DAFC.net
Home 22 June 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The current state of our club
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Wed 14 Apr 13:51

Firstly, I have no doubts at all that the players are putting a shift in , not only last night but previous games so I’m not one of those that subscribes to the view SC has lost the dressing room.
However, it is apparent that Stevie has that appearance of a gambler when it comes to how we set up tactically approaching games and while given credit early in the season for changing things at key moments, he’s appearing to me at least showing desperation now.
Defensively we are sound just now after the Rovers drubbing but our midfield tactics are woefully inadequate.
No creativity. Players playing the safe ball rather than attempting through passes.
Forwards clearly frustrated at lack of service meaning they drop deep to get the ball or go wide.
We are sleepwalking into another season outside the playoff spots and the gaffer just seems content that we are not losing rather than winning looking at his tactics.
He really needs to start throwing caution to the wind even if it means route one football if we have any chance at all of securing a playoff spot.
His position is on the line after all should we fail.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The current state of our club
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Wed 14 Apr 14:22

We are going to win the next three games 2 of them by a truckload of goals.

“.........your on mute Jordan” 😀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Wed 14 Apr 14:25

That analysis is way too simplistic.

To say that he needs to be less cautious implies that he`s not trying to attack and is happy setting up defensively. That is not what is happening.

We`re creating nothing in attack mainly because our midfield is dysfunctional. There`s been no balance to it recently specifically because he`s tried to set the team up for attack. It`s meant that we are struggling to compete in midfield and the attacking players are not used.

For a while we were always competitive but rarely exciting to watch, but at Dens he had us wide open to attack more then played a weird shape with the same intention against the Rovers. Both were a spectacular failure, specifically because he tried to attack but in a way that didn`t work. He had strikers all over the place at Cappielow in the cup - intent to attack but didn`t work and made for a shocking game. Last night we had 3 forwards on the park but this left the midfield open, allowed Dundee to dictate play, and didn`t allow us to compete.

The other big issue is that we don`t have much up front to get us up the park when we`re struggling. And we are struggling, obviously. If you have someone up front that you can hit balls up the park to, it gives you a chance of keeping hte ball up there sometimes if that player can compete physically, win some balls in the air and hold it up long enough. None of our forwards are capable of doing that.

He obviously knows it`s poor just now and we`re finding it hard to create many chances, but just hasn`t found a way to change that. It`s not because he hasn`t tried to.

My own preference would probably to go back to being tight and boring, but competitive and organised. Maybe change it later in the game when it gets more open. But, if he did that, he`d get absolutely slaughtered by folk saying he wasn`t trying to win the game. It`s a tough one for any manager to get out of a slump when things just are not working well.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: msgribbin  
Date:   Wed 14 Apr 15:10

Agree with Socks here - more about lack of ability than will to attack

Plan A tactics are to sit deep, attack fast and wide, and play for set pieces - not to dominate possession and play through the midfield. Doesn`t make for entertaining fare and does rely on getting the better of close margins within the match. Those went for us at the beginning of the season but luck plays a big role in football and you can`t always count on getting the better of fine margins. It`s a flawed strategy for any manager - even Mourinho

Midfield in this system mostly supports defensive solidity - the Mayo/Whittaker role. Running the game with creativity from midfield doesn`t then happen. We don`t now have the midfielders to do that. Kyle Turner was the only real offensive centre midfielder we had. Not the perfect player by any means but there was promise there - if I were him, I`d have been frustrated by the tactics. Maybe Steve Crawford had no option but to move him on - I`ve no way of knowing - but claiming that this served the balance of the squad made little sense unfortunately

What we now have is a team that are poor to watch and just not good enough to succeed sadly. We have some good players for sure but a team with no functioning midfield may get the odd decent result through good organisation, opportunism and luck but won`t prosper in the longer term.

We need a fresh approach

Mark G
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Wed 14 Apr 15:31

Henderson - O`Hara

Banks Thomas

Wighton - McManus

Watch the highlights of the Alloa demolition O`Hara is coming deep from midfield.
Hes at his best running onto a ball rather than direct. Henderson has a touch & can spot a pass. Play Banks & Thomas wide - They are both quick, get the ball over the top & they`ll get there & 2 up top for firepower.

“.........your on mute Jordan” 😀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Polt  
Date:   Wed 14 Apr 16:30

Good post socks. Sometimes I just close my eyes with pure frustration and become blind to the analytical side of the game.
I really feel for Stevie at this moment because I really wanted it to work for him.
Regardless he will always be a pars hero of mine as a player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hudza  
Date:   Wed 14 Apr 17:19

We should be doing much better than we are. Manager is to blame - out his depth - get rid!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pacifist  
Date:   Wed 14 Apr 18:03

A team that can`t score has a problem. I think we have failed to score in 9 of our last 15 games. When we have talented strikers but the tactic seems be to punt the ball up to wee guys and hope we get a break on one of the few occasional times it doesn`t come back is pretty desperate.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 14 Apr 19:55

What was apparent last night was the amount of players that Dundee got into attacking positions from midfield. At least two or three times, I think they were four on three, but didn’t make the most of the situations.
How often do we outnumber the defenders. ? Not enough players willing to bust a gut to get up and support and get into the box.

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParfectXI  
Date:   Wed 14 Apr 20:47

Even if somehow Crawford pulls a blinder and gets 9 points in the next 3 games I’d still like to see a change in the management trio. We have been awful to watch for a big chunk of the season, we were awful to watch for a large part of last season and the season before.

I’d be seriously thinking twice about paying for a season ticket to see another Crawford team.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Thu 15 Apr 00:58

I'd hardly say we are defensively sound, dundee could have had 2 or 3 yesterday we were thumped off raith not too long ago either so we are hardly defensively sound.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net