DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Sunday Fitbaw
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 4 Apr 10:55

We take it for granted now that we can watch a football match any day of the week, but it wasn't always the case. Traditionally, Scottish football was played on a Saturday afternoon with occasional midweek games on a Wednesday. Extra games were played on other days at New Year, with the exception of Sundays. Games could be played on Christmas day if it fell on a Saturday but not New Year on a Sunday.

I believe this never on a Sunday tradition was down to resistance from Scottish Presbyterian churches, since predominantly Catholic countries have always played mainly on Sundays. The first Sunday game I can remember attending at EEP was a Scottish Cup tie v Hibs. It finished 1-1 with Mikey Leonard scoring for the Pars.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Sunday Fitbaw
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Sun 4 Apr 11:09

Sunday 27Th Jan 1974.

Falikirk v Dunfermline SCup.

Entrance to the game was by programme only (entrance fee added on) to circumnavigate the entrance fee ban. I can still see the men of the cloth on wooden crates, waving bibles and telling all that we were doomed attending this blasphemous event (They might have had a point it was Brockville). The game was a cracker full house and a 2-2 draw.

Great game in strange circumstances - you donโ€™t forget those.

โ€œ.........your on mute Jordanโ€ ๐Ÿ˜€
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 4 Apr 11:13

That cup tie was played on a Sunday due to the 3 day week.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-Day_Week

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sun 4 Apr 11:30

Angus W, I remember being at that game. I cannot remember segregation at it. Indeed if memory serves me well I remember standing next to a Falkirk fan at it. Perhaps it was because it was a Sunday game. I know my parents weren't happy that I was going to the football on a Sunday, however I cannot ever remember them going to church.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 4 Apr 12:33

Quote:

Angus_W, Sun 4 Apr 11:09

Sunday 27Th Jan 1974.

Falikirk v Dunfermline SCup.

Entrance to the game was by programme only (entrance fee added on) to circumnavigate the entrance fee ban. I can still see the men of the cloth on wooden crates, waving bibles and telling all that we were doomed attending this blasphemous event (They might have had a point it was Brockville). The game was a cracker full house and a 2-2 draw.

Great game in strange circumstances - you donโ€™t forget those.

I had forgotten all about that game and its connection to the 3 day week. The fact that games could be played on *Christmas day but not on a Sunday is a really strange one. Does anyone know when Sunday games became a regular occurrence and whether the Church of Scotland gave way or was just ignored?

Eta *The Pars had their first win at Ibrox on Christmas day 1966.

Post Edited (Sun 04 Apr 12:37)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 4 Apr 13:49

"Eta *The Pars had their first win at Ibrox on Christmas day 1966."

I can`t recall for certain, however I reckon Sunday games became routine when SKY got involved and fixtures had to suit their schedules.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 4 Apr 14:26

"Eta *The Pars had their first win at Ibrox on Christmas day 1966."

Oops! ๐Ÿ˜”

I can`t recall for certain, however I reckon Sunday games became routine when SKY got involved and fixtures had to suit their schedules.

Jings, crivvens and help ma boab! D`you reckon SKY`s money carried more clout than the Kirk, VEE?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Sun 4 Apr 19:26

I remember us beating Berwick Rangers 1 - 0 (John Salton the scorer) on a Sunday on the way to promotion in 1979. Memories of being on the pitch after the match too ๐Ÿ™‚
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sun 4 Apr 19:54

That Falkirk cup replay at EEP in 1974 kicked off at around 2pm on a Wednesday afternoon since floodlighting at sport had been banned by the Heath government. If this was a move designed to turn public opinion against the miners it failed, since the Tories were defeated about a month later. The only goal was scored by Ian Campbell, brother of Dick, with a rather nifty steered volley at the Town End.

Christmas Day football was never a big problem for the Church of Scotland since Xmas was not a public holiday in Scotland until the later 1950s. Sunday football was a different matter though. Bobby Watson of Motherwell refused, on religious grounds, to play on a Sunday when matches were scheduled then due to the three day week.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Roobz  
Date:   Sun 4 Apr 23:33

Did we not play a few Sunday games in 1974? I think the next couple of cup games against QoS and Dundee Utd were also played on Sundays.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Mon 5 Apr 01:13

Yes GG it`s a great tragedy that Sunday has become just the same as any other day. A day of rest to give special attention to the spiritual dimension of our lives and refresh ourselves in the wonderful presence of our great Creator God is good for us all.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Mon 5 Apr 07:04

You are perfectly free to do that if you so wish.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Apr 08:50

Quote:

Paralex, Mon 5 Apr 01:13

Yes GG it`s a great tragedy that Sunday has become just the same as any other day. A day of rest to give special attention to the spiritual dimension of our lives and refresh ourselves in the wonderful presence of our great Creator God is good for us all.

I'm rather surprised that a devout Christian like yourself should adopt such a stance, Paralex. It's reminiscent of the attitudes of the pre-Christian Jewish elite - the Pharisees and Sadducees who criticised Jesus for performing miracles on the Sabbath and suggested he must be in cahoots with Satan. You will be well aware of the disdain Jesus had for those hypocrites who observed the letter of the law, rather than its spirit.

You made no reference to a full card being played on Christmas day, but describe playing on a Sunday as a great tragedy...... you've lost me there. Sunday was the one day most people had off. Saturdays were at best a half day for the working man, meaning rushing home, a quick lunch if time allowed and off to the game, which would have to kick off earlier than 3 pm in winter, before the advent of floodlights.

It would have made much more sense to play games on Sunday afternoons, so fans could organise themselves in a less frenetic manner and attend a church service in the morning if they were minded to. I wonder why this was the case in many European countries but not here?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Apr 09:17

Ah but GG you`re making it sound like a great chore to be in church on the Lord`s Day and to be basking in the presence of God. As the shorter catechism tells us the main purpose of our lives is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. If we can`t find great delight in one day a week spent in His nearer presence, how will we cope with the whole of eternity there. It has nothing whatsoever to do with legalistic observance but everything to do with fulfilling the purpose of our own lives.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Apr 09:26

In the military, Sunday observance for RC`s was a compulsory parade up until 1968 I believe.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Apr 10:47

Quote:

Paralex, Mon 5 Apr 09:17

Ah but GG you`re making it sound like a great chore to be in church on the Lord`s Day and to be basking in the presence of God. As the shorter catechism tells us the main purpose of our lives is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. If we can`t find great delight in one day a week spent in His nearer presence, how will we cope with the whole of eternity there. It has nothing whatsoever to do with legalistic observance but everything to do with fulfilling the purpose of our own lives.

Paralex, I'll keep it brief, as this is the football forum. The numbers regularly attending Sunday church services is less than 1 in 10. I certainly wasn't suggesting that it's a chore, but I do believe that the way you relate to other human beings is more important than going to church for an hour or so, once a week.

You didn't comment on the fact that the Kirk made no objection to football matches being played on Christmas day but was up in arms about Sunday afternoon football. I find it quite bizarre.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Apr 11:09

I would suppose that the observance of Christmas day is not mentioned in the Bible GG. It is a tradition, not an ordinance of creation as in one of the 10 commandments (the sabbath day, now being the Lord`s Day for Christians). Personally speaking I would rather that there was no football on Christmas day but it`s not a great disaster if there is.

Only one in ten going to church GG? I`m not sure what point you are making there. To be honest I would be surprised if it is as many as that. Although we all (sometimes) take great enjoyment from the football, there is a far greater dimension to our lives and an eternal destiny of one kind or another and it does us no harm and hopefully great good to be reminded of that from time to time.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Apr 13:02

Quote:

Paralex, Mon 5 Apr 11:09

I would suppose that the observance of Christmas day is not mentioned in the Bible GG. It is a tradition, not an ordinance of creation as in one of the 10 commandments (the sabbath day, now being the Lord`s Day for Christians). Personally speaking I would rather that there was no football on Christmas day but it`s not a great disaster if there is.

Only one in ten going to church GG? I`m not sure what point you are making there. To be honest I would be surprised if it is as many as that. Although we all (sometimes) take great enjoyment from the football, there is a far greater dimension to our lives and an eternal destiny of one kind or another and it does us no harm and hopefully great good to be reminded of that from time to time.

I was making the point that having football on a Sunday would only pose a potential problem to a relatively small number of people and even then they could usually attend both a church service and go to a game. In cases where that wouldn't be possible, they'd be free to make a choice. Some folk who profess to be Christians get very hung up about following the teachings of the Old Testament literally, while not always acting in a Christian manner towards their fellow humans.

The Pharisees and Sadducees of OT Judaism are still very much alive in Western society today - they just have different names.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Mon 5 Apr 13:15

My first ever Pars game was on a Sunday. 73 or 74, due to, if I remember something to do with electricity being rationed, but I may wrong.

We always used to go and visit my gran and grandad in Lauder Street, once a month and on this particular Sunday, we were playing, I think, Brechin. The only games that I'd ever been to was Tranent Juniors, so this was like going to the Westfalen Stadion in comparison. Can't remember if we won, but it was mind blowing to go to a proper game.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Mon 5 Apr 13:38

Is football played on a Saturday here traditionally because in UK most of the teams are from manufacturing/mining towns, and half day working meant they went straight to the football?

I`ve lived in Austria, now Malta and spent a fair bit of time in Italy, all countries where the Church has a stranglehold, and Sundays nothing is open (particularly Austria) so resembles death, I guess Sunday football is played as there is literally nothing else to do?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Mon 5 Apr 13:42

Quote:

Big T Par, Mon 05 Apr 13:15

My first ever Pars game was on a Sunday. 73 or 74, due to, if I remember something to do with electricity being rationed, but I may wrong.

We always used to go and visit my gran and grandad in Lauder Street, once a month and on this particular Sunday, we were playing, I think, Brechin. The only games that I'd ever been to was Tranent Juniors, so this was like going to the Westfalen Stadion in comparison. Can't remember if we won, but it was mind blowing to go to a proper game.

Pars didnโ€™t exist in 1873/4 mate. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Pรคckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Apr 15:06

Don`t get me wrong GG. The last thing I would try to do is suggest that football should be abolished on a Sunday. That would never achieve anything. And you are quite correct in saying that devotion to God should be from the heart and not from legalistic religious observance. I would be more challenging people to come to the friendship and love for God that compels them to accept His spiritual guidance to humanity that one day of the week given to Him, without the distractions of other unnecessary concerns, is a very healthy way to live. God, who knows us best has our very best wellbeing at heart and His laws, which Jesus didn`t abolish, are very good for us all.

And BigT par, I hope you`re not saying that Tranent Juniors wasn`t a proper game because, as I mentioned before, I played against them in a cup game, which had 1,000 paying customers. Of course when I signed for Neilston Juniors I told them I wouldn`t play on a Sunday. The look on the manager`s face, I interpreted as being, " you`ll be lucky if you play at all, son".

Post Edited (Mon 05 Apr 15:12)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Mon 5 Apr 15:41

Not at all Paralex, just meant that the scale of EEP compared to Foresters was chalk and cheese.

And AAPS ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿ–•

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
ยฉ 2021-- DAFC.net