DAFC.net
Home 23 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Willie Whigham
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 10:04

Just saw his obit in today’s Scotsman, passed away 3 March aged 81.

Fine goalkeeper, popular with fans of all persuasions. 465 games in his long career (1960/1974) both sides of the border with Falkirk and Middlesbrough and couple of other clubs as he neared retirement. When he joined Middlesbrough in 1966 five bus loads of vans from Falkirk travelled down to see his debut. Incidentally, ex Par Eddie Connachan going the other way was part of the deal.

Don’t recall if he kept a clean sheet, but I remember a match at EEP when the Pars were parked in his half, shots and crosses raining in, and he was enjoying himself immensely flinging himself at everything that came his way and lapping up the applause from home and away fans alike.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Willie Whigham
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 19 Mar 18:38

He was a very good keeper in a very indifferent Falkir team.

[IP address logged]
 Re: Willie Whigham
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sat 20 Mar 04:33

He was a very acrobatic goalkeeper. One of my first memories is a match at Brockville where he performed an incredible (almost impossible) single-handed, backwards diving, save. The forward had lobbed him but he somehow managed to clutch on to the ball and hold on to it. Left us all mouths agape.

RIP Willie.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net