DAFC.net
Home 25 January 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The Interminable Two Horse Race
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 07:39

Not even the most rabid fan can deny that it`s unhealthy for the same team to win the league season after season, so perhaps we should all be grateful that Celtic`s dominance is finally coming to an end and Rangers are as sure to be crowned champions as Joe Biden is going to be the next President of the USA.

As a football fan, I can`t find it in me to celebrate this wildly when it comes to pass. No doubt the pundits will tell us how good it is that we now have a strong Rangers to challenge Celtic for the title, but the only fans who will relish the prospect of a two horse race every year, are those of the two clubs.

What Scottish football really needs, is a strong Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs and (insert your own selections here.) No doubt a two horse race is better than the one horse version we`ve witnessed in the previous 9 seasons, but when was the last time a team other than Celtic or Rangers were champions? Aberdeen under Fergie. More importantly, when will we see such an event again? Another 35 years? Aye if we`re lucky.

What`s the solution? Clubs who have tried to match the Glasgow clubs by spending outwith their means have gone into administration and almost out of business, so it looks like we`ll be forever stuck with a championship where the highest all but two clubs can aim for is 3rd place or ``best of the rest.``

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The Interminable Two Horse Race
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 09:27

Levelling the playing field by having wage caps would be a start but isn't really feasible as it would need to apply across Europe and we all know teams would find ways around it (free houses, cars etc.).

What could help remove the dominance of the ugly sisters would be to fine them every single time there is sectarian chanting. Start with fines and progress to banning fans from the stadium. Obviously apply this to ALL teams.

This would benefit in two ways - 1. It would reduce funds for the worst offenders (typically Celtic and Rangers) and 2. It would begin to reduce the amount of bigotry in Scottish football.

Another option would be to have an independent review of refereeing in Scotland. There definitely appears to be a bias towards the OF in Scottish football. I'm not necessarily suggesting this is related to special handshakes, but there's potential fear due to the number of fans.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 09:37

The domination of football in a given country by an elite group of clubs is not a peculiarly Scottish phenomenon. A cursory glance at the leagues of some of our European neighbours shows this in quite stark relief.

I am currently 62 years old, and in my lifetime the Scottish league title has been won on only 7 occasions by a team outwith Celtic or Rangers.

In that same period of 62 years, the Portuguese league has been won once only by a team other than Benfica, Porto or Sporting.

In 62 years the Dutch league has been won by Ajax, PSV or Feyenoord on all but 5 occasions.

In GG’s homeland of Italy the Serie A title has gone outwith Turin, Milan and Rome on only 6 occasions in the last 62 years. Even then, FC Torino have won but once and Roman teams on a mere 5 occasions. Essentially, it’s Juve, Milan or Inter.

In Spain, 48 of the last 62 league titles have gone to either Real Madrid or Barcelona.

The (West) German league has, pleasingly, provided a greater array of champions in my lifetime. Even here, 14 of the last 20 have been won by one club - Bayern Munich.

These figures are not definitive, I counted quickly, but they’re accurate enough to make a point, especially as each of these countries, even Portugal, has a population markedly bigger than Scotland. None of this makes the Scottish situation any more palatable, I accept that, but it’s not a reflection on Scottish football alone.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 09:39

Spreading TV/Prize money more evenly would help those outside OF be more competitive.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 09:58

Based on this season we could be set for a one-horse race!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 10:10

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 3 Jan 09:58

Based on this season we could be set for a one-horse race!

Indeed, wee eck. The irony of my thread title had not escaped me. Of course, Celtic may come back from Dubai recharged and invigorated and sweep all before them, while Rangers may reprise their spectacular post-Christmas collapse of recent years, but I wouldn't put any money on it.

Parfection, it's true that a small number of clubs are dominant in many other countries, but they're not our concern and no number of wrongs make a right, in any case. I just think that this phenomenon is particularly acute in Scotland and more worryingly, it's set to remain so. The only Europran country where it's arguably worse now is Germany, where Bayern are so dominant and only BVB have an outside chance of toppling them, once in a blue moon.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 10:36

I wasn`t just referring to this season, GGR! Maybe Rangers are at the start of another 10-in-a-row bid!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 10:39

It will all start to fall apart at Pittodrie on Sunday :)

I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others of whom I made the most careful and particular enquiry.
Thucydides.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 10:45

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 3 Jan 10:36

I wasn`t just referring to this season, GGR! Maybe Rangers are at the start of another 10-in-a-row bid!

Well, who knows? Many a true word.....

Celtic's recruitment has been very poor, in contrast to Rangers. They surely won't get it so badly wrong next season. Barkas, Duffy, Ajeti, Klimlala.... Jings, crivvens and help ma boab!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 11:56

BVB won`t be usurping Bayern any time soon because they keep losing their best players to Bayern. To make it worse they then welcome the same players back with open arms once Bayern have deemed them no longer good enough.

Post Edited (Sun 03 Jan 11:57)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EdmontonPar  
Date:   Sun 3 Jan 17:28

OP STATED -

What Scottish football really needs, is a strong Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs and (insert your own selections here.) No doubt a two horse race is better than the one horse version we`ve witnessed in the previous 9 seasons, but when was the last time a team other than Celtic or Rangers were champions? Aberdeen under Fergie. More importantly, when will we see such an event again? Another 35 years? Aye if we`re lucky.

It is my opinion that as long as the brothers Grimm keep taking the talent from the other clubs, sitting them on the bench except for those winter Tuesday night games v Ross county eat al, there will never be a real challenger.
How many SPL wee team players actually make the grade in Glasgow?

There are the odd 1 or 2 like Scott brown, but the majority just don’t seem to cut it.

So maybe if they stop buying up the players that perform well for the opponent, but who really have no chance of becoming a key player with the Glasgow teams, we will actually see a challenger and some of the so desired competition they moan about when they fail in Europe.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dander par  
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 08:10

Quote:

GG Riva, Sun 03 Jan 07:39

Not even the most rabid fan can deny that it`s unhealthy for the same team to win the league season after season, so perhaps we should all be grateful that Celtic`s dominance is finally coming to an end and Rangers are as sure to be crowned champions as Joe Biden is going to be the next President of the USA.

As a football fan, I can`t find it in me to celebrate this wildly when it comes to pass. No doubt the pundits will tell us how good it is that we now have a strong Rangers to challenge Celtic for the title, but the only fans who will relish the prospect of a two horse race every year, are those of the two clubs.

What`s the solution? Clubs who have tried to match the Glasgow clubs by spending outwith their means have gone into administration and almost out of business, so it looks like we`ll be forever stuck with a championship where the highest all but two clubs can aim for is 3rd place or ``best of the rest.``

More chance of hibs winning the league than joe byeden becoming president of America. Watch Washington on 6th January. 🇺🇸🎺🚄
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 12:38

Rangers and Celtic leaving to go to the English league would be best for both the old firm and the rest of the Scottish league. I know that’s a completely new argument there about whether england would accept them, but in these post covid times....I wouldn’t rule it out!

A Scottish league without the Old Firm would in my opinion really flourish, in its own space. Would we see a Scottish team really take off and be a player in the European competitions? No. But then we don’t have that right now to be fair (despite the decent run of Rangers this season). But domestically I think we would see real growth in the provincial sides and big growth for Hearts/Hibs, one of the Dundee sides, Aberdeen and I do see big potential for us. Imagine a title decider between Hearts and Hibs for example? Wow. The other factor that I think hasn’t been recognised, is that football fans in provincial towns, would not be so keen to leave their home team to support an old firm side, as they no longer have the ability to swan into their local workplace and act the big one after a 5-0’slapping of their local team. While old firm fans will look to the sun and think what if, there will be a heavy dose of reality especially at the start when they are getting pumped 4-0 at home by Burnley....

Should this all go ahead, I have already reserved my seat at the half way line for our 2025/26 premier league winning side to witness the season of all seasons... 😉

A man can dream 💭

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 13:01

England don't want the ugly sisters.
This has been mentioned many a time over the years and it's pie in the sky stuff.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Mon 4 Jan 13:13

As I said in my first paragraph, I wouldn’t rule it out in a post covid world. Thanks for the constructive input though 😉

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 18:30

My only concern would be the lack of TV money. Eg how much do the BBC pay Championship teams.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net