. will put all this into perspective.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 10:30

We don`t need to focus on anything, we`re not players or managers. We are only discussing whether Hearts are "certs" for the title as many within the game are suggesting.

Stop giving us a telling off, we`re not in class.

Post Edited (Tue 05 Jan 12:10)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 10:38

It doesn`t take a genius to work out that, if you extrapolate the results for the first third of the season to the whole season, Hearts will walk away with the league. It is the nature of football though that things seldom turn out that way. One of its fascinations is its unpredictability. I`ve just read that Liverpool haven`t scored a goal in 258 minutes of League football. These games were against Southampton, Newcastle and West Brom. Prior to that they scored 7 against Crystal Palace. Who would have predicted that?

On the question of late goals, I always thought they were a cause for celebration rather than condemnation. Over the years certain clubs have gained a reputation for scoring late, decisive goals - the Old Firm in Scotland, Manchester United in particular in England. They`re usually seen as a plus point - a sign of relentlessness, determination, playing till the final whistle. Some Pars` fans seem to see them as lucky though or as a sign of weakness, a failure to settle a game earlier. It`s something I`ve never understood.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 10:51

Extrapolate.....oooh get you 🤣

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 11:40

"We`re don`t need to focus on anything"

On the contrary, too much attention here on Hearts - we need to look to our own position.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 12:11

It`s called a Football Forum & this is a thread about Hearts. If you don`t like the subject can I suggest politely that you go somewhere else.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 12:23

Here was me thinking the subject was about Hearts chances of winning the league viz a viz the Pars prospects.

With equally good manners - I`ll decline your suggestion.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 12:31

So to summarise, on a thread titled "Hearts are not certs for the title", we`ve not to mention whether or not Hearts are certs for the title & instead just focus on Dunfermline?

Inspired stuff.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 12:46

"They`re no that gid."

No need to say anything further then ?

The oracle has spoken, close thread ?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 12:59

Quote:

da_no_1, Tue 5 Jan 10:30

We don`t need to focus on anything, we`re not players or managers. We are only discussing whether Hearts are "certs" for the title as many within the game are suggesting.

How dare you suggest we are allowed to voice an opinion what do you think this is a fans forum 😉

Nobody is suggesting dunfermline will topple hearts but I don't see anything concrete to say they will coast the league. With the wages they must paying to some of their players if I supported hearts I'd not be best pleased that we are struggling against teams like arbroath and getting turned by dunfermline and dundee.

c'mon the pars

Post Edited (Tue 05 Jan 13:00)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 13:22

They've got an 80% win ratio and are averaging 3 goals a game with 1.3 against.

They're five points clear of second after just over a 3rd of the season and if they win their game in hand over Dundee they'll be 8 clear of the bookies prediction of their main title challengers.

They might have been crap against Arbroath but they still won and although I'm sure they weren't happy about losing to us or Dundee they've already pumped Dundee this season and have another home game against them with a home and away game against us to come.

Who else is going to take points off them? They don't seem to have enjoyed away games on plastic pitches but that's about the biggest negative outside of defeats to us or Dundee. I'd wager being top of the league and running the top flight league champions close in a cup final will have left most jambos pretty happy so far.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 13:23

Quote:

veteraneastender, Tue 5 Jan 12:46

"They`re no that gid."

I contributed to the thread by saying that in my opinion they aren't as good that they can be classed as certs to win the title. That's all.

It's really not that hard to understand.

Post Edited (Tue 05 Jan 13:24)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 13:25

Quote:

cammypar 1995, Tue 5 Jan 12:59

Quote:

da_no_1, Tue 5 Jan 10:30

How dare you suggest we are allowed to voice an opinion what do you think this is a fans forum 😉

Nobody is suggesting dunfermline will topple hearts but I don't see anything concrete to say they will coast the league. With the wages they must paying to some of their players if I supported hearts I'd not be best pleased that we are struggling against teams like arbroath and getting turned by dunfermline and dundee.

Cammy the first part of your post quoting me was actually me replying to someone else.

Post Edited (Tue 05 Jan 13:26)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 13:43

Quote:

da_no_1, Tue 5 Jan 13:23

Quote:

veteraneastender, Tue 5 Jan 12:46

"They`re no that gid."

I contributed to the thread by saying that in my opinion they aren't as good that they can be classed as certs to win the title. That's all.

It's really not that hard to understand.

I agree. We are not at the stage of the season (yet) to state they are dead certs to win the league.
Only 5 points clear of us and the next league match pairs us together.
If we win (and we can), it is only 2 points.

Their confidence might take a knock and go on a bad streak of form while ours soars.
Lots of variables to play out and I hope nobody at the club is writing off our chances and accepting 2nd place as our ultimate goal.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 14:42

Forget Hearts and forget all the other teams. Focus on winning games. That is the only thing we can control.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 14:46

"Lots of variables to play out and I hope nobody at the club is writing off our chances and accepting 2nd place as our ultimate goal"

I don't see any scenario where the club would write off attempting to win the league but if we did finish second I think there would be an acknowledgement that its been a good year and it's a big step forward on previous seasons.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 17:19

I think the debate has to be authentic. I don't think that we are giving in to Hearts, merely expressing a view based on an assessment of the season so far, available resources etc. As professional players and staff it is about focussing on our own team and individual performances each week. Its one game at a time, and I agree that late goals demonstrates resilience, belief, and discipline to keep going to the final whistle. If I were to project back a few years, the club has come a long way in terms of performances on the park, and development of players including the ability to attract potential talent. It bodes well that the players are committing to two year contracts as money isnt the only factor.

I dont see an issue in being realistic about our chances of winning the league. What I find satisfying is that we have improved in all areas of the club and building the foundations to compete in the premiership again. The pressure is all on Hearts. It is sometimes better to chase the leader rather than be out in front at this stage of the season.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net