DAFC.net
Home 30 July 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Fon Williams
Topic Originator: Parsfangaz  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 00:42

Stick to painting
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Fon Williams
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 01:20

Surprised he manages to pick up a brush when his hands are made out of popadoms.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 08:27

For a big guy his attempts at crosses are a joke , weak link in the team

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 09:49

I wonder if Allan McGregor feels a loan deal coming on ?

See out the end of his career.

If only !!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: squish  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 10:19

Whilst Gill might not be the long term answer I don’t recall him making many mistakes when he came in during Scully’s meltdown season. Worth a start surely?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 11:02

No point in having a reserve goalkeeper if you are not prepared to put him in when the first choice is not performing. That said, I am not convinced Gill is the answer either but OFW is possibly the poorest keeper we have had since Chris Smith. If Gill isn't up to the job by now, we need 2 new goalies at the end of the season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 11:06

Gill had one bad game at Tannadice. Just when I thought he was coming onto a game last season he was hooked out for Scully who then conceded 4 at Dundee and Gill wasn’t used again.

Stevies got a decent record with signings...but his goalkeeping choices do leave a bit to be desired. Fon Williams strengths seem to be close range saves and kick outs, but the amount of times we’ve lost longer range goals that he’s been culpable for is poor.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 11:07

Maybe the goalkeeping coach has advised Craw that Gill isn`t quite ready for first-team action.😊😊😊

Didn`t Gill have a bit of a nightmare up at Tannadice last season? Like a few he doesn`t seem to have kicked on after showing initial promise. Having no match practice at the moment won`t help his development either.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 11:20

I wouldn`t agree with that CrossPar. I wouldn`t say OFW was worse than Robinson, Scully (last two seasons), Hrivnak, Hutton or Turner. In that list, Scully surprised me because he was our player of the season in league one. I thought Turner would have been decent as he was in the Scotland squad a few years before he came to us. Gallagher and Murdoch have by far been our best keepers in the last 10 years.

As for OFW, I am desperate to see him succeed here as he seems like such a decent guy, going by the interviews I`ve seen with him and the fact that he spent his own time doing that painting to auction for the club. He has made a few howlers this season, which I would imagine he would be disappointed with too. Maybe next season we should be looking for a new number 1 with a view to keeping OFW as a backup keeper who is mainly focusing on his coaching.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 11:49

^^ maybe that is the plan?

"but his goalkeeping choices do leave a bit to be desired"

mainly down to circumstances, lack of choices and then the ability or lack of within those choices. there are so few quality keepers around its not an easy position to fill and not one you want to gamble on but they might have to with a foreign keeper as an example IF Gill moves on and that is the plan RossF mentions.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 11:51

It’s a big call to change your goalkeeper, due to the impact on the whole of the back four. Far easier to change a defender.

He has been an ever present and all the defenders know his strengths and weaknesses and therefore will know what to expect when playing with him.

To have Gill come in, especially at a time when the team are struggling, could bring other problems. ?

I’m sure the manager is thinking along these lines and wondering whether to make that call?

There were calls for Klopp to drop Becker after a few howlers. He decided to stick with him. Similarly, Jose at spurs will have thought about replacing Lloris with Hart, I’m certain.

These are just a few examples of why it’s a tougher call to change a goalie, in my opinion

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 12:39

Gill isn’t the answer, for years managers have said he has massive potential but noones been willing to back that up by giving him regular playing time and the games he has played he hasn’t been convincing.

OFW not been on form of late but I’d rather stick with him for remainder of the season and see what’s out there for next season with OFW as coach.

Alisson at Liverpool has been having a few stinkers lately as well....it happens.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wulliepar57  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 15:20

This is the Quote from QOS site regarding OFW

with the ball coming nicely on to Gibson, 25 yards from goal, to strike a venomous effort past Fon Williams who arguably could have done better!!!

So no need for any of us to comment on him ! Other folk doing it for us
I would be pinning this on his locker to see if we can get a reaction !
But somehow I do not think it will make any difference ,
Maybe I am being a tad harsh thinking he should have saved it as Gibson caught it well , but we supporters expect our keeper to save everything LOL

Post Edited (Sun 28 Feb 20:17)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Polt  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 16:05

Folks saying we cannot give Cammy a shot. The only reason I can think why not is because Fon Williams is not injured and is coach to Cammy. Which is unfair on Cammy as I feel it makes the decision trickier for SC to put Cammy in before Fon Williams even when he is not performing.
Keepers have blunders but he has had his fair share of late and needs reminding that he can be replaced.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 16:25

I blame the goalkeeping coach, he is obviously not training him to the correct standard.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 16:33

Got to feel for gill. Raw and relatively untried but as our backup keeper he’ll never get that game time with us or anyone else that he desperately needs.

We had a great run with good goalkeepers over the years but last few years it’s been more Chris smith and Scully than butler and Gallagher.

If OFW out of contract in summer? Maybe there’s some good keepers waiting for their chance in 3rd tier Germany....

Just sitting here drenched in my own negativity!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 17:03

Did we no once have a reputation for producing goalies.
My favorite was always Dr Hughie Robertson
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 17:04

Polt wrote:

> Did we no once have a reputation for producing goalies.
> My favorite was always Dr Hughie Robertson

Hugh Whyte ?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 17:10

It was a confusing head scratcher signing at the time.
Deemed good enough to go to the Euro`s as back up but released by a struggling Premier side to go to the Championship, we are finding out the hard way.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 17:33

Gill was given a chance, he wasn't good enough.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 17:36

Quote:

Westies squint kicks, Sun 28 Feb 17:04

Polt wrote:

> Did we no once have a reputation for producing goalies.
> My favorite was always Dr Hughie Robertson

Hugh Whyte ?

Lol Aye!! Knew he was a Dr and got his second name mixed up with Dr Bobby Robertson. Mostly my memories were "Hughie"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 17:40

Quote:

Grant, Sun 28 Feb 17:33

Gill was given a chance, he wasn't good enough.

Nisbit wasn't good enough at Partick ... Yet we stole him (from Raith) and sold him. Maybe since Gill last got a chance he has developed ... Unless we try we will not know.

Post Edited (Sun 28 Feb 17:41)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 19:09

Most of the sides in our league have capable keepers , we unfortunately don,t and young Cammy has been here for years and failed to make a breakthrough , 1st/2nd division beckons for him im afraid, as for OFW for a big guy his inability to deal with crosses is cringeworthy at times , he could be the difference between play offs or not

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 19:38

Human nature + football fan ... we always remember the mistakes and forget about the great saves .... I`m not so sure many keepers would have saved Gibson`s shot

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 19:55

He's inconsistent, he's pulled off some great saves in several games this season as well as the howlers. but you have to also ask why aren't we having many long shots forcing a save by opposition goalies? It's because we can't seem to create those types of opportunities ourselves in recent weeks. I do think it begs the question whether Gill should be given the opportunity (personally thought he was harshly dropped for Scully last year after one poor performance at Tannadice). But I'd be surprised if Crawford throws in Gill at this point. Come the end of the season however there is no doubt we need an upgrade in the position.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 20:38

Didnt see yesterday's game so can't say anything about yesterday, As for bringing Gill in .... there are around 10 games to go and Pars are in a great position for the play offs, what happens if Gill gets the rest of the season and we miss out on a play off slot?
I can honestly say the poor guy would get slaughtered on here, the back 4 know Fon Williams' strengths and weaknesses let him play for remainder of season and if losses his place in the summer so be it.

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 21:12

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 21:18

The latest scapegoat. Pathetic.
Shameful comment from the thread originator.

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 22:53

We are not losing many goals. The problem is that we are not scoring many.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 23:11

Quote:

Indiapar, Sun 28 Feb 22:53

We are not losing many goals. The problem is that we are not scoring many.

No **** how do we go about addressing that problem though? We’re mibby no losing many goals but the ones we are losing are total howlers

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 01:04

Could I suggest playing a creative centre mid rather than a defender and former full back/holding mid ad our midfield 2? Sure we have atleast 1 in the club, goes by the initials KT?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 08:00

How many clubs in the country have conceded fewer goals than Dunfermline?

The answer is one.

Our defence is as mean as Ebeneezer Scrooge but ,as Indiapar points out, the problem is currently at the other end of the pitch.

We are a Championship club graced by an international goalkeeper and to pick him as a scapegoat beggars belief.

He brings so much to our club on and off the pitch.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 09:08

Quote:

buffy, Sun 28 Feb 21:18

The latest scapegoat. Pathetic.
Shameful comment from the thread originator.

Certainly not the latest scapegoat , said it last season when he was in his loan spell, totally inconsistent and nowhere near good enough for our team and it’s only gotten worse. You can happy clap all you like but this goalkeeper is the worst in the league by some distance.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 09:10

Quote:

Sliema Par, Mon 01 Mar 08:00

How many clubs in the country have conceded fewer goals than Dunfermline?

The answer is one.

Our defence is as mean as Ebeneezer Scrooge but ,as Indiapar points out, the problem is currently at the other end of the pitch.

We are a Championship club graced by an international goalkeeper and to pick him as a scapegoat beggars belief.

He brings so much to our club on and off the pitch.

What does he bring on and off the pitch that a better quality goalkeeper would not bring ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 09:41

Quote:

Polt, Sun 28 Feb 17:03

Did we no once have a reputation for producing goalies.
My favorite was always Dr Hughie Robertson

I liked Bobby Whyte at right back in those days.

Post Edited (Mon 01 Mar 10:21)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 09:57

He's a great guy, loads of experience, and no doubt really good for the dressing room.

He also knows the drill though. If you lose a tight game 1-0, with a shot from outside the box that you should have kept out, the keeper is going to get criticism.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 13:54

I think bringing in Craig Wighton is an indication where the management feel the issues are. Havìng watched the games over a few weeks now, we seem to be snatching at chances. We are lacking that composure in front of goal for whatever reason. I don't think OFW is the problem. If the penalty had been put away we may have gone on to win the game.

Post Edited (Mon 01 Mar 13:54)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 14:12

I think OFW is quite a strange goalkeeper I can think of saves he made against Alloa away, Hearts away and even the save on Saturday before half time where he blocked the initial shot and then was quick enough to get a second hand on the ball to punch it away almost like these are shots where it's just quick reactions.

Then on the other hand goals against Queens both home and away, Rovers at home is it a concentration issue and he's just getting caught out by not being switched on.

He's not the worst goalie we have ever had but he does make you feel nervous.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 14:13

No one has pointed out than QoS are the form team in the league, Alan johnstone will get championship manager of the month for February and goalscorer Willie Gibson more than likley player of the month

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 15:59

"No one has pointed out than QoS are the form team in the league, Alan johnstone will get championship manager of the month for February and goalscorer Willie Gibson more than likley player of the month"

I don`t think that changes the fact that the keeper should`ve done better at the goal.

being honest I don`t think we deserved to lose the game, but didn`t do anywhere near enough to win it. Altho, as mentioned above, score the pen and it`s a different game as they then have to come out.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG4  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 16:14

Think id rather have Chris Smith in goals.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 16:47

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Mon 01 Mar 14:13

No one has pointed out than QoS are the form team in the league, Alan johnstone will get championship manager of the month for February and goalscorer Willie Gibson more than likley player of the month

QOS were rotten on Saturday and showed virtually nothing. We were just worse.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 17:13

We score the penalty, we don't lose. We were better than them at 0-0, and I don't think they would have turned round a deficit to win.

We were pretty insipid when we went behind though. It looked like a defeat a long way before the end.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wulliepar57  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 17:17

Now the dust has settled and the result has been scrutinized by everyone , I have tried to look at things logically !we cannot argue about the stats that QOS are the form team just now but they were there for the taking ! they were absolutely mediocre in fact mince comes to my mind , As Parsfangaz pointed out we were just worse so that says a lot about us at the moment ,on Saturday we had plenty possession but no end product ! we are far too slow and deliberate and often end up passing back the way ,which let`s the other team get men back and defend ,or we simply give the ball away And when things go wrong and we get beat we look for anyone to blame it is human nature ,and this is understandable because you do expect more from us , on paper we have a good team but we only see their capabilities now and again , bottom line is If a keeper makes a mistake its normally a goal , no safety net !! it`s in the net and looking at the picture GJS93 posted Gibson was able to pick his spot and we all know he is capable of this, combined with OFW probably unsighted maybe we are being a tad harsh on him this time !
Hopefully the team are fired up for Friday nights game and can get the win we want , they shouldn`t need fired up , as it is a Derby game and we will soon see if what SC says about the player hurting !
Cmon Ye Pars

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net