DAFC.net
Home 30 July 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Shots from distance.
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 22:13

Following on from Willie Gibson’s pile driver that sank us on Saturday I was reflecting that we’ve suffered more than our fair share of this type of goal against this season. It starts, if memory serves me correctly away to Caley Thistle; then there was Charlie Adam’s effort at Dundee, followed by the the reversal at Arbroath. Are we giving opposition strikers too much latitude outside the box? Should we be closing them down quicker rather than back-pedalling? Of course the answer is, “yes”, but why can’t we sort it out? Discuss ......

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Shots from distance.
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 22:49

Agree. Having a holding midfielder sitting in front of the back four (as we do with Whittaker or Wilson), you would think that in a lot of cases they should be doing the closing down. Neither of them are particularly fast on their feet and that may be part of the problem.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 22:58

Thought this was going to be about my prowess on sniper 3D... Imagine my disappointment etc... 🤣

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Tue 2 Mar 08:08

Our goalkeeper isn’t very good. A fair amount of the goals we are conceding from distance were comfortably savable.

Post Edited (Tue 02 Mar 08:08)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gadgie59  
Date:   Tue 2 Mar 16:15

The first goal we lost to Morton at EEP this season could be classed in this category, I think. And, I also believe, there have been several others similar.

Low hard drive, on target, into a congested penalty box.

The first goal we scored against Hearts was a bit like this too though; it was certainly the deflection that beat the goalie on that occasion - imho.

But I tend to agree with yorkiepar .... we do seem to have lost a lot like this recently. Probably as a result of the way we are defending; backing off and allowing opposition players to have space and time.

Goals like these often were the trademark of some notable strikers; Bobby Charlton, Peter Lorimer ..... almost any Dutch player. Part of the skillset of these players was finding the space and time; maybe our current defensive strategy is inviting these types of shots?

“Football is a beautiful game,
It should be played beautifully.”
Brian Clough.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 2 Mar 16:48

We`ve only lost 19 goals in 17 games with our `current defensive strategy` so it must have some good points to it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Tue 2 Mar 16:50

We were showed mcinroy shooting from all angles but I've not seem him shoot from range yet.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Polt  
Date:   Tue 2 Mar 17:08

We seem to get closed down quickly to avoid us being able to capitalise on this, I am confident we have the players to take those shots just not the quickness of finding and passing into the spaces as per other thread. We could do with a mcmanus type player in holding midfield role.

Post Edited (Tue 02 Mar 17:09)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net