DAFC.net
Home 22 June 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Derry City FC
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 19 Apr 21:01

Documentary about the above club is about to start on BBC2.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Derry City FC
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Mon 19 Apr 23:45

Just watched it on iPlayer, really good programme. I did like the Martin McGuinness story near the end.

I was at the Gretna v Derry City UEFA Cup match at Motherwell in 2006 and the Derry City fans were amazing, they never stopped singing and cheering from well before the match until it ended. I`ve always remembered that, but I didn`t really appreciate why they were so emotional about their club until I watched this documentary.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Tue 20 Apr 09:02

Being the bitter man I am I still hold a grudge against them after how condescending their fans were during the Kenny debacle.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Tue 20 Apr 09:10

I was also at that Gretna v Derry game and I still reckon it’s one of the best footballing performances I’ve seen live. Their fans were incredible.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 20 Apr 09:27

I was hoping Stephen Kenny would get a mention but the time period covered didn`t extend that far. I see Declan Devine is the current manager. Wasn`t he SK`s assistant at EEP?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Tue 20 Apr 09:40

Quote:

wee eck, Tue 20 Apr 09:27

I was hoping Stephen Kenny would get a mention but the time period covered didn`t extend that far. I see Declan Devine is the current manager. Wasn`t he SK`s assistant at EEP?

He was indeed.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Tue 20 Apr 10:37

Brandywell a nice little ground. Been a couple of times when working over there

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 07:20

Just got round to watching this. A must see for all fans of smaller clubs. Heart warming, uncomfortable, educational - quite a journey. And 19.000 fans for a cup tie in Cork - a 10 hour round trip.

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Fri 23 Apr 08:10)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 11:29

“I see Declan Devine is the current manager. Wasn`t he SK`s assistant at EEP?”

He was sacked yesterday. I look out for their results as my wife is from Derry. Hoping to get to a game when things go back to normal.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 14:16

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 23 Apr 07:20

Just got round to watching this. A must see for all fans of smaller clubs. Heart warming, uncomfortable, educational - quite a journey. And 19.000 fans for a cup tie in Cork - a 10 hour round trip.

Its was a great watch GG, I think what made it for me was how it was all about the fans. It did make me nostalgic for those days, when the Cage was a heaving cauldron of passion. That's all been lost to the game now, they have sanitised the game, made it all about money, to the point where it is a poor imitation of itself
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sat 24 Apr 11:47

I`m sure Pars played there in a friendly in the 1990`s, not sure if any Pars fans went.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: maradona86  
Date:   Sat 24 Apr 12:12

Quote:

Par, Sat 24 Apr 11:47

I`m sure Pars played there in a friendly in the 1990`s, not sure if any Pars fans went.

28th July 1991 according to a programme on eBay
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 24 Apr 12:53

"I`m sure Pars played there in a friendly in the 1990`s, not sure if any Pars fans went."

I wonder why ?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sat 24 Apr 13:11

Just watched it, brilliant just shows the power of football.

Favourite quotes - "we used to watch from the graveyard and then they planted these trees......bastards!

the chairman after Martin McGuiness dealt with the bomb that was putting the Benfica game in doubt. "Maybe Martin had more experience dealing with these that the average Derry Fan"

One of the most poignant songs to come out of Derry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH8fuEcNubs

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Sat 24 Apr 13:26

Am I correct in saying that, Derry and Londonderry is the same place, but depending on what religion you are, is how it's known?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Sat 24 Apr 13:51

Londonderry is the unionist/loyalist name for the city. Nationalists refer to it as Derry. Dunfermline did play them.as part of Northern Ireland tour. Also played in Larne, Bangor, Ballymena and Portadown.I went to the games in Larne, Bangor and Ballymena but didn`t go to Portadown or Derry
Was during the troubles and it was an interesting experience to say the least.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 24 Apr 13:57

Quote:

Big T Par, Sat 24 Apr 13:26

Am I correct in saying that, Derry and Londonderry is the same place, but depending on what religion you are, is how it's known?

Yes, Derry/Londonderry, also known as Slash City. Probably doesn't so much depend on what religion you are (although for some it will be a big factor) but more on what on if you are an Irish nationalist or a unionist
The ancient name for it is Doire which was later anglicised to Derrie. London got added later by colonisers
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Sat 24 Apr 14:23

Thanks guys. Thought that. That must be one, divided city.

Is there a Unionist team, from the city, that play Derry?

Post Edited (Sat 24 Apr 14:23)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net