DAFC.net
Home 23 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Barmy Barrow Goals
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Wed 17 Mar 21:17

When i`m off-duty from Pars stuff I watch Barrow - currently in 90th position of the 92 English league clubs.

Last night they played league leaders Cheltenham away from home, and won 2-0 (!) with two of the daftest goals I have seen in a single match. They`re right at the start and finish of this 2-minute video, and in between the Barrow goals it was a bit like The Alamo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjp3B6PCO9g

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Barmy Barrow Goals
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 17 Mar 21:25

Looks like they`ve signed Ibrahimovic, Stanza! I see Tom Beadling has dropped out of the squad. Is he injured?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 Mar 21:56

I just don`t think Beadling is in favour. He played quite a bit at the start of the season, but looked (to me) off the pace. He hasn`t even been on the subs bench in recent weeks. Barrow have had 3 new managers this season, which won`t have helped!

Ibra is Ollie Banks.

Post Edited (Wed 17 Mar 21:57)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 17 Mar 22:24

"Barmy Barrow"... puts me in mind of those 1960s comics like the Valiant and Hotspur and the Victor.

Barmy Barrow would for sure be a character in Captain Hurricane or Legge`s Eleven or Tupper of the Track.

I can see him as the new signing for Melchester Rovers. A bit scary at first, but that was all a simple misunderstanding. He`d soon prove his worth and become Roy`s new best friend.

Good old Barmy Barrow!

:)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jbob  
Date:   Thu 18 Mar 09:03

I too follow Barrow

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ronaldo  
Date:   Thu 18 Mar 10:12

I`ve had a soft spot for Barrow ever since they (wrongly) dropped out of the Football League and have been to Holker Street. Great ground. Crazy match there, Stanza, but three wins in a row for Barrow. Amazing twist in a roller coaster season.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Thu 18 Mar 13:42

The defensive clearance at 1.08 was brilliant

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Mar 16:09

Yes, an amazing goal-line clearance. The Cheltenham commentator said something like "Whilst mere mortals would have given up on that, Eardley saw a different picture. "

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Thu 18 Mar 19:53

It is amazing the amount of posts on this forum about Barrow over the years, and the amount of Pars fans with a soft spot for them. What is the link?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Mar 20:14

It is amazing the amount of posts on this forum about Barrow over the years, and the amount of Pars fans with a soft spot for them. What is the link?

I suspect for many the link will have something to do with Rosyth Dockyard and the shipbuilding in Barrow.

For me, it`s because my mother was brought up there, and I spent all my school holidays (about 3 months of every year) in Barrow - Walney Island actually, for those who know Barrow.

The Pars also played a friendly against Barrow in 1963, to herald their new floodlights, which might have been DAFC`s old lights - I remember there was some connection.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Mar 20:17

My dad (a ship`s engineer) came home from work one evening in the late 60s/early 70s, Par, to tell us he was having to go off to Barrow that night ... by submarine. Have to confess I was quite jealous.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ianbd6  
Date:   Thu 18 Mar 20:44

Ronaldo out of interest why do you think Barrow were wrongly voted out of the league.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Mar 21:11

ianbd6

Barrow had been poor for a few years, and were in financial difficulty. Also, if you`ve ever driven along the old A590 to Barrow after a long journey perhaps from the South Coast, you`ll know why other clubs were happy to see them out of the league. (Workington were also voted out a few years later.)

In 1971-72 Barrow finished third bottom, well clear of Stockport and Crewe beneath them. All three clubs, along with Northampton (4th bottom) applied for re-election.

On the other hand, Hereford had just caught the public imagination by putting Newcastle out of the FA Cup and had applied for election to the Football league. There was a feeling someone had to be evicted, and the three other clubs up for re-election had been reasonably decent in previous seasons - Barrow were the prime candidate. There was an initial tied vote between Barrow and Hereford for the final place, and in a second vote Hereford were elected - Barrow were out of the Football League until 2020.

Was it unfair? Probably - I always believe football should be decided on the field, not in the boardrooms.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Mar 23:14

Can`t claim to have any great insights into the complexities of the re-election system, ianbd6 ... but, as Stanza points out, they finished third bottom in 1972. Two more wins and they would have been practically mid-table. And, as recently as 1967-70, the had actually played in the old third division.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Mar 23:20

More detail, but pretty much what I said.

https://twohundredpercent.net/barrow-afc-long-road-back/

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ianbd6  
Date:   Sat 20 Mar 15:04

Thanks Stanza and Ronaldo. I follow Bradford (PA) who were voted out in 1970. Although the club had finished bottom on three of the previous four seasons seemingly they were quite confident of gaining enough votes to keep their Football league status. The voting system was flawed and there were rumours of back handers and other incentives going on. I have watched BPA there a couple of times. They are a good club but it is a bit of a trek .

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net