DAFC.net
Home 27 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 David Cox
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Thu 29 Apr 23:33

Player many of you will know tonight walked out of the stadium after a disgusting jibe at his poor mental health by Johnathan Tiffoney of Stenhousemuir. ‘You should have done it right the first time’ was the remark. David recorded a live video on Facebook just after it explaining what had happened. Unfortunately the officials never heard anything so nothing could be done. He has now chose to quit the game all together!

This sort of thing is absolutely vile. An absolute sin that a man is hit with comments like these. The player should be banned from football for life. Some of the stuff going on in football just now actually puts me right off it.

R Soles the lot of them.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: David Cox
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 05:52

I`m all for a bit of back and forth on the pitch but that is disgusting if he has said that. Mental health is a very serious thing that shouldn`t be mocked. How would Tiffoney feel if David Cox walked off the pitch and actually ended his life that night? To me, this is worse than Glen Kamara situation as it is talking about ending a life. It`s just sad that it can`t be proven, as if true, Tiffoney should be given a major ban.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 05:55

Let’s hope Tiffoney gets the punishment he deserves and Cox gets the help and support he requires ?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yvb-par  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 07:17

This truly hurts me, the attitude that people have towards Mental Health shows a great need for education. It is no wonder that there is still stigma and discrimination towards this, which will in effect stop some people from opening up and coming forward looking for help.

Dunfermline as a football club truly are groundbreaking and on the front foot. Having a Mental Health Ambassador, I've been told the first In Scottish football, delivering awareness and education to the players. The under 20s and reserves had a session before the pandemic struck, just as it was about to go to the first team. We work closely together as a team with myself, club chaplain and one of the Directors on the BOD. This is really going from strength to strength.

I know that David Cox is a patron for Back Onside, which is a Mental Health charity which gives support through sport, and one that DAFC have gone into a working partnership with.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 09:18

Tiffoney has previous - what are Stenhousemuir saying about this latest "indiscretion" ?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/alloa-footballer-who-filmed-romp-3947385

Post Edited (Fri 30 Apr 09:19)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 09:32

Sounds like a rather unsavoury individual based on that story. While it's probably the worst bit of verbal abuse I've heard of on the pitch, would it be a sending off offence if the ref heard it?
I know in cricket, 'sledging' is the use of verbal abuse to intimidate or put the opponent off their game. I'm sure footballers engage in the same type of thing on the park, anything that will knock the opponent of there game.
There was also the Kamara incident in the Slavia Prague game, which had the perpetrators desired effect, as his opponents completely lost the plot.
At the end of the day, although it's not nice, it's just words, a lot better than a knee high tackle
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 09:44

If you are suffering from mental health words can be way worse than physical pain.

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 09:59

Red star par you’re showing a total lack of understanding of mental health issues which is incredibly naive of you.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 10:03

Surely if a ref had heard that it’s a straight red, that’s not even up for debate, is it?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 10:13

Awful incident. Hopefully he'll be ok and gets the support he needs.

Hope the other lad gets help as well. Clearly in need of an education, something along the lines has gone wrong for that lad.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 10:45

Cox was actually on the bench and Tiffoney was playing. Stenhousemuir issued a statement after the match :-

"The club is aware of a verbal altercation.

"We have spoken to the players involved, David Cox (Albion Rovers) who was on the bench, and Jonathan Tiffoney (Stenhousemuir) who was playing.

"Both players are making claims of serious and wholly inappropriate comments being made during the game that have implications for player wellbeing and mental health.

"Whilst we accept that things can get said during a game, we believe the allegations are sufficiently serious enough to merit a more detailed investigation."

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParfectXI  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 10:57

Red Star as someone who suffers from mental health issues and has had thoughts of suicide it’s much more than words.

When you suffer from depression you feel worthless, like nobody cares, like you have no friends and you are just a hindrance to your family and they would be better off without you. When someone says something like that to you it’s like giving an affirmation that all your dark thoughts are correct and life would be better off for everyone without you. It’s not just words.

A lot of the time (and in my case) you don’t know what is the cause for these thoughts so talking about it is difficult because you don’t know the reason yourself.

I really hope David Cox has the support of people today to take his mind off things because sometimes that’s better than talking about it especially as I said before if you don’t know why you feel that way.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 11:03

Great post mate.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 12:05

Going by the Stenhousemuir statement it seems both players were involved - that`s the claim.

As for investigation - they don`t have to go far, Davie Irons is a serving police officer I believe.

Hardly in a neutral corner though.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jbob  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 12:30

Red star

Get a grip min

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 12:33

I think Davie Irons left Stenhousemuir recently, vee.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 12:35

Vee - I think Davy Irons announced his resignation from the club a few weeks ago - i cant remember whether it was with immediate effect or at end of season.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 12:53

Quote:

red-star-par, Fri 30 Apr 09:32

Sounds like a rather unsavoury individual based on that story. While it's probably the worst bit of verbal abuse I've heard of on the pitch, would it be a sending off offence if the ref heard it?
I know in cricket, 'sledging' is the use of verbal abuse to intimidate or put the opponent off their game. I'm sure footballers engage in the same type of thing on the park, anything that will knock the opponent of there game.
There was also the Kamara incident in the Slavia Prague game, which had the perpetrators desired effect, as his opponents completely lost the plot.
At the end of the day, although it's not nice, it's just words, a lot better than a knee high tackle

Sunday marks the day a dear friend committed suicide, words killed him.
I'd rather he was here recovering from a knee high tackle, as do his family.

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 14:23

Sorry to hear that Rasta.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 14:32

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Fri 30 Apr 14:23

Sorry to hear that Rasta.

Very kind, been a few years now, sure the pain dulls, of course it does, the memories still shine bright.

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 14:35

Idiotic comment to make to anyone but worse given he was clearly aware of Cox's previous struggles.

People say stupid things, unfortunately. To some it's water off a ducks back but to others it can be agonising. I'm always proud of all the mental health work the club does, particularly for men who often find it harder to talk (not suggesting some women aren't affected too).

An apology is in order and maybe a chat to get an understanding of Cox's perspective.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 14:51

That`s the thing that`s often missed - people are different and just because it might be `only words` to one person, those words can have a devastating affect on another person, particularly so if there are other issues in that person`s life at that time. And sometimes it doesn`t even have to be anything abusive. As an example, a trigger of mine is when someone asks me, usually critically, `why are you so serious?`. the answer is `I just am`, but being criticised for it can make me feel inadequate, depending on my own mental state at that time. It`s never `just words`.

It`s a difficult one in competitive sport, though. I think it`s legitimate to try to get an advantage by nipping away at your opponent, but obviously there`s a line that can`t be crossed. We saw it with the stuff aimed at Dean Shiels and, although the deails of last night`s incident are not yet clear, if it was a reference to suicidal thoughts then that too is obviously way too far. But, in the heat of a game, I can see how a player who is generally a decent person can cross the line and say something unacceptable.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 15:07

"I think Davie Irons left Stenhousemuir recently, vee."

Slipped under the radar - thanks for the correction.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 15:13

Good post Socks. None of us know what was said between these two individuals. Tiffoney has perhaps had something said to him and has lashed out and made a comment that he`d maybe in hindsight wished he hadn`t said.
Has Cox said something to Tiffoney that, to you or me doesn`t seem that bad, but to Tiffoney is very hurtful and dents his self esteem?

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 15:54

I see that the incident is now on the BBC news app. I just hope that David Cox can get over this agony.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARSpars  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 17:34

No matter what people think of Cox with what he gets up to on the park and how he acts over the years, there is a line thats been more than crossed here by the stenny lad.

Struggled hugely with mental health for the last 10 years or so, so when heard about this i couldnt imagine what he was feeling last night, and just fact was sat in his van waiting to drive home in his video my 1st thought was hope he gets home safe 1st and foremost to his family.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Polt  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 21:33

Everyone has a trigger and everyone knows even old players talk about trying to gain advantage against an opponent. Some former players have used words to fire up a temper to try and get them sent off. Some go in hard to give notice of how the games gonna be.

Like in life though there has to be a limit... What the stenny boy done and regardless what he say's it is like kamara incident. You do not react that way unless something has really cut you to the bone. That is a subject that should never be used to gain advantage. It is disgusting. Plain and simple and the is zero excuse.

Everyone is made different, tolerance, levels of respect, beliefs, self belief, confidence all affect mental health which in this day and age (covid/isolation) has been more challenging. Seen 2 of my friends admitted to mental health facilities recently. Time to deal with issues like this.

Proud that the pars are once again leading the way with mental health
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 21:36

Totally agree polt.I admire your stance.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 22:32

I`m not clear how anyone would gain an advantage by winding up someone who was sitting on the bench. According to Stenny`s statement there was interaction between the players so I suppose the question is `Who started it`? There`s no excuse for what was said to Cox though.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Polt  
Date:   Sun 2 May 08:01

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 30 Apr 22:32

I`m not clear how anyone would gain an advantage by winding up someone who was sitting on the bench. According to Stenny`s statement there was interaction between the players so I suppose the question is `Who started it`? There`s no excuse for what was said to Cox though.

You don’t think that it would affect the performance of his team members? ... that type of comment would have me raging, losing focus on what I am meant to be doing. So I believe there would be
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sun 2 May 09:14

Wonder how strong the Stenny players mental fortitude will be as the (rightfully) appalled response from all quarters means I can’t help but feel he may be a target when fans are back next season

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 May 09:58

We don`t know to what extent Cox`s team-mates were aware of the comments at the time but no doubt they were made aware of them at half-time. Tiffoney has denied making them of course so we should await the outcome of the investigation before coming to any conclusions.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 2 May 18:09

P, hopefully the Stenny players aren`t abused or nothing has been learned.

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 May 10:35

Great point TOWK

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 May 11:17

"Tiffoney has denied making them of course so we should await the outcome of the investigation before coming to any conclusions."

He`s stated that he was getting abuse from the Albion Rovers dugout/bench during the first half................so maybe there`s more to this than initially reported.

Not that that is any excuse for what`s alleged to have directed at David Cox.

Post Edited (Mon 03 May 11:18)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net