DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Action Points
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Thu 1 Apr 07:22

Just watched the highlights. I don`t know why I wanted to go through all that pain again, but I did anyway. It has just reinforced what an almighty clusterpluck that was. Anyway, beyond the obvious managerial issues which must be addressed, it prompted some thoughts as what needs to be done. Here`s five action points for starters...

1. Drop Fon Williams. Get Gill in goal to the end of the season, no matter what the outcome.

2. Strip Ewan Murray of the captaincy immediately. With Dow injured, install Comrie as captain. At least he shows commitment. That second goal? FFS Murray!

3. Play 4132 or 442, maybe even try 352 when Gasputis is back. But, for God`s sake, show some attacking intent.

4. O`Hara and Wighton are the first choice strikers. O`Hara has shown improvement recently while McManus has gone into full reverse. Forget McCann; he`s blown his chances.

5. Never play Wilson and Whittaker together, but always play one of them. We need movement combined with vision in midfield.

5. No contract negotiations until the season ends. If that means a major clear-out, then so be it.

Feel free to add your own suggestions...

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Action Points
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Thu 1 Apr 07:50

1. I wouldn’t be too hasty with changing the keeper. I know OFW had a shocker but the 10 in front of him didn’t help that, just like they didn’t help on Saturday when he could have had man of the match. OFW is still a better keeper that Gill and we need our best players playing until safe.

2. Deal. I do think Murray is a leader but he’ll be away when his contract ends so we’re going to need a new captain so give them some time to try new people that will be here next season.

3. Deal.

4. I really like both O’Hara and especially Wighton. For me, O’Hara is the biggest poacher we’ve had since Nicky Clark, just has a habit of being in the right place at the right time. Wighton has more talent than people (Hearts) give him credit for.

5. Absolutely agree 100%.

6. I’m not sure who is out of contract, but after having a quick look at the squad I think most are under contract or their loan will be due to expire. I’d need to see a list of who is out of contract to see if anyone actually warrants a new deal. I know Murray and Turner will both be away. One thing I would be interested about is bringing some of the loan players back in for next season like a bit of continuity, Mayo and Fraser Murray.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Thu 1 Apr 08:10

Agree in part with most of what you say OzPar.

I would NOT drop OFW - He did suffer against Raith, especially the 3rd goal from a free-kick but was superb against Dundee and has been fans MoM of recent games.

On a personal note, I hope you have not suffered from the recent floods.

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Thu 1 Apr 08:24

In response to OzPar`s points:

1. Agree 100%. I`m sure fon Williams is a great guy and possibly a decent coach but in my recollection has had 1 good game for Pars. He parries too many shots that end up falling to opponents. He has been beaten by shots from distance on numerous occasions. I can`t see how the defence can play with confidence with him behind them. Gill needs o be given an opportunity to prove himself.

2. It makes sense for the captain to be a player who is committed to the club. I agree that on that basis Murray should pass the armband to another player and Comrie is probably the best candidate.

3. We need to set the team up to start creating chances. The forwards aren`t missing goal scoring opportunities, they aren`t getting any. Whether the formation is at fault I`m not sure but the team is missing Dow and Turner and it`s a lot of pressure to put on Henderson and Banks to replace them.

4. McCann has shown nothing when given an opportunity, we have plenty decent forwards with Wighton, O`Hara and Elvis. Play any combination of them, they just need some service.

5. Whittaker was a great player, I hope he makes a decent coach.

6. Ideally contract negotiations can be delayed until the end of the season but right now we could possibly be in any of 3 divisions, although I`m pretty sure it will be the Championship. I`m not sure that continuity of loanees is much of a plus, I`d rather we had the odd one or two playing regularly and develop our own players.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Thu 1 Apr 08:27

Not sure on the OFW one Cammy hasn,t impressed anytime for me and yes in recent weeks Murray doesn,t look like he wants to be here, not sure what Stevie and co see in Mcann he should have been out on loan this season not anywher near the 1st team , the rest of the post makes sense

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Thu 1 Apr 08:33

As long as Crawford sets us up to worry about the opposition it's not going to matter who gets picked imo.

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Thu 1 Apr 08:53

Agree with most of the comments above - please don’t sign up Fraser Murray though, I don’t fancy him at all.

I think we definitely need a new keeper - both OFW and Gill make me nervous - not fussy which one plays for rest of the season.

And Rasta is dead right - let’s set up to try and beat the opposition rather than trying to stop them.

Andy J
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Thu 1 Apr 09:22

In the Press today, Euan Murray questions the gameplan ( did we have one ? )as being to passive , bad show when the captain is unsure of the tactics

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Thu 1 Apr 09:32

Entirely, and fully disagree with your 442 point, it's ridiculous.

The drama with our team was that there was far to much attacking intent, we played with two out and out strikers, two centre midfielders who liked to attack, and two wingers who love going forward. The result? Absolutely ****** 5-1.

Against Raith at EEP we played a 451 with Mayo and Wilson in the middle. We won 4-1.

Just simply putting loads of attackers into a team doesn't equate to attacking intent, it equates to you getting overrun due to having a horribly unbalanced team.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FRED1981  
Date:   Thu 1 Apr 09:59

What is the love fest with Ohara his overall play is well let’s say is nonexistent okay he scores now and again .On Tuesday I lost count of the balls that hit of his foot his control is shocking .It’s about time the coaching staff get him to try and trap a ball because his first touch is abysmal.

F muller
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Thu 1 Apr 10:39

It`s not all about how well you play in a game Fred, he`s scored 2 in his last 2. I couldn`t give a toss if he doesn`t have a great touch, as long as he puts the ball in the onion bag when given the chance. He`s sat on the bench for too long this season, no wonder his touch is off.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bucuresti Par  
Date:   Thu 1 Apr 10:40

The big issue is the midfield - the shape, the balance and the personnel.

We need at least 2 central midfielders regardless of whether we are playing 4-4-2, 4-5-1 or 3-5-2.

That leaves Crawford a choice of two from Wilson, Whittaker, McInroy and Mayo. It is no good putting Fraser Murray or Henderson or even more bizarrely Lewis McCann in there.

Of these I`d go with Whittaker - easily the best defensively and most aggressive and probably Wilson who tries to play at a good tempo. He had a couple of shocking games but he will come good again, the only thing I find frustrating with him is he sometimes plays unnecessary long backwards passes which cause us problems (like with Raith`s 4th goal).

Failing that Mayo has done ok as a defensive central midfielder as well, he adds aggression in there, he might be an option if one of Watson or Gaspuitis are fit.

McInroy has been so poor for a long time now I`d be reluctant to use him.

With 2 genuine central midfielders in there, that leaves 4 players who can focus on attacking. Whether it`s 4-4-2 with Wighton & O`Hara and two from Thomas, Banks & F Murray or 4-5-1 with one central striker, there is more than enough quality to play good attacking football, with both fullbacks getting forward and also one of the central midfielders (Wilson).

Our defenders haven`t become terrible overnight, there needs to be a proper structure in front of them and all of our forwards/attacking wingers can score and create if they are getting decent possession higher up the pitch.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 1 Apr 10:40

Quote:

Grant, Thu 1 Apr 09:32

The drama with our team was that there was far to much attacking intent, we played with two out and out strikers, two centre midfielders who liked to attack, and two wingers who love going forward. The result? Absolutely ****** 5-1.

Against Raith at EEP we played a 451 with Mayo and Wilson in the middle. We won 4-1.

Just simply putting loads of attackers into a team doesn't equate to attacking intent, it equates to you getting overrun due to having a horribly unbalanced team.

Well said, Grant.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Thu 1 Apr 10:55

I`d go with what Grant says as well. Up to the Morton game last week we`d been stuffy and not very interesting to watch, but for the last two the manager has gone with the complete opposite of this, opened the team up to try to attack more and it`s gone spectacularly badly. Asking for more attacking intent is just nonsense. The main problem on Tuesday, by a long way, was that we were ridiculously open. The issue most of the season has been finding a balance that allows the team to compete in games while retaining a threat in attack.

Our best shape this season has been 4-2-3-1, by a long way. When we had Dow, Thomas and Turner playing well in that attacking 3 in midfield we were doing well and showed plenty in attack. The narrow midfield we played at Inverness around Christmas with Lewis Mayo sitting behind the defence in a 4-1-4-1 also worked OK in that game. A basic 4-4-2 might be OK as a change towards the end of a game but there`s no way it suits us as a default setup.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 1 Apr 10:59

I`m being 100% serious when I say this - I honestly think we have people on here who could set up our team better than Crawford & get more out of what we have. I know very little about tactics/formations but when it`s explained simply by Grant then Socks football is really quite a straightforward game.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Thu 1 Apr 11:14

We are a provincial Championship Club and want to replace an International goalkeeper.

Unbelievable Jeff!

Look rewind his performance at Dens Park, as just one example, and then rewrite the post.

Though that does not detract from some valid points by OzPar.

Post Edited (Thu 01 Apr 11:15)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hudza  
Date:   Thu 1 Apr 11:17

McManus is a much better player than O Hara

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Thu 1 Apr 11:52

Not sure I’d agree at the moment, Hudza, though I think McManus has the potential to improve. If he’d just spend a bit less time backing into defenders, feigning fouls and either standing with his arms wide looking shell-shocked or arguing with officials, he’d definitely be a better player. But O’Hara for me is putting in the mileage and trying harder, with better results.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 1 Apr 13:59

Obviously before the season started Crawford thought that O`Hara and McManus were going to be his strikeforce. It`s strange looking back that when they played together at the start it coincided with us winning games and playing well. As soon as there was a slight dip Stevie pressed the panic button.Having just signed them both it seemed that he lost confidence in them as a pair pretty sharpish. We scored 10 goals in our first 3 league games and we`ve scored 20 in the next 18-7 of which were in 2 games v Dundee and Raith! (3 against Dundee were all scored when he made subs and went 2 up front)

We won our first game convincingly against Inverness scoring 3 with 2 up top, next game we struggled against Alloa until we went 2 up front with O`Hara coming on and scoring a hat-trick.No idea why he changed it after such a convincing opening result.

Then he reverted back to starting with the 2 up front for the next game and we bagged 3 at home to QOTS.What happens next game?-he drops O`Hara and we draw 0-0 away to Ayr. Next game is in the cup against Clyde and both front men score after starting. Onto Hearts where we went one up front, which I could understand, and got the result. After that it seems that he decided to persevere with one up front but coincidentally that`s when our form began to slide and we haven`t recovered.

It looked like he had an initial plan to play 2 up front at home with the exception of Hearts and 1 up front away regardless of opposition or our own previous performances. No continuity and no chance for your strikers to build a partnership and their confidence gets sapped sitting on the bench. Despite this between the pair of them they have scored almost half of our total league goals.

I agree that we don`t necessarily need 2 up front but if not you need your midfielders chipping in. Turner scored 1, Thomas 1, F Murray 3 and Dow 2-no other midfielders have scored.That`s a pretty poor return.That means O`Hara has scored one less than all the midfielders combined despite only being given 7 starts.

In the recent games goal scoring hasn`t been the issue but that contributed to our problems initially. Worryingly the defence has lost the plot as well now and the team looked in complete disarray the other night from the keeper right through.

Post Edited (Thu 01 Apr 16:41)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FRED1981  
Date:   Thu 1 Apr 15:41

I had to laugh at my fellow poster saying it doesn’t matter if Ohara has a bad touch,well on Tuesday 4 or 5 times his touch when the ball bounced if him set up raith on the attack which could have led to more goals.

F muller
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Thu 1 Apr 16:06

Totally agree with Grant and Socks as well. Our best shape this season has been 4231, and a big reason we had the best defensive record. If we`d played similar on Tue we may not have won but it wouldn`t have been shooty in like it was.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Thu 1 Apr 16:30

I wouldn’t drop OFW, fact of the matter is he’s the best keeper at our club whether you rate him or not. Can you imagine the score if Gill was in goals at Dundee?

Murray, if comments are true that he’s scouting for a place elsewhere then I’d give someone else the opportunity to captain.

Agree with comments on the attacking style, ironically in the Raith game.....we didn’t attack much though.

I like O’Hara, he’s scoring goals and yeah he’s not perfect but he’s been performing better than McManus. The boy can finish and complements Wighton well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Thu 1 Apr 18:54

1. Not fussed about OFW, hopefully we get better in for next season.

2. 100%, if we could I would drop him, he’s not leading anything on the park and just going through the motions.

3. Agree on attacking intent but the problem is we don’t have the players, we have Whittaker and Wilson and the rest are young raw players who may come good but are certainly not up to this league just now and as loan players couldn’t give a toss about the club and it shows. Whittaker too slow and sits deep so we give up the midfield but Wilson puts a decent shift in. In terms of attackers, banks has shown flashes and Dom looks like he would rather be anywhere else on match day.

4. Agree, mcmanus is poor, works hard but zero quality on the ball and has 3/4 goals from open play all season. Same as last time we had him so either hasn’t improved or is worse. Mid table championship player on his day. O’hara seems to have poor control but at least he knows where the net is. We need shot of McCann, played a few games now and has nothing about him at all.

5. Agree, problem is when you play Whittaker the team sits deeper so we see less of the ball and are not as attacking. We need 2 midfielders in there who have a engine.

5. No contract negotiations until the season ends. If that means a major clear-out, then so be it. Agree on this, all the loans should go back and I would let Whittaker go or have him play as a full back or a versatile sub if not too expensive. Of the players currently on our books, the full backs have been decent this season, the rest have struggled to compete at this level.

We should be looking to take a couple of midfielders from raith, miles better than anything we have.

Post Edited (Thu 01 Apr 18:59)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net