DAFC.net
Home 21 June 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Psychology of Football
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 28 Mar 07:20

Some folk will think I've been on the apple juice early this morning, but hey ho. When we opened the scoring last night, I was jumping - the first goal is normally crucial. (Off the top of my head, I think the stats suggest that around 80% of teams scoring the first goal go on to win the game.) Why then, did I start to feel nervous when we added a second a few mins later?

This is not being wise after the event. I've always believed that 2-0 is a dangerous scoreline. The game is effectively over. The losing team know their chances of getting anything from it are miniscule. The winning team know they just have to manage the game well, frustrate their opponents and run down the clock. No need to take any risks but no need for a massed defence either. Crucially, they mustn't concede the next goal.

Suddenly, at 2-1, the psychology of the game is turned on its head. The team who were 0-2 get a massive boost, knowing they're back in a game which was effectively over. The team who were 2-0 up become really nervous, realising they could lose their win bonus which was practically in the bag.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Psychology of Football
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Sun 28 Mar 08:36

Glittering the turd there GG, here's the psychology I noticed, one manager animated and shouting instructions, ours barely coming out from behind his snood thing looking terrified, lost, not much in the way of instruction or inspiration.
Crawford looked exactly like what we got on the park.
Not good enough.

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.

Post Edited (Sun 28 Mar 08:36)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Sun 28 Mar 09:51

Last night was a bit of a head scratcher, GG. I think the difference between the sides was that Dundee had the toughness, experience and the wiliness in some old heads which meant that they didn’t panic, even when facing a two goal deficit. Once our relatively young side lost the first goal you sensed that a collective and growing panic set in. Personally I felt that a draw would have been a fair result, but it’s fine margins.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Mar 10:18

Quote:

yorkiepar, Sun 28 Mar 09:51

Last night was a bit of a head scratcher, GG. I think the difference between the sides was that Dundee had the toughness, experience and the wiliness in some old heads which meant that they didn’t panic, even when facing a two goal deficit. Once our relatively young side lost the first goal you sensed that a collective and growing panic set in. Personally I felt that a draw would have been a fair result, but it’s fine margins.

Not only that, Yorkie, Dundee would also be telling themselves they had at least 85 mins to redress the damage done - not really much different to a team facing a 2-0 deficit from the away leg of a European tie. Had the Pars gone 2-0 up well into the second half, Dundee might well have struggled to come back, toughness and experience notwithstanding.

Personally, I didn't think we did enough to deserve even a point, as we were second best for all but the first 10 mins and the last 10. We should have managed the game much better after our great start. Dundee would have become increasingly desperate if we'd done so and we might even have managed a 3rd goal as they'd have had to leave themselves short in defence. Very few teams come back from 3-0 down, even if we did that v Dundee earlier this season.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Sun 28 Mar 10:46

Some of our “hugely experienced” (ahem!) dot nutters said on here last night that SC reverted to a defensive set-up after our second goal. Do you think he did, GG? I can’t say I saw such a change. But if he did I suppose that could have been an attempt to “manage” the game, albeit a bit ambitious after only six minutes! BTW totally agree with your European tie deficit analogy.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SeasonedPar  
Date:   Sun 28 Mar 10:52

2-0 up very early in the game and we should’ve killed it right there. No need for long balls, no need to play forward, no need to rush at throw ins, free kicks or goal kicks. Keep possession and frustrate Dundee.

Instead, I’d agree we panicked. Watson struggling to contain Ashcroft at set pieces, why didn’t Murray pick him up instead? No effective blocks on Ashcroft who was more dangerous in the box in one game than all the games he played for us.

Is that down to the players not taking responsibility? Or a coach’s instructions? If it’s the latter, that suggests he’s no confidence in his players to protect a lead by managing the game and keeping the ball.

The football’s been dire for weeks. It’s FOOTBALL yet we resort to high aimless punts (“into the channels...”), for small forwards to chase. And so the ball comes right back at us.

Yet we’re still in a play off spot - just. To have any chance of improving, SC needs to go. Whittaker with his knowledge and experience as player/manager now. It may be too late after Tuesday night. A tough call for the Board, but we may never have a better chance of securing 2nd and then promotion.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stoo  
Date:   Sun 28 Mar 10:59

I said it at 2-0, scoring those so early that we COULD scrape a draw out of it, entirely seriously.

They were great finishes but very bad defending, it didnt show me that we had turned a corner or anything.

Obviously, in the end, even our normally stingy defence had chucked it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 28 Mar 11:43

Two up so early against a decent side is always a precarious position. Do you stick or twist? I suspect that, regardless of instructions, players subconsciously become cautious. The goals came so early last night that no pattern of play had emerged so it`s difficult to say how the game would have panned out if it had been goalless for a while. Sadly, our normally reliable defence had a bad night and it looked to me that Watson wasn`t fully fit as he is normally a very effective marker. We could have benefited from an `auld heid` in midfield but Whittaker wasn`t in the squad I think.

Banks and Henderson gave us a lift but young players are notoriously inconsistent as Banks has shown already in his time with us. I think I`d take a chance by starting them on Tuesday night though.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Mar 12:03

Quote:

yorkiepar, Sun 28 Mar 10:46

Some of our “hugely experienced” (ahem!) dot nutters said on here last night that SC reverted to a defensive set-up after our second goal. Do you think he did, GG? I can’t say I saw such a change. But if he did I suppose that could have been an attempt to “manage” the game, albeit a bit ambitious after only six minutes! BTW totally agree with your European tie deficit analogy.

Look, I'm no Jonathan Wilson, but I didn't see us switch to a defensive set up after going 2-0 up. If we did, it didn't work very well - we struggled every time Dundee attacked us down the flanks. As Seasoned Par says above, we should have killed the game. Not talking about parking the bus, just making sure we kept things tight and not giving them any chances. Maybe even the odd sortie on the counter and adding a killer 3rd to put the game to bed.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 28 Mar 12:12

There’s no way he changed formation after 10 mins. No pattern of play had been established by either side.
We took advantage of two sloppy pieces of defending by Dundee and that was it.

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net