DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Regular Season final position
Topic Originator: cfad  
Date:   Sat 1 May 09:47

To reflect (with realism). Inconsistencies across the season from us, started strong and came flying out the traps, with some strong performances, then fell away and saw some poor performances. Some of our squad continue to have potential, others need cleared out. We have finished 4th, and secured a play off spot, which was ultimately the pre season goal. Can't argue with Hearts finishing above us, and probably not Dundee either, this could have easily been predicted before the season started. Raith have been the surprise package after being promoted last year, and fair play to them.
So to the playoffs. Heart is hoping we can manage a road into the promised land of the Premiership, but head is saying the odds of us winning through three 2 legged ties is just a step too far with the present squad/manager. I'd be happy knocking out the Rovers and ending their season on a downer, if that's where it ends, fine. We go again with a new squad next year and build on this season. Overall, given our playoff finish, my regular season score is 7/10. A decent effort, but more to do.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Regular Season final position
Topic Originator: Pars_1986  
Date:   Sat 1 May 10:37

Said pretty much the same thing to a rovers supporter at my work. It would be good to get through the play offs and go up but realistically I would be happy just beating the rovers to keep them down beside us and then hope the Grangemouth mob come up via the play offs aswell. For me it would make for a more entertaining and interesting season than struggling up in the Premiership every week
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Sat 1 May 11:44

I don’t think you can say that we have that much to build on for next season to be honest. The reason I was looking forward to Crawfords first full season was the promise of building a team with young talent with a plan moving forward, with attractive high press football. With that, an appreciation that things were going to be bumpy at time with a young team. But the reality was an over reliance on loan players and underperformance. This season similar story for me. Results and at times performances were good at the very start, but since October with maybe 2 or 3 decent performances, this has been one of the worst seasons I have ever seen as a Pars fan. The football is turgid to watch. The team is littered with loan players who provide occasional glimpses of good play but far too often don’t perform. There doesn’t seem to be a plan for midfield at all. If this season had been a full one, we would not have finished 4th I don’t think. Our goalkeeping position is an issue, our defence is...ok I think, midfield a mess and up front we seem fine but in severe need of service.

Appreciate we have completed the minimum objective, but as we hurtle into the playoffs, even the most optimistic Pars fan would have difficulty seeing us win through.

To that end, while we are still in with a chance of going up, I will always support the team. But if we are unsuccessful we need a real change and implementation of strategy, management and coaching.

For me score if we were to be successful and go up, would be a 7/10 - because it’s been awful stuff to watch so far but would be a huge achievement getting up through the playoffs. If as expected we don’t make it, I think 4/10 and I feel generous with that considering how many awful performances there have been in the season. Some tough decisions needed at the club this summer to get a plan to take this club forward, sentiment should NOT play a part...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: evo!  
Date:   Sat 1 May 12:30

I would have taken 4th. Its funny though to compare it with the 17/18 season where we also finished 4th. That season had a bit in common, strong start and a bad middle and no consistent centre midfield pairing/trio and lots of loans. Maybe that`s just Scottish football nowadays

I felt more optimistic in 18 though, likely cause we ended that season so well with a long winning run where as here we won 2 of the last 7 or 8 approx.

We had that momentum, and while Raith and Dundee`s end of season here has not been as good as ours in 2018, i still feel they will have better momentum than us. And the recent wins against us help too.

Its therefore a shame the regular season ends with these concerns rather than just excitement like in 18, and so agree a 6/7 is a solid score for the season.

I like our defense, strikers and wingers, but the central midfield despite some good players need to be better..or at least no our best pairing

BEAST!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sun 2 May 09:07

Truthfully we finished 4th due to like ourselves the inconsistencies of the teams around us, we were dominated in midfield in most games and our mainstream players blew hot and cold for most of the season . a bit more consistency would have seen us possibly challenging for top spot . 5/10

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sun 2 May 11:36

I think majority of us would’ve been really happy with 4th, it’s just the manner in which we got there that’ll have disappointed many. That excellent start could well have also raised expectations.

If we didn’t go on the unbeaten run and the W’s were spread a little more among our poorer stretch think some would view the season a little differently.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 2 May 14:16

Quote:

Berry, Sun 2 May 11:36

I think majority of us would’ve been really happy with 4th, it’s just the manner in which we got there that’ll have disappointed many. That excellent start could well have also raised expectations.

If we didn’t go on the unbeaten run and the W’s were spread a little more among our poorer stretch think some would view the season a little differently.

I completely agree with Berry on this thread..... ☺

It's similar to the difference between going 2 or 3 goals down in a game and salvaging a draw and going 2 or 3 goals up and being pegged back. Both teams get a point, but the feelings in each dressing will be diametrically opposed.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Sun 2 May 16:26

I’ll take issue with the statement “majority of us would have been really happy with 4th”.

At the start of the season if you were to poll the support the average expectation was to finish 3rd behind dundee and Hearts. Back then if you were to say 4th I think you’d have got a “meh” response from the “majority”. Certainly not really happy.

Look, I get the whole let’s try and be positive etc but let’s not go rewriting history and try and attempt to accept this seasons performances so far. Unless they pull it out the bag and win the playoffs, this has been an eye wateringly bad season, with some horrendous football and some awful results.

You may have a point about the journey to 4th having started well and tailed off, but again when reviewing the season as a whole, I’d still expect the majority of our support to see this as a disappointment.

Regardless, let’s hope for good results in the playoffs!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sun 2 May 16:34

I think on the basis we had Crawford going into the new season, a manager not many of us were convinced with (and still not), I think most would’ve taken fourth, third isn’t that much of a difference unless you’re looking at it from a financial perspective.

The objectives were the playoffs, Hearts have been poorer than I imagined but they were still always going to win the league. I had pegged Dundee and Inverness to be ahead of us so was content with fourth.

Raith were the surprise package for me, even after their promising start I figured they’d lose momentum but they didn’t and credit to them. Pity their season ends next week.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Polt  
Date:   Mon 3 May 02:36

For me it’s the fact we had 2nd and held it for so long, we had opportunity to create a gap and never. That’s the only disappointment I have as at the start yes I would have taken 4th. 3rd/4th just adds 2 more games to try and achieve our overall ambitions.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Mon 3 May 07:08

For me the position is just abt acceptable . We limped into 4th , in what I thought was a pretty average championship .
The style of play however , that's a different matter .
We looked to have built a squad with plenty of creativity , but our play for the most part was utterly boring and seemed to be set up to try and nick a goal and then kill the game .
Don't think we'll go up , but if we're not , at least let's fail trying to play fitba .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net