DAFC.net
Home 13 April 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Not playing into gaps
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 01:05

The Wee Team seem to know how to come back from going a goal behind. We did too not so very long ago, but something has gone from our game in recent times. It is belief? Is it desire?

Before the game yesterday, we had the opportunity to close the gap on Hearts by another two points, but we blew it. The manner in which we blew it is what really annoys me.

On paper, we have a stronger squad than the Rovers, but even on a highlights package you can see that they are geared up to play forward into spaces. This is where we are falling down week after week; how many times did we see a promising forward thrust halted as midfielders, even forwards for goodness sake, turned and played the ball backwards to our defenders so as to start yet another build-up?

Sure, some of our passing play is quite pretty, but if it is not penetrating the other team`s defence, then what`s the point?

Take a look at the Rovers game yesterday and compare and contrast their style to ours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0Y6CQj8IhQ

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Not playing into gaps
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 01:17

I remember posts like this in the run up to the last derby game. Slagging us off and how amazing they are.

Dunfermline 4 Raith 1

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 07:22

Some slick football from the Rovers. Attacking at pace they seem to know where their players are going to be, as Oz says - playing the ball into space instead of directly to a player. Good to watch & demoralising for the opposition.

That’s tactics & it has to come from the coaching staff.

🔩 ya 🚀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 08:20

We don’t seem to have a lot of width to our game and there certainly isn’t a lot of pace in our team. I’m trying to think who in our team has a trick in them to beat a man? Dom had one at the start of the season but now can’t even beat the 1st man at corners! Also explains why even set pierce goals have disappeared as the quality seeps away from our game.

While I’m a fan of having experience I’m not convinced about having a slow old head sitting between the defenders and midfield, where’s the out ball and we invite pressure, we tend to lose the midfield. Whittaker always going to struggle as the pitches get heavier.

I didn’t expect OFW to have such a poor spell though, he’s costing us points now and another few clangers and he might end up costing us a playoff shot. The confidence will be drifting away in him from the defenders.

Mcmanus quickly settling into the way he was with us last time he was here, works hard but it doesn’t quite make up for the constant missed chances. Yeah he’ll score maybe 8-12 league goals but that’s bang average at this level but that pretty much sums his career up.

Hard run coming up, I fancy we’ll win one, lose one and draw one of the next 3, sums up how after a promising start we’re looking average.

Just sitting here drenched in my own negativity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 08:43

Berkey, you usually manage to find a scapegoat. Wedderburn and Higgy spring to mind from past seasons but, now that we`re better-placed than we`ve ever been since returning to the Championship, you`ve managed to find three. Have you ever posted anything positive about the Pars?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 09:19

Here’s something positive, the current players in those positions are night and day better than nat or higgy who were frankly very poor players who almost took us back down.

Scapegoats are an interesting way of putting it. If we don’t make the playoffs do we just put it down to bad luck and say the team as one performed admirably? Then try again with the same group and hope it’s enough seeing as we wouldn’t want the manger to scapegoat any of them by signing a better player for that position.

Just sitting here drenched in my own negativity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 09:33

I think Oz has hit the nail on the head. Our problem has been that we have not been very successful in penetrating and breaking down packed defences. Still early days, but Wighton looks to be the type of player with the intelligence to make runs into space and who could benefit from balls threaded through to run onto. The question is who could play the role of the supplier? I don`t think that for all his effort that McManus is the player to do it. Maybe give O`Hara the opportunity for a couple of games or possibly even try playing Fraser Murray a bit further forward? He can strike a ball and is prepared to shoot and could perhaps also score a few if playing a more forward role. Raith looked very fit and certainly from those highlights pressed Alloa hard, and were prepared to get their players forward at pace and were more direct. It was interesting how after one of their goals the Raith players ran directly back into their half at some pace. At times we seem too slow in our build-up allowing defences more time to get organised. We are all too happy to go wide and then possibly back. Dom Thomas certainly was on form earlier in the season, but apart from other teams realising they need to keep on him so he now has less space and time, I am not sure what has happened. Even his crossing and corners have not been what they were earlier in the season. Let`s hope he can get his mojo back soon, as he played a big part in our early season success. However, a positive is MacDonald has done well so far in his two appearances, and so far Wighton looks a very useful addition. With Mayo`s sending off, maybe we will see our Lithuanian internationalist sooner than expected. We also missed Ryan Dow yesterday.

Post Edited (Sun 28 Feb 09:36)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 09:37

The squad will be refreshed whether we make the play-offs or not. That`s the nature of football now under freedom of contract. It`s very difficult for managers to achieve continuity or foster team spirit when players can be tempted by clubs with bigger financial resources than us.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bannerpar  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 16:15

I tend to agree that some of our problems are caused by slow build up play. It used to be that wingers had in the main just full backs to contend with but by the time our wide men get the ball they are usually surrounded by opponents. Fraser and Dom are not the fastest but Banks looks like he has good pace and control, although getting caught in possession a few times. Hopefully he will come good after more game time. But get the ball to them earlier and give them a chance! McManus didn`t cover himself with glory yesterday but he did have hard lines narrowly missing with two attempts. Had either gone in it would be a different story. Fine margins eh.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 10:21

"Berkey, you usually manage to find a scapegoat. Wedderburn and Higgy spring to mind from past seasons but, now that we`re better-placed than we`ve ever been since returning to the Championship, you`ve managed to find three. Have you ever posted anything positive about the Pars?"

Wee Eck, Berkey only ever posts when we lose blaming his current scapegoat. He never posts when we win or his scapegoat plays well.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net