DAFC.net
Home 22 June 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 It isnt a case of can we do it....
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 1 May 17:31

We can.
We definately have the ability.

Its more a case of will we do it?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: It isnt a case of can we do it....
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Sat 1 May 17:51

we got improve on horrendous away record 13 games away without a win since we beat arbroath

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Sat 1 May 19:45

Quote:

PARrot, Sat 1 May 17:31

We can.

Managerial ability and tactics also come into it. We are lacking with that.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 1 May 19:54

If we`d started the season poorly and finished strongly but still ended up 4th with 39 points, would fans have viewed it as a success?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Sat 1 May 19:55

If I was playing the pars at home I would go for a draw at EEP in the 1st leg as it would give a massive advantage as our away record is poor.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The moose  
Date:   Sat 1 May 20:18

Dream on.

BCM
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 May 20:24

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 1 May 19:54

If we`d started the season poorly and finished strongly but still ended up 4th with 39 points, would fans have viewed it as a success?

You are one of those posters that doesn't have much of an opinion but seems to stamp all over everyone else's. In that scenario I wouldn't view as a success but I would be more confident going into the Play offs having a bit of form or momentum behind us.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 May 20:33

I don`t have `much of an opinion`? Why do I get labelled as a `happy clapper` then? And am I not allowed to disagree with other folks` opinions?

FWIW, I don`t think it matters much whether you start strongly and finish weakly or vice versa. It`s your position at the end of the season that matters. I think our form has picked up since the last time we played the Rovers and I think the teams are quite evenly matched. It`s all to play for.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Sat 1 May 21:40

You probably get labelled a happy clapper ( Hate that term) because you`re never critical of anything. Nothing wrong with being positive but anything that`s remotely critical in your opinion and you get defensive. Just my opinion of course but everyone sees things differently.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 1 May 21:41

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 1 May 20:33

FWIW, I don`t think it matters much whether you start strongly and finish weakly or vice versa. It`s your position at the end of the season that matters. I think our form has picked up since the last time we played the Rovers and I think the teams are quite evenly matched. It`s all to play for.

I can't agree with you on that, wee eck. Psychologically, there's a world of difference between finishing strongly and finishing poorly, whether that is in a single game or over a whole season. Imagine a game in which a team races into a 2 or 3 goal lead and ends up drawing. For that it team, it feels like a defeat - for their opponents, it's a great point. Extend that to a whole season, a team which starts poorly but goes on a good late run to make the play offs has momentum and will be feeling very positive. The team that limps in, thanks to good early results, will be low in confidence and morale.

This holds true in all competitive sports. In my very first race, the Dunfermline Half Marathon, I set off far too fast, in spite of warnings to start slowly from experienced runners. Other runners started to overtake me from 5 miles out as I started to tire. Although I finished inside my target time, I was completely demoralised at the end. 10 years later, I ran in the one and only Dunfermline to Edinburgh Marathon. As a result of arriving quite close to the starting time in Pittencrieff Park and having to take my change of clothes up to the road just down from the Museum, I had to line up at the very rear of the field. For 16 miles, I passed many slower runners. The feeling was incredible. After that, I was running with others of similar speed. No one overtook me and vice versa. When we neared Meadowbank Stadium, I was able to find an extra gear and finished very strongly to record my best marathon time. I don't think I could have achieved that without the enforced slow start.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Murchadh  
Date:   Sat 1 May 21:56

We are going up.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sat 1 May 22:06

Thanks for that GG. Slightly off the point but did you do better than 1hr 32 minutes 0 seconds, for the half marathon?

As for the Pars it seems that Parrot is a massive optimist. No problem with that unless it`s empty optimism. He is correct in believing we can do it. Our progress to this point has been less than inspiring. Dire, some might (and do) say. Going on recent form, (which is a good guide for our chances) we have little hope of winning three home and away ties to make it into the Premier league. But stranger things have happened and in the crazy world of football ⚽️ does happen. Take it one tie at a time and let`s see where it takes us. And whoopee, maybe we`ll get back to EEP in August.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 May 22:09

`You probably get labelled a happy clapper ( Hate that term) because you`re never critical of anything`

That`s absolute rubbish.

GGR, I don`t disagree with what you`re saying but I don`t think we`ve finished the season weakly. I think that, since the debacles (am I allowed to say that as a `happy clapper`?) at Dundee and Kirkcaldy, we`ve rediscovered some of the form we were showing in the early part of the season so can go into the play-offs with some confidence.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Sat 1 May 22:35

That`s absolute rubbish! Okay a few examples will clarify that. It`s not been a great season so I`m sure you`ll find a few posts where you`ve been critical.

Post Edited (Sat 01 May 23:37)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sat 1 May 22:41

I agree with GG. Many QOS fans are probably looking forward to next season because of the run they went on and narrowly missing out on 4th spot. Whereas we know we lost our mojo in December and would have been in deep doodoo had it not been for our great start.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 May 22:57

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 1 May 22:09

`You probably get labelled a happy clapper ( Hate that term) because you`re never critical of anything`

That`s absolute rubbish.

GGR, I don`t disagree with what you`re saying but I don`t think we`ve finished the season weakly. I think that, since the debacles (am I allowed to say that as a `happy clapper`?) at Dundee and Kirkcaldy, we`ve rediscovered some of the form we were showing in the early part of the season so can go into the play-offs with some confidence.

When I have read this forum you don't appear to have an opinion on anything but you are all over what everyone has to say. Your perogative .
I'm going into the Play Offs with an open mind but surely you can acknowledge if we went into the Play Offs with our early season form up to the Hearts home game rather than undeservedly scrambling over the line against Arbroath at home and previous to that getting absolutely smashed by Raith and Dundee our Play Off rivals then we would be in a better head space no?

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sat 1 May 23:07

I agree with GG in this thread ;-).

Although I always think when you’re on a really good run come the end, finishing strong, you always worry that L is lurking around the corner.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars232  
Date:   Sat 1 May 23:19

Am I right to say we’ve only won one play off game, ever?

Regardless it’s safe to say we have a pretty poor record in the play offs, our luck has to change. We have the ability for sure, but it depends on the player and management mindset to get us through these games. Raith are no fools, we need to match Mcglynn tactically.

Post Edited (Sat 01 May 23:28)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 May 23:29

`When I have read this forum you don`t appear to have an opinion on anything but you are all over what everyone has to say. Your perogative .
I`m going into the Play Offs with an open mind but surely you can acknowledge if we went into the Play Offs with our early season form up to the Hearts home game rather than undeservedly scrambling over the line against Arbroath at home and previous to that getting absolutely smashed by Raith and Dundee our Play Off rivals then we would be in a better head space no?`

What are you discussing now if not my opinion? I`ve been contributing to this forum for over 10 years and people disagree with me all the time! How does that happen if I don`t express my opinion?

The weakness in your argument about form is that if the early season form disappeared after the Hearts game who`s to say it wouldn`t disappear as soon as we started the play-offs? I don`t think last week`s win against Arbroath was `undeserved` and I`ve already said that I think our form has improved since the visits to Dundee and Raith. We`re in a much better place than we were 5 or 6 weeks ago.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cfad  
Date:   Sat 1 May 23:34

Optimism, pessimism, realism, delusionalism? Ultimately we're all Pars fans (Parsisim?) ;-)

Post Edited (Sat 01 May 23:43)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sun 2 May 00:53

Quote:

Murchadh, Sat 01 May 21:56

We are going up.

This^^
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sun 2 May 06:51

It is a huge ask to go through six games and come out on top. I think I will reserve judgment until I see which Dunfermline comes out to play against the Rovers midweek.

If it`s the hungry one, then yes, perhaps. If it`s the one that recently shamed and embarrassed us at Starks Park, then no, season end will have arrived nice and quick.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 May 07:29

Quote:

Berry, Sat 1 May 23:07

I agree with GG in this thread ;-).

Although I always think when you’re on a really good run come the end, finishing strong, you always worry that L is lurking around the corner.

Oh come on, Berry - we agree on just about everything. We've even agreed to disagree about the jag - I think? 🙂

Paralex, you'll be delighted to learn that my PB for the half marathon is a snail paced 96 mins 36 secs. ☹

I can boast a time of 3hrs 42 mins for a full Marathon, however. That separates the men from the boys, as any long distance runner will tell you. As for ultra distance runners, they're just mental. ☺

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Sun 2 May 07:39

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SeasonedPar  
Date:   Sun 2 May 08:49

Quote:

PARrot, Sat 01 May 17:31

We can.

Are you H?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SeasonedPar  
Date:   Sun 2 May 08:52

What better way to avenge that last defeat than humping them on Tuesday night?

Let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves, but a good result could make the return a formality. Could.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bucuresti Par  
Date:   Sun 2 May 09:08

Our away form has been poor obviously, although I can think of a few games where we have been a little unfortunate - we should have got in front and beaten Alloa on Friday, similarly we were dominant down at QOS and didn`t score. The draw up at Inverness could have been a win and we played well at Tynecastle where we probably deserved a point again could have had all 3 had we gone in front.

At the same time we have perhaps been a bit fortunate to pick up more points at home than some of the performances have deserved.

I can think of only 3 games where we have been comprehensively outplayed, the disaster in Kirkcaldy and the last two games with Dundee - that`s clearly a concern giving that we will need to try and beat both these teams. If Crawford sets the team out in a decent way, with the players we`ve got we have a chance. The defence is solid, there`s quality on the wings and goals in the forwards - enough reasons to be optimistic.

It`s a critical time for Craw, even if we got knocked out by Raith we need to go down fighting, playing decent football.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 2 May 09:15

I don't think any of the 3 teams in the play offs have went on an amazing run of form to grab a play of spot, Dundee possibly but certainly not us or Raith

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 May 09:16

Given a choice, most fans (and possibly the manager and players, too) would have preferred to have played the 2nd leg at EEP, but statistically there's no evidence to suggest that this is a significant advantage.

If we win by 3 goals or more the tie will be effectively over before the visit to the San Starko. 🙂

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sun 2 May 09:22

Famous last words, GG...

:)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Foghorn Leghorn  
Date:   Sun 2 May 09:27

We still don’t need to win our away game to go through. I reckon we can take both Raith and Dundee over 2 games.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cfad  
Date:   Sun 2 May 09:39

Quote:

GG Riva, Sun 02 May 09:16

Given a choice, most fans (and possibly the manager and players, too) would have preferred to have played the 2nd leg at EEP, but statistically there's no evidence to suggest that this is a significant advantage.

If we win by 3 goals or more the tie will be effectively over before the visit to the San Starko. 🙂

Being at home first could stand in our favour for this tie. Away form not great so if we were to go to Starks first and get defeated it could have been tie over with knocked confidence. Getting a result first at EEP fires us up for the away tie and puts all the pressure on Raith. Not sure it's as much of an issue as normal given no fans in the grounds though.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 May 09:54

It`s hard to understand the disparity between home and away form but it doesn`t just affect the Pars and it`s not always away form that suffers. Everton have taken only 19 points from 17 home games but have gained 33 points from 16 away games! Even the great man Carlo Ancelotti can`t explain it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sun 2 May 11:08

I can go back to that Cowdenbeath game, when we had the upper hand and went into our second leg at home and we got schooled. I genuinely thought going into it we’d have it in the bag.

I think in the playoffs with that different mindset players will have, and certainly with the added factor of no fans, playing home or away first doesn’t really matter.

Although...I’d still prefer home second. :)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Sun 2 May 11:16

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 2 May 12:07

In a normal scenario the away team would carry a big support in games of this importance, so home advantage is of far less significant, especially in the current circumstances........although it`s better to play away in the first match.

I reckon we have no more than a 50/50 chance of moving on to play Dundee, and less than that if we do meet them.

The SPL team will be hard to shift, regardless of who goes through.

Post Edited (Sun 02 May 14:01)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sun 2 May 13:24

The disappointment of the Cowden playoff game had such an effect on my wee lad that he wouldn't go back the following season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 May 13:39

I can assure you GG that any satisfaction I took from my half marathon time evaporated when a lassie ran past in the final 100 yards but as they say, "You`ve got to be in it to win it". At this stage the Pars are in it, with a chance to win it. We have some very good players and some with those magical talents that can change the outcome of a game. We have something to aim for right at the end of the season and the least we can do is look on with optimism.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Sun 2 May 14:45

Depends how long you look back regards form. The last game rested many players and gave some fringe players a run out in what was highly likely to be a dead rubber. What matters for me is that we did well in our previous two crucial “must win” games against Queens and Arbroath. Our away form and inconsistency worries me, but like Oz let’s hope it is the fighting team (with key players on form and keeping the ball on the deck) that turns up (rather than the lackluster one playing aimless hoof ball). We need our top players to play well, but we have a chance if we stand up and are counted when it really matters.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: incognito  
Date:   Sun 2 May 20:17

More chance of us signing Maradona.

"Did you see what happened to the magic car?

It turned into a street!"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Sun 2 May 22:07

Honestly with our away record it’s not going to happen... even if we beat Raith then Dundee we will get a doing from the premier side.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 May 00:35

Is this reverse psychology or waving the white flag before a ball is kicked. Brighten up chaps, life can be very sweet.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 May 11:37

Earlier in this thread I was accused of never having an opinion on anything and simply criticising other posters for their points of view. I was also accused of never saying anything critical about the team and challenged to give examples where I had been. I must say I think both these charges are ludicrous but here is what I said in the post-match review of the recent home match v Dundee.

`Re: DAFC 0-0 Dundee
FTTopic Originator: wee eck Like: 1
Date: Wed 14 Apr 10:44

Players tend to punt the ball when team-mates give them no options to pass it. I don`t think it`s part of any game plan. We are a team totally devoid of confidence just now which doesn`t help. I think the midfield has been the main problem area for most of the season. We haven`t had a consistent combination of defence and attack in there and the Turner episode hasn`t helped that.

Thomas is another player we don`t seem to get the best out of. He has good control and change of pace and direction but he doesn`t seem to be playing far enough up the park to get to the by-line which is where wingers are most dangerous. McDaid and McMullen were much more effective in that respect last night.

I agree with Socks` comments about the referee. Clancy always looks like a guy who would rather be somewhere else.`

Everyone`s entitled to their opinion but so many people on here seem to have such fixed ideas about players, managers and even fellow-posters that they just ignore any evidence that contradicts their views.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 3 May 16:59

Hmmm. Taking dotnutters too seriously Eck. Dinnae let the raspers wrankle you.

Your posts are balanced and like me, you do have a wee go at folk who are over enthusiastically negative.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net