DAFC.net
Home 25 January 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Colin Bell (D)
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 19:40

Manchester City legend Colin Bell has died aged 74 after a short illness, the Premier League club have announced.

The former England midfielder made 492 appearances for City between 1966 and 1979, scoring 152 goals.

"Few players have left such an indelible mark on City," said a club statement.

RIP Nijinsky

Post Edited (Tue 05 Jan 19:42)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Colin Bell (D)
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 20:07

He was a really classy player. I always dreaded his name coming up in an England team against Scotland. I’m sorry to hear that he’s passed away. RIP.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 20:14

Terrific player. Another one away
RIP Colin.

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 21:03

Paul Dickov summed it up pretty well:

Devastated to hear of passing of Colin Bell...One of the greatest if not THE greatest player to ever wear the City shirt & more than anything the nicest & most humble man you could ever meet. Thoughts, love & prayers to all the Bell family 💙 RIP Legend 💙

Proper legend. RIP.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 21:12

Tackled like a right half, carried the ball like an inside forward, and finished like a striker. One of the great box to box midfielders of the late 1960s early 1970s along with Martin Peters.

An enduring myth of English football is that by substituting Bobby Charlton when 2-0 up against West Germany at the Mexico WC in 1970 Alf Ramsey cost them the game. The truth is that the score was 2-1 when 33 year old Charlton, who’d had a quiet game, was replaced by Bell who then emerged as England’s best player in the time remaining time plus extra time. Bell lifted the whole team effort and even had a goal, probably wrongly, disallowed. Ramsey took off Charlton because he realised the Germans were taking control of the game.

Bell’s reputation never really recovered from Gunter Netzer’s visit to Wembley in 1972 when he was part of a midfield torn to shreds by a superior West German team. In the public eye Bell was then seen as a man who had surrendered twice to the Germans although Ramsey, a man cautious to a fault, played no defensive midfield player to shackle Netzer on that evening. As a result Bell came to be viewed as an old fashioned type of midfielder although at the 1974 WC the flamboyant Netzer was sidelined and the outstanding midfielder in the tournament was the irrepressible Neeskens, a player who played in the same style as Bell.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 23:33

Apart from any Pars players he was my favourite player when I was a youngster. I remember Typhoo tea would post you pictures of football players when you collected tokens from their box.Collected required amount and got my Dad to post them, chose Colin Bell. Think there were about twenty players to choose from. Still got the picture to this day. R.I.P Colin.

Post Edited (Tue 05 Jan 23:51)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Wed 6 Jan 10:42

RIP Colin.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 6 Jan 11:53

Sammer's tribute sums Bell up very accurately. He was a true leader, in the mould of Bryan Robson and Roy Keane, only more skilful. United had Best, Law and Charlton, City had Bell, Lee and Summerbee, who didn't need to feel inferior for they enjoyed their fair share of success.

Not many former players get a stand named after them while they're still alive.

RIP Colin.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 6 Jan 12:02

Again another great who never got to fulfil his career due to a serious injury

I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others of whom I made the most careful and particular enquiry.
Thucydides.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mcfc-par  
Date:   Wed 6 Jan 16:18

A sad day for all City fans, Colin was the fulcrum of City's successful team of the late 60s, early 70s. As well as his footballing ability his fitness levels were such that he would have had no trouble fitting into the modern game. I've been lucky to see live the careers of two outstanding midfielders in Colin Bell and David Silva - both very humble and modest men who let their football speak for itself.

Sammer, thanks for your comments about the West Germany match in 1970, it irritated me how much emphasis in the post mortem was put on the substitution of Bobby Charlton, who was clearly exhausted in the heat and altitude.

RIP and thanks for some wonderful memories.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 6 Jan 16:53

A great player in a great team.

R.I.P.

Post Edited (Thu 07 Jan 16:49)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 6 Jan 17:57

Quote:

mcfc-par, Wed 6 Jan 16:18

A sad day for all City fans, Colin was the fulcrum of City's successful team of the late 60s, early 70s. As well as his footballing ability his fitness levels were such that he would have had no trouble fitting into the modern game. I've been lucky to see live the careers of two outstanding midfielders in Colin Bell and David Silva - both very humble and modest men who let their football speak for itself.

Sammer, thanks for your comments about the West Germany match in 1970, it irritated me how much emphasis in the post mortem was put on the substitution of Bobby Charlton, who was clearly exhausted in the heat and altitude.

Well said, mcfc. I predict that, if he sticks around for a few more years, you'll add Kevin de Bruyne to your Top 3.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DrumRoad  
Date:   Thu 7 Jan 11:00

I remember him from my 1970 Esso World Cup Coin collection (England squad) otherwise I was to young to have followed his career

He obviously made a big enough impression in my early years for me to have remembered I had this memento with him in it

2015/16 League one Winners
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 7 Jan 16:21

Quote:

mcfc-par, Wed 6 Jan 16:18

I remember reading at the time that some strong running players like Bobby Charlton lost as many as 10 pints of sweat during games played in the ferocious mid day heat and there were no breaks for drinks back then, so it's hardly surprising that Charlton was shattered when he was substituted. The insinuation that Bell cost England the game was the figment of some journalist's feeble imagination.

Peter Bonetti, drafted in for Gordon Banks who went down with food poisoning, was distraught after the game. He was an excellent goalkeeper in his own right, but he had an off day and Banks would almost certainly have done enough to see England into the semi-final after taking a 2-0 lead. I know I'm not alone in suggesting that England had a better team at Mexico 70 than they did in 66.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Thu 7 Jan 23:03

Rodney Marsh recalled of the time during a game when City headed a ball off the line that reached Mike Summerbee who proceeded to tank down the wing, put a cross in that was met with a bullet header that put City ahead. Yes, the person who headed off the line and ended up scoring at the other end was Colin Bell

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net