DAFC.net
Home 12 April 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Europa League Draw
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 26 Feb 16:49

After the group stage, the Europa League is a two leg, knockout competition. I've just read that the team drawn first in each tie will playe the 2nd leg at home (Covid protocols permitting.)

Is this not a departure from tradition? When and why was this new arrangement adopted?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Europa League Draw
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Fri 26 Feb 17:02

Wierd

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Fri 26 Feb 17:15

It was done to give retired folk something to occupy their time thinking about :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Feb 18:16

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Fri 26 Feb 17:15

It was done to give retired folk something to occupy their time thinking about :-)

😂🤣😂

Eta. Some secret society may have suggested it so Therangers could be at home in the second leg. 🙂

Fat lot of good that did Leicester.......

Post Edited (Fri 26 Feb 18:19)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 26 Feb 18:34

Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis like | nolike
Date: Fri 26 Feb 17:15

Like it :))

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 26 Feb 19:52

Sparta players celebrated on their flight when they got told they were playing Rangers 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Fri 26 Feb 19:56

So were the Rangers fans when they heard the news, I can see them salivating from here.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Feb 20:02

Quote:

londonparsfan, Fri 26 Feb 19:52

Sparta players celebrated on their flight when they got told they were playing Rangers 😂

It's Czech champions Slavia, Rangers are playing, lpf. They knocked out Leicester last night after a 0-0 at home. Quite impressive. Brendan Rodgers said they deserved their win so I wouldn't feel too cocky if I was a Rangers fan.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Feb 20:05

Aye GG but it`s Brendan (useless in Europe) Rogers we`re talking about here. By the way I`m definitely not the closet Rangers fan my former Celtic supporting colleagues used to accuse me of being.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars Athletic  
Date:   Fri 26 Feb 20:07

Sparta beat Celtic 4-1 home and away in the group stage. Will be tough test for rangers
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Feb 20:15

No doubt it will be a very hard game with a few goals since Ranger`s open style of play gets goals at both ends. I think the fact that they didn`t get the better of Benfica over two games indicates their level but they are definitely in with an even chance against Sparta Prague.

Post Edited (Fri 26 Feb 20:16)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Fri 26 Feb 20:35

It's Slavia Prague

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 26 Feb 20:35

Topic Originator: Pars Athletic like | nolike
Date: Fri 26 Feb 20:07

Sparta beat Celtic 4-1 home and away in the group stage. Will be tough test for rangers

PA Its no Sparta its Slavia

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 26 Feb 20:52

I don't know how I managed that 😂

Sorry folks.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Feb 22:21

That`s exactly what I was thinking Buspass . I even edited my post to change it from Slavia to Sparta, wrongly considering that the all wise Pars fans who were writing Sparta were right!!! Just shows you, don`t believe everything you read on this forum.

Not to mention the famous Dukla who used to be the main force in Prague. I believe at one point they were almost as famous in Europe as Dunfermline Athletic.

Post Edited (Fri 26 Feb 23:17)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 27 Feb 10:07

It's not like folk on here to go off on a tangent. 😃

I didn't post the actual draw as I wasn't too fussed who Govan's Finest will play next but I was intrigued by the fact that teams who come out of the hat first are now the away team in the first leg. I wonder who came up with that proposal, when and why. What was wrong with the traditional arrangement?

Gven that most managers and fans think it's preferable to play the 2nd leg at home, I wonder if the stats bear that out? From memory, the Pars were mostly drawn at home first, for European ties in the 60s but didn't let this perceived disadvantage stop them progressing in most ties.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 27 Feb 11:49

I think we`ve discussed this before GG. Not sure what the stats say but I`m not sure it really is all that a big advantage being at home in the second leg. I suppose it all depends on how well you do in the first leg away from home. Of course if you do well away from home then home advantage didn`t really help your opponents very much! Even so if you play away from home first and say only get beaten 1-0 then on the face of it, with it being halftime of the tie and the second half at home, that`s a good result. However you are then under massive pressure not to concede an away goal.
Would be interesting to know what the stats say because I definetly think it seems that in the last decade or so that any second leg home advantage has lessened.

Post Edited (Sat 27 Feb 11:50)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Sat 27 Feb 13:51

Rangers' Europa League last 16 opponents have a comparable record to their continental challengers in the opening 20 games. Slavia hold an eight point advantage over neighbours Sparta as they look to retain the title.

Played: 20 Won: 16 Drawn: 4 Lost: 0

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net