DAFC.net
Home 18 April 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 EPL Title Race
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 13 Jan 07:09

The Battle at the top of the Premiership looks like being the closest for a number of years, with several clubs in contention. On another thread, our own Paralex is trumpeting the claims of Man U, currently 3 pts clear, in spite of some spectacular home defeats earlier in the season.

The bookies are seldom wrong, as we all know and they have Man City as odds on favourites, followed by Liverpool and Man U, with Spurs as an outside bet and Leicester as a very long shot. It would be a major shock if the title went to a club outside of this group.

Of course, the reason the leading clubs are so closely bunched is because none of them have been able to put together a consistent run of form and results, like Liverpool did last season. Man City look like the club best equipped to put a good run together in the second half of the season, although the odds being offered are extremely mean. Liverpool have been unlucky with injuries, principally to Virgil and Klopp is showing signs of strain. No such signs from Ole, but his side are not playing football of the same quality as their city neighbours and were outclassed in the recent derby. Spurs are still a work in progress and they'll probably be happy with a CL spot, as will Leicester.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: EPL Title Race
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 13 Jan 09:10

That sums it up perfectly G.G. for me Man City look the team to beat right now
Big game Liverpool v Man U Sunday

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Wed 13 Jan 09:54

Quite taken by spurs this year. What a player Son is, a joy to watch. If they can get Bale on the boil, they might not be outsiders. Generating a lot of good PR and goodwill too with how they are conducting themselves as a club.

Admin.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 13 Jan 10:21

City are favourites and rightly so.

They are within touching distance, despite having no strikers for a number of weeks, and recently, have clicked into top gear, with KDB pulling the strings.

When you consider who they have to call on or who have not been used recently - Aguero, Jesus, Laporte, Ederson, Walker, Ake, Fernandinho, Silva, Torres and Mendy, they are going to take some stopping.

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jbob  
Date:   Wed 13 Jan 11:08

Not a betting man but I think spurs might have a chance

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Wed 13 Jan 12:00

I have little to no time for Man U but can't see anyone else winning the league

Jbob I would love to see spurs win the title

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.

Post Edited (Wed 13 Jan 12:03)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kozmasrightfoot  
Date:   Wed 13 Jan 15:13

I don`t like man u but I like Ole so best of luck to them. I can`t see them winning the title. For me it`s man City, Liverpool with the mourhino effect making spurs my third favourite.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 14 Jan 01:42

City are a shadow of the team they had a couple of years ago.Even though they have turned results around recently they no longer put teams to the sword.1-0 wins over Brighton and Southampton, a 2-0 win over Newcastle and 1 all draw with West Brom-a couple of years ago they would have been scoring 3 and 4 against these teams. Silva, Sane and Kompany have been replaced by inferior players imo(not saying they were easy to replace).Aguero is injury prone these days and they have no strength in depth up front. Bernardo Silva and Sterling aren`t performing to the standards they were previously and even KDB has been pretty quiet on the whole this season relatively speaking.All that being said I think they or Liverpool will win it albeit with a reduced margin compared to recent seasons.In the space of 5 games from 6th Feb City are away to Liverpool and Arsenal and also play Spurs, Man Utd and West Ham so that should give a good indication as to where the title will end up.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 17 Jan 21:05

Ominous for the rest of the league as City cruise to a 4 goal win

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sun 17 Jan 23:52

Have to agree with GG that Man City are now looking the part. Their early season form was well below their previous standards but they look like they`ve got that out of their system. They are the team scoring the spectacular goals just now whereas Liverpool have lost all inspiration up front. Their form could dip but when Pep has the well oiled machine running like it is now, past experience tells us that it seldom breaks down. Man Utd are doing well and have excellent individuals but they`re not quite the formidable unit that Man City seem to be. They destroyed Crystal Palace tonight.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 17 Jan 23:52

Kevin De Bruynes cross for the first goal..... unbelievable

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Mon 18 Jan 00:05

Quote:

da_no_1, Sun 17 Jan 23:52

Kevin De Bruynes cross for the first goal..... unbelievable

Best player in the League by a mile.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 18 Jan 00:31

Palace are honking-did they not ship 7 to Liverpool the other week? They are on an ever growing list of unwatchable teams in the EPL this season-no ambition whatsoever-even more so with no Zaha. Burnley,Newcastle,Wolves,West Brom and Sheffield United have been largely unwatchable this season with the odd exception imo.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 18 Jan 01:34

Quote:

parathletic, Thu 14 Jan 01:42

City are a shadow of the team they had a couple of years ago.Even though they have turned results around recently they no longer put teams to the sword.1-0 wins over Brighton and Southampton, a 2-0 win over Newcastle and 1 all draw with West Brom-a couple of years ago they would have been scoring 3 and 4 against these teams. Silva, Sane and Kompany have been replaced by inferior players imo(not saying they were easy to replace).Aguero is injury prone these days and they have no strength in depth up front. Bernardo Silva and Sterling aren`t performing to the standards they were previously and even KDB has been pretty quiet on the whole this season relatively speaking.All that being said I think they or Liverpool will win it albeit with a reduced margin compared to recent seasons.In the space of 5 games from 6th Feb City are away to Liverpool and Arsenal and also play Spurs, Man Utd and West Ham so that should give a good indication as to where the title will end up.

A shadow of the team they were? That’s harsh.
They are not as free flowing but then they have played with no striker for pretty much all of the season. Jesus is not good enough and will surely be shipped out in the summer?

What has made the difference this season is that they don’t need to score three or four goals to win games. There is a solidity about them now which means they can grind out results if they are not completely at it.

Pep should be praised for tweaking the style of play this season and rotating sensibly.
Klopp hasn’t and his team are suffering now and have been found out, to a certain extent, especially the strike force.
Of course, Van Dyke has been a huge miss but it’s not really a leaky defence that has been the cause of their troubles

Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Mon 18 Jan 01:35)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 18 Jan 08:25

Spot on Raymie ...they are hitting form at the right time ...If they win their game in hand they go top and I think will stay there

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Mon 18 Jan 09:57

Did Man City ever lose form?

They have done fantastic handling the amount of injuries etc they’ve had to deal with, although if you could pick a club that’s best capable of handling such a scenario it would be City.

If you look at their previous results they have won the last eight, unbeaten in fifteen!

Draws included WBA, Man Utd, Porto and Liverpool.

Last loss away to Spurs in November.

Only the WBA result I would truly consider as a blip.

If that run counts as off form then Man City will stroll this league when they hit peak.

Post Edited (Mon 18 Jan 09:59)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 18 Jan 12:03

It was meant more as a compliment of their team of a couple of years ago rather than a take down of their current team. I think the overall standard of the league has been poor this season imo. I look around them and not many players have reached the peak of their powers this season?-ominous for the rest of the league. Cancelo has been decent, in fairness the much lambasted Walker has been ok and the keeper has been solid too. I`ll add in Stones and Gundogan who have good runs recently but untested against top opposition as yet. KDB has a touch of class but not as influential as last couple of seasons imo. Sterling more cold than hot, Bernardo Silva looked undroppable a season or 2 ago but hasn`t done much, Jesus goes missing often in games and Aguero who has been a great servant is out of contract at end of the season and sadly injuries appear to be catching up with him.
They have a favourable run of fixtures next but the acid test comes next month when in the space of 28 days they play Liverpool(a), Spurs(h), Arsenal(a), M`gladbach(a), West Ham(h), Man United (h). Of course they could win all of those games if everyone is fit but they have already dropped points to all of those teams with the exception of Arsenal who knocked them out of the cup after the resumption. They will do well to come through unscathed with one fit striker. The good news for them is nobody else looks like going on a run currently.The outcome of the league may depend on who is still in Europe come the latter stages. Chuck in the unknown of Covid and I wouldn`t be backing them at odds on although they would be my selection if pushed.

Post Edited (Mon 18 Jan 12:43)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 18 Jan 12:59

With so many dotnetters now tipping City for the title, I reckon mcfc and lpf will be be feeling more than a bit nauseous. 🙂

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 18 Jan 14:10

"If that run counts as off form then Man City will stroll this league when they hit peak."

13th end of October
11th end of November
8th end of December
1st end of January looks likely as the play Aston Villa, West Brom and Sheffield next 3 league games

What I did not take into account Berry was that these league positions were with 1 or 2 games less played than the teams at the top so probably they would have been in the mix

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 18 Jan 14:34

Quote:

Buspasspar, Mon 18 Jan 14:10

"If that run counts as off form then Man City will stroll this league when they hit peak."

13th end of October
11th end of November
8th end of December
1st end of January looks likely as the play Aston Villa, West Brom and Sheffield next 3 league games

What I did not take into account Berry was that these league positions were with 1 or 2 games less played than the teams at the top so probably they would have been in the mix

To be fair City's fixtures into February and early March are really tough. Far from over.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 18 Jan 17:12

Quote:

GG Riva, Mon 18 Jan 12:59

With so many dotnetters now tipping City for the title, I reckon mcfc and lpf will be be feeling more than a bit nauseous. 🙂

We can live with the pressure of .Nets expectations 😉
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 22:37

Looks like Liverpool have blown it tonight. It`s going to be a long hard struggle to make up the ground. In saying that Burnley are no pushovers but the costly dip in form could prove fatal.

Post Edited (Thu 21 Jan 22:38)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 22:43

Klopp making an @rse of himself yet again. T1t

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 22:51

If the two Manchester teams can live up to recent promise the title race is between them with Leicester, Spurs and Liverpool with an outside chance. As things stand Man City are favourites but I have to say that my preference is United.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 23:02

Quote:

Paralex, Thu 21 Jan 22:51I have to say that my preference is United.

Wash your mouth out!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 23:29

I think injuries are hugely important in any team being successful. Liverpool had a pretty fixed 11 last season. The year Leicester won it their team changed little throughout the campaign. You could almost name the 11 every week.

This year Liverpool are struggling with a number injured and out of form. Will be very surprised if they win it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Fri 22 Jan 00:43

Liverpool have been incredibly lucky with injuries in recent years. This year, their complete lack of squad depth is seriously showing
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Jan 07:42

I have no great affection or antipathy for any English team, although I enjoy the football played by some more than others.

Most neutrals will agree that it's not great for the same club to win their domestic league year after year, so while I was pleased for Liverpool fans to see their team deservedly win it last season, I'll be equally happy to see another team win it this time.

I still think Man City are the team to beat but the CL could be a distraction for them.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 22 Jan 08:15

Yeah I think only the champions league can distract City from winning the league. Would love to be wrong but I don`t think Utd can do what they need to do in the big games. So long as it`s not Liverpool then I`ll be happy.

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kechal7  
Date:   Fri 22 Jan 09:20

The One Who Knocks wrote:

> Yeah I think only the champions league can distract City from
> winning the league. Would love to be wrong but I don`t think
> Utd can do what they need to do in the big games. So long as
> it`s not Liverpool then I`ll be happy.
>
>

Only Liverpool have a better recent record v the "big six" so I don`t think that`ll be their downfall. I think if they can avoid their usual blips against some of the lesser teams then they stand as good a chance as any

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Jan 09:26

I don`t know. Thinking about this season they have failed to beat City, Liverpool, Leicester and Chelsea and were beaten by Arsenal and Spurs.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kechal7  
Date:   Fri 22 Jan 09:32

The two defeats were probably the worst performances of the season. But they`re finding their feet now. Will know better after the next 4/5 games

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Jan 15:21

The odds on Man City have just eased..... and with good reason.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55769661

De Bruyne must be at least as valuable to City as Virgil is to Liverpool.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Jan 15:49

No doubt he will me missed but they have very decent replacements

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Jan 15:52

Vardy out now for a spell to have a hernia operation. That will probably put paid to any ambitions Leicester may have had for a title push.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Fri 22 Jan 16:17

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 22 Jan 15:21

Not by much though. City 2/5 Man Utd 11/2 Liverpool 8/1.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Jan 16:24

Bernardo Silva had the best spell of his City career when he was covering for KDB although he did seem to form an excellent relationship with David Silva so it remains to be seen if he can do the same with whoever plays.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mcfc-par  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 16:02

Quote:

allparone, Fri 22 Jan 16:17

Quote:

Tbh GG I don't think KdB has been at his best so far this season, he's only scored one goal from open play. Clearly there may be a drop off in creativity in his absence but Bernardo Silva is showing signs of getting back to his level of two seasons ago. Biggest problem is in front of goal, even a half fit Aguero would have put away some of the missed chances in recent games.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Jan 10:49

Quote:

mcfc-par, Sat 23 Jan 16:02

Quote:

allparone, Fri 22 Jan 16:17

Quote:

Tbh GG I don't think KdB has been at his best so far this season, he's only scored one goal from open play. Clearly there may be a drop off in creativity in his absence but Bernardo Silva is showing signs of getting back to his level of two seasons ago. Biggest problem is in front of goal, even a half fit Aguero would have put away some of the missed chances in recent games.

He may not have hit the highs of previous seasons, mcfc, but he's the player most likely to win a close game for City, with his uncanny, defence splitting passing. With him missing, Bernardo and Co will have to up their game, to ensure the team doesn't lose any ground. If Liverpool keep shooting themselves in the foot, that'll narrow the contenders down to four - City, United, Leicester and Spurs.

Eta. Allparone, when I said the odds on City would be easing, I was meaning in a metaphorical sense, not those quantified by the bookies.

Post Edited (Sun 24 Jan 10:51)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 28 Jan 01:38

It took another crazy turn tonight with Man Utd getting beaten at home to Sheffield Utd.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Thu 28 Jan 07:15

I’m no lover of Man City but Phil Foden looks like something special - football is meant to be an entertainment and there are some great youngsters coming through down South at the moment - I would watch any game I knew either Foden or Jack Grealish was playing in (with James Maddison not far behind).

Andy J
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 28 Jan 08:08

Quote:

AJ27, Thu 28 Jan 07:15

I’m no lover of Man City but Phil Foden looks like something special - football is meant to be an entertainment and there are some great youngsters coming through down South at the moment - I would watch any game I knew either Foden or Jack Grealish was playing in (with James Maddison not far behind).

I just like watching any players who play good football, AJ and don't care who they play for. The 3 players you mention certainly come in to that category. There's no question Man City are the form team at the moment and their favourites tag is justified, although the bookies odds are hardly generous. They are playing attractive, winning football, while their main rivals are relatively inconsistent, dropping points left, right and centre.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 28 Jan 08:46

I'm still chuckling at the Blades 2nd goal, it was like a training ground exercise where cones are put out to represent opposition defenders and you pass the ball around them.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 28 Jan 09:10

mcfc-par The cones would have won ......:)

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Feb 07:58

Another round of matches, another stumble by one of the title contenders, this time Man U throwing away 2 pts, in Fergie time ironically. With City's winning run showing no signs of ending, there's a real danger the race will turn into a procession.

In another ironic twist, every Man U fan will be rooting for Liverpool this afternoon. 🙂

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Feb 08:11

No chance of that GG. Like you say the title is done for Utd. Just too inconsistent. Need a couple of positions with better players. No it`s more important now to shore up a top four place and that means seeing Liverpool put to the sword. Anybody but Liverpool is the mantra for most Utd fans anyway. Liverpool are Utds footballing arch rivals whereas City aren`t.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Feb 09:11

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sun 7 Feb 08:11

No chance of that GG. Like you say the title is done for Utd. Just too inconsistent. Need a couple of positions with better players. No it`s more important now to shore up a top four place and that means seeing Liverpool put to the sword. Anybody but Liverpool is the mantra for most Utd fans anyway. Liverpool are Utds footballing arch rivals whereas City aren`t.

Oh dear... I'm going to amend my previous post. Most United fans will be rooting for Liverpool to halt City's winning run.

The title is done for United? I wonder what Fergie would make of that statement? How many points are they behind City? I seem to remember a team managed by Keegan being some 12 furlongs in front with just a couple of fences left to jump. What happened to them?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Feb 11:02

Logically you are correct GG but logic flies out the window when it comes to the thought processes and emotions of a football fan. I think you`d be surprised at how many Utd fans would rather see City win today. In fact I reckon they would be in the majority.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Feb 11:39

There's a smaller but increasing number of City fans that think the same in reverse and would rather see United win it rather than Liverpool.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 14 Feb 19:20

The bookies have decided - not surprisingly- that it's all over. City are now 1/25 and United are second favs at 50/1 after dropping another 2 pts v West Brom today.

While Man U famously overhauled a 12 pt deficit separating them from Kevin Keegan's Newcastle, City are far less fragile than that Toon team and will surely not be caught now.

The relegation places are almost equally decided, with a 10 pt gap to 17th placed Newcastle. We're only halfway through February and only 3 CL places are still up for grabs. What will the TV pundits have to talk about?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 14 Feb 19:50

VAR
Pogba injury
VAR
Mourinho sacking
VAR
Grealish v Maddison
VAR
Diving
VAR

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 14 Feb 22:17

Quote:

londonparsfan, Sun 7 Feb 11:39

There's a smaller but increasing number of City fans that think the same in reverse and would rather see United win it rather than Liverpool.
These people should be hunted down and publicly humiliated.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 14 Feb 23:07

I've never seen angry mcfc before 😂
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Feb 12:15

They think it`s all over....

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Feb 18:49

West Ham in European territory as we speak .. well done David Moyes
If Chelsea win tonight Liverpool drop down to 6th .... ooer mrs

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Feb 20:31

Quote:

Buspasspar, Mon 15 Feb 18:49

West Ham in European territory as we speak .. well done David Moyes
If Chelsea win tonight Liverpool drop down to 6th .... ooer mrs

Liverpool are going through a very poor spell, but they have enough quality and a good manager, so I'd expect them to make the top 4. Leicester, Man U and Chelsea fighting for the other 2 places, imo.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Feb 20:39

Quote:

GG Riva, Sun 14 Feb 19:20

The bookies have decided - not surprisingly- that it's all over. City are now 1/25 and United are second favs at 50/1 after dropping another 2 pts v West Brom today.

While Man U famously overhauled a 12 pt deficit separating them from Kevin Keegan's Newcastle, City are far less fragile than that Toon team and will surely not be caught now.

The relegation places are almost equally decided, with a 10 pt gap to 17th placed Newcastle. We're only halfway through February and only 3 CL places are still up for grabs. What will the TV pundits have to talk about?

Wouldn't say the Relegation issue is decided yet. Fulham have a favourable run of games coming up and got a good result at Everton last night. Equally Newcastle have looked hopeless for the majority of the season so that 7 point lead could go in no time.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Feb 20:50

Chelsea resurgence continues Liverpool now in 6th .... Ason Villa 2 games in hand could the Pool end up in 7th ?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Feb 07:57

Reading back through this thread, which I started some 5 weeks ago, is quite revealing about how unpredictable football can be. Of course, a lot of games have been played since then and Man City have won every game since, to pull well clear of the stumbling, rather than chasing, pack.

Before I get too smug about my prediction, it's worth remembering that I also suggested, further down, that the relegation places were practically done and dusted. Fulham's recent resurgence has seen a seemingly massive 10 pt gap, cut to 3. If I was a Newcastle fan, I'd be seriously worried about the their chances of staying up. There's no doubt who Toon fans hold responsible for this. Mike Ashley has never been popular on Tyneside. Despite his massive wealth, he's always been reluctant to invest significantly in the club, seemingly happy to keep taking the TV money and hover just above the relegation trapdoor.

The trouble with a trapdoor is that, sooner or later you'll fall through it......

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sun 21 Feb 10:16

“The trouble with a trapdoor is that, sooner or later you'll fall through it......”

A fact that Newcastle fans know all too well. Since Ashley took charge they have been relegated twice but won the championship twice to go straight back up. It’s not so much the trapdoor that’s the worry for them but the chance that going down will not always see them go straight back up. A look over to their fierce rivals on Wearside will fill them with fear.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Feb 10:34

It's a shame Liverpool have already hit the 40 point mark 😉
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Feb 11:09

Don`t worry GG days Liverpool have too much quality and too good a manager not to make the top four.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Feb 12:12

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sun 21 Feb 11:09

Don`t worry GG days Liverpool have too much quality and too good a manager not to make the top four.

😃😃 OK, I'll bite, TOWK.

I'll stick to that belief, with the get out clause that if they keep collecting more injuries every week their quality is going to become so diluted as to be non existent and even a top manager like Klopp can't make a silk purse from a pig's ear.

You may remember I said United had missed the board, not once but twice, when they failed to land either Klopp or Pep. The replies on here were less than complimentary, but they have both improved their respective teams significantly. The taunts of Herr Flopp from United fans gradually became more muted as he built a tremendous side which, together with City, have dominated English football for several years now. Would you not, with the benefit of hindsight, have taken either Pep or Klopp over Davie Moyes, Van Gaal, Jose or Ole?

I wonder if United fans might consider Jordan Pickford for their PotY award, a la Hibs fans, who voted for Albert Kidd of Dundee in '86. 🙂

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Feb 12:19

Currently if games go against them, Flopp and Liverpool will drop below both Everton and villa, out of the top 7 and out of Europe. Things you'd love to see
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Feb 12:33

Klopp is a tremendous manager I must admit. However his brand of high octane football can`t be sustained in perpetuity. The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long. Klopp`s time is coming to an end much in the way it did at Dortmund before he took his sabbatical. He had been incredibly fortunate with injuries the previous three seasons and now its catching up with him and his team.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Feb 16:00

"Klopp is a tremendous manager I must admit. However his brand of high octane football can`t be sustained in perpetuity. The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long. Klopp`s time is coming to an end much in the way it did at Dortmund before he took his sabbatical. He had been incredibly fortunate with injuries the previous three seasons and now its catching up with him and his team."

Or maybe, just maybe, Klopp`s been incredibly unfortunate to suffer so many injuries to key players this season?

I don`t think you can blame "high octane football" for some of the most significant injuries Liverpool players have suffered this season, unless the Everton goalie comes into that category. :-)

"Currently if games go against them, Flopp and Liverpool will drop below both Everton and villa, out of the top 7 and out of Europe. Things you`d love to see."

Are you really that sad, Andrew? Why would the misfortunes of an English club, 100s of miles from Dunfermline, make you gloat. Schadenfreude must be one of the lowest of human emotions. :-(

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Sun 21 Feb 17:09

I`ve got to be honest. Seeing Liverpool and Man utd getting gubbed always cheers me up. It`s because they`ve so many plastic fans who claim to support them but haven`t been to see them and have no connection to either city. I used to work beside a Liverpool fan who said "we" when talking about them and slagged Dunfermline. Funnily enough he only watched them on Tele.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JazzyJamis  
Date:   Sun 21 Feb 18:09

"Or maybe, just maybe, Klopp`s been incredibly unfortunate to suffer so many injuries to key players this season?"

Whilst Liverpool have suffered a massive amount of injuries this season, during their great run over the past 2-3 years they`ve very much benefitted from having no major injuries at all to any of their big players. Unlike pretty much every other team in the league.

Even before the Van Dijk injury, Liverpool have looked vulnerable

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Feb 19:42

City have played most of a season with no recognised striker and are still strolling it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Feb 21:30

Final positions:-

Man City
Man Utd
Leicester
Chelsea

Would rather see West Ham 4th but think it will be Chelsea.

Liverpool will struggle to make Europa league.

Post Edited (Sun 21 Feb 21:31)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Feb 21:58

Quote:

Andrew283, Sun 21 Feb 19:42

City have played most of a season with no recognised striker and are still strolling it.

True, but City have a robust and talented squad, so good that they can do without a recognised goalscorer - they all chip in.

That's quite a bit different from losing your best, talismanic defender, followed by a succession of others playing in that position. I do think it was a mistake by Klopp to weaken his midfield and play the likes of Henderson and Fabinho in the back four, but I can understand why he did it.

When City lost LaPorte to a long term injury their results were quite iffy. Virgil is at least as important to Liverpool. With hindsight, Liverpool should have brought in a quality central defender in January.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 4 Mar 21:33

With rumours of Klopp taking the German national team managers job, do you think Stevie G will disappear in a cloud of dust!🤔🤭🤣🤣🤣
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Mar 23:24

His team is burned out. No plan b.
Chelsea strolled it

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 07:25

Is it just me who finds watching city boring? Efficient yes but entertaining no.

I`d rather be at an Aled Jones concert.

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 08:14

Agree with Jbob , but why stop at Man City?
I find the whole epl circus boring , and very rarely watch a match in ot's entirety .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 10:02

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Thu 4 Mar 21:33

With rumours of Klopp taking the German national team managers job, do you think Stevie G will disappear in a cloud of dust!🤔🤭🤣🤣🤣

I can't see Klopp walking away after such a dismal season compared to the previous two - his pride wouldn't let him leave Liverpool at such a low point. If he did, there's no way Gerrard would be able to resist the call from Anfield any more than Souness could and he'd already enjoyed a lot of success at Ibrox and could have carried right on winning trophies.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 10:27

Quote:

Jbob, Fri 5 Mar 07:25

Is it just me who finds watching city boring? Efficient yes but entertaining no.

I`d rather be at an Aled Jones concert.

I'm absolutely gobsmacked by your post, Jbob, but you're not alone, as Parsweep is another in your camp and he finds the whole EPL boring.

I couldn't disagree more. I love watching any team with technically gifted players who play precise, sophisticated football and City certainly come into that category. I also like the football played by Leeds and Leicester this season and the football played by Liverpool and Wolves in previous seasons. On the continent, the current Bayern team and Guardiola's Barcelona definitely deserve a mention.

There are some clubs in the lower half of the EPL who would get football stopped right enough - Crystal Palace being the worst offenders.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 10:36

I agree re Leicester and Leeds.

Palace should be relegated brutal

Man city it`s like chess with a ball.

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 11:24

Quote:

Jbob, Fri 5 Mar 10:36

I agree re Leicester and Leeds.

Palace should be relegated brutal

Man city it`s like chess with a ball.

I'm glad we agree on something. 🙂

City may play a type of footballing chess, but some of us like it. It takes intelligence as well as skill and the rest of the EPL clubs have no answer to it. Are you of the opinion that they bore their opponents to defeat? They're still in the running for 4 trophies but are unlikely to win them all and it annoys me when pundits and commentators keep bringing this up as if it's a formality.

As for Palace, Hodgson has them playing a brand of football which produces results. I'd rather watch Fulham than them any day of the week, but unfortunately, they'll probably go down whereas Palace will stay up. The final league table is the only objective way to decide who gets the prizes and who gets the chop.

Long live meritocracy.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 11:50

I think the EPL has gone for quantity over quality in trying to play the whole season on the back of the last one. 6 games on Wednesday/Thursday and a grand total of 6 goals.That was on the back of Palace v Fulham and Man U v Chelsea on Sunday-both no score bores. Fair play to City who have exceeded my expectations of them after a poor start but overall it`s been really poor imo. Leicester sit 3rd having lost 26% of their games. Man U have played 3 0-0s in a row and Liverpool haven`t scored in 10 hours of open play at Anfield.

Leeds have been decent to watch but that`s partly due to their defensive naivety at times. Who else has actually had a really good season-West Ham?

I have to also give Scott Parker a mention. I watched Fulham early doors and they were hopeless and looked like relegation fodders. Without spending much, if any cash he has galvanised them to the point where they could stay up and they play decent stuff at times. He was an honest player and is the same as a manager-think he could do well in the future somewhere?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 17:25

Scott Parker has a very bright future, I think ?

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Mar 09:14

Liverpool to finish outside the European spots? Wonder what the odds on that were at the start of the season
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Mar 09:53

I respect what city do but it isnt for me.

Put pep in charge of the Pars. How do you think that would go? Genuine question if fantastical.

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Mar 09:58

I have to also give Scott Parker a mention. I watched Fulham early doors and they were hopeless and looked like relegation fodders. Without spending much, if any cash he has galvanised them to the point where they could stay up and they play decent stuff at times. He was an honest player and is the same as a manager-think he could do well in the future somewhere?

Fulham were very unlucky against Spurs parathletic an own goal and a disallowed goal for hand ball that probably would have stood now with the change of hand ball rules

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Mar 10:30

Just had a look there and last day of the season is Fulham v Newcastle.That could be a nail-biter! Saint Maximim, Almiron and Wilson all out for a while for Newcastle. I`m sure I read the rest of their squad only has 11 goals between them so they have to be sweating now. With news of dressing room leaks etc this week it doesn`t look good for them.

3 points of a difference with a game in hand for Newcastle.Fulham have only lost 4 of their last 16 league games(Chelsea, Man U, Leicester and Spurs) and have a superior goal difference.

Brighton would be nowhere near relegation if they had a decent centre forward but if their failure to turn possession into goals continues then they couldn`t be ruled out either-they are on a bad run.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Mar 10:55

I'd love it if Fulham stayed up, it's a good wee club and the only one I know that has a neutral section.

Also think Parker has a decent future ahead of him. He's done well and if they stay up it'll be another feather in his cap.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Mar 15:05

Fulham looking good today. Klopp surely on a shoogily peg now? Also rumours of Salah handing in a transfer request it seems
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Mar 15:51

Liverpool looking like they'll have to win the CL if they want to be playing CL football next year. It'll have to be some turnaround in their performances to pull that off.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Mar 15:53

I`ll be getting a telling off from GG about my schadenfreude but I`m taking some delight in Liverpool slumping to a sixth home defeat in a row. Hopefully RB Liepzig can make it seven on the bounce on Wednesday.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Mar 18:31

Quote:

This aged well!

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Mar 19:01

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sun 7 Mar 15:53

I`ll be getting a telling off from GG about my schadenfreude but I`m taking some delight in Liverpool slumping to a sixth home defeat in a row. Hopefully RB Liepzig can make it seven on the bounce on Wednesday.

Not at all, TOWK. It's a well established footballing tradition that you celebrate your most bitter rivals defeats as enthusiastically as your own team's successes. ☺

Gloating at an opposing player spitting out some broken teeth, is quite a different matter altogether.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Mar 19:05

Quote:

Frank Butchers LoveHandles, Sun 7 Mar 18:31

Quote:

This aged well!

🙁☹🙁

Tbh, I'll be delighted if Fulham can stay up, they play nice football and have been hard done by in a number of games as have Brighton. As another poster alluded, Palace play a particularly brutal style of football, but I can't see them going down with the points they already have in the bag.Toon fans must be crapping themselves now.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net