DAFC.net
Home 20 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Perspective
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Sat 16 Jan 08:44

A bit of perspective for everbody .

The last 6 seasons that were played to a finish the champions ended with the following totals

Ross County 71
St.Mirren 74
Hibernian 71
Rangers 81
Hearts 91
Dundee 69

If you take a season where you look to win all your home games and draw all your away games that would give you a total of 72 points.
Now apart from Rangers and Hearts successes it shows that looking at that formula you wouldn't be too far away.

At the moment we have done the following :
Home games, played 5 , 12 points ,
Away games , played 6, 8 points
So we are down 3 points at home and above points target for away games by 2.

It is obviously possible that Hearts could have that above average points target and run away with the league but only being 1 point off that target is a great place to be in my view.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Perspective
Topic Originator: neilholland999  
Date:   Sat 16 Jan 10:17

You also need to bear in mind that there are not 36 games this year. Also bear in mind that 2 out of our 5 wins this season have come against the bottom two clubs (Alloa & Arbroath).
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kdy Par  
Date:   Sat 16 Jan 10:20

Quote:

alwaysaPar, Sat 16 Jan 08:44

The last 6 seasons that were played to a finish the champions ended with the following totals

Ross County 71
St.Mirren 74
Hibernian 71
Rangers 81
Hearts 91
Dundee 69

If you take a season where you look to win all your home games and draw all your away games that would give you a total of 72 points.
Now apart from Rangers and Hearts successes it shows that looking at that formula you wouldn't be too far away.

It is obviously possible that Hearts could have that above average points target and run away with the league but only being 1 point off that target is a great place to be in my view.

Far too sensible for .net.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 16 Jan 10:21

Everyone plays the bottom two clubs, not just us. At the end of the season it doesn`t matter where you got your points. We`ve also beaten the team at the top of the league by the way.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neilholland999  
Date:   Sat 16 Jan 10:30

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 16 Jan 10:21

Everyone plays the bottom two clubs, not just us. At the end of the season it doesn`t matter where you got your points. We`ve also beaten the team at the top of the league by the way.

Agreed, but I would suggest that in such a tight league, winning against the teams around you (not just hearts) is arguably more significant - both psychologically and in terms of our final league position.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sat 16 Jan 10:35

On the question of the teams around you, if you can beat them at home and draw away then in all likelihood you have that psychological advantage.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 16 Jan 10:39

Quote:

neilholland999, Sat 16 Jan 10:30

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 16 Jan 10:21

Agreed, but I would suggest that in such a tight league, winning against the teams around you (not just hearts) is arguably more significant - both psychologically and in terms of our final league position.

Don't you think every team we have drawn with is thinking the same thing. There are no mugs in this league

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: livipar2  
Date:   Sat 16 Jan 10:40

ICT and Morton away are games we normally struggle to get anything and generally aren’t even that competitive. Arguably we should have won both.

Mon the Pars!!!!!!!!!!!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 16 Jan 10:48

Quote:

neilholland999, Sat 16 Jan 10:17

You also need to bear in mind that there are not 36 games this year. Also bear in mind that 2 out of our 5 wins this season have come against the bottom two clubs (Alloa & Arbroath).

Not sure how the number of games make any difference apart from your points target would either be 53 or 55 depending on number of games home and away 🤔

And this isn't an exercise in picking out individual games , so you don't have to bear that in mind whatsoever
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 16 Jan 10:49

Quote:

Kdy Par, Sat 16 Jan 10:20

Quote:

alwaysaPar, Sat 16 Jan 08:44

Ross County 71
St.Mirren 74
Hibernian 71
Rangers 81
Hearts 91
Dundee 69

Far too sensible for .net.

I thought about that halfway through typing to be fair 😁
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Sat 16 Jan 11:10

I think we’ll definitely get a play-off place, but the difference it makes finishing 2nd compared to 3rd/4th is massive. We’ll fight with Dundee for 2nd IMO for the rest of the season. Hearts will win the league because they don’t draw many games and grind out wins, whereas we haven’t done that.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sat 16 Jan 12:44

far too sensible in general never mind just .net, i doubt the majority will agree with you though alwaysaPar

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sun 17 Jan 09:15

Think it will be 3rd or 4th for us , defensively we will cope, lack of a genuine striker who can take the few chances that come our way might be our undoing . C.O.Y.P

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wulliepar57  
Date:   Sun 17 Jan 12:43

Good post alwaysapar
this year though in which I think will be a relatively tight league all the way ,(apart from Hearts who will win the league) so it leaves the rest of us scrapping for 3 of the play off places
And for us to claim 2nd/3rd we need to be able to turn draws into wins we have already dropped too many points ,
And I hope we can bring in a Striker who can put the ball in the net when we get chances or even half chances as this is can be the difference between a Draw and a Win !! easier to write about it than actually find another Nisbet

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Sun 17 Jan 13:50

Quote:

wulliepar57, Sun 17 Jan 12:43

Good post alwaysapar
this year though in which I think will be a relatively tight league all the way ,(apart from Hearts who will win the league) so it leaves the rest of us scrapping for 3 of the play off places
And for us to claim 2nd/3rd we need to be able to turn draws into wins we have already dropped too many points ,
And I hope we can bring in a Striker who can put the ball in the net when we get chances or even half chances as this is can be the difference between a Draw and a Win !! easier to write about it than actually find another Nisbet

I would put it to you that we have been turning draws into wins and defeats into draws already.
We came back from behind away to Raith and Dundee to draw
Late winner against Arbroath in a game that could have easily been drawn.
Draws away to Ayr, Inverness and Morton that in previous seasons we might well have taken nothing from.
We were struggling away to Alloa until O'Hara came on so another potential draw turned into a win.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gadgie59  
Date:   Sun 17 Jan 14:03

Interesting thread. I like numbers :)

Also interesting are the posts that refer to the psychology associated with some results.

Past seasons have seen us play well, and get results, against Hibs, St.Mirren, Ross Co and Livi (all now in the top flight); but struggle against Morton, QOS and Falkirk. We’ve also struggled to get results against Dundee Utd; but the other three have not been in the top flight for a long time.

Teams like Kilmarnock, Motherwell, St. Johnstone etc, would ‘expect’ to win home or away to the likes of Morton or QOS.

Perhaps if you have aspirations of being top flight club, you need to think like a top flight club?

“Football is a beautiful game,
It should be played beautifully.”
Brian Clough.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 17 Jan 14:29

With 20 points from 11 games, sitting second in the table, I think we`re in a good position. Of the 16 remaining games 9 are at home and 7 are away. We don`t have to visit Greenock or Inverness again.

I think Stevie Crawford has grown into the job and he obviously puts a lot of thought with his backroom team into what personnel and formation to play in each game. The quality of loanees recruited this season has helped in this regard but the section of the team he has struggled with is the strikers. Having given O`Hara a 3-year deal he obviously rates him and he scored regularly in the Championship last season but Stevie hasn`t found a system to accommodate him. I think O`Hara would score regularly if given a run of games but it looks like McCann is going to be the second striker if we play two up front. If we`re going to recruit another striker it would have to be a more experienced alternative to McCann I think rather than another penalty-box striker.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net