DAFC.net
Home 08 May 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Football Clubs with Odd Names
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Thu 29 Apr 18:27

I used to think that Scottish football clubs had the most exotic names - Queen of the South, Heart of Midlothian, Glenbuck Cherrypickers etc.

But the Ghanaian football surely wins the title - several beauties in their Premier League, such as:
Sekondi Wise Fighters
Liberty Professionals
Heart of Lions
King Faisal Babes
Dreams FC

But my favourite has to be:
Cape Coast Mysterious Ebusua Dwarfs FC.

COYD!

And apparently the Dwarfs` longest-standing rivalry is with local club Cape Coast Venomous Vipers FC!

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Football Clubs with Odd Names
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Thu 29 Apr 19:29

I’ve been to a few games in Ghana and seen some of those teams. Individually they had some good players but they didn’t gel as a team. There’s some decent stadiums there but also some of the top league grounds aren’t even as good as most junior grounds here.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 29 Apr 20:23

Unlike logical names such as..........

Tottenham Hotspur ?

Sheffield Wednesday ?

Plymouth Argyle ? (Can`t even spell correctly !!!)

Crewe Alexandra ?

Leyton Orient ?

Aston Villa ?

Port Vale ?

Accrington Stanley ?

Nottingham Forest ?

Hamilton Academical ?

Partick Thistle ?

Post Edited (Thu 29 Apr 20:24)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Thu 29 Apr 20:48

I was at the Pars 1987 pre season friendly at Shepshed Charterhouse. Does that count?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ianbd6  
Date:   Thu 29 Apr 21:07

I have been to Shepherd they had changed to Dynamo though there ground is on Butthole lane.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 29 Apr 21:11

Sheffield Wednesday, so called as originally they were a team made up of shopkeepers who got the traditional Wednesday afternoon off work and so played then. There was also a Dunfermline Wednesday, and my grandfather played with them, alongside Billy Liddells brother before their transfers to Arsenal and Liverpool respectively
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Thu 29 Apr 21:22

Went to a game in South Africa some time back and saw Kaiser Chiefs take on Orlando Pirates

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Thu 29 Apr 21:53

Cape Coast Mysterious Ebusua Dwarfs FC.

I saw them a few times when I worked in Ghana.

They played some lovely football….all on the deck, but invariably lost games due to their inability to defend set pieces.

Their goalie would never come for crosses either.

Their bitter rivals King Faisal Babes fans used to sing to the fans of the Dwarfs

“ Your just a wee team “…. This was in the late eighties before the Pars fans adopted this chant….

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Apr 21:54

Quote:

DunfyDave, Thu 29 Apr 21:22

Went to a game in South Africa some time back and saw Kaiser Chiefs take on Orlando Pirates

I predict a riot in that fixture
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Thu 29 Apr 22:13

FL Fart.

Fotballaget Fart is a Norwegian football club based in Vang outside Hamar. The club is most noted for their women`s team which played in Toppserien in 2008 and 2012. Their home matches are played at Fartbana. Norway international footballers Thorstein Helstad and Kristin Bekkevold started their careers at Fart.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Thu 29 Apr 22:21

Some cracking team names there

Post Edited (Thu 29 Apr 22:37)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Thu 29 Apr 23:14

Dunfy Dave - In the early 1980s I also watched a Kaiser Chiefs vs Orlando Pirates match (at a sold-out Ellis Park). For those that may not know they are South Africa`s best supported two clubs with fans all over the country. Seen these two quite often over the years when they have been playing my local team Maritzburg United. Also once saw Chiefs play Manchester United in a pre-season tournament here. What is great is that there is no strict crowd segregation here. At say a Maritzburg Chiefs game, Pirates fans may turn up wearing their teams shirts and may sit next to Chiefs fans and will support Maritzburg against their big rivals for the day. I was lucky enough to take part in part of a Chiefs training session in my first week in South Africa in 1980, leaving when they were about to work on their set pieces. At the time I had no idea they were such a big team. Had a soft spot for them ever since.

One oddly named club was Dangerous Darkies. They played in the top league in South Africa from 1991-92 before a few years later amalgamating with another local team and disappearing. An ex Darkies midfielder was probably our best player when I was player-coach with Pilanesberg FC in the old Bophutatswana in the early 1990s. It looks like Dangerous Darkies might have been reformed recently, but they are not in either of the main top divisions.

Currently there is a newly promoted team in the South African PSL (Professional Soccer League - the top league in the country with 16 teams) with the rather odd and long name of Tshakhuma Tsha Madzivhandila. The name is so long they are often just referred to as Tshakuma and league tables usually have them as TTM

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Apr 23:42

Quote:

RhinoPars, Thu 29 Apr 23:14

Dunfy Dave - In the early 1980s I also watched a Kaiser Chiefs vs Orlando Pirates match (at a sold-out Ellis Park). For those that may not know they are South Africa`s best supported two clubs with fans all over the country. Seen these two quite often over the years when they have been playing my local team Maritzburg United. Also once saw Chiefs play Manchester United in a pre-season tournament here. What is great is that there is no strict crowd segregation here. At say a Maritzburg Chiefs game, Pirates fans may turn up wearing their teams shirts and may sit next to Chiefs fans and will support Maritzburg against their big rivals for the day. I was lucky enough to take part in part of a Chiefs training session in my first week in South Africa in 1980, leaving when they were about to work on their set pieces. At the time I had no idea they were such a big team. Had a soft spot for them ever since.

One oddly named club was Dangerous Darkies. They played in the top league in South Africa from 1991-92 before a few years later amalgamating with another local team and disappearing. An ex Darkies midfielder was probably our best player when I was player-coach with Pilanesberg FC in the old Bophutatswana in the early 1990s. It looks like Dangerous Darkies might have been reformed recently, but they are not in either of the main top divisions.

Currently there is a newly promoted team in the South African PSL (Professional Soccer League - the top league in the country with 16 teams) with the rather odd and long name of Tshakhuma Tsha Madzivhandila. The name is so long they are often just referred to as Tshakuma and league tables usually have them as TTM

Imagine if there was a club called Dangerous Darkies here, the BLM folk would be raging
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 09:10

Thanks for the post RhinoPars.

Not sure if my memory is failing me but was there another team in South Africa with a Non-PC name - Witbank Black Aces?

I'm sure I saw them play against Wits University - Wits translates from Afrikaans into English as "White University".

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 09:17

I'm sure there is a club in South America that rangers fans would like called "always ready "

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 10:04

Yes there was Dave but it is now defunct and I think it may have become Mpumalanga Black Aces before its franchise was bought out and moved to Cape Town to form Cape Town City. Wikipedia says about Mpumalanga Black Aces that .. "The original club was founded in 1937 by dairy workers. The club folded after finishing 14th in the National First Division inland stream in 2002. The club had also been known as Ukhumba Black Aces, Witbank Black Aces and Super Kurl Aces during its existence. The current club is the second incarnation and they entered the South African football league in 2007 when the Polokwane-based City Pillars league license was bought and the team was transferred to Witbank from Limpopo. The licensed was acquired in December 2006 and the team was playing under the name of Mpumalanga Black Aces in time for the 2007–08 season. In 2004, two South African businessmen George Morfou and his brother Mario bought the club side Dangerous Darkies, a Vodacom League but the team failed to win promotion to the Mvela Golden League. The Vodacom League team was renamed to Aces Academy in 2007 following the brothers` acquisition and in 2011 was renamed to AmaZayoni FC. In 2016 John Comitis purchased the franchise rights, closing the club and creating Cape Town City F.C., over 950 miles away.. I think Darkies effectively became part of Mpumalanga Black Aces.

The Wits is just a shortened form for Witwatersrand (full name is the University of the Witwatersrand) which refers to the geographical area and a 56 km long north facing scarp. This consists of hard erosion resistant quartzite metamorphic rock and has several rivers and waterfalls coming off it. Some of the scarp is in Johannesburg which is where Wits University is situated. In Afrikaans Witwatersrand means white waters edge (rather than referring to a university for white people in the apartheid era). Actually Wits was one of the most liberal universities at the forefront of the fight against apartheid. My partner was once had tear gas canisters fired near her by the police during one anti-apartheid demonstration at Wits (where she did her undergraduate degree, honours and MSc).

Post Edited (Fri 30 Apr 10:07)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 10:05

continuing...

I mentioned I had been lucky enough to join in part of a Kaizer Chiefs training session. This was actually at Wits University sports fields in the University (where I was at the time in 1980). It was my first week in the country and I had taken a football down to do a bit of ball work and training. I saw this largely black team doing some training but didn`t think anything of it as I knew Wits was multi-racial. I asked if I could join in, and one of the players said I`d had better speak with the coach which I did. I told him I had been playing football at University and was about to go to the bush and he told me who they were and that I was welcome to join in until they started working on set pieces. We did just did some basic ball control work before some running training but it wasn`t too hard. Was more really a bit of fitness training and warm up for the main work they were to do on set pieces. I said thanks and left at that point. I remembered the odd team name and when I told a new South African colleague that evening who I had trained with he spluttered What!! before going on to explain just how big a club they were. I just had thought it was some very well organised local club knowing Wits was multi-racial and anti-apartheid. It turns out their coach at the time that I spoke to (the late Eddie Lewis who played for Man Utd. PNE, West Ham and Leyton Orient) who had said OK to me joining in for a bit had also previously been coach of the Wits University side in the top league. Kaizer Chiefs were having problems with getting training facilities and Wits kindly helped Chiefs out and let them use their facilities. So that was why they were there that day. I think Wits and Chiefs even used to have the odd bounce training games at that time.

Post Edited (Fri 30 Apr 10:10)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 10:08

The OP had me browsing the internet to discover the story behind some of the team names we have known since childhood but never really thought about.

The two exotic Scottish ones- Heart of Midlothian and Queen of the South- were established terms before the football clubs came into being. Hearts most likely took their Walter Scott inspired name from a cricket club in the mid 19th century. QOS adopted their name from a poetic description of Dumfries used by a local politician from around the same time. Brechin City is entitled to the term ‘city’ due to the cathedral that has been in the town since medieval times.

Leyton Orient probably comes from a founding member who worked for a shipping company with ‘Orient’ in its name. Aston Villa came direct from a church whose cricketers formed a football club; the root is geographical since ‘Aston’ comes from Old English meaning ‘a hill on the east’ and the ‘villa’ is thought to be a reference to a big house in that area. Plymouth Argyle is a real puzzle. There was an ‘Argyle Bar’ in the town and a street named that as well, so it’s assumed the inaugural meeting to form the club was held in the bar. But what a seemingly Gaelic name was doing in Plymouth is unclear.

Like ‘The Pars’ there is a fair amount of guesswork and supposition about how these teams’ names originated.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 11:51

team in uganda league called police fc dont know if they are police team took them few times on my coupon

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 15:32

Quote:

bigdonnie, Fri 30 Apr 11:51

team in uganda league called police fc dont know if they are police team took them few times on my coupon

You then may then be interested in Zesco United that play in the top Zambian division. Zesco is the national electricity supplier in Zambia. Or closer to home Civil Service Strollers.

Post Edited (Fri 30 Apr 20:15)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: THE_TECHNICIAN  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 15:47

Peruvian legends Deportivo Wanka, no idea how they aquired that name though.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 18:27

The Plymouth Argyle name intrigued me sammer so I googled it and there are many suggestions that the name is linked to the Argyle and Southern Highlanders this link perhaps the best explanation

https://sqaf.club/why-are-plymouth-argyle-called-argyle/

Post Edited (Fri 30 Apr 18:29)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net