DAFC.net
Home 22 June 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 More changes to handball and offside rules
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 20:14

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56291850

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc

Post Edited (Fri 05 Mar 20:15)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: More changes to handball and offside rules
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 20:19

Common sense prevails? With offside I would change it to give the advantage to the attacking side. If any part of you is in line with the last defender then you are onside.

Post Edited (Fri 05 Mar 20:23)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 20:27

Quote:

parathletic, Fri 05 Mar 20:19

Common sense prevails? With offside I would change it to give the advantage to the attacking side. If any part of you is in line with the last defender then you are onside.

Post Edited (Fri 05 Mar 20:23)

So it will be VAR checking if a toe or armpit is onside rather than offside?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jbob  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 20:34

Changing half way thru a season is absolute nonsense.
It needs to change but at the end of the season surely

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 20:37

The nature of the offside law means that it`s always going to have a cut off point somewhere-I would just make the game more attacking by changing it the other way. I don`t think the offside rule was initially brought in to punish you if you happen to have size 10 feet compared to the defender`s size 9s. Just my opinion.

I`m not a fan of VAR full stop.It`s completely overused-whatever happened to only using it for any `clear and obvious mistake`?

If you need to get lines out to determine whether it`s offside I don`t think it should be given.How can the VAR official stop it at exactly the right time the ball is played? A tenth of a second out and a player could easily go from onside to offside.

Post Edited (Fri 05 Mar 20:47)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 20:49

That’s the problem. What is clear and obvious? Some of the offside decisions are farcical but at least they’re consistent. When you ask lots of different people if they think it’s a clear and obvious mistake you’ll get lots of different opinions. This will mean an offside which is given in one game may see a more obvious claim not given in another. I heard someone on the radio this morning asking for common sense to be used. Fair enough but you cannot have common sense and consistency so it’s one or the other. It’ll never be perfect.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 20:56

I agree. It`s just I would rather the consistency was with the attacking side.I just think it would encourage more goals which is the name of the game at the end of the day. As an occasional sweeper in my playing days I may have had a different opinion then :)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 21:26

I think we're at risk of going ott with giving attackers the benefit. Goals are meant to be the hardest thing to get in a game of football and need to be earned not just handed over because folk think it might make the game more exciting.

A mistake that grants a goal is equally as bad as a mistake that chalks one off. Deliberately skewing a decision one way or the other is even worse IMO.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 21:31

I think we pretty much unknowingly have had that rule for years until VAR came in. More often than not a linesman isn`t going to flag for a toe offside-they can`t possibly see every body part of every player at that speed. I remember strikers were coached to play on the shoulder and try and gain half a yard-that`s out the window now.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 22:17

Just discovered an interesting stat that I would never have guessed.Could be useful for anyone who likes a punt. This is the 6th season since Burnley returned to the Premier League. They have been offside more than any other team every season apart from 2017/18 when only Chelsea were caught offside more.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sat 6 Mar 07:22

Quote:

Jbob, Fri 05 Mar 20:34

Changing half way thru a season is absolute nonsense.
It needs to change but at the end of the season surely

Says in the article first of July for the new rule on handball. Offside is a clarification of what is already there.

Post Edited (Sat 06 Mar 07:22)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net