DAFC.net
Home 08 May 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Martin Hardie day, ten years on!
Topic Originator: DAVEDAFC  
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 00:22

Hard to believe it’s been ten years now since that iconic cry of “get thum back ref, that’s nivvir tan yairds!”

What are everyone’s memories of that day?

I recently wrote a piece looking back on that day and season, with quotes from Austin McCann and Joe Cardle.

[URL]https://parstalk.co.uk/f/winning-in-style-dunfermline-athletics-2011-title-win‬[/URL]

‪Have a read! ‬

Any feedback appreciated!

‪🏁‬

The DBuick22 YouTube channel, home of the ParsTalk podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtcOarggXvuccF4k0ERQO0Q

Post Edited (Fri 23 Apr 00:22)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Martin Hardie day, ten years on!
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 00:41

What a day. I was living in Aberdeen at the time and got the 7am train down to Inverkeithing and was on the peeve on the train. Went to the East Port before hand and then to the game.
I recall Chris Smith made a mess of their goal just before half time in a half we dominated and then Hardie took over in the 2nd half. Although later heard he was on the verge of being taken off with injury and had to have an injection at half time.
I kept a few newspaper clippings of the Sunday Papers the day after and the game was on the back page of every one. 11k sell out too. Tremendous advert for the Championship and football in Fife at the time.
That season was probably my most enjoyable as a Pars fan. Those last 3 games were absolute Carlsberg stuff - The Rovers game, winning the League in the sunshine at Cappielow and pumping Falkirk on title day when they brought about 20 fans. Great days.

Awight Pat!

Post Edited (Fri 23 Apr 00:48)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 00:52

Actually another thing I recall about that Falkirk game was Stephen "pishy brown shoes" Pressley getting some brown brogues thrown in his vicinity as well in the dugout.

Awight Pat!

Post Edited (Fri 23 Apr 00:53)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 05:52

Quote:

Frank Butchers LoveHandles, Fri 23 Apr 00:52

Actually another thing I recall about that Falkirk game was Stephen "pishy brown shoes" Pressley getting some brown brogues thrown in his vicinity as well in the dugout.

The noise in the North West was incredible that day. I remember having to shout to my daughter who was just sitting next to me so she could hear what I was saying and that wasn’t just at the goal celebrations.
Strangely enough even when the Rovers went into the lead I was confident we would win. I was more nervous the following week at Morton.
Sammy the Tammy.legend
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 06:14

Quote:

parsmad68, Fri 23 Apr 05:52

Quote:

Frank Butchers LoveHandles, Fri 23 Apr 00:52

The noise in the North West was incredible that day. I remember having to shout to my daughter who was just sitting next to me so she could hear what I was saying and that wasn’t just at the goal celebrations.
Strangely enough even when the Rovers went into the lead I was confident we would win. I was more nervous the following week at Morton.
Sammy the Tammy.legend

I'm the exact same, such was our dominance, I just felt we'd be alright in the second half. And what a half it was!

I was still absolutely bricking it at Morton when we were 1-0 up though, even though Raith were getting beat it just seemed to be going too well, and then Davie Graham went on a wee run...

I remember Austin McCann getting held back at the end of the Raith game, he was getting it right up a Raith player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 07:33

Red star par made me chuckle on another thread last week by stating...

"That's never 10 years" 🤣🤣

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.

Post Edited (Fri 23 Apr 07:33)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 08:22

Agree with what everyone is saying those 3 matches were just awesome and dare I say it the last time we really had something to celebrate.

Since then it's been hard following the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 08:40

Nearly a full house ( how times have changed ) and sitting in the NW ( not my usual spot ) made for a great day.
Raith started the better team and I feared the worst for half an hour.
I was sat next to my old boss, who is a Raith fan and was a sponsor of the team, so it was good to get it right up him.

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 09:10

Great day.

Think nostalgia has smoothed the rough edges of that free kick. A decent goalie would have had that covered no problem - thank goodness Andy McNeil - which was a far cry from the other goalie they used to have around that period who always seemed to play out of his skin against us !!

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gem 1977  
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 10:02

Raymie, I remember it differently. It was constant waves of attacks from the Pars. We could`ve been 3-0 up within that half hour.

Here's to the first of the day, fellas! To old D.H. Lawrence.
Neh! Neh! Neh! Fuh! Fuh! Fuh! Indians

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 10:09

Quote:

Gem 1977, Fri 23 Apr 10:02

Raymie, I remember it differently. It was constant waves of attacks from the Pars. We could`ve been 3-0 up within that half hour.

That's how I remember it as well.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: evo!  
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 10:29

10 years since the Tank as well!

BEAST!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 10:36

We were brilliant on the day. For once we turned up for the occasion. Our form towards the end of that season was phenomenal (well certainly after Alex Keddie guided the ball into the Morton net......

11,000 at a Fife derby. Wonder if we'll ever see that again.

I miss EEP

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 10:55

memory clearly not what it used to be!
I guess I was worried for a spell either side of when they took the lead?

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 10:58

Who was the Rovers` manager at that time?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: maradona86  
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 11:01

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 23 Apr 10:58

Who was the Rovers` manager at that time?

John McGlynn
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 11:10

Thanks, maradona. Maybe that`s an omen!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 13:50

John McGlynn absolutely buckled under the pressure, he dropped Dave McGurn on the run in for McNeil which would prove to be vital, on the day he also played Stephen Simmons out wide.

We won the league at cappielow and we laughed at John McGlynn!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 15:46

The Rovers definitely weren`t the better team in the first half. We were all over them for the enitre half but just couldn`t score. Andy Kirk hit the bar, hitting a cross on the volley, and would have been an outstanding goal had it gone in. They scored out of nothing just before half-time when Chris Smith spilled a fairly weak header from a free kick and Baird poking in the rebound. Them leading 1-0 was one of the most unjust half-time scores I`ve ever seen.

The equaliser was a simple header from a corner, and was probably the more important goal since a draw would keep us top by a point. Good free kick to go ahead and you felt the Rovers had to do something and come back into it, but they remained utterly abject and didn`t really threaten an equaliser, barring a few balls across goal in the general direction of Gregory Tade.

It finished 2-1, but we played them off the park from start to finish. 4-0 would have been about right. It was a great day, but after such a nervous week of build-up, I was really glad when it was over.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 16:05

I remember the game a bit differently to others.

We absolutely mauled them and lost a stupid goal due to Chris Smith`s chocolate wrists. I`m sure we hit the bar and post in the first half as well. Football we played was just simply, simply lovely. Second half doesn`t need any words. All I would say is, though, Tade had a great chance to make it 2-0 out of nowhere and put it over the bar. His technique was correct to try and direct it with the side foot, but the trajectory was too high. Bit of a let off. BMMMH did the rest. What a day. the noise was unreal.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 16:16

Watched the highlights back last year during lockdown and McNeil was Honking, came for a long diagonal freekick from the halfway line area in the first half that he flapped at and just got a finger tip to then another long diagonal cross he was nowhere near that almost ended up inside the back post after it bounced over him.

Delayed kick off and everything that day due to the crowds all added to the occation.

Post Edited (Fri 23 Apr 16:44)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 20:16

Remind you of anyone ? 😂

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 20:33

I was above and behind the goal in the Norrie. The ball entered the keepers left hand side about 1.5 metres from the ground which seemed quite remarkable that he got it up and over the wall so well. It was good to see him at one of my old teams Yoker Athletic, about 5 or 6 years ago. Wonder where he is now.

Post Edited (Fri 23 Apr 20:34)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Fri 23 Apr 21:27

Tbh I can’t remember anything after 7pm that day apart from the wife dragging me through the front door and I was shouting “ohhhhh Iv got a hardie..... the feking Martin Hardie”...... Great days!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parzdaft  
Date:   Sat 24 Apr 11:30

the Hardie free kick was a decent moment but pales in significance to the Petrie goal at Tannadice in 96.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Skid Chicane  
Date:   Sat 24 Apr 19:58

I worked beside the refs wife, and remember her speaking about him being nervous about his biggest game to date. Afterwards I did say I thought he had a good game despite thinking the free kick for the Hardie goal was a tad soft.

Was a fantastic atmosphere. I particularly remember the northeast stand being particularly manic even before the game started.

I'm not one to pour over videos, however in my memory, the Hardie goal went in the top right corner from behind the goals. I watched recently and was gobsmacked as this obviously went in the opposite corner!

I agree with comments above, despite being a brilliant game, Tannadice 96 is difficult to beat.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net