DAFC.net
Home 08 May 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 60 Years Ago Today
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Mon 26 Apr 18:15

A damp April night and those who remember it are now officially OAPs. The Movietone clip below captures the blood and thunder tackling which has now been eliminated from the game. Pathe News were more interested in crowd reaction shots and managed to miss both goals so I haven’t bothered with their link.

https://youtu.be/xlU_6bn8Y9w

The version most of us know best came courtesy of STV. The Scotsport film unit had a habit of shooting from the roof of Bovril kiosks across Scotland but their position here, in the old North Stand at Hampden, does them credit. Commentator Arthur Montford regarded our Cup victory as one of his most memorable matches and he had the presence of mind to follow the team bus home to Dunfermline and film the reaction on the streets.

https://youtu.be/VFW-e3WzCc8

sammer
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 60 Years Ago Today
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Mon 26 Apr 18:32

Sammer, hope this works.
https://youtu.be/xlU_6bn8Y9w
https://YouTube.be/VFW-e3WzCc8

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 26 Apr 18:47

Thanks for that sammer and yorkie .. lump in ma throat here .. I was there and will never forget it .. wish I had a bunnet shop back then :-

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 26 Apr 18:51

Maw and Paw wouldn`t let me go to the replay as it was a school the next day - nowadays you could report them for child neglect !!!

Post Edited (Mon 26 Apr 20:06)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Mon 26 Apr 20:03

Always enjoy listening to AAPS reminiscing about this game, whenever he's got a drink in him. Very lucky to have witnessed history.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 26 Apr 20:09

The 0-0 first game on the Saturday must have been a relief for Frank Haffey - he`d lost 9 goals at Wembley the previous weekend !!!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 26 Apr 22:09

Missed replay and celebrations, still at Camdean, so a school day!😪😪😪
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Mon 26 Apr 22:37

That was amazing! I was 3,but dad kept going on about it for years !
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FRED1981  
Date:   Mon 26 Apr 22:44

Eddie Connachans display in the replay was unbelievable I was kept of the school from the Monday because they wouldn’t think it was to go to the game .I will never forget the people cheering the buses all the way home many had pars scarves.

F muller
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ianoappar  
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 08:20

I was 14 and there at both games with my Dad,Connachons display rightfully got him all the praise it deserved.We travelled though in a car and on the way home streets were lined with well wishers.I had my scarf out of the window and coming through Kincardine someone managed to snatch it,even so great memories.that live with you forever.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 08:59

These aspects have been covered before but still remarkable - Pars right winger Tommy MacDonald went down with appendicitis on the eve of the first game forcing Big Jock to rejig his lineup and give Dan McLindon the nod.

For the replay Celtic`s left back John Kennedy suffered the same affliction and Willie O`Neill deputised.

Celtic astonishingly allowed their playmaker Bertie Peacock to go on international duty with Northern Ireland for both games.

Bertie Auld, who could have been a threat to the Pars, was left to play in the reserves that Saturday.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: steaua  
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 14:25

Was without doubt the most amazing and exciting time to be a pars fan. Was at both games, and will never forget leaving Glasgow that night with anything and everything being thrown at our buses. Also, what I will forever remember was when we started to go through the villages just after Glasgow, the people were out lining the roads and cheering our buses back. No motorway at that time. It was so exciting and when we arrived back to the Toun, we were waitng for the team bus, with the players and the cup to appear at the Toun Hoose. Me and my pals were standing just in front of the then Liptons shop. I was 18 years old. xx

Post Edited (Tue 27 Apr 14:28)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 16:45

Quote:

steaua, Tue 27 Apr 14:25

Was without doubt the most amazing and exciting time to be a pars fan. Was at both games, and will never forget leaving Glasgow that night with anything and everything being thrown at our buses. Also, what I will forever remember was when we started to go through the villages just after Glasgow, the people were out lining the roads and cheering our buses back. No motorway at that time. It was so exciting and when we arrived back to the Toun, we were waitng for the team bus, with the players and the cup to appear at the Toun Hoose. Me and my pals were standing just in front of the then Liptons shop. I was 18 years old. xx

Lovely Post, thank you Marv
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net