DAFC.net
Home 22 June 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Scottish fitba
Topic Originator: Polt  
Date:   Tue 20 Apr 23:20

Read Stanza comments about League 1 teams only losing narrowly against premiership teams and drop in standard of Premier league up here.

Tie that in with the farcical European super league and the backlash from fans. Pretty sure Celtic and Rangers secretly fuming.

Where now for scottish football and how do you think the leagues need to progress to a higher standard again?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Scottish fitba
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Tue 20 Apr 23:27

Not just "League One teams" - it was the three worst teams in League One!

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 20 Apr 23:54

Expand the leagues. Attempting to create a calendar that has so called meaningful games has really just created a league system where clubs in the Premier League, even comparatively big clubs, are happy to not get relegated.

If teams want to take a longer term view to player development its so much harder when one bad season can relegate you and its not always straight forward to go back up.

I don't buy into meaningless games being poor to watch either. They can often be highly entertaining and I've watched some amount of dross in our " more competitive" league set up.

In fairness and credit where its due, the pyramid system was a step in the right direction.

Negotiate a proper tv deal. I think we still earn less than Rugby League on a per game basis and have more viewers although I'm prepared to be corrected on this point as I think I might have read some out of date info - not sure if it's still the case.

Do a better job of sharing the cash around. Money doesn't buy success but it certainly helps. Most of the small clubs are pretty well run when you look at what they survive on now so hopefully they'd continue to spend any extra cash wisely and improve their own quality which in turn hopefully benefits the quality of the league which leads to bigger TV revenues which means more can be invested back into the clubs.

Football tickets include free travel on public transport to the game locally and a discounted rate nationally.

Install safe standing areas.

Sell beer at the games. Take action against folk that can't handle beer at a game. Go loco and let people stand with a beer and watch the game. Make it expensive so clubs make money and the fans are too tight to throw it at anyone else and are forced to drink it.

Reinstate European places for the League Cup and allow runners up of both cups to qualify even if this means the "country gets humiliated" when the team gets papped out by part time fisherman from Iceland.

Try to run more events for fans on match days. Appreciate this isn't the easiest thing to do for skint clubs but sometimes even an event that's a bit ***** can be carried off if you've got decent club ambassadors. It's a good way to link in old players with the club and nice for fans to meet their hero's.

Improve media content delivery for fans. I'm actually not a fan of quite a few of the newer ways that you can interact with clubs but even if I don't enjoy some things personally it's clear others do. Scottish football needs to get better at it and connect with fans better.

Keep ticket prices affordable and see if its genuinely financially viable to cap away ticket prices for travelling fans.

Get rid of any league split. Despite what gets sold to us as a product finishing sixth is not an achievement. Getting the opportunity to be spanked by the tribute act to the old firm in another two games is not an achievement. If your league is that dull
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 20 Apr 23:55

Doh! I forgot about the post limit.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 20 Apr 23:57

Other points clipped I think were.

Playoffs should only be on the promotion side.

Improve access to ladies football and invest in the game so that continues to improve.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Polt  
Date:   Wed 21 Apr 01:05

That's a good detailed post Londonparsfan. Detailed and like you agree that the play Offs should only benefit those that earned it. 2 teams relegated and camps and play off winners promoted.

Think the reduced public transport prices would be difficult, without help from scot gov.

Safe standing is i think a great idea and to be honest would be easy to implement. You stated about fairer distribution of prize monies. Rightly so.
My issue here is in SPFL itself setting rules to which clubs must abide and ensure is maintained by the club board. They set standards on lighting, playing surfaces and stadia. Yet they distribute only £45000 to the lowest ranked team in the league. That in my opinion is unsustainable for a club to meet Thier league registration obligations. (Yet they gift a parachute payment of 3 times that to relegated premiership team)

The leagues I feel need revamped, pyramid system is a Godsend and teams are making full use of it. Cove and Edinburgh doing well in their respective leagues. I would like to see more progress though. I would welcome back the old div 1 and 2 14 teams each and allow a 3rd division based on 4 remaining teams and 5 each from lowland and Highland. I feel there is little difference in Celtic vs rangers playing 3 times rather than 4. 2 down and 2 up. Euro place for cups as you say.

TV deals always an issue since we went with setanta instead of sky. However i feel that things are going to be better for lower league teams with regards to being able to stream content. I would like to see a league season pass. Women's football alongside men's to increase interest. I used to love going to women's internationals at tynecastle when I done support work. It needs more exposure and it is getting there slowly but surely.

Online content! Streaming! I would love to watch some other teams games occasionally as part of a digital season pass.

My opinion might not agree with others but let's hear what you got to say/suggest for scottish football to move forward.

Thanks Londonparsfan enjoyed your post.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Wed 21 Apr 07:39

These are all great ideas, I think the smaller size has been exciting but has had its day, it`s too difficult to build anything sustainable when every game means so much- look at our forum for example, we lose a few games and people go ballistic, that`s not normal.

Also it`s impossible to budget, it`s just constant firefighting just to remain full time.

The bottom line is money, Scotland easily can support 40 or 50 senior clubs, but maintaining a full time club is a money pit, how is it possible to maintain stability?

I think our club is way up there when it comes to transparency, social media etc but how much do we really need? There`s a limit there also I think.

It`s a good time to rethink though, certainly streaming games for diddy teams like us is definitely great, even more so for smaller teams- you don`t have to have 50 000 viewers, an extra 400 paying worldwide for Stenhousemuir for example would make a big difference.

Certainly it`s given us time to think.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 21 Apr 09:11

"Football tickets include free travel on public transport to the game locally and a discounted rate nationally."

Who is going to pay for these "free" tickets ?

"Negotiate a proper tv deal."

That assumes there is an audience willing to pay for coverage, and a platform willing to provide it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Apr 13:51

Cheers Polt and Neils and I agree with your posts too.

VEE on the free transport I'm not sure how much of a cost there actually is as the idea is that you use existing capacity on transport. I stole it from German football where your match ticket allows a degree of free transport over local regions.

Will do a bit more reading at some point as to how the financing works but I know AAPS and Big T are well versed in German football so they might be able to save me some reading.

In relation to the TV deal there had been analysis done on the previous deal that indicated that the revenue per game was lower than things like Rugby League relative to viewing figures and other more comparable smaller European Countries. It wouldn't involve increasing viewers or cost to have negotiated a better deal. I'm not as familiar with the most recent one so I probably should have read more before I included it, I was making an assumption that as previous years one's appeared under valued that the most recent one would be do but as caveated above I'm happy to be corrected!
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net