DAFC.net
Home 21 June 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Celtic v Rangers - Match On.
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 09:43

After discussions between the two clubs, the SPFL and Police Scotland the game goes ahead on Sunday, with a 12 pm kick off. This will give the punters on each side enough time to attend a Kirk or Chapel service and then trot along to Celtic Park to engage in a bit of banter with rival fans, while the polis smile benighly on one and all.

It's not yet been confirmed whether Rangers will do a lap of honour around the stadium, with the Celtic players providing a guard of honour, in front of both sets of sporting and appreciative fans.

Post Edited (Fri 19 Mar 15:13)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Celtic v Rangers - Match On.
Topic Originator: Jbob  
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 09:47

Let`s hope this passes without incident. I`m not optimistic tho.

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 12:23

Quote:

Jbob, Fri 19 Mar 09:47

Let`s hope this passes without incident. I`m not optimistic tho.

Depends on whether the Police finally twig and cordon off the streets around the stadium. There's absolutely no reason for any fans to be anywhere near it.

Have they learned the lessons of Ibrox x 2 and George Square? Let's hope so.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jbob  
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 12:48

Or dundee on st Patrick`s day

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 13:15

I predict carnage!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ft media  
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 13:44

50 point deduction for both teams if ANY fans turn up.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 13:45

presume there is still a police match commander etc even with no fans in the ground. Lets hope he has the instruction/balls to cancel the game at no notice should any fans attend outside to send a message that those actions will not be tolerated.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 14:12

Hopefully the Celtic players can swallow their pride and give the champions a guard of honour. A small gesture but an important one. As Jock Stein would have said `We must keep our dignity`.

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 15:04

The guard of honour has no place in football, when did this even start to creep in. No one actually cares.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 15:22

"Hopefully the Celtic players can swallow their pride and give the champions a guard of honour. A small gesture but an important one. As Jock Stein would have said `We must keep our dignity`."

When the positions were reversed, a couple of years ago, IIRC, the Rangers fans website was a hoot. The general outrage and mass seething left me under the impression that many of them would rather have had a leg amputated without anaesthetic. One poster who ventured to suggest they should was called every Fenian insult under the sun. I rather fancy he wasn`t a genuine Rangers fan.. 😃

I`d be very surprised if the view among Celtic fans was any less apoplectic.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParfectXI  
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 15:26

Why should they give them a guard of honour - Rangers point blank refused to give them one a few years ago!!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 15:45

Rangers should have given them a guard of honour then just as Celtic should this weekend. Celtic have received it plenty of times from other clubs the past decade.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 15:54

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 19 Mar 15:45

Rangers should have given them a guard of honour then just as Celtic should this weekend. Celtic have received it plenty of times from other clubs the past decade.

Are you serious, TOWK? The two sets of fans absolutely loathe each other and those who run each club are not much different. If either club gave the other a guard of honour, its fans would be burning their season tickets and there would be a mass boycott the following season.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 16:07

Kennedy has come out and announced there will not be a guard of honour.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 16:29

Remember the Pars getting a bit of stick from our own supporters, when they did it at Parkhead!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 16:50

Aye GG I was perhaps just being naive. That said the sort of neanderthals that would be outraged by such a gesture have a mind set I can never fathom. The Celtic nd Rangers fans I know and work along side have a bit of banter definetly but they certainly don`t loathe one another and many of them would class each other as friends.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 17:21

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 19 Mar 16:50

Aye GG I was perhaps just being naive. That said the sort of neanderthals that would be outraged by such a gesture have a mind set I can never fathom. The Celtic nd Rangers fans I know and work along side have a bit of banter definetly but they certainly don`t loathe one another and many of them would class each other as friends.

I suppose it depends on the kind of people you work with. I worked alongside fans of both sides and they were all quite civil to one another and even got involved in the odd bit of banter, but always kept their heads down if their team lost a derby. I don't think they were completely representative of the more fanatical examples among their support.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 17:36

John Kennedy`s explanation for not giving Rangers a guard of honour :-

"We`ve spoken collectively about it and won`t do it," Kennedy told Sky Sports.
"It`s not about lacking class - it`s nothing like that, because we`re a club who always show class and dignity and do what`s right."

Kennedy cited Rangers` refusal to give a guard of honour to Celtic when the sides last met after the title had been decided, in May 2019.

"I don`t think such a fuss was made about it and I don`t see it as a big issue," he added.

Surely it would show a bit of class to rise above this tit-for-tat attitude?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 18:08

Like GG suggests such an act of gracious magnanimity wouldn`t be taken well by many Celtic supporters and Kennedy already has some work to do to win them over.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 18:10

correct wee eck ...... a chance to show their class and dignity and they do the opposite

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 18:11

Sevco refused to do it against Celtic a few years ago . However, without any fans in the ground it would be relatively safe to do so this time . IMHO it’s americanised drivel .

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 18:16

I drove past parkheed this morning. There's a wheen of herras fencing around it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 18:36

"After discussions between the two clubs, the SPFL and Police Scotland the game goes ahead on Sunday, with a 12 pm kick off."

Should be a 7am KO.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 19:26

To shed some light on two of the suggestions made in this thread, I would very much doubt that any of those who might be of a mind to make their way to Parkhead to rile opposition fans would have had the slightest inclination to attend the Kirk or the Chapel beforehand albeit at a zoom service since restrictions to congregational gatherings will not be lifted until 26th March.

And the reference to Neanderthals in relation to such fans may be a slight insult to that particular hominid since recent research has indicated that they were not the knuckle scraping dullards that they have been made out to be but sensitive and caring beings with large capacity brains from whom all of us in this part of the world can claim some ancestry.

Post Edited (Fri 19 Mar 19:28)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 21:01

Still think there will be trouble, some morons, will just not listen.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 20 Mar 22:17

Load of Police Scotland officers now with COVID. Can we not just put a dome over Glasgow?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Sun 21 Mar 18:15

A guard of honour is the right thing to do...........

We may support different clubs but first & foremost we are sportsmen/women
As such we show respect and curtesy to other clubs & their achievements. If Falkirk won the league & we played them next - If we did not give them a GoH in respect of their achievement I wouldn’t be back.

Disappointed in Celtic but not a great surprise.

“.........your on mute Jordan” 😀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sun 21 Mar 19:10

Quote:

SergioDuarte, Fri 19 Mar 18:11

Sevco refused to do it against Celtic a few years ago . However, without any fans in the ground it would be relatively safe to do so this time . IMHO it’s americanised drivel .

Clubs have been doing it as long as I know football so I don’t know why you see it as Americanised?

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Mar 19:12

Quote:

Angus_W, Sun 21 Mar 18:15

As such we show respect and curtesy to other clubs & their achievements. If Falkirk won the league & we played them next - If we did not give them a GoH in respect of their achievement I wouldn’t be back.

You wouldn't go back if we didn't give Falkirk a guard of honour?!?! 😄😃😄

Many Celtic fans (and Rangers fans) wouldn't go back if their team did give their hated rivals a guard of honour, which is precisely why Celtic didn't give one today, just as Rangers didn't a couple of seasons back.

Why would any club risk alienating a significant number of their fans? It's much the same in politics. Rule 1, if it's a vote loser, don't touch it with the proverbial barge pole.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sun 21 Mar 19:42

I remember failkirk never done it against us a few years back when PBS was their manager.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Sun 21 Mar 19:43

Falkirk didnt give us a guard of honour in 2011, when their 32 fans turned up to watch us smash them 3-0 and lift the title.

And I would never expect to see us do it for them.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sun 21 Mar 19:51

No lessons learned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qc9AaN09PY

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Mar 20:15

Some numpties in Pitcorthie were letting off fireworks in the day. Displays the intelligence of them.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Mar 20:21

Here was a time 30 year ago when Rangers done something that alienated a section of their support. More power to them for doing so as well.
https://youtu.be/2rf4BIXJ8_g

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sun 21 Mar 20:22

Par they will never learn. What I find strange is it doesn't look like anywhere in Glasgow. I think it might be Armadale which is around 30-35 miles from Ibrox, Idiots

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParfectXI  
Date:   Sun 21 Mar 21:10

Could this be the end of football this season? Just because it’s not at Ibrox or Parkhead it’s clearly football related. The government have given plenty of warnings and are clearly fed up with the situation. I wouldn’t be surprised if they do stop the game this week.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 21 Mar 21:14

Quote:

Angus_W, Sun 21 Mar 18:15

I wouldnt mind showing respect but I think a curtsy is going too far 🤣

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Mar 21:17

Many Celtic fans (and Rangers fans) wouldn`t go back if their team did give their hated rivals a guard of honour, which is precisely why Celtic didn`t give one today, just as Rangers didn`t a couple of seasons back.

........Classy.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Sun 21 Mar 23:08

It’s Armadale X, it been organised for days apparently, my brother stays there. Traditionally in the 90’s when Rangers won the league that was the West Lothian rally point, the Lodge just up from it was important! The town is horrible, Union Jack flags on masts are common place !

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sun 21 Mar 23:50

TOWK`s video from Larkhall is a shocking reminder of how deep-seated the prejudices are (on both sides) in some parts of Scotland. It was 30 years ago, but what chance would these men`s sons and daughters have had to escape the hateful thoughts of their fathers?

A friend of mine sent me a picture last night of a sign hanging from an overpass that said "Keep Cumbernauld Catholic".

It is this insanity that makes me despise the Old Firm and everything they stand for.

The Pars may drive me up the wall at times with their inept performances, but every day I am thankful that I can support a team where religion is of no importance.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Mar 06:04

Quote:

Angus_W, Sun 21 Mar 21:17

Many Celtic fans (and Rangers fans) wouldn`t go back if their team did give their hated rivals a guard of honour, which is precisely why Celtic didn`t give one today, just as Rangers didn`t a couple of seasons back.

........Classy.

So, if you ran a business, you would make a "classy" decision, even though you knew it would significantly reduce the company's income ?

You have to be taking the pith, Angus. If not, I wouldn't have you running a sweet shop.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Mar 06:27

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sun 21 Mar 20:21

Here was a time 30 year ago when Rangers done something that alienated a section of their support. More power to them for doing so as well.
https://youtu.be/2rf4BIXJ8_g

Mo Johnston soon won the bigots over, by scoring the only goal in an OF derby, amid wild celebrations. There was a time before that, when news broke that Rangers had signed a 14 year old schoolboy called John Spencer, who attended the wrong school. Rangers were due to play Morton at Cappielow the following Saturday.

15 buses from Larkhall, booked for the game, were cancelled in protest.

The mindset of many Rangers fans hasn't changed since those days - they still despise Catholics for no other reason - but they put up with Catholic players in their own team, as long as they play well. You have a similar situation at some other clubs, which are a focal point for racist, far right groups. They will abuse opposing black players, while shutting their eyes (and mouths) when it comes to black players in their own team.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 22 Mar 09:04

Was Fergie not hounded out of Ibrox due to his wife's religion?

Or was it just crap results?🤔🤣🤣🤣
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Mar 10:04

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Mon 22 Mar 09:04

Was Fergie not hounded out of Ibrox due to his wife's religion?

Or was it just crap results?🤔🤣🤣🤣

No, Fergie was dumped because he was detailed to mark Billy McNeill at set pieces in the 1969 SC Final. McNeill scored from a corner in the first minute and Celtic went on to win 4-0.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 22 Mar 11:44

"Was Fergie not hounded out of Ibrox due to his wife`s religion?"

Why would Rangers sign him if Cathy`s background was an issue ?

As GG says, he was held responsible for McNeill`s early opener in that cup final.

Going by that perception - John Grieg should have been in the dock as well for the gift he offered George Connelly - Sunday pub league fitba`.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCu46R_m1SE&t=378s

At 39:50

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Mar 12:18

If Rangers and Celtic were as keen to tackle sectarianism as they claim to be, surely they wouldn't care what the bigots among their support think/react about a guard of honour? If they were advised not to do it by Police Scotland then that's even worse!

I get that there are football rivalries but there's also sportsmanship.

The state of places like Boness and Grangemouth today are nothing short of embarrassing. You'd think we lived in N.Ireland with some of what's gone on.

And before it's said, I'd be saying the exact same if this was Celtic fans vandalising the place and breaking lockdown.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Mar 17:22

To provide a GoH would have been "Classy".......

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Mon 22 Mar 18:33

Maybe celtic are going to surprise everyone by keeping the guard of honour for Ibrox

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net