DAFC.net
Home 08 May 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Roy Barry interview
Topic Originator: Ronaldo  
Date:   Mon 26 Apr 12:45

During my working life, my path has crossed that of three members of the Royal Family, two men who’ve walked on the moon and one US President … but meeting Dunfermline Athletic legend Roy Barry was on a whole different level. You can read the interview here: https://bit.ly/2QwNcWe

Post Edited (Mon 26 Apr 14:42)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Roy Barry interview
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Mon 26 Apr 13:28

Quote:

Ronaldo, Mon 26 Apr 12:45

During my working life, my path has crossed that of three members of the Royal Family, two men who’ve walked on the moon and one US President … but meeting Dunfermline Athletic legend Roy Barry was on a whole different level: https://bit.ly/2QwNcWe

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 06:11

``During my working life, my path has crossed that of three members of the Royal Family, two men who’ve walked on the moon and one US President, ``

Well, none of that lot ever lifted the Scottish Cup. Which happened 53 years ago to this day. Thanks for a well presented article.

That Dunfermline defence was very difficult to penetrate. We had pace in both full back positions, an aggressive centre half, and a tall cover defender who dealt with any crosses played to the back post. Bent Martin claimed the rest.

Within a couple of months of arriving at EEP Roy Barry had established himself as a crowd favourite although he played in midfield initially, netting 6 goals in his first season. During kick about games older teenagers would clatter into you and claim to be ‘Beastie Barry’ or ‘The Iron Man.’ A song about being part of ‘Dunfermline’s Barry Boys’ echoed from the North Enclosure.

A move to centre half the following season helped transform the Pars into the very tight unit that went to Parkhead and outplayed the reigning European Cup holders. In his three years with the club Roy also captained a winning side at Ibrox, winning four matches against the Old Firm and drawing two. I don’t think any Pars captain has matched that record, far less combined a Scottish Cup win with the semi final of a European competition.

I’d probably struggle to remember more than half a dozen key moments in Roy’s time at Dunfermline but what remains clear to this day is the style in which he played, the way he turned defending into a display of heroic defiance. It was quite something to behold.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 07:42

The accolade "legend" is much overused in football. Roy Barry is the most deserving Pars player to feature in our Hall of Fame, in spite of spending a relatively short part of his career at EEP.

That Hearts allowed him to leave Tynecastle at all - and for a small fee at that - is completely baffling. He was a regular starter in the team that lost out on the title on goal average to Kilmarnock in 1965. And while he did play in the 0-2 home defeat by the Rugby Park club, which gave them the title by 0.142 of a goal on goal average, he was crucially absent in the incredible game which inflicted the real damage to Hearts title aspirations - a 7-1 home thrashing by Dundee.

Like Sammer, I recall him playing in midfield in the No. 8 jersey. He bagged a few goals, but he was no Alex Smith, who'd moved to Rangers. He really came into his own when he was moved to centre half. Although he was quite small for a stopper, he could outjump much taller players, he was quick and mobile on the ground, too and he was fiercely combative and tigerish in the tackle. A natural leader and inspirational captain.

I have only a few distinct memories of him. In the fantastic 5-4 game v Celtic in November 1966, he crashed a clearance into the body of Jimmy Johnstone which rebounded freakishly into the net to make the score 3-2 to the Pars, just before half time. Although Alex Ferguson made it 4-2 at the start of the second half, that Celtic team, who would win every trophy they played for, including the European Champions Cup, fought back to equalise. Roy then conceded a last minute penalty for a handball and we ended up losing the best Pars game I've ever seen in 58 years.

In a European game v Guardia Warsaw, with the Pars attacking incessantly, Barry slipped on the halfway line as a clearance flew over his head. Guardia's No 9 was away like a whippet and a goal seemed inevitable with only the goalie to beat. Amazingly, Roy got back and dispossessed him cleanly, just outside the box and came away with the ball to start another attack.

Towards the end of his time at EEP, I recall a game v Morton. Early on the linesman missed a palpable off side by Morton's No. 7, who fired in a cross from which they almost scored. Roy went over to enquire about the linesman's eyesight and the ref promptly sent him off. I think it was after this game that he put in a transfer request as he felt was a marked man among Scottish referees and his suspensions were longer each time as previous dismissals were taken into account.

He was later granted his wish and moved to top flight Coventry City, for the risible sum of £40,000. Coventry manager, Noel Cantwell described him as the Bargain of the Century. A few years later, I attended an evening with former Pars and Raith manager, George Farm, in Kirkcaldy. There were plenty of Pars fans there and one asked Farm why he had allowed Barry to leave. Farm replied that he had turned down Barry's request because he was his meal ticket. Barry then replied that he'd take an opponent out in the next game and be banned sine die. According to Farm, he almost did exactly that in a game at Easter Road, right in front of the dugout, but escaped with a booking. Farm agreed to his transfer during the interval. I wasn't at the game in question, so I don't know if it's true or a figment of his fertile imagination.

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Tue 27 Apr 13:15)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 08:23

Sammer - I can’t recall the Pars winning at Ibrox except for 3-2 Xmas 1965 and Jim Leishman’s often quoted 4-3 in 1972.

Did Roy play in the first ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 08:32

I don`t think Roy played in the 1965 3-2 game vee

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 08:33

Good posts sammer and G.G.

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 08:42

"I don`t think Roy played in the 1965 3-2 game vee"

Agreed, he was still with Hearts I`m thinking.

However, I stand corrected - the Pars beat Rangers 1-0 at Ibrox in `66/67 with Shug Robertson netting.

The date was April 1st - no comment !!!

Post Edited (Tue 27 Apr 11:54)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 09:40

That`s a fantastic read.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 11:12

Quote:

GG Riva, Tue 27 Apr 07:42
. Farm replied that he had turned down Barry's request because he was

Canny cut it off there GG!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 11:20

The cup was won midweek when the TV interviewed the 2 captains, Roy absolutely slaughtered George Miller live on air.

The win became a foregone conclusion!🤔🍾🏆🏅
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 13:08

Quote:

Grant, Tue 27 Apr 11:12

Quote:

GG Riva, Tue 27 Apr 07:42
. Farm replied that he had turned down Barry's request because he was

Canny cut it off there GG!

I don't know what happened there, Grant. The whole post was there before I went back to edit a wee auto correct error. Will try and fix it now.

Eta. That's it fixed now.

Post Edited (Tue 27 Apr 13:16)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 13:19

My goodness, I remember that interview now, Lochgelly! I think it was on STV.

Sammer says he has only a few distinct memories of Roy. That`s unusual for him, but I know what he means. When I think of Roy, the word "presence" comes to mind. Like those characters you occasionally meet in life who can light up a room with their presence, Roy could do the same on a football pitch.

Although not a tall man, he was 100% muscle and played with a controlled aggression that dampened the creativity of even the most outstanding opposition players.

When I picture Roy playing for the Pars, it is of a moment caught in time when he is standing in our half just outside the centre circle at EEP heading a high ball with immense power and direction deep into the opposition`s half. No idea when or who against, but it`s a very clear memory that in its own simple way sums up Roy Barry`s very distinctive style of play.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 13:34

That was a super article, Ronaldo. You really captured the essence of the man and the times. They were great days.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 13:43

The two games v West Brom were his outstanding performances, especially the away leg.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 14:12

Just to add a small detail to Ozpar’s enduring image of Roy Barry bulleting a header back into the opponent’s half. Roy had a technique of placing his arm across the centre forward’s chest in order to get as tight as possible when timing his jump. Very few have ever copied this. Often centre halves are penalised for putting their leading arm over the striker’s shoulder as they are judged to be pushing him down (even when I suspect they aren’t.)

GG, I hadn’t heard that George Farm story and it seems we did play, and lose 2-0 at Easter Road, about a month before Roy’s last game for us. But it’s hard to believe Roy would have announced such a dubious ploy, never mind leaving his team to play a man short. A sine die ban might have been limited to Scottish football but I can’t imagine any English manager being able to persuade his directors to fork out money for a player in that precarious situation. It sounds to me like something Roy said in a moment of frustration that George Farm has elaborated upon.

If you compare the playing styles of Roy Barry and John Greig they were fairly similar. Greig was probably a more effective wing half but Roy was a far more commanding central defender. Greig picked up fairly regular bookings from memory but I don`t remember him being handed the long suspensions dished out to Roy and later Alex Edwards.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 14:41

"GG, I hadn’t heard that George Farm story and it seems we did play, and lose 2-0 at Easter Road, about a month before Roy’s last game for us. But it’s hard to believe Roy would have announced such a dubious ploy, never mind leaving his team to play a man short. A sine die ban might have been limited to Scottish football but I can’t imagine any English manager being able to persuade his directors to fork out money for a player in that precarious situation. It sounds to me like something Roy said in a moment of frustration that George Farm has elaborated upon."

Yes, that`s a very plausible explanation of events, Sammer. I wasn`t suggesting Farm`s version was completely accurate and had my doubts then and even more so now I`m much older and hopefully, wiser. Farm was maybe trying to justify selling our finest ever defender for a mere £40k, which wasn`t a fantastic sum of money even then. I`m quite friendly with Roy and often speak to him at EEP on matchdays, but have never asked him for his side of the story. I must put that right next time I see him.

Ronaldo, I hadn`t realised you penned that article yourself, further evidence that my wits are dimming. :-( It`s a very fine piece of journalism. Brilliant, in fact.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 16:04

A superb read Ronaldo ..... Many thanks for sharing... that brought back some wonderful memories for me and I would think many others of my age

I loved the European nights .. the buzz in the Town .. getting of the bus and running down piggies lane and the floodlights a welcome beacon for all the fans heading to the ground

Many many great memories

Post Edited (Tue 27 Apr 16:09)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 16:43

Roy Barry was my dads favourite footballer, and I was regaled with tales of his exploits as a kid, and so when I seen him in the lounge at EEP I did approach him with some trepidation. He was however, a complete gentleman, a really lovely guy. Still.... Even then.... In his mid 70s.....there was that feeling that he could snap your neck if he fancied it
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 21:43

As a small young boy, I remember watching him for the Pars and to me he was a giant. I was shocked to meet him again when I was an adult and realise that he is not that tall. However, what he lacked in physical inches, he more than made up for with all his other attributes. Best centre half for the Pars I have ever seen.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net