DAFC.net
Home 26 February 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Kevin O`Hara
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 17:18

Why is our 8 goal striker on the bench?

Discuss 25 marks.

Bewildering.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Kevin O`Hara
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 17:19

hes got 7 goals....and not shown much when he has started.

and the no1 striker with 7 goals is the first pick

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 17:24

You would have thought that SC, being a striker himself, would realise that a striker needs a run of games to get a bit of confidence and hit a bit of form. He doesn`t seem to be able to come up with a formation that suits the strikers at his disposal. O`Hara scored goals in the Championship last season and has had a decent return this season considering the minutes he`s been on the park so I think he`s good enough but he is being underused.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 17:26

As usual wee eck is spot on.

Declan McManus was left to plough a lone furrow all afternoon.

It was a thankless task.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parfect69  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 17:29

Totally agree wee eck, nothing to lose. I like O’hara. Makes good runs and is a natural finisher. Again he will need help up top.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 17:29

His goal tally is a bit misleading for me, as he hasn’t offered a great deal when he’s played. He was excellent in his sub appearance at Alloa and scored the winner at home to Arbroath. But has offered absolutely nothing in his other 9 league appearances.

In my opinion, he has looked out of his depth every time he’s played against a full time team. He tends to be caught offside a lot and struggles to get the space/time he needs to be able to control a ball, when he stays onside. He might come good, but I think McCann has offered more in the last few games than O’Hara has against these teams.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 17:34

The lack of reserve games must make it pretty tough for the guys on the fringes of first teams to show what they can do.

This a 3 year deal has been a gamble that really hasn't paid off.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 17:34

He may get caught offside a lot but it just takes once to be on side and through on goal. However totally disagree on McCann. He needs to go out on loan to Kelly Hearts or someone else of that ilk
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 17:35

He was playing against full-time teams last season for a part-time team. Why would he be out of his depth against FT teams this season? We used to get this sort of nonsense about Nicky Clark - he only scores against part-timers, he never scores crucial goals etc. I wonder what happened to him?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARS207  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 17:39

Quote:

Sliema Par, Sat 23 Jan 17:18

Why is our 8 goal striker on the bench?

Discuss 25 marks.

Bewildering.

helps if get the stats correct in the 1st instance !!

if we play 1 up front, McManus is the line striker, if people think it should be O'Hara the lone striker dearie me !!!

For whatever reason the 2 don't seem to click in a 2, make very similar runs most of the time.

Should he be given a run in the team... probably yes but would need tweaking the rest of the formation to get him in, but way Dow and Thomas have been for weeks now that shouldn't be an issue.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 17:39

Quote:

Jeffery, Sat 23 Jan 17:34

The lack of reserve games must make it pretty tough for the guys on the fringes of first teams to show what they can do.

How can you say a three year project has failed after a couple of months?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 17:40

Quote:

PARrot, Sat 23 Jan 17:39

Quote:

people on here had him failed after a few weeks never mind months !! just the usual on here!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Vamos Pars  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 17:42

Don’t understand the vendetta against O’Hara? He’s played significantly less than McManus yet has scored the same number of goals. He’s proven at this level so I don’t understand his lack of opportunities. (25 goal contributions for Alloa last season).
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 17:42

Reality is, as eck says, we do not play a style that suits any of our strikers. McManus and O’Hara are without doubt our 2 strikers with the most ability. However, neither are capable of being a lone striker and both require more support.

As for the Clark comparison, at least he was getting chances/getting into good positions most weeks. O’Hara has offered nothing in the 9 appearances he hasn’t scored. Both games he has scored have been from the bench. He has don’t absolutely nothing when he’s started a game. I’d love for him to get a run of games and hit form, but I’ve seen nothing to suggest that would happen just now.

None of the strikers are helped by the fact that both Dow and Thomas have been terrible since the Hearts game. Neither have offered anything. Crawford has also stopped playing a 4-2-3-1 and has opted to play a 4-1-4-1 instead, which takes away the number 10/attacking midfield role, which offered support for the striker as well. We need to sort out the support/service for our strikers, before looking at bringing in another one.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 17:54

Quote:

PARrot, Sat 23 Jan 17:39

Quote:

I apologise, I should have said 'yet' at the end of that 2nd sentence.

I'm just not convinced by what I've seen so far but I'm not writing him off, I'd still like him to get more of a chance.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 18:33

Give O’hara a run of games and I think his confidence will increase. However he will need help like McManus. When the ball gets punted up to McManus he needs the midfield to be up on the play to help him out or he also looks terrible.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 18:53

I think he`s been okay, certainly can`t say he has had a bad start, he is just a different type of forward and has some areas to improve.

But it`s certainly not been a bad start for him, can`t say how it`s been a mistake.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 20:37

Think we need a bit of physical presence up front which unfortunately Ohara doesn’t have

G.B
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 20:38

Quote:

gordi-b, Sat 23 Jan 20:37

Think we need a bit of physical presence up front which unfortunately Ohara doesn’t have

which is why he doesn't play when we go 1 up front.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 20:45

McManus has physical presence but he doesn`t have a decent first touch or much pace which should disqualify him from playing as a lone striker imo.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 22:59

The manger may be forced into playing with one striker to accommodate Whittaker sitting in front of the centre backs ?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 23:06

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Sat 23 Jan 22:59

The manger may be forced into playing with one striker to accommodate Whittaker sitting in front of the centre backs ?

100%
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: davepars  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 23:32

And I`ll have Whittaker on the park all day long.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsfangaz  
Date:   Sun 24 Jan 01:59

Quote:

par-91, Sat 23 Jan 17:29

His goal tally is a bit misleading for me, as he hasn’t offered a great deal when he’s played. He was excellent in his sub appearance at Alloa and scored the winner at home to Arbroath. But has offered absolutely nothing in his other 9 league appearances.

In my opinion, he has looked out of his depth every time he’s played against a full time team. He tends to be caught offside a lot and struggles to get the space/time he needs to be able to control a ball, when he stays onside. He might come good, but I think McCann has offered more in the last few games than O’Hara has against these teams.

🤣🤣McCann offered more
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DJAS  
Date:   Sun 24 Jan 12:26

O'Hara an early contender for .net scapegoat of the year. Not been given enough of a chance IMO. Certainly looks like the system we want to play is 1 up top. If that is the case and was the plan the manager has made an bottom of his forward signings for it.

Predictor league winner 2012/2013
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Jan 13:10

On the system, its do you twist and go 2 up front but loose the protection infront of the defence or do you stick with it and see how game plan goes and if need the goals then go for it in the last 25/30 mins or so.

Dow and Thomas aint performed really for some time, should we go to 4/3/3 or go to the 4/1/3/2 that seemed to work not too bad in some away games?

IMHO as solid and decent performances we get from our full backs, they could do a lot more offensively, so when Dow and Thomas ain`t performing, we have nothing coming from the wide areas.

Could O`Hara play say on the left of a front 3? Play Thomas or Fraser Murray on the right of a front 3 ?

He certainly has something, and happy with the manager taking punt on him with the contract, but he needs to find out a way of bringing the best out of him with the other players we have this now.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net