DAFC.net
Home 26 February 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Cheltenham v Man City
Topic Originator: NikNakPar  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 18:32

Currently 0-0 at the break. Great effort so far. I feel City will score 3 or 4 in final 20 when Cheltenham tire.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Cheltenham v Man City
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 18:36

Ben Tozers clearance off the line is as good as you’ll see. He’s had a cracking game so far. I think as you say that city will score soon enough but a great game to watch so far.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 18:37

need another striker on the park

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jbob  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 18:55

Ya beauty

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 18:57

Pep is bringing a defender on, when 1-0 down to Cheltenham. Staggering
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mcfc-par  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 19:27

Quote:

NikNakPar, Sat 23 Jan 18:57

Pep is bringing a defender on, when 1-0 down to Cheltenham. Staggering

The substitutions worked.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 19:28

Good effort but a city win was never in doubt.... Was it? 🤔

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 19:29

Gutted for Cheltenham. City had to wait till the players were exhausted. Would also like to add that Pep is an absolute helmet.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 20:08

I’ve always thought that Pep was a class act but standing in front of Tozer before he took the throw in then talking in his ear as he was taking it put him down a bit in my estimations.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 20:10

That was a d!ck move by Pep. Shows how rattled they were though. Cheltenham put up a better showing then plenty of PL sides this year.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 20:18

Quote:

londonparsfan, Sat 23 Jan 20:10

That was a d!ck move by Pep. Shows how rattled they were though. Cheltenham put up a better showing then plenty of PL sides this year.

Agreed. If that’s the standard of the 4th tier then English club football is miles ahead of any other country imo. How many sides in our championship or even Premiership could’ve put up a performance against City like that?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 20:20

I used to watch a lot of lower league games in England as one of my mates was doing the 92 ground visit thing and most of the games I watched were of a pretty decent standard and better than a lot of what I watch back home.

Did see a few shockers too though!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Townsvillepar  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 20:26

Hi Londonparsfan, I would love to visit 92 clubs in a season as your mate. It is something I read about almost 60 years ago in a Charles Buchan Football magazine. I would also like to visit all the Scottish grounds, but it would be a big ask in one season. Maybe one day?!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jbob  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 20:29

Ti see granola arguing about where Cheltenham weŕ taking a throw from.... priceless.

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 20:31

Ah he didn't do it in a season. I didn't know that was one of the requirements actually as I just tagged along to quite a few games.

It let's you see games and grounds that you'd never normally see. Crawley had a nice wee bar right at the ground and there was something about the old school feel of Griffin Park that Brentford have just vacated that I really took too. The Brentford support were excellent as well which added to the atmosphere.

If you go low enough there is also the odd ground with a relaxed approach to standing and having a beer whilst watching the game but that was very rare for me but you do see folk posting photos on line if them watching the game and enjoying a beer.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Townsvillepar  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 20:46

Thanks Londonparsfan, I`m not sure that it has ever been done in a season, but compared to 60 years ago, the fixtures would make it easier, as there would be games almost every day/night. I have fond memories of dreaming about doing it as the guys who intended to do it planned the whole season, and had to make sure that they regionalised the visits but may have had to go from Carlisle to Exeter eg. Of course one of the problems now would be getting tickets (when the fans are allowed back in). As I said before maybe one day!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 21:19

Some lower league side in Spain beat Real the other day in Copa Del Rey.

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 22:52

I might be wrong but giant killing in these modern times is not quite what it used to be?
Take City. Only Foden played who had played against Villa.
Most top league sides will likely make a number of changes when facing lower league clubs in the cup.

I think back to the 60s and 70s, due to squad sizes and the cup being more prestigious, the top sides would have fielded close to full strength sides. ?

I don’t have any evidence to back this up, just a hunch

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Sat 23 Jan 22:52)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 23:18

A good point Raymie and you’re probably right. Even though, that City side that started tonight would still be a top end EPL side I’d bet. Maybe not a league winning side but they’d be up there I’d imagine.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 23:29

There`s no doubt Premiership sides tend not to field their best teams in the FA Cup and it`s probably more pronounced this season with the intensity of the programming of League fixtures meaning managers want to rest key players in the Cup. But surely the quality and strength-in-depth of the top sides are much higher than in the 60s and 70s so that even their second strings should be good enough to beat lower league sides? Beating a Premiership team is still a good scalp I would say.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net