DAFC.net
Home 27 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 25 Years Ago Today
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 20:03

Dundee United 0 - Pars 1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 25 Years Ago Today
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 20:05

I`m sure I hit preview there, not post. Never mind.

25 years later it`s still my favourite Pars game.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 20:55

No team in the history of football has ever celebrated a keeper catching the ball like we did with Westie.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 21:14

I remember the day well, I was on a departmental team building meeting. I knew that were winning but I was frightened to check the final score. My colleagues were pleased that they saw me happy. Although I missed that game I was at EEP for the Airdrie game.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 21:32

Was an amazing day, I`ve never heard the Pars fans making so much noise. The press wrote us off in the morning papers and Pars fans gave it to them big in the press boxes at the back of the stand and seemingly the noise from the fans was loud enough in the dressing rooms below our stand for Bert Paton not to need to give a half time team talk he just left it to the fans.

We rode our luck but we did have someone looking after us from above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQrYJtSBiok

Post Edited (Tue 27 Apr 21:34)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 21:42

Yeah the two headers from Daily were heart in mouth moments.

I think either the Sun or the Record did a poll of all the managers on their tips as to who would win the league that year and everyone tipped United except Allan McGraw the Morton manager pre season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 22:01

Never, been,so nervous during a match,in recent times !
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jojo  
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 22:07

What about Tangoman in the United end ?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ballingrypar  
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 22:54

watching again on dufc archives happy days
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ballingrypar  
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 23:08

Sorry its Arab Archives
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Tue 27 Apr 23:14

What a day.

Even still the commentary from Jock Brown is tattooed in my brain.

“Maxwell trying to take care....and Petrie scores, first blood to Dunfermline”

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 28 Apr 01:04

Think that's my best moment watching The Pars and I'm proud to say I was there with my dad. Days like that make all the recent dross worthwhile.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Wed 28 Apr 01:28

Quote:

Par, Tue 27 Apr 21:32

Was an amazing day, I`ve never heard the Pars fans making so much noise. The press wrote us off in the morning papers and Pars fans gave it to them big in the press boxes at the back of the stand and seemingly the noise from the fans was loud enough in the dressing rooms below our stand for Bert Paton not to need to give a half time team talk he just left it to the fans.

We rode our luck but we did have someone looking after us from above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQrYJtSBiok

Thanks for the link ,great times
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Wed 28 Apr 02:36

Me and my dad couldn't get a ticket for love nor money for that. Ended up listening to that on the Radio in the car park in Matalan in Seafield near Leith. Don't think I've celebrated as hard as that for a game I wasn't at. Punching the roof furiously. What a season

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ladswell_Thistle  
Date:   Wed 28 Apr 10:55

The atmosphere in the Pars end was absolutely magic that day.
To me that is what football is all about. Challenging for the league, big noisy crowds, nerves a jangling, queuing for hours to get a ticket on the morning of the game, two fingers up to everyone who thought United would win, the passion, players and fans so United with each other, doing it for Norrie. Watching it again makes it feel like it was yesterday. Can't believe it was 25 years ago!
There's only one Petrie!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Wed 28 Apr 11:40

Sure I`ve said this before but all week I was pestering my dad about going to the game and he was telling me that it was all ticket, that he wouldn`t be able to get any, etc. On the morning of the game I still hoped for good news. Nope. Read the famous preview in the Sun pull-out and went through to the kitchen with my dirty dishes to see a wee brown envelope on the counter. Had a look inside and there they were - tickets for the game. Fantastic. The journey up, parking, heading up to our seats then the game itself. Wanting to both simultaneously stay and applaud the players and soak in the atmosphere but also run back to the car to hear what the pundits were saying on Sportsound and knowing it was going to be on Sportscene at night.. what a day! I know Martin Hardie day was arguably bigger with it being at home and against Raith, but I think Tannadice tops the lot.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Wed 28 Apr 13:24

I had an invitation to hospitality that day and all week I was going to call off because of the thought of them coming into the lounge afterwards with the trophy and our noses getting rubbed in it.
Anyway I decided to go and obviously it was a great day if a bit nervy in the later stages. It was a shame that there weren't many Utd fans left in the lounge after the game to see the grins on our faces.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Apr 13:46

Quote:

kelty_par, Wed 28 Apr 11:40

Sure I`ve said this before but all week I was pestering my dad about going to the game and he was telling me that it was all ticket, that he wouldn`t be able to get any, etc. On the morning of the game I still hoped for good news. Nope. Read the famous preview in the Sun pull-out and went through to the kitchen with my dirty dishes to see a wee brown envelope on the counter. Had a look inside and there they were - tickets for the game. Fantastic. The journey up, parking, heading up to our seats then the game itself. Wanting to both simultaneously stay and applaud the players and soak in the atmosphere but also run back to the car to hear what the pundits were saying on Sportsound and knowing it was going to be on Sportscene at night.. what a day! I know Martin Hardie day was arguably bigger with it being at home and against Raith, but I think Tannadice tops the lot.

Both days were obviously fantastic but the fact that we were underdogs for the whole season and kept on managing to hang in there and then win that game to go top will always mean its the best game I've been to.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Wed 28 Apr 14:26

Nothing will top the 95/96 season for an emotional rollercoaster for a Pars fan

Norrie`s death
The goal
Tannadice
last game of the season against Airdrie

I grew up and went to pretty much every game during the Leishman era and there were some amazing times then, but the game at Tannadice was my most memorable game ever for everything it meant to the the town, the club and supporters, we had to do it for Norrie and we did.

I have never seen so many grown men cry including Bert Paton when the championship was won amazing emotional scenes.

Post Edited (Wed 28 Apr 14:31)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SeasonedPar  
Date:   Wed 28 Apr 16:36

What an outpouring of emotion! Remember it like it was yesterday, Petrie’s goal, his sending off, Dailly hitting the bar twice, Westie’s clutch to seal it!

Most of all, I’ll remember the fans arriving, all black and white, making non-stop noise. The embarrassed looks of the press who were right behind us in the stand. The journey back, scarves streaming out of every car window.

Being a Pars fan is always a rollercoaster, which makes days like that even sweeter.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 28 Apr 17:09

Great thread and great posts from all ... kelty pars post brought a wee lump in ma throat

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Wed 28 Apr 17:15

Still to this day I believe Norrie played the last half hour when Petrie was sent off.

Thanks for video parsfan, still very emotional after 25 years.

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Wed 28 Apr 17:52

Forgot how strong United were back then.

Imagine the dymamic now adays, if they weren't comfortably top having a squad like that and spent so much, no chance Kirkwood would still be in charge come that point in the season.

Makes it an even more impressive achievement.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Wed 28 Apr 22:41

It was a great day right enough. . . .I remember going up in a minibus (think it was Storming Norman on here who organised it) and heading to a boozer before the game. The game itself needs no description from me as some of the posts above capture all the excitement and trepidation of the day. Then the journey out of Dundee and all the winding up of the United fans on the streets as we headed home. . . .straight to the pubs in the toon and the song 'there's only one Petrie' ringing out well into the wee small hours in each pub we went into.

Great times 🙂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 28 Apr 22:49

Quote:

JTH123, Wed 28 Apr 13:24

I had an invitation to hospitality that day and all week I was going to call off because of the thought of them coming into the lounge afterwards with the trophy and our noses getting rubbed in it.
Anyway I decided to go and obviously it was a great day if a bit nervy in the later stages. It was a shame that there weren't many Utd fans left in the lounge after the game to see the grins on our faces.

Am I mistaken or have you missed out the best part of that story?

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Wed 28 Apr 23:02

Quote:

TAFKA_Super_Petrie, Wed 28 Apr 17:52

Forgot how strong United were back then.

Imagine the dymamic now adays, if they weren't comfortably top having a squad like that and spent so much, no chance Kirkwood would still be in charge come that point in the season.

Makes it an even more impressive achievement.

Absolutely- Dailly and Pressley who would go on to be capped for Scotland and Malpas who had a fair few caps at that point. Guys like Andy McLaren, Brewster, Owen Coyle, McSwegan and Dave Bowman (who was an absolute welt) were quality as well. Should have strolled that League.

Awight Pat!

Post Edited (Wed 28 Apr 23:04)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Apr 23:17

Robbie Winters as well I think?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 28 Apr 23:33

United thought they only had to turn up for the games and they would win the league at a canter.

I clearly mind the opening day when they drew with Morton and I made a comment to a couple of greetin` faced Arab fans passing by - to the effect it wasn`t going to be the piece of cake they had imagined.

If memory serves Morton came very close to nicking second place that season.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Thu 29 Apr 02:20

Seen McLaren play through here in the over 35's amateur league a couple of times.

Standard in general is very good - plenty ex pros still playing as well as him and he was head and shoulders above everyone.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."

Post Edited (Thu 29 Apr 02:20)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Thu 29 Apr 09:17

Quote:

veteraneastender, Wed 28 Apr 23:33

United thought they only had to turn up for the games and they would win the league at a canter.

I clearly mind the opening day when they drew with Morton and I made a comment to a couple of greetin` faced Arab fans passing by - to the effect it wasn`t going to be the piece of cake they had imagined.

If memory serves Morton came very close to nicking second place that season.

I'm pretty sure United had Morton away last game of the season and Morton could've overtaken them. I think they drew 2-2 (which also sealed the league for us with our delayed kick off)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 29 Apr 15:05

That's absolutely correct. There's a good book which highlights that season in chapter one :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net