DAFC.net
Home 27 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Managers post-match
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 19:21

Stevie Crawford was obviously not happy that the match went ahead. I think he said he told the ref he shouldn`t start the game if he couldn`t guarantee it would finish and the ref couldn`t do that. He said the ref said after the game that conditions were `farcical`. Craw said that was obvious after about 15 minutes.

Dick didn`t say it was farcical but admitted conditions were worse than when they played ICT in midweek. He admitted things fell for them but they took advantage and played the conditions better.

Should we be thinking of using wind gauges to decide whether conditions like today`s are playable or not?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Managers post-match
Topic Originator: d3monstrate  
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 19:27

If we won cause of the wind, we wouldn`t even be discussing it. Same for both teams, they took advantage of it, we didn`t. Let`s move on

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 19:28

No Dick knew what tactics he had planned and Craw has never had to adapt the team in brutal conditions... I’m sure this won’t happen next time.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 19:31

It seriously sounds like we`d lost the game before a ball was kicked today, going by the interview. I don`t think the weather is a good enough reason for today`s loss.

Next week we really need a result. The next three games I`d fully expect us to win.

Post Edited (Sat 06 Feb 19:35)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 19:38

Topic Originator: EEP like | nolike
Date: Sat 6 Feb 19:28

No Dick knew what tactics he had planned and Craw has never had to adapt the team in brutal conditions... I’m sure this won’t happen next time.

Yup Dick switched the fans on and Crawford didnt realise it was going to be windy in Arbroath, deary me

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 19:39

That interview was embarrassing
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 19:43

"He said the ref said after the game that conditions were `farcical`"

no, the ref said before the game, if it got farcical then "he would have a decision to make"

so in his opinion that wasnt "farcical", id love to see what is then.

"Should we be thinking of using wind gauges to decide whether conditions like today`s are playable or not?"

its not happened by February 2021, dont think it will change any time soon.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 19:47

How is it embarrassing if that`s what he told the ref? Dick did at least admit that Crawford wasn`t happy the match was going ahead. Anyone who has watched a match in conditions like that knows it becomes a lottery more than a match played in normal conditions. The only consolation for me was that I could watch it in the comfort of my own home instead of travelling to Arbroath to see it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 19:49

When we saw the sides switch at kick off, I think we knew the tactics and Dick Campbell got them spot on.
Muscle us in midfield and take shots on sight when appropriate.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 19:54

Despite what Crawford says whenever you lose a match and blame the weather it will always sound like sour grapes.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 19:55

`no, the ref said before the game, if it got farcical then "he would have a decision to make"`

Cheers, GJS93, I picked that up wrongly. Of course once Arbroath got 2-0 ahead he would find it very difficult to abandon the game.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: arpar  
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 20:05

I would have said the conditions were poor for a game of football but clearly it was playable albeit not a spectacle. I think he's got it wrong saying don't pass the ball as usually short passes and driving runs are the best way to mitagate the wind. Not getting the player safety aspect. If your going down that route you may as well cancel all football.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 20:06

Crawford stated "the players were worried about injury". Was the roof about to blow off the stand ?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 20:11

I've just heard the bunnets team talk today, shoot on sight. I bet all of our fans that watched the game thought that was what our halftime team talk should have been. I have to say that I thought that Arbroath's superior fitness shown through as they hept closing us down and looked good as they broke away into the wind in the second half.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 20:16

nothing to do with fitness, more like we had so many players up the park because we were 2-0 down and chasing the game which is hard in itself but in those conditions even harder. shoot on sight, yep they tried that a few times and they went out the park.

as for player safety, it is an issue, players trying to time a tackle, their jump etc. it is in the forefront of a referee`s mind when its waterlogged or frozen, wind should be no different.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARSpars  
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 20:17

Quote:

arpar, Sat 6 Feb 20:05

I would have said the conditions were poor for a game of football but clearly it was playable albeit not a spectacle. I think he's got it wrong saying don't pass the ball as usually short passes and driving runs are the best way to mitagate the wind. Not getting the player safety aspect. If your going down that route you may as well cancel all football.

said before 3pm shortly after kick off f that was no where near for for being playable.

what the hell did the ref think it was gonna take to call it off!!

player safety aspect.... numerous instances where players from both teams misjudged the flight of ball and also when ball was on the deck which easily see players mis time challenges. If that was the ball held up in the water on a soaked pitch it would been off, so what's the difference when its windy like that......

course games get played in bad conditions and in wind but that today was beyond a joke for both sides

don't know what Campbell is on about Gaston not making a save in 2nd half !! ok not 15 saves but he had a number of shots he saved.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 20:22

2 teams playing in the same conditions.... Crawford got his tactics all wrong.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 20:43

Quote:

EEP, Sat 6 Feb 20:22

2 teams playing in the same conditions.... Crawford got his tactics all wrong.

Correct .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 21:15

But he I presume has never been a manager in these conditions before so next time he ca adapt the team to a specific role each half?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pacifist  
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 21:22

Craw rarely changes anything, today at the least things obviously needed changing. After that first half it was clear what we needed to do. Not often I`ve been embarassed as a pars fan but was today.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 21:22

Quote:

RossF, Sat 6 Feb 19:31

Next week we really need a result. The next three games I`d fully expect us to win.

Do you? Really? First season watching fitba is it?

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 21:27

Quote:

pacifist, Sat 6 Feb 21:22

Craw rarely changes anything, today at the least things obviously needed changing. After that first half it was clear what we needed to do. Not often I`ve been embarassed as a pars fan but was today.

Totally incorrect Craw will often change system even with the same team,never mind his substitution which often change the team shape .

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 21:37

Yes I do and nope it`s about my 30th. Is there anything wrong with expecting me team to get a result? Should I just expect us to lose all 3?

Post Edited (Sat 06 Feb 21:42)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 21:41

Quote:

RossF, Sat 6 Feb 21:37

Yes I do da no 1. Is there anything wrong with expecting me team to get a result? Can`t win with you. You moan at people trying to be positive and moan and people being negative. Erse.

You fully expect us to win the next 3 games? Honestly?

I've been watching the Pars for 36 years and the one thing I've learned is you just never know.

Nice edit removing the abuse btw 😁

Post Edited (Sat 06 Feb 21:41)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 21:42

Of course I do, playing at our best we can win all 3. Dundee will be tough but we should defeat Alloa and QoTS.

Haha thought it was bad taste. Obviously too late! Just a bit riled up about the result. Rugby cheered me up though!

Post Edited (Sat 06 Feb 21:44)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 21:45

Quote:

RossF, Sat 6 Feb 21:42

Of course I do, playing at our best we can win all 3. Dundee will be tough but we should defeat Alloa and QoTS

Mate I'd be delighted if we get 9 points honestly. You know I always try and see the positive in all things Pars related but I definitely don't fully expect us to win these 3. For starters Dundee at home is a massive test.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Taxipar  
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 21:47

Embarrassing to blame the weather. The last time I was at gay field we were beat by 1 goal on a windy day as Dick Campbell said it’s normal for Arbroath

A par since 1985
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 21:48

Me too. I always go into games hoping we`d win and still come away gutted/annoyed if we lose. As I`ve said in previously posts the aims for the playoffs. If we don`t make them then I`d say we need a change of management next season. With the team we have, playoffs should be the minimum.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 22:01

Anyone calling for the manager's head due to that match needs to stop studying Donald Trump's Talking Shecht for Fun book.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cfad  
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 22:03

Quote:

RossF, Sat 06 Feb 21:48

Me too. I always go into games hoping we`d win and still come away gutted/annoyed if we lose. As I`ve said in previously posts the aims for the playoffs. If we don`t make them then I`d say we need a change of management next season. With the team we have, playoffs should be the minimum.

Up challenging for 2nd place as things stand and talking of sacking the management team if we don't deliver, good to see you are doing your bit towards the cause this season - numptie
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 22:15

For goodness sake some of the people on here! I did not say he needs to go, I`m happy with Crawford, I said if we DO NOT make the playoffs by the end of the season, we should think about change. I do not think we finish outside the playoffs however. Our team is more than capable of making the playoffs and it would a shock if we did not. Some dafties need to read the post first before diving in.

Post Edited (Sat 06 Feb 22:15)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 22:29

IMO - The Bunnet had this won before a ball was kicked.

Protesting that the game should not be going ahead was admitting that the Pars weren’t up for it. Dick knew this and the more we protested the more we played into his hands. The Pars management weren’t up for this game and neither were the players it stuck out like a sore thumb on the pitch.

They should have rolled the sleeves up accepted that the game was going to be played & worked out a game plan to win it. We should have played a 4-5-1 in the first half. String the 5 over the pitch between the 18 yard box & the halfway line.
Kill the game in your own half. How many free shots did Linn have in the FH?

It’s really frustrating - After a great win on Wednesday it’s all for nothing as we throw it all away at the weekend.

This isn’t rocket science. We beat ourselves today courtesy of a wiley old b@stard who knew exactly what he was doing.

Now I like Crawford but you’ve got to wisen up Stevie.....

“.........your on mute Jordan” 😀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kessel  
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 22:51

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 6 Feb 19:21

Stevie Crawford was obviously not happy that the match went ahead. I think he said he told the ref he shouldn`t start the game if he couldn`t guarantee it would finish and the ref couldn`t do that. He said the ref said after the game that conditions were `farcical`. Craw said that was obvious after about 15 minutes.

Dick didn`t say it was farcical but admitted conditions were worse than when they played ICT in midweek. He admitted things fell for them but they took advantage and played the conditions better.

Should we be thinking of using wind gauges to decide whether conditions like today`s are playable or not?

We could lose 500-0 and Wee Eck would defend it 😂😂😂
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 23:14

Haven`t games been abandoned because of high winds? Using some kind of gauge would take the pressure off the ref having to make a subjective decision.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParfectXI  
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 23:15

If you look at the last 2 seasons results - we go into freefall after Christmas, this season isn’t much different. We tend to mix it upon the first half of the season but in the second half the other teams know our tactics and we get beaten left right and centre. Today was embarrassing though, almost like we’d never played in poor conditions.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cfad  
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 23:30

Quote:

ParfectXI, Sat 06 Feb 23:15

If you look at the last 2 seasons results - we go into freefall after Christmas, this season isn’t much different. We tend to mix it upon the first half of the season but in the second half the other teams know our tactics and we get beaten left right and centre. Today was embarrassing though, almost like we’d never played in poor conditions.

So, given what has happened in your opinion across previous seasons, you're writing off this season? It's obvious that all teams get to know each other and their personnel/tactics after playing each other a few times, it's not unique to our team. Glass half empty post...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Feb 23:44

It`s amazing how many fans think the Pars are the only team who lose to teams below them in the league, or go a few games without scoring, or have their style of play sussed by the opposition after a few games, etc etc. You have to wonder how the other teams don`t enjoy uninterrupted success.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 7 Feb 08:29

Having played in high winds at Arbroath , I feel I’m qualified to give an opinion.

It’s too simplistic to say, the team should have changed their natural way of playing and punted it long, or whatever. A player plays in his own style and it’s practically impossible to change it.
Try getting someone who is skilful and likes to pass the ball, to lump it forward all the time. Try getting a big brute of a centre half to take the ball off the goalie and build up the play, rather than clear his lines?

How do you think Manchester City would have performed in conditions like yesterday ? Do you think they would have taken it in their stride and passed the team off the park, as they always do, or do you think they may have struggled?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Sun 7 Feb 09:10

Dress it up anyway you want but that interview is poor, pathetic, sounds like a wee boy whose baw was stolen.

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Sun 7 Feb 09:15

I've not played in high winds at Gayfield, but here's my opinion anyway . The game kicked off , and we needed to get on with it . No one's asking them to perform miracles , just get stuck in .
As far as I could see yesterday, only one team were up for it , and it wasn't us .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 7 Feb 09:17

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 6 Feb 23:14

Haven`t games been abandoned because of high winds? Using some kind of gauge would take the pressure off the ref having to make a subjective decision.

I think there would be a case for abandoning a game if the wind is so strong that the ball will not stay in place for a placed kick. I.e. a corner, penalty, free kick etc.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 7 Feb 09:38

Quote:

Parsweep, Sun 07 Feb 09:15

I've not played in high winds at Gayfield, but here's my opinion anyway . The game kicked off , and we needed to get on with it . No one's asking them to perform miracles , just get stuck in .
As far as I could see yesterday, only one team were up for it , and it wasn't us .

Or the team better equipped to deal with the conditions won?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ianoappar  
Date:   Sun 7 Feb 10:14

Been there got the t shirt same result as late time it was windy up there,and as before same tactics employed by Crawford.Same result a defeat, we didn`t handle the conditions and we didn`t handle Arbroath .The Bunnet will wish it`s those conditions everytime they play at home.,going by his interview he was loving it beating us,and thoroughly deserved.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sun 7 Feb 10:17

Was up there on before on a cold, rainy , windy day and we didn,t cope that day.
the bottom line is they were up for it and got the result , we were clueless in the conditions, roll on next week

G.B
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Feb 10:28

That’s 11 points in 10 games with 12 goals scored and 12 conceded.
We really need to pick up some form going forward.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 7 Feb 13:36

Wonder if the game would have been on if there had been spectators, would imagine H&S would then have been involved.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sun 7 Feb 14:38

Probably the answer when asked by the referee should have been "call it off'. The response SC said he gave was a half way house. It put the responsibility back onto the referee when he was asking for a clear opinion. There is no point in complaining about the conditions when the game went ahead.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 7 Feb 14:57

Quote:

Indiapar, Sun 7 Feb 14:38

Probably the answer when asked by the referee should have been "call it off'. The response SC said he gave was a half way house. It put the responsibility back onto the referee when he was asking for a clear opinion. There is no point in complaining about the conditions when the game went ahead.

Quite often a referee will ask the respective managers for their professional opinion and be guided by it, if He's in any doubt.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sun 7 Feb 19:04

The second half should have only on command, Shoot on site.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Sun 7 Feb 20:00

Quote:

eastendalloapar, Sun 7 Feb 19:04

The second half should have only one command, Shoot on sight.

Absolutely. Both their goals came from long range efforts yet we seemed to want to play it into the box.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 8 Feb 22:58

"Quite often a referee will ask the respective managers for their professional opinion and be guided by it, if He`s in any doubt."

If the referee perceives any potential danger to player safety he`ll call the game off.

There was no real threat of that at Gayfield - unless you include hypothermia !!!

Mind you, the officials would be as liable to freeze their assests as the players were !!!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bucuresti Par  
Date:   Tue 9 Feb 09:34

Arbroath adapted better to the conditions and deserved their win. Perhaps it should not have kicked off at all, in those conditions it is horrible to play in. Perhaps in this instance there does need to be some equipment a referee can use to actually measure the strength of the wind, otherwise it all on their opinion and there will obviously be pressure from both teams who may want or not want to play.

I don`t mind Crawford `covering` for the players in the media. We were slightly better than the league game up there last season which was in a similar wind. That said, I hope he has also gone through the video with them, because there are things that could/should be better. Defensively, clearances need to go wide when defending not central. Some of the shooting in the second half (apart from McInroy) was poor, you have keep them under the bar, with that wind anything is possible. Arbroath were also sharper to second balls most of the time.

We`ll be better on Saturday I am sure.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net