DAFC.net
Home 22 June 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Hampden losing Euro matches?
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 4 Mar 17:35

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56250120

Looking `bleak` unfortunately although not unexpected.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Hampden losing Euro matches?
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Thu 4 Mar 19:00

Ach, it’s a pity but the population of Scotland and getting our lives back to normal are a bigger deal than being able to attend a fitba match. I’ve put my holidays in and I’ll watch us get pumped on the tv instead.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Leamington_sPAR  
Date:   Thu 4 Mar 19:45

Is Wembley not under the same restriction, 10,000 max. What am I misunderstanding here, also does UEFA really think all grounds across Europe will be at least 50% capacity. Can’t see the Irish Government being so gung hoe either, they are so far behind on vaccinations.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ianbd6  
Date:   Thu 4 Mar 20:21

What is the point in the Scottish government giving an answer one way or the other when there is another four weeks until they need to. I can understand the cautious approach to easing restrictions but at some point there has to be a more optimistic approach.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 4 Mar 20:47

Quote:

ianbd6, Thu 4 Mar 20:21

What is the point in the Scottish government giving an answer one way or the other when there is another four weeks until they need to. I can understand the cautious approach to easing restrictions but at some point there has to be a more optimistic approach.

The rumour is that UEFA have brought the deadline forward and a decision is needed imminently

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 4 Mar 20:59

I think it was originally the case that they were going to make a decision in March and I believe it was meant to be tomorrow originally as there's a lot of logistics around booking accommodation and training pitches as well as implementing any Covid protocols.

I think they've actually pushed the decision back to allow more chance of getting folk to the games as they want the cash.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Polt  
Date:   Thu 4 Mar 21:54

Almost every European team and football federation are losing money but UEFA still put money first.
If that's the case screw them, they have had enough time to source alternative ways to increase revenue - due to pandemic review TV deals, advertising, merchandise. Even small clubs have had to find alternative sources for revenue.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Thu 4 Mar 23:37

I`d imagine England will step in and host the Dublin and Glasgow matches.

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 06:50

Typical BBC article - "we understand", "could", "might", "it is believed" etc. Meanwhile UEFA have said that they still plan on using the 12 venues they originally selected.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 08:41

To be fair numerous news outlets in both the UK and Ireland are reporting the story.

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gem 1977  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 08:48

Bilbao was also mentioned in the article I read on Eurosport yesterday.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/euro-2020/2021/glasgow-dublin-and-bilbao-could-be-cut-from-hosting-european-championship-games-reports_sto8159236/story.shtml

Here's to the first of the day, fellas! To old D.H. Lawrence.
Neh! Neh! Neh! Fuh! Fuh! Fuh! Indians

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 11:14

April 7th being mentioned on BBC this morning as decision day.

Sadly I can`t see the Scottish Government giving UEFA the green light unless there is a major improvement in the health scenario in the next few weeks.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 12:44

Will be lucky to be taking place at all, but I can`t understand why they don`t just host it in one country- behind closed doors if need.

The thought of several hundred thousand people flying for one game then back is ludicrous, never mind teams.

Germany or UK sound like the only realistic options (London alone has 6 venues suitable)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 12:45

Why change the format this year, at the worst possible time, not just in Scotland but all over Europe!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 13:10

After listening to the Scottish Government briefing this afternoon it seems that there is still a keenness to stage some of the games in Scotland. While covid cases are decreasing in the UK it seems they are increasing throughout Europe. Presumably Euefa want fans of other European teams to be at the matches as well as home fans. Surely it`s far too early to accede to this given the circumstances. Unless European countries can demonstrate that the virus is decreasing why should we risk losing the gains we have made for a football competition. The competition could still go ahead under the same conditions as present, with no fans. It seems to me that it`s far too early to open up to this extent. I would be very surprised if England would give full agreement at this stage.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 13:14

England already gave full agreement did they not? They are already offering to hold additional games. They have already said unlimited spectators from 21st June unless I`m mistaken.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 13:41

Surely that has to be a provisional position parathletic. There is no way the Westminster parliament would allow the tournament to proceed with home and European spectators if a third spike was happening.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 14:09

I think that goes without saying wherever the venue is. I can`t see overseas supporters being allowed in willy nilly but they only need a 30-35% attendance to turn a profit so home fans only?

Nicola saying today that they are `absolutely intent` on still holding them.Between now and the 7th April will decide the fate of it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 15:27

It would be great to see the tournament go ahead, particularly when we are in it and part of it is due to take place in Scotland. Of course limited supporters will make it less of a spectacle than it would have been with a full house and large amounts of away fans doesn`t seem feasible. Having only home fans may be an unfair advantage to the home country teams.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 16:15

Quote:

londonparsfan, Thu 4 Mar 20:59

I think it was originally the case that they were going to make a decision in March and I believe it was meant to be tomorrow originally as there's a lot of logistics around booking accommodation and training pitches as well as implementing any Covid protocols.

I think they've actually pushed the decision back to allow more chance of getting folk to the games as they want the cash.

Correct the deadline hasn't been moved forward but scotland are one of the last to lay out their plans and expectations. But UEFA are happy to hold to the date agreed in April.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 19:11

"They have already said unlimited spectators from 21st June unless I`m mistaken."

I don`t think that was in the hoped for specification for easing restrictions.

Happy to be corrected etc.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net