DAFC.net
Home 21 June 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 No settled team or formation
Topic Originator: tappies par  
Date:   Wed 24 Mar 01:05

Every game the team is changing, formation etc. No continuity. Players being dropped for no reason. Wighton scored 3 goals in 4 games and is dropped for McCann who has hardly played. Coming towards the end of the season and still don’t know our best team or formation. One of our best players loaned out. I’ve no confidence in Crawford neither do the players.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: No settled team or formation
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Wed 24 Mar 16:35

Have you evidence the players have no confidence in Stevie? Is there such a thing as a best team? Or does that depend?

There must be two extremes. One is trying to play the same team every week, with the same formation and the same tactics. This has its plus points – players know what they are meant to be doing, they know what their teammates will be doing, and maybe it is easy to slot in the odd change of personnel. It helps if you develop the “winning habit”.

One downside is that personnel changes are inevitable due to injuries, illnesses, suspensions, internal disciplinary issues and loan conditions. I’m not sure how easy it is suddenly to throw in a player who hasn’t played all season into a vital match. And if it is predictable to the players, it is also predictable to the opposition who can take steps to neutralise.

The other extreme is to tailor your side, formation and tactics for the occasion, taking into account the conditions, the pitch, the opposition and the competition. So you have a different team every week – tinker with the tactics during the game, making full use of substitutions. You might need a longer view and to see the bigger picture – keep as many players match fit as possible, have different clubs in your bag – insert your favourite cliché here.

I would argue that Jim McIntyre and Allan Johnston tended to adopt the former approach – their idea of a plan B was to try Plan A again. AJ is famously reluctant to use substitutions. I think you are more likely to get consistent performance, but if your normal performance is mid-table, that is where you will finish.

Jimmy Calderwood and Stevie are perhaps in the latter camp – always trying to get an edge. Possibly they are overthinking things.

I guess getting the balance somewhere in between may be the optimum strategy, but that is more easily said than done.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Wed 24 Mar 16:54

Quote:

McCaig`s Tower, Wed 24 Mar 16:35

Jimmy Calderwood and Stevie are perhaps in the latter camp – always trying to get an edge. Possibly they are overthinking things.

Tactically, JC and Stevie are light years apart. JC was one of our best ever tactical managers and knew how to change a game. Stevie is not in the same calibre, despite having played for the man.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 24 Mar 18:14

in fairness Calderwood had a 45 man squad to choose from. Seven changes last night and nobody really pushing for a starting place unfortunately.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net